Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby fluffycat6 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:44 pm

canticum. wrote:Username: [url=account link]canticum.[/url]
How many fish tanks do you have: 1
Types of fish that you have: 1
Your fishs' names: Challen (betta splendids, name means shining moon) [sh-aye-lynn]
How long have you had fish: less than 24 hours lol

hi! i'm canticum. but please call me canti! i just got a little half moon betta today and i'm very worried about if i introduced him right and shock and all that jazz

please help?

Congrats on your new fish!

I wouldn’t worry about him, bettas are tough little guys and adapt pretty well to change. He might be a little stressed for a day or two while he adjusts to his new home but he should be just fine.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image please click!
fluffycat6

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:08 pm

canticum. wrote:
hi! i'm canticum. but please call me canti! i just got a little half moon betta today and i'm very worried about if i introduced him right and shock and all that jazz

please help?

c: How did you introduce him? Bettas are hardy so he's probably fine.
Have you cycled your tank?
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby canticum. » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:14 am

Lonin wrote:
canticum. wrote:

please help?

c: How did you introduce him? Bettas are hardy so he's probably fine.
Have you cycled your tank?

I took the container I bought him in, let it float in the water of his tank, and I took a bit of his water and replaced it with tank water.
Then when the waters where the same, I poured out as much as I could with out hurting him and let him swim out into the rank.
He checked out my thermometer, then swam around franticly, occasionally staying still and moving the gills rapidly.
I checked him this morning, and he is swimming happily. The filter that came with the tank made so many bubbles it covered the top of the tank entirely. I turned it off, but I noticed there was less bubbles when it had no top on. He was happier with it off, and ate three (maybe four, one of the food pellets fell to the substrate) pellets. One of the pellets he ate fell on the roof of his hide, and he ate it off of the roof! He even follows my moms finger a bit. I'm in love with Challen, he is so sweet! I also have pics now.

IMG_20180908_132938_732.jpg
IMG_20180908_132938_732.jpg (282.02 KiB) Viewed 85 times
canticum.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:52 am

canticum. wrote:
I took the container I bought him in, let it float in the water of his tank, and I took a bit of his water and replaced it with tank water.
Then when the waters where the same, I poured out as much as I could with out hurting him and let him swim out into the rank.
He checked out my thermometer, then swam around franticly, occasionally staying still and moving the gills rapidly.
I checked him this morning, and he is swimming happily. The filter that came with the tank made so many bubbles it covered the top of the tank entirely. I turned it off, but I noticed there was less bubbles when it had no top on. He was happier with it off, and ate three (maybe four, one of the food pellets fell to the substrate) pellets. One of the pellets he ate fell on the roof of his hide, and he ate it off of the roof! He even follows my moms finger a bit. I'm in love with Challen, he is so sweet! I also have pics now.

Sounds like you did everything right. Moving to a new tank is always stressful for fish so it's normal for them to stay still and hide for a bit to start with.

Make sure you keep the filter on all the time, it's really important for the health of your fish and tank. It sounds like you haven't cycled your tank so you're going to be doing a fish in cycle. Have a read through this: http://petfishclub.com/cycle-with-fish-in-cycle/

He's really cute c:
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby canticum. » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:10 pm

How many gallons is your tank?: 2.2
Number and Type of fish in tank: 1 Half Moon Betta Male
How long has it been running?: Less than 24 hours
Did you cycle it?: not yet
If possible what are the ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels?: I have get to test
Does it have a heater? yes, but not plugged in or used right now
If it has a thermometer, what is the water temperature? 76 Fahrenheit
What is the issue or question?: Fin rot?
Any other information?: I am getting a bigger tank for him soon. This one is cheap and temporary until I have enough money for a five gal.

The edges of his fins are black,
And the bottom fin (under his belly) has a bit of white.
canticum.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:55 pm

canticum. wrote:How many gallons is your tank?: 2.2
Number and Type of fish in tank: 1 Half Moon Betta Male
How long has it been running?: Less than 24 hours
Did you cycle it?: not yet
If possible what are the ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels?: I have get to test
Does it have a heater? yes, but not plugged in or used right now
If it has a thermometer, what is the water temperature? 76 Fahrenheit
What is the issue or question?: Fin rot?
Any other information?: I am getting a bigger tank for him soon. This one is cheap and temporary until I have enough money for a five gal.

The edges of his fins are black,
And the bottom fin (under his belly) has a bit of white.

