Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby BlazingMoon » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:06 am

I've been lurking this thread for a while so I figured I should officially join lol

Username: Blazingmoon
How many fish tanks do you have: a 20 gallon long and a 10 gallon (10 gallon is still cycling)
Types of fish that you have: Currently I have 8 zebra danios (<333) and an albino bristlenose pleco. I also have a couple of ghost shrimp, two nerite snails, and two african dwarf frogs all in the 20 gallon. I hope to move the dwarf frogs into the 10 gallon tank once it's done cycling and add two dwarf gouramis to the 20 gallon. In the past I've had mollies, guppies, bettas, cory cats, neon tetras, and goldfish. :)
Your fishs' names: My pleco is named Randal lol. The danios don't have names but I promise I can differentiate each one!
How long have you had fish: (do not share your age!) I had fish when I was a little kid, but I got my real start with fishkeeping about 6 years ago :3

https://i.imgur.com/yiwv6ep.jpg The 20 gallon long tank (Waalstaad method; plants are jungle val and dwarf Sagittaria)
https://i.imgur.com/YOIGK1X.jpg All 8 of the danios in a relatively focused picture (miracle)
https://i.imgur.com/ufKC30Z.jpg My favorite danio :3
https://i.imgur.com/2nyHupZ.jpg My big female ADF + nerite
https://i.imgur.com/GdZhOQT.jpg My little male ADF being a clown

https://i.imgur.com/pVRZ2Yq.jpg The 10 gallon tank (Plants are amazon sword, dwarf sagittaria, anacharis, hornwort, cabomba, rotala, anubius, java fern, and marimo moss balls)

FireWolf52 wrote:Hi everyone! I had some questions! I recently got a very healthy looking galaxy koi male Betta from petco (and seriously, the thing is active and inquisitive, everything I would look for in a healthy Betta which is surprising for my petco at least). I have a 5 gallon tank and I’m planning on putting some live plants in it! I’ve never done a true natural aqua scape, and I’ve never taken care of aquatic plants nor am I very good with land plant but I wanted to give it a shot! Any suggestions on plants that go well in Betta tanks?

I feel like amazon swords would be the perfect plant for a betta. They have nice broad leaves that I imagine a betta fish would love resting on lol. And they're supposed to be easy to care for if you keep a good light on it.
Maybe for betta fish I would avoid hornwort though since its a bit scratchy to the touch, and could potentially tear their long fins. I've never actually kept the two together so I can't confirm that would happen, but it's something to consider.
ImageImage
Pet's name: The Guardian
BlazingMoon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yetzali » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:24 am

x
      i'm moving in a few weeks, and i'm planning on a planted 40 gal community tank

any stocking suggestions? i have my heart on a female betta. everything else is undecided, though i know i don't want neons or guppies.

xImage
sarah
infj
she/they
pm me for dog pictures
yetzali

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby hellevi » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:11 am

Username: elyhria
    How many fish tanks do you have: one 75 gallon and one 29 gallon
    Types of fish that you have: 4 angelfish, clown loach, 3 plecos (my favorite<3), many corydoras (bronze, panda paleatus and sterbas), rummy noses, neon tetras, lyretail molly, female betta, and a few rainbows
    Your fishs' names: the plecos are named jelly, cinnamon and dirt. the rest don't have names as my mom has a hard time keeping up with them!
    How long have you had fish: (do not share your age!) my entire life basically! i grew up with tanks as my mom has always had them

hellevi
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoMoYA » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:38 pm

Is the owner of this thread inactive?
。⋆🎀⋆。
🪦🕊️
。⋆🎀⋆。
˚ ◌༘♡ ⋆。˚ ꕥ ˚ ◌༘♡ ⋆。˚ ꕥ ˚ ◌༘♡ ⋆。˚ ꕥ
Art Fight ♡ Thoma irl

MoMoYA

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hollyleaf6217 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:07 pm

FireWolf52 wrote:Hi everyone! I had some questions! I recently got a very healthy looking galaxy koi male Betta from petco (and seriously, the thing is active and inquisitive, everything I would look for in a healthy Betta which is surprising for my petco at least). I have a 5 gallon tank and I’m planning on putting some live plants in it! I’ve never done a true natural aqua scape, and I’ve never taken care of aquatic plants nor am I very good with land plant but I wanted to give it a shot! Any suggestions on plants that go well in Betta tanks?

