Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby Lonin » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:12 am

amsie wrote:
      thanks so much! also, how do i know the sizing of the tank in terms of gallons/litres?
      like how do i convert 35cmx28cm to gallons? i've looked for some online converters
      because my maths is atrocious but couldn't find any, which has put me off of some
      tanks.

Try this site: https://www.thinkfish.co.uk/calculators ... volumecalc
35x28x30cm is 29 litres/7.7 gallons c:
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby amsie » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:30 am

thanks!! you've been super helpful!!

anyone know of any beginner plants? and also, what does 'hard' and 'soft' water mean?
      i've seen a few fish keeping videos/aquarium videos saying it and i don't know what it
      means, only plants grow better in soft water?
amsie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby flyteck » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:49 am

Angelus Gaston wrote:You can house other fish with a male betta ( wouldn't recommend females as they can still fight to the death).

I'm not getting a gold fish for the tank as it's to small ( I only house gold fish in a pond as I don't have a large enough tank ). I'm planning on getting some mollies and a few other schooling fish the betta can't eat ( to match my sunk ship theme)

I have done a ton of research on what can be kept in a betta tank and the lads in the fish department will tell me if I can't.

I don't recommend always trusting fish stores - sometimes staff aren't knowledgable. That being said, you should be fine with a male betta in a community - but to be safe, make sure you have a back up plan. Some bettas are very territorial and hostile, and won't share space with any other fish. I'd suggest either knowing you can return the other fish, or having a second tank for him if he turns out to not be friendly.

As for tank mates, I'd recommend platies over mollies, as they stay smaller and should be more comfortable in a smaller tank. Make sure anything you get doesn't have long fins, and isn't nippy! 12 gallons isn't huge, so there's not a whole lot of things that would fit comfortably. You could possibly look into ottos - I'm not sure the minimum tank size for them, but they're small shoaling algae eaters and I think they'd look nice with platies and a betta.
⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁
echjhmhehcghfghfgghhImage

Deviantart [most active]
toyhou.se
Lioden
I'm still on here, but I don't post much.
Feel free to message me if you'd like to
chat! Check my DA for commissions c;

✯ Check out my Webcomic!✯
⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁
flyteck

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:17 am

flyteck wrote:
Angelus Gaston wrote:You can house other fish with a male betta ( wouldn't recommend females as they can still fight to the death).

I'm not getting a gold fish for the tank as it's to small ( I only house gold fish in a pond as I don't have a large enough tank ). I'm planning on getting some mollies and a few other schooling fish the betta can't eat ( to match my sunk ship theme)

I have done a ton of research on what can be kept in a betta tank and the lads in the fish department will tell me if I can't.

I don't recommend always trusting fish stores - sometimes staff aren't knowledgable. That being said, you should be fine with a male betta in a community - but to be safe, make sure you have a back up plan. Some bettas are very territorial and hostile, and won't share space with any other fish. I'd suggest either knowing you can return the other fish, or having a second tank for him if he turns out to not be friendly.

As for tank mates, I'd recommend platies over mollies, as they stay smaller and should be more comfortable in a smaller tank. Make sure anything you get doesn't have long fins, and isn't nippy! 12 gallons isn't huge, so there's not a whole lot of things that would fit comfortably. You could possibly look into ottos - I'm not sure the minimum tank size for them, but they're small shoaling algae eaters and I think they'd look nice with platies and a betta.

The fish store I use is very fish savy as it's just a small aquatics store, I've grown up using it ( he doesn't even supply fish bowls and won't sell gold fish for small tanks. Also does tank cleaning and water checks for you) and get alot of the stuff for my pond from there.

This is the tank I have
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Interpet-Aquar ... way&sr=8-1
CharsArt WantedTradescredit
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something
Sarcastic and witty with this but
We cant be bothered. We go by
Angelus One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh lover

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DemureGirl » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:08 pm

amsie wrote:
      thanks!! you've been super helpful!!

anyone know of any beginner plants? and also, what does 'hard' and 'soft' water mean?
      i've seen a few fish keeping videos/aquarium videos saying it and i don't know what it
      means, only plants grow better in soft water?

Some plants are sensitive but it only really becomes a problem when you get *deep* into plants. But I've found that hard and soft water relates more to livestock than plants. Some fish prefer hard water, some prefer soft water. Some are adaptable, others aren't.
For example, most tetra like soft water, but livebearers like platies like hard water. If you Google "water hardness in my area" you should come across a government website that will tell you your water type of your in your postcode ^^

Good beginner plants are the hardy slow growers like java fern and anubias. Take real effort to kill them and they don't take much maintenance either :)
DemureGirl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SarcasticLoner » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:41 am

Hello, wondering if someone has extensive knowledge in betta fish? I received a new one today and have placed him in one of my tanks with three tetras. Seemed alright to begin with but in the past few hours has stayed fairly close to the top of the tank and is taking air from the surface more frequently then any of my other bettas have done. I read this is because of stress? Being in a new environment? Would also mention he is hovering right next to the heater so I am assuming that is where he finds it most comfortable? Just wanting to know if this is normal in newly added bettas or not, have never had one behave like this before and have had many in the past few years. Thanks -
“ɴᴏ ᴏɴᴇ ᴡᴀꜱ ᴍʏ ᴍᴀꜱᴛᴇʀ — ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ᴍɪɢʜᴛ ʙᴇ ᴍᴀꜱᴛᴇʀ ᴏꜰ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴛʜɪɴɢ, ɪꜰ ɪ ᴡɪꜱʜᴇᴅ. ɪꜰ ɪ ᴅᴀʀᴇᴅ.”

