Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby Lonin » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:40 am

birbmememaster24 wrote:I've heard stories of betta's fins/tail getting caught in things? Should i avoid heavier solid things like rocks and wood for my tank? I would probably never forgive myself if my betta got caught and/or hurt and I could of prevented.

Avoid sharp things like some plastic plants that can cut their fins and small gaps where they can get stuck but you'll generally be fine with wood and rocks. If you want to make sure something is safe enough run pantyhose/tights along it. If it rips them don't use it.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:46 am

birbmememaster24 wrote:
Lonin wrote:
birbmememaster24 wrote:Im thinking about getting a betta fish. I've done research on what they need, so here's my plan. I plan on getting MINIMUM 2.5 gallon, although I'd like to have larger, some sort of filter, a heater, A CLASPING lid (I've heard stories of people's bettas jumping out, plus I have a curious cat) and I've heard people feed frozen bloodworms (Im not sure about this?) so that's my plan. Does anyone have any advice? I've never owned a fish before.

Go with at least 5 gallons if possible. Not only will it benefit your fish, bigger tanks are easier to look after as the bigger volume of water means things are more stable.
Make sure you cycle your tank before you get the fish. You can read about it here: https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_ ... rticle.htm It sounds complicated but it's fairly easy c:

Yup yup you can feed it frozen bloodworms but not as the whole diet. Bettas are carnivores/insectivores and so can eat plenty of frozen food like daphnia, mosquito larvae and brine shrimp. You should also give it betta pellets.

And bettas like tanks with lots of places to hide and explore so you might want to think about adding some plants, real or silk.

I've heard stories of betta's fins/tail getting caught in things? Should i avoid heavier solid things like rocks and wood for my tank? I would probably never forgive myself if my betta got caught and/or hurt and I could of prevented.

They can get caught on things/get ripped, but only if the object has very sharp edges. So things like hard plastic plants(they are usually kinda spiky) are really not ideal. There are various kinds of wood and some of them are likely totally fine, and I think pretty much all rocks are safe enough as well.
Also turns out he might be little feisty after all. I saw him attack a pest snail that was minding its business on the sand (and potentially eat it) and when I showed him a mirror again he definetly flared at it. :lol:
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby adelphi prime. » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:55 am

Hello! It's been a long time since I've posted here, or even been that active on CS... however, I came here for suggestions of sorts.

For a while I was running 6 aquariums holding a total of 7 bettas and 6 goldfish (I have kept tropical fish like tetras and platys in the past too). Well, I'm moving from Minnesota to Arizona and so have had to rehome all of my fish. That being said, when I get to Arizona I will have the opportunity to start up a 20 gallon tall tank that my friend previously had kept angelfish in. I was curious if anyone had suggestions for what to stock it with. I'm looking for something that's on the easier side, considering I will be at college 3 days a week as well as holding a part time job. I've thought about doing a betta community tank, but I'm not sure.
↠ EDS ᎳᎪᏒᏒᎥᎾᏒ ↞
adelphi prime.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:18 am

adelphi prime. wrote:
    Hello! It's been a long time since I've posted here, or even been that active on CS... however, I came here for suggestions of sorts.

For a while I was running 6 aquariums holding a total of 7 bettas and 6 goldfish (I have kept tropical fish like tetras and platys in the past too). Well, I'm moving from Minnesota to Arizona and so have had to rehome all of my fish. That being said, when I get to Arizona I will have the opportunity to start up a 20 gallon tall tank that my friend previously had kept angelfish in. I was curious if anyone had suggestions for what to stock it with. I'm looking for something that's on the easier side, considering I will be at college 3 days a week as well as holding a part time job. I've thought about doing a betta community tank, but I'm not sure.

Community tank is usually pretty easy and if you select some hardy species in theory they should be fine even if you can't monitor it super closely. I'd also pick species that are not known to have big egos/tempers, so anything super territorial or nippy I'd rule out. As well as fish that have special requirements when it comes to water quality or feeding. But that still leaves quite variety of species to choose from. ^^;
________
Well this sucks. I lost two of the endlers as they went and got themselves stuck behind the filter sometime during the night. :( One male and the only female I had. Also one of the living males is not looking good at all and I fear he has also been stuck, but had managed to free himself before I noticed him(his fins are pretty beat up and he's just sitting at the bottom currently, not having too high hopes for him). Needless to say I had to stop their quarantine/medication and moved them into the main tank, as I didn't have anything to make the filter safe for them. I'm really starting to feel cursed when it comes to keeping fish... :|
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wilbursoot » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:00 pm

Username: Conure.
How many fish tanks do you have: 1
Types of fish that you have: 1
Your fishs' names: Neptune, he's a betta fish.
How long have you had fish: all my life. Over the years I've had about.... 10 tanks and 50 fish.
heyo

i dont come on here (ever)

still, you can message me ig
wilbursoot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby KaptianWolf » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:02 pm

User: KaptianWolf
I have 3 tanks
2 fish
Shark , betta
Pomby , Fancy Tail Guppy
Espo, Turtle
All my life 2
~Kapp

I love Castle
And yes, i take commissions
KaptianWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Starwood in Aspen » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:54 pm

Username: Pinkie smoothie
How many fish tanks do you have: None? I unfortunately still have a 2 gallon bowl. SOON. I am trying to convince my mom to get me a 5 gallon tank. Fingers crossed.
Types of fish that you have: Betta
Your fishs' names: Pinkie Pie
How long have you had fish: 2-3 years however as a kid I had many bettas over the years..

Also if you have pictures of you fish we would love to see them! If you have a tank with a lot of fish you are welcome to just put a picture of your tank. If the images are large or you have a lot please post links.

This is Pink. :)
I am a holibomber!
I have gifted _5_ people.
I have received _6_ gifts.
Starwood in Aspen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Alpen » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:33 pm

i finally got rid of the brown wispy algae yaaaaaay, thank goodness for flourish excel {:
i've upped my stock a little bit!
i now have 3 angels, 3 guppies, and 5 swordtails. i want to eventually add some mystery or nerite snails, not sure yet. i want to also look into getting a bottom dweller......not sure what though

i'm gonna work on rescaping soon since the algae is all gone. i have some river rocks i cleaned a while back i'm excited to use :>
Alpen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby satuurnity » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:14 pm

Okay so, having converted the 40 gallon aquarium I got off of gumtree into an enclosure for my dwarf hamster Pi, I don't have any fish tanks set up now ): And even though I love her to pieces, I really miss my fish, so I'm thinking on setting up my ten gallon again and convincing my mum to let me keep it in the living room. The only problem is I can't decide between getting some galaxy rasbora, a school of tetra or some sparkling gourami. Does anyone have any experience with these fish? Which do you prefer?

Thanks! c: Also, hope everyone's having a nice summer!
satuurnity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:02 am

Alpen wrote:i finally got rid of the brown wispy algae yaaaaaay, thank goodness for flourish excel {:
*snip*
i've upped my stock a little bit!
i now have 3 angels, 3 guppies, and 5 swordtails. i want to eventually add some mystery or nerite snails, not sure yet. i want to also look into getting a bottom dweller......not sure what though

i'm gonna work on rescaping soon since the algae is all gone. i have some river rocks i cleaned a while back i'm excited to use :>

Yay, another planted tank. :) I know people here have them, but they aren't shown that often, so good to see one. Also very jelly of those swords. Corries are always my favorite bottom fish, so those would be my recommendation. Buuut plecos could work as well, especially as your tank looks pretty big.

Floofems<3 wrote:Okay so, having converted the 40 gallon aquarium I got off of gumtree into an enclosure for my dwarf hamster Pi, I don't have any fish tanks set up now ): And even though I love her to pieces, I really miss my fish, so I'm thinking on setting up my ten gallon again and convincing my mum to let me keep it in the living room. The only problem is I can't decide between getting some galaxy rasbora, a school of tetra or some sparkling gourami. Does anyone have any experience with these fish? Which do you prefer?

Thanks! c: Also, hope everyone's having a nice summer!

Out of tetras I'd only go with the smallest species as you really need a good size school of them for them to look like something and 10gal puts some limitations when it comes to size/numbers. Personally I've had green neons and they were so darn skittish even in large group, but looked very good when watched from affar and very easy fish over all. Sparkling gouramis I'm personally interested in and find them really pretty. Not the most well known fish I think, so if you can find them I would really give them a shot. ^^ Though some of the smaller gouramis are quite picky about water parameters (soft and acidic) so double check that before getting any.

And bonus of betta's hunting snails-face. :lol: He's pretty decent at it too.

I do need to learn to work my camera settings again to catch the proper light and color... But the betta has certainly colored some. Really loving the bright blue rays and those white tips on the pectorals. <3 Dorsal is pretty much all blue, but tail and lower half of his body are definetly red based with blue rays. Head on other hand is pretty dark grey toned, so maybe it'll turn blue? When flaring he really fires up that red pigment though. So who knows...

Guestion about the guppy/endler though. I don't think he's a fancy guppy, but I do wonder if he's actually a guppy-endler hybrid rather than endler. Oppinions?
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me