I would recommend moss balls. They're literally the only plants I can keep alive. You literally just put them in the tank and they sink to the bottom and are super hard to kill. No maintenance required at all and they go perfectly in my bettas' 10 gallon tanks! Also helps keep the ammonia levels down, though still be sure to keep up with weekly water changes. Good luck with your new little guy, bettas are awesome and have such unique personalities!
I'll remember Brightheart..When I see a scar one someone's face
I'll remember Goosefeather..When nobody believes me
I'll remember Scourge..When someone's teased for being tiny
I'll remember Heathertail..When someone wants to be 'just friends'
I'll remember Leafpool..When I must follow my heart
I'll remember Hollyleaf..If I ever fall apart
I'll remember Brambleclaw..When I must prove myself.
I'll remember Spottedleaf..When I'm suffering from bad health
I'll remember Lionblaze..When I am feeling strong
I'll remember Tigerstar..If I choose the path that's wrong
I'll remember Cloudtail..When a kitten catches their first prey
I'll remember Feathertail..Whenever I must be brave
I'll remember Ashfur..When somebody breaks my heart
I'll remember Barley..When me and my siblings are far apart
I'll remember Firestar..When my loyalty's put to the test
I'll always remember Warriors
Hollyleaf6217

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby retro » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:29 pm

-
Last edited by retro on Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
retro / cosimo / chloe
she / her | listo | insta
retro

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby chase. » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:51 pm

Username: alpha
    How many fish tanks do you have:l four for now! One 55g that’s cycling and then two established freshwaters and then a 80g saltwater reef tank
    Types of fish that you have:
    -freshwater-
    blue/red male betta fish
    a rainbow shark
    two yoyo loaches
    three Corys
    -saltwater-
    two hermit crabs
    eight snails
    two mollies
    two gladiator clownfish
    firefish
    [Ill most likely get another betta and some shrimp or a rainbow shark for the other freshwater tank]
    [for the saltwater it’ll be a clownfish, a blenny, another shrimp and some other saltwater fish (goby, damsel etc.. potentially a lionfish)

Your fishs' names: jinx [betta], levy [peppered cory], copper [bronze cory], ghost[albino cory], kylo[rainbow shark] asahi and noya [yoyo loaches] Jekyll [black clwonfish], Hyde [orange clownfish]
    How long have you had fish: most of my life - took a few years off since I moved house but I got some new tanks up and running recently so why not ]

edit;;

I know that Corys should be in a same sub-species group but I was given them because both Ghost and Copper didn’t exactly play nice with the others. I’m looking to move Levy when my other tank has cycled because even though they all get along fine I think he deserves a group of his own species - but in the meantime him and the others get along great. As for Ghost and Copper I think they might just have to remain together as I’m not sure I want to risk trying them with another group after they traumatised my friend’s one.
Last edited by chase. on Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
chase.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

All my fish died today...😩😖

Postby Dtoledo47 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:32 pm

I have many guppies and overnight 31 of them died...
Dtoledo47

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mercuré » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:37 am

tl;dr: I just inherited a saltwater tank of fish. I'm moving fish and any sliver of info/tips you have would be a massive help, details below

So, I'm planning on fish + other animals (will go into more detail later in post) into a completely new tank.

I am relatively new to fish caretaking and I acquired the tank as is so I have not had to move them before so everything is new to me. This includes info particular to each species.

The tank is a saltwater tank and contains:
2 damsel fish
1 clown fish
1 anemone
a bunch of little sea stars
and a black spiny sea urchin.

I want to know how I can transport them to their larger tank without causing shock

q's:
What are the necessary steps?
How do I move a sea urchin.
Will the starfish/urchin require the same treatment as the fish?
What exactly is shock
How do I minimize/not have any shock
What signs should I be looking out for in case shock starts to set in
-what do I do if I notice this
-At what step should I move the rock structure?

Any info you have relating to how to move them/ caretaking things that people tend to overlook forget would be REALLY helpful thank you :)

Also If any info is unclear/needed please feel free to ask I'll try my best
Mercuré

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SarcasticLoner » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:35 am

Hello,
I am just wondering if anyone is able to either deny or confirm something for me? I've had my second betta fish for around 8 months and he has significantly changed colours. He had a lot of white transparent fins which have now gotten the same colour as the rest of his body (a dark blue). I have heard before bettas can change their colours due to things like age and stress. So I'd just like confirmation on this? In case it is some kind of infection. Thanks -
“ɴᴏ ᴏɴᴇ ᴡᴀꜱ ᴍʏ ᴍᴀꜱᴛᴇʀ — ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ᴍɪɢʜᴛ ʙᴇ ᴍᴀꜱᴛᴇʀ ᴏꜰ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴛʜɪɴɢ, ɪꜰ ɪ ᴡɪꜱʜᴇᴅ. ɪꜰ ɪ ᴅᴀʀᴇᴅ.”

"ᴍᴏʀᴀʟʟʏ ɢʀᴇʏ? ᴡʜᴀᴛ ᴄᴀɴ ɪ ꜱᴀʏ, ɢʀᴇʏ'ꜱ ᴍʏ ꜰᴀᴠᴏᴜʀɪᴛᴇ ᴄᴏʟᴏᴜʀ"

ImageImage

ImageImage
SarcasticLoner

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me