Black edge sounds (and looks like) like just part of his coloring. My betta has a black edge on his tail fin as well. As long as the fins don't start to look ripped etc. they are probably fine. White, if it's not like tiny dots here and there, but more specifically located on his fins (tips, edges, stripes), it's likely part of his coloring.
Just keep up with daily/everyother day partial water changes to be sure you don't get too much ammonia in the tank until you get tests and tank is cycled, and I would also suggest plugging in that heater as it's getting boarderline bit too chilly in your tank. Like chances are it's staying just about warm enough during day time/when lights are on, but it might get tad too cold at night/when lights are off.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tjebb » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:42 am

[b]Username:Tjebb
[b]How many fish tanks do you have:1, 30 gallon
[b]Types of fish that you have: Xs Angelfish, Gourami, Betta, Pond Snail, Bristle nose Pleco, 2 Cory Catfish
[b]Your fishs' names: (in order of list above) Gill, Firestar, Midnight, Fizzy, Penelope, Ghost (albino Cory), Nymeria (the other Cory)
[b]How long have you had fish: Maybe 2 Years. I have had goldfish in the past.

Yes, you fish lovers are thinking, WHAT! You put a Siamese fighting fish with a Gourami! I know it seems insane, but they get along well. I got them both as little babies and they would be put together for short periods of time. Now they are all best friends.

My Kalons
I no longer actively draw using Oekaki, but I'll try my best to use the forums and talk via dms and such!
Looking for art!

Image Image Image
Tjebb

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Siddy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:22 am

Does anybody have any advice for helping out a fish who's half blind?
I went to the store to get some white cloud tetra's for my 20 gallon, and I seen this female betta who's color was absolutely gorgeous, I also noticed she was missing an eye, and was extremely skinny. I assume she wasn't able to get food in the community tank due to how many other fish were in there. I bought her for $3 and she's currently chilling in a two gallon thats going through a fish in cycle, just so I can keep an eye on her. She bumps into things a lot and has a lot of trouble grabbing food. I already hand feed my other betta practically as she's spoiled so I don't mind, but I was wondering if there was an easier, quicker way?
The eye is completely healed over and I think it happened ages ago. I also named her Vegas and may get pictures of her later! She hardly stays still.
Edit:: I have betta pellets and she'll suck them in and then spit them out continuously. I got her to eat a two.
I also tried flakes and she goes to grab them, misses, and then they sink and she can't see it and loses it.
I'm really torn up about it and worried. I've had her like only a few hours and I'm already so In love with her, so I don't want to lose her.
Siddy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fiirstcrush » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:06 am

How do you make sure you're not overfeeding your fish? I have 3 different types of food for my betta and the schedule i have for him is one time a day,
week 1 of a month- flakes
week 2 of a month mealworms
week 3 of a month- brine shrimp
it always goes flakes->mealworms->shrimp->flakes etc. unless he refuses a mealworm meal i'll take them out then put flakes in instead.

he really likes them all and does what i call a little hunger dance at me when he knows its time to eat. But im worried that im overfeeding him, I know im good on the brineshrimp but with the flakes and mealworms he gets picky. Sometimes he will outright refuse mealworms and sometimes he leaves some flakes behind. When i bought him he was underweight and now he's at a normal weight, so gladly he's not obese but I don't really wanna risk anything. I try to feed him with a pinch of flakes and 2-3 mealworms (3 if he's doing that dance, it usually means he's pretty hungry i think, he eats like a pig when he does the hunger dance) the flake amount is usually the same amount but he will leave some behind sometimes and its frustrating and confusing ^^''
edit: I think his dance is a courting dance,,, he has no female bettas anywhere,, oof poor ares xd

On a more positive note, I'm finally getting my next betta! i have to wait to pick him up though, A week from now if nothing happens! I already have his new tank all set up, He is a GORGEOUS dumbo betta! He's pink and white just like Ares (Ares is an opaque lavender twintail halfmoon with some black colouring on his fins <3) but my new fish is a dark pink with white fins that looks like silk. His name is either gonna be Velvet or MT which is short for Minor Threat. I'm so excited, I can't wait to welcome him to my family!
fiirstcrush

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Herdier » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:42 am

I love my stepmom but she really makes me angry when it comes to fish care. She thinks she can do no wrong when it comes to caring for fish because she's been able to keep a betta alive in a terrible bowl with a mirror for three years. But yesterday she came home with a second betta and put it in a bowl right next to the first. I told her to put something in between them so they can't see each other as they are both males. She told me my opinion wasn't wanted. I get it, I wasn't the best owner to my last betta and she's been able to keep the first betta alive for longer (somehow) but I desperately wanted to improve my betta's conditions even back then and I've told myself that I will never buy another one until i can afford a proper tank for it. Because even I know a bowl with a mirror next to another male betta is no way to keep them...

<-Totakeke
Achieved 4/30/13

Apollo Justice->
Achieved 8/16/16

Mister Spock
Achieved 12/19/17
Herdier

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes