Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby i have 10 toes » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:05 pm

hello
i have a 140 litre/35 gal tank that has some plants and marimo in it. no fishies yet though.
i am curious as to if any of you own corydoras? what kind? do you have pictures?
i like corydoras. thank you : )
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
╔══════════════════════╗

my name is molly and i love dedue. tifa is cool.

╚══════════════════════╝
████████
████████
████████
████████
████████
████████
████████
████████
████████
████████
████████
████████
████████
████████
i have 10 toes

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Opalqueenofdragons » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:50 pm

Username opalqueenofdragons or just call me opal
How many fish tanks 3tanks, 2 15 gallons, and 1 40 gallons
Types of fish you have
1 male beta
4 neon glow fish
6 neon tetras
7mystery snails
Names of your fish
Male beta is sharck and yes I know shark is spelled wrong it how my brother name is fish.
4 neon glow fish are blueberry,starwberry, banna, and pinkie
6 neon tetras fang, king Alexander the great, king gorge, sam, mia, Arby's
7 mystery snails I don't know two names, ocean, electric, gold, happy, crackers if want to learn more just message me and I had more pets to like two years in December on a Friday I had a carnival gold fish died that was 7 years old and 11 inches long if don't believe me just ask.
Hi I'm opal and I don't play the game a lot but most of my pets need homes
Opalqueenofdragons

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby angoracat » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:33 am

Username: [url=account link]angoracat[/url]
How many fish tanks do you have: Right now only three, but I've had many in the past!
Types of fish that you have: I have a community tank of zebra/pearl danios and cherry barbs right now! In the past I've had many many tetra species including Lemons, Silvertips, Bleeding Hearts, Flames, Red Eyes, and more. I have experience keeping Scissortail Rasboras, Guppies, Mollies, Dwarf Gouramis, Plecos, Otto Cats, and more! And of course, I've had many tanks of betta fish! Right now, I have one male Betta.
Your fishs' names: I don't name my community fish, but I do name the betta fish I have! I've had Stix, Bones, Ares, Nebula, Myles, Jadis, and Cirrus (current).
How long have you had fish: (do not share your age!) My whole life!
angoracat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nyhne » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:04 am

Username: Nyhne
How many fish tanks do you have: One 15 gallon, and then a 3 gallon that's mostly getting used as a quarantine tank while I stock the 15G community tank.
Types of fish that you have: 5 blood fin tetras, 4 salt and pepper corys, a yellow mystery snail, and a never ending supply of bladder snails
Your fishes' names: I don't generally name the community fish, but I'll name the "bigger" guys like bettas; I do call the mystery snail Lemon Drop c:
How long have you had fish: (do not share your age!) About a year and half.

Wish this thread was a bit more active--not sure if the original poster is still active?
formally user asiandragon; you can call me Roshon!
no pronouns preferred (they/them accepted) | adult | queer | tumblr
I haven’t been on CS in 10 years; lots of pets from 2010/2011, let’s trade!
Nyhne

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bogosbinted » Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:40 am

Username: bogosbinted
How many fish tanks do you have: 1 40b
Types of fish that you have: 1 L235 pleco & 6 pepper corys; planning on getting panda garra, more corys, and probably some tetras
Your fishs' names: TBD
How long have you had fish: (do not share your age!) a little over a week :) my tank took 2 months to cycle but now i'm gradually stocking it

bogosbinted

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kitty teeth » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:37 am

Hiii everyone! I'm currently doing some research on fish and I am debating on getting a 55 gallon or a 10 gallon. I have space for the 55, it'd be a beautiful display tank for my living room.

Pros and cons of the sizes?

If I do a 55 gal, I'd like to stock it with:
1 male betta (centerpiece fish)
10 neon tetras
1 bristlenose pleco

If I do the 10 gal, I'd like to stock it with:
1 male betta
1 assassin snail

I'd love to do a beautiful planted tank!! I'm just not sure which size I should do.
neurodivergent - adult
xxxKitty's Pound
kitty teeth

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nyhne » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:06 pm

kitty teeth wrote:Hiii everyone! I'm currently doing some research on fish and I am debating on getting a 55 gallon or a 10 gallon. I have space for the 55, it'd be a beautiful display tank for my living room.

Some of the considerations that come to my mind are:

1) Do you have furniture that could accommodate either sized tank? A gallon of water weighs roughly 8 lbs, so even a 10 gallon tank could weigh 80 lbs depending on glass thickness, substrate, decorations, plants, etc. If you're not purchasing a stand that is specifically made for aquariums, make sure whatever piece of furniture you're using is made out of solid material (no particle board!!!) and can withstand a capacity over 400 lbs.

2) How much time are you willing to invest in upkeep each week/month? Once established, the tank should do a lot of self-regulating, but even for my established 15 gallon I still spend between 30 minutes-2 hours every week doing some maintenance (replenishing water that's evaporated, adding fertilizers, plant trims/thinning, cleaning the sides, algae maintenance, vacuuming, etc.), sometimes more depending on what needs to be done. I'm sure other folks have different schedules they follow or different tolerances for upkeep, but that's just how my weeks work out.