"ᴍᴏʀᴀʟʟʏ ɢʀᴇʏ? ᴡʜᴀᴛ ᴄᴀɴ ɪ ꜱᴀʏ, ɢʀᴇʏ'ꜱ ᴍʏ ꜰᴀᴠᴏᴜʀɪᴛᴇ ᴄᴏʟᴏᴜʀ"

ImageImage

ImageImage
SarcasticLoner

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:01 pm

Луната wrote:
Hello, wondering if someone has extensive knowledge in betta fish? I received a new one today and have placed him in one of my tanks with three tetras. Seemed alright to begin with but in the past few hours has stayed fairly close to the top of the tank and is taking air from the surface more frequently then any of my other bettas have done. I read this is because of stress? Being in a new environment? Would also mention he is hovering right next to the heater so I am assuming that is where he finds it most comfortable? Just wanting to know if this is normal in newly added bettas or not, have never had one behave like this before and have had many in the past few years. Thanks -

c: It'd help if you filled this out:
Code: Select all
[b]How many gallons is your tank?:[/b]
[b]Number and Type of fish in tank:[/b]
[b]How long has it been running?:[/b]
[b]Did you cycle it?:[/b]
[b]If possible what are the ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels?:[/b]
[b]Does it have a heater?[/b]
[b]If it has a thermometer, what is the water temperature?[/b]
[b]What is the issue or question?:[/b]
[b]Any other information?:[/b]

Are there any decorations, plants or generally places to hide? Bettas like lots of hiding places to feel secure. He could be hiding by the heater because there's nowhere else, or it could be that the rest of the tank is too cold.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:59 pm

^Current is also something to consider, especially if he was a 'cup betta' and has large fins. I have one spot in my tank that has very little current on the surface and I occasionally see fish gather there to kinda rest.
Yay, my canister filter arrived today. Now the only problem is where to set it up. ^^; I can't put it under the tank as my other tank is there and that won't fit anywhere else in my room (I think, or more like I don't have a stand for it), can't put it in the logical corner as I need to be able to open my dresser drawers... I also has kinda short cord (I dare to say shorter than both of the internal filters I've had), so that's another challenge as all my plugs are next to the dresser.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SarcasticLoner » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:25 am

Lonin wrote:
Луната wrote:

Are there any decorations, plants or generally places to hide? Bettas like lots of hiding places to feel secure. He could be hiding by the heater because there's nowhere else, or it could be that the rest of the tank is too cold.

He appears much improved today, yes there are many live plants and hides throughout the tank. I believe the heater may not be big enough for the tank which is 25 litres so will be purchasing a bigger one as soon as I am able too. Thank you for your response :)
“ɴᴏ ᴏɴᴇ ᴡᴀꜱ ᴍʏ ᴍᴀꜱᴛᴇʀ — ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ᴍɪɢʜᴛ ʙᴇ ᴍᴀꜱᴛᴇʀ ᴏꜰ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴛʜɪɴɢ, ɪꜰ ɪ ᴡɪꜱʜᴇᴅ. ɪꜰ ɪ ᴅᴀʀᴇᴅ.”

"ᴍᴏʀᴀʟʟʏ ɢʀᴇʏ? ᴡʜᴀᴛ ᴄᴀɴ ɪ ꜱᴀʏ, ɢʀᴇʏ'ꜱ ᴍʏ ꜰᴀᴠᴏᴜʀɪᴛᴇ ᴄᴏʟᴏᴜʀ"

ImageImage

ImageImage
SarcasticLoner

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cosmi » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:18 am

Hello everyone! I'm moving into a dorm in about a month and would like to get some guppies/tetras!
Any pointers for owning guppies/tetras? Do guppies/tetras tend to do well as tank mates? How many would you recommend putting in 5 gallons, 4 gallons, or 3-gallon tank? As a note, I most likely will get a 5-gallon tank; I want the fish to have as much room as possible!

Most importantly, does anyone have any sites with some cheapish tanks or know a place where I can get a decently priced 5gal or less tank? I've looked at stores like PetCo and their tanks really don't have great ratings. The aquarium store I went to also had tanks, but their selection seemed to be very similar to PetCo, so I'm losing some hope.

I don't know much about fish, so I would also like to ask about tank maintenance! I heard that fish need a certain pH and bacteria in the water, so could someone explain that to me?

I'm sorry for all the questions everyone! I'd like to keep the new fish I get happy and healthy for as long as I can!

EDIT: Here are some tanks I've thought about buying! Anyone know if they would be okay for the fish I'm getting?
5-gal tank, most wanted. The only problem is that I might want a loach down the road and someone said their loach was able to fit through the filter slots.

3 gal The second tank I've looked at! It's okay, but it's very similar to the first and smaller.

3.5 gal. Seems okay, but I would rather have a 5 gal tank.

ImageImage
Cosmi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me