Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby WhiteWater ; » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:48 am

@everyone I love all the pictures, you guys have some really stunning fish!

on a side note, I may be getting flowerhorn baby for 20$ !!!
────────────
bree | female canadian | reptiles | fish | cars
hello there! i'm whitewater, but you can call me white or bree!
i'm simply a weird atlantic canadian who has a fascination with cars,
reptiles, photography, dead things and drawing! feel free to shoot
me a pm if you just simply want to talk,
or if I could help you with anything!
────────────────────
discord: WhiteWater #2061
toyhouse: whitewater
commissions: art shop
art trades: open
────────────
WhiteWater ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:48 am

Alpen wrote:i now have 3 angels, 3 guppies, and 5 swordtails. i want to eventually add some mystery or nerite snails, not sure yet. i want to also look into getting a bottom dweller......not sure what though

i'm gonna work on rescaping soon since the algae is all gone. i have some river rocks i cleaned a while back i'm excited to use :>

c: Your tank looks awesome.
For the bottom we love kuhli/java loaches. They're not shy in a big enough group and with lots of places to hide and they're so fun to watch noodle around.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Roth » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:41 am

deleted
Last edited by Roth on Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
he/they | PL/ENG | adult | anarchist | sorcerer | artist | retro tech enthusiast | clone hero player
Roth

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:37 pm

Baby endler is getting it's color. c: Sooo it's a male lol Also checked out one pet store's fish selection and they've just gotten in the same type endlers I have, so I might pick up some more at some point. Unfortunately they had mix of types in there, so it's going to be little tricky to pick the same type females as the females are pretty much all pale grey...

Also can I have oppinions about this dude's tail type? Are we thinking plakat or still growing veil tail? The tail is little droopy when he's not flaring, so I'm thinking maybe veil tail, but when he's flaring he looks so plakat I'm really not sure.
You'd also think it's easy to take pic of flaring betta as it should stay by the mirror, but not this dude...^^;
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:18 am

Hime wrote:
Alpen wrote:i finally got rid of the brown wispy algae yaaaaaay, thank goodness for flourish excel {:
*snip*
i've upped my stock a little bit!
i now have 3 angels, 3 guppies, and 5 swordtails. i want to eventually add some mystery or nerite snails, not sure yet. i want to also look into getting a bottom dweller......not sure what though

i'm gonna work on rescaping soon since the algae is all gone. i have some river rocks i cleaned a while back i'm excited to use :>

Yay, another planted tank. :) I know people here have them, but they aren't shown that often, so good to see one. Also very jelly of those swords. Corries are always my favorite bottom fish, so those would be my recommendation. Buuut plecos could work as well, especially as your tank looks pretty big.

Floofems<3 wrote:Okay so, having converted the 40 gallon aquarium I got off of gumtree into an enclosure for my dwarf hamster Pi, I don't have any fish tanks set up now ): And even though I love her to pieces, I really miss my fish, so I'm thinking on setting up my ten gallon again and convincing my mum to let me keep it in the living room. The only problem is I can't decide between getting some galaxy rasbora, a school of tetra or some sparkling gourami. Does anyone have any experience with these fish? Which do you prefer?

Thanks! c: Also, hope everyone's having a nice summer!

Out of tetras I'd only go with the smallest species as you really need a good size school of them for them to look like something and 10gal puts some limitations when it comes to size/numbers. Personally I've had green neons and they were so darn skittish even in large group, but looked very good when watched from affar and very easy fish over all. Sparkling gouramis I'm personally interested in and find them really pretty. Not the most well known fish I think, so if you can find them I would really give them a shot. ^^ Though some of the smaller gouramis are quite picky about water parameters (soft and acidic) so double check that before getting any.

And bonus of betta's hunting snails-face. :lol: He's pretty decent at it too.

I do need to learn to work my camera settings again to catch the proper light and color... But the betta has certainly colored some. Really loving the bright blue rays and those white tips on the pectorals. <3 Dorsal is pretty much all blue, but tail and lower half of his body are definetly red based with blue rays. Head on other hand is pretty dark grey toned, so maybe it'll turn blue? When flaring he really fires up that red pigment though. So who knows...

Guestion about the guppy/endler though. I don't think he's a fancy guppy, but I do wonder if he's actually a guppy-endler hybrid rather than endler. Oppinions?

I think he might be a fancy tail guppy that was crossed with a feeder guppy. I have quite a few of those and they have the most unique colors ever but usually have small tails.
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:57 pm

Naeco wrote: I think he might be a fancy tail guppy that was crossed with a feeder guppy. I have quite a few of those and they have the most unique colors ever but usually have small tails.