Hope you have lots of fun regardless to what you choose!! Creating a planted tank is so fun, it'll be a joy to see it grow in. C':
formally user asiandragon; you can call me Roshon!
no pronouns preferred (they/them accepted) | adult | queer | tumblr
I haven’t been on CS in 10 years; lots of pets from 2010/2011, let’s trade!
Nyhne

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kitty teeth » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:25 am

Nyhne wrote:Some of the considerations that come to my mind are:

1) Do you have furniture that could accommodate either sized tank? A gallon of water weighs roughly 8 lbs, so even a 10 gallon tank could weigh 80 lbs depending on glass thickness, substrate, decorations, plants, etc. If you're not purchasing a stand that is specifically made for aquariums, make sure whatever piece of furniture you're using is made out of solid material (no particle board!!!) and can withstand a capacity over 400 lbs.

2) How much time are you willing to invest in upkeep each week/month? Once established, the tank should do a lot of self-regulating, but even for my established 15 gallon I still spend between 30 minutes-2 hours every week doing some maintenance (replenishing water that's evaporated, adding fertilizers, plant trims/thinning, cleaning the sides, algae maintenance, vacuuming, etc.), sometimes more depending on what needs to be done. I'm sure other folks have different schedules they follow or different tolerances for upkeep, but that's just how my weeks work out.

Hope you have lots of fun regardless to what you choose!! Creating a planted tank is so fun, it'll be a joy to see it grow in. C':

1. I have a SOLID wood piece of furtniture that could withstand both. It's not particle board, thankfully. :)

2. See, I hear that a 10 gallon is more work vs a 55 gallon. That's why I'm going back and forth with it. I would rather have a tank more self sufficient.
neurodivergent - adult
xxxKitty's Pound
kitty teeth

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby chase. » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:04 am

kitty teeth wrote:Hiii everyone! I'm currently doing some research on fish and I am debating on getting a 55 gallon or a 10 gallon. I have space for the 55, it'd be a beautiful display tank for my living room.

10 neon tetras
1 bristlenose pleco

1 male betta
1 assassin snail

I'd love to do a beautiful planted tank!! I'm just not sure which size I should do.

I have got to say, for a 55gal that has got to be one of the smallest stocking lists I’ve ever seen x,D

I think I can give an opinion! I’ve had multiple tanks (cold/tropical/marine) and right now my two active ones are a 40 gallon, and a 25 gallon! imo, a 55 gallon is easier to maintain in regards to water parameters and it’s got a lot more leeway - but they’re also significantly much more expensive to run, even if your heater or filter breaks, getting another one would be 3/4x more for a 55gal than it would for a 10 gal.

I don’t think a 10 gal would be that hard to keep up with though with a betta and an assassin! Usually people overstock their 10 gallons and then their parameters are all sorts of nightmarish. I’ve kept my betta in a 10 gallon and his tank was easier to clean/maintain than my big community tank. Purely looking at your stocking ideas, the 10 gallon wouldn’t be harder than the 55 gallon because you’d have it technically understocked, so your parameters wouldn’t be that bad!

I’d go with a 10 gallon, purely because if you want a tank mainly for a betta, a 55 gallon just isn’t worth the money and maintenance. If you wanted a shrimp colony or a group of cories or loaches along with your betta, a 55 gallon would be a good idea - but just for a betta and a couple others it’s overkill for how much time and money it’d cost you c:

Have you considered a mid-size? A 20-30 gallon would look lovely as a display tank, but it wouldn’t be as costly as a 55 gallon, but it’d look more impressive in a big space than a 10 gallon!

Edit:
    It’d be easier to have a 20 gallon tank be self-sufficient! A 55 gallon with a bad algae outbreak would be a nightmare (speaking from experience (,: ) and a 10 gallon is pretty self-sufficient, as long as it’s planted and understocked! But would still require a closer eye than a 20 gal c:
chase.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lorne » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:29 pm

10 neon tetras
1 bristlenose pleco

1 male betta
1 assassin snail

As the post above mentioned, a mid-sized tank is probably a really good option for the stocking list you have above! A 20gal long has the floorspace needed for a bristlenose pleco.

If you do opt for the larger tank, which it's good for a fish to have the space, bettas are complex creatures and get extremely stressed by wide open water, you'll need plenty of hides and places for them to rest at the surface, as well as some decent floating plants. They also have something called a labyrinth organ which requires them to take gulps of air at the surface to get their oxygen, so bettas like to have a place to rest or sleep that's near the surface (mine loves his floating log or sleeps on my giant amazon sword leaves)

One thing to consider too is tetras are notorious fin nippers and some bettas are completely intolerant to other fish. The betta I have now is an alien hybrid (half wild, half domestic), and he's so aggressive he flares up at new people. He tolerates kuhli loaches, my half-banded spiny eel, neocardinia shrimp and snails, but when I tried housing rasboras with him he was extremely aggressive and they had to be returned to the store. As for a similar tank mate that's a lot less likely to nip fins, I highly recommend a school of harlequin rasboras! They're similar in body shape, fulfill the same tank area as tetras and are neat little fish without being too flashy.
Last edited by Lorne on Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 16 people.
I have received 10 gifts.

₊˚⊹. ☾ Aria ☆ she/her ☆ Art shop ☽ .⊹˚₊Image
Lorne

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me