Had to google feeder guppy as we don't get those around... So basically a wild guppy x fancy guppy cross? Interesting. Pet/fish stores here sell this type as endler guppy (along with the more true endler form). But they really don't look so endler-y to be honest. ^^; They do seems to tolerate our soft water better than fancy guppies though, so that's a plus.

Someone please tell me an L066 pleco is not a good idea. ^^; Someone is giving one of those and another type of pleco away, and I'm reaaaally tempted considering plecos are expensive and L066 are pretty small and technically I think should fit in my tank.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Khnum-Khufu » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:27 pm

Hiya all!

I was wondering if I got get a little advice from everyone here.

My betta male has fallen ill and I don't really know what he has or what to do about it. He won't eat, has lost a lot of color, barely moves (but he can still move if he wants to, sometimes he goes up for a little breath?), continously hiding and laying on the bottom. I already did a water change in the hopes of getting rid of the problem.

Ive had him for over half a year, he's in a tank with a few fire tetras and some snails if that helps. Theyve always gotten along fine and theres plenty of plants and hiding spaces as well.

Anyone know what could be the problem? Thanks in advance for any input!

*~*~Happy holidays!~*~*
Khnum-Khufu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:54 pm

Khnum-Khufu wrote:Hiya all!

I was wondering if I got get a little advice from everyone here.

My betta male has fallen ill and I don't really know what he has or what to do about it. He won't eat, has lost a lot of color, barely moves (but he can still move if he wants to, sometimes he goes up for a little breath?), continously hiding and laying on the bottom. I already did a water change in the hopes of getting rid of the problem.

Ive had him for over half a year, he's in a tank with a few fire tetras and some snails if that helps. Theyve always gotten along fine and theres plenty of plants and hiding spaces as well.

Anyone know what could be the problem? Thanks in advance for any input!

It's hard to know what's wrong without more information, could you fill this out?
Code: Select all
[b]How many gallons is your tank?:[/b]
[b]Number and Type of fish in tank:[/b]
[b]How long has it been running?:[/b]
[b]Did you cycle it?:[/b]
[b]If possible what are the ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels?:[/b]
[b]Does it have a heater?[/b]
[b]If it has a thermometer, what is the water temperature?[/b]
[b]What is the issue or question?:[/b]
[b]Any other information?:[/b]

If you have any photos, please post them. Photos help a lot for diagnosis.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Khnum-Khufu » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:14 pm

How many gallons is your tank?: somewhere between 6.6 and 8 us gallons
Number and Type of fish in tank: 1 betta male, 9 fire/red tetras, two yellow colored snails (I dont know what theyre called in english, but here theyre called gold snails or apple snails) and two rabbit snails
How long has it been running?: the tank itself has been running for a few years, but this specific setup has existed for a little over half a year
Did you cycle it?: I haven't cycled it to my notice
If possible what are the ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels?: I currently don't know, I need a new testing kit that I cant buy till tomorrow. But I did a complete water change so I assume the levels are low
Does it have a heater? yes, its set to keept the water on 26 degrees celsius
If it has a thermometer, what is the water temperature? I dont have a thermometer, but the heater should keep it around 26 degrees celsius at all times
What is the issue or question?: my betta has become ill, wont eat, barely moves, lost color, and doesnt leave the bottom of the tank or his hiding spots
Any other information?: the other fish and snails are completely fine, Im not adding any other things (like anti-algae solutions etc), the tank gets a decent amount of sunlight everyday as well as some light when it gets dark outside. Dont know if there is anything else that I should add

I don't have any photos right now but I'll see if I can take some

But thank you for the help!

*~*~Happy holidays!~*~*
Khnum-Khufu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:56 pm

Do you have a filter?
When you say a complete water change do you mean you changed 100% of the water? Because that's not a good idea. Larger water changes (50%ish) can be fine, 100% isn't something you ever want to be doing as the differences in temperature, pH etc can shock your fish. Do you add water conditioner when you do water changes?

Unfortunately your tank is overstocked. Flame tetras get too big for your tank and need lots of space to swim about. They need a minimum of 15 gallons, ideally 20+ gallons.

To start with you might want to get a thermometer and a water test kit to rule out any water quality issues. Ammonia poisoning can cause his symptoms, as can the water being too cold. Tetras can tolerate colder temperatures than your betta which could be why only he's showing symptoms.
If you can rule those out you can start looking into other things like bacterial infection or parasites.
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me