Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby Autumnlp99 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:22 pm

OKAY i have a 35 g bowfront w only 4 buenos aires tetras ! tankmate options? considering cory cats but dunno how many would be good in a tank that big and id love some other ideas! want to put a betta in it bc i think they're so personable but tetras buttheads
Hey everyone! You can call me Autumn! I love to collect and trade!

Autumnlp99

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby clout » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:55 am

anyone have any advice for treating cotton wool disease?
i've had fish on and off for years but i ran into my first experience
with the disease recently when my betta of 2 years passed away the other day
i've been wondering why he hasn't been eating and i didn't realize until after he
passed that the white fuzzy growth was forming in his mouth.
i didn't know anything was wrong with him until his final day when he couldn't
even come to the surface for air anymore. I thought his torn fins were just a result of fin biting,
as i know he would get stressed very easily, then i come to realize that was a result of the disease too.
i still have the tank because my trapdoor snail is still alive and well in there but i think I've improved the water quality by
completely cleaning out the tank and putting in a new plant and a completely different substrate with a better
water conditioner and a better quality water heater.
i plan on getting another fish soon, perhaps not a betta this time, but another little basic freshwater fish.
anyone w experience have advice in case this were to happen again in the future?

edit: ik there's water drops for this but if you have any specific brands you recommend and how long they took to
treat your fish? also if anyones found some precautionary measures that i haven't mentioned please lmk.
♓︎ | traveler | creator | loser
clout

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:15 pm

@.Earl Gray. It depends what else you want in the tank. You could go with large schools of your tetras and corys which always look cool or smaller schools of both and something else as well.

clout wrote:anyone have any advice for treating cotton wool disease?
i've had fish on and off for years but i ran into my first experience
with the disease recently when my betta of 2 years passed away the other day
i've been wondering why he hasn't been eating and i didn't realize until after he
passed that the white fuzzy growth was forming in his mouth.
i didn't know anything was wrong with him until his final day when he couldn't
even come to the surface for air anymore. I thought his torn fins were just a result of fin biting,
as i know he would get stressed very easily, then i come to realize that was a result of the disease too.
i still have the tank because my trapdoor snail is still alive and well in there but i think I've improved the water quality by
completely cleaning out the tank and putting in a new plant and a completely different substrate with a better
water conditioner and a better quality water heater.
i plan on getting another fish soon, perhaps not a betta this time, but another little basic freshwater fish.
anyone w experience have advice in case this were to happen again in the future?

edit: ik there's water drops for this but if you have any specific brands you recommend and how long they took to
treat your fish? also if anyones found some precautionary measures that i haven't mentioned please lmk.

It'd help to fill out this form:
Code: Select all
[b]How many gallons is your tank?:[/b]
[b]Number and Type of fish in tank:[/b]
[b]How long has it been running?:[/b]
[b]Did you cycle it?:[/b]
[b]If possible what are the ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels?:[/b]
[b]Does it have a heater?[/b]
[b]If it has a thermometer, what is the water temperature?[/b]
[b]What is the issue or question?:[/b]
[b]Any other information?:[/b]

Stuff like fungus is generally a result of a water quality issue.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Starwood in Aspen » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:58 am

Wow its's been a long time... So i lost my Pretty girl, Gemini... :( but last week friday I came home with this stunner. His Name is Spike Spiegill and apparently he doesn't know his own size. our German Shepherd was sniffling at his tank today (She usually isn't in my room so Spike isnt gonna be bugged much by her) and He flared out at her!!! (First pic)

I am a holibomber!
I have gifted _5_ people.
I have received _6_ gifts.
Starwood in Aspen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kat » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:18 am

I think that my goldfish might be sick. He was in a pond before (for about a year), but I took him out once I saw him acting a bit strange and now I have him in a quarantine tank. He just looks a bit bloated? Could he have eaten something that he shouldn't have? Some leaves fell into the pond the other day and I'm wondering if maybe he tried to eat some of them.

Kat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Evils » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:30 am

Kat wrote:I think that my goldfish might be sick. He was in a pond before (for about a year), but I took him out once I saw him acting a bit strange and now I have him in a quarantine tank. He just looks a bit bloated? Could he have eaten something that he shouldn't have? Some leaves fell into the pond the other day and I'm wondering if maybe he tried to eat some of them.

He's a cutie! He does look a bit bloated which makes me think he could possibly be constipated. You could try feeding him a cooked pea and a half as that can help him go. It works pretty well for my goldfish at home! You could also try adding a pinch of salt to see if it helps him at all - it's pretty good at preventing freshwater diseases in small amounts.
One possibility which always worries me is dropsy. I would continue watching him to make sure his scales don't start popping up. If it turns out to be dropsy you can try some remedies but once the scales start popping it's usually too late to save the fish.
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality." - Edgar Allan Poe
Evils

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kat » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:14 pm

Evils wrote:He's a cutie! He does look a bit bloated which makes me think he could possibly be constipated. You could try feeding him a cooked pea and a half as that can help him go. It works pretty well for my goldfish at home! You could also try adding a pinch of salt to see if it helps him at all - it's pretty good at preventing freshwater diseases in small amounts.
One possibility which always worries me is dropsy. I would continue watching him to make sure his scales don't start popping up. If it turns out to be dropsy you can try some remedies but once the scales start popping it's usually too late to save the fish.

Thanks! I think that he was constipated, because I noticed that he wasn't going to the bathroom and so I fed him a cooked pea as you suggested. He started going shortly after and the bloating has already gone down. :D
Kat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Evils » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:51 am

Kat wrote:Thanks! I think that he was constipated, because I noticed that he wasn't going to the bathroom and so I fed him a cooked pea as you suggested. He started going shortly after and the bloating has already gone down. :D

That's wonderful! I hope the bloating stays down and that he gets better! <3
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality." - Edgar Allan Poe
Evils

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kat » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:15 am

Evils wrote:
Kat wrote:Thanks! I think that he was constipated, because I noticed that he wasn't going to the bathroom and so I fed him a cooked pea as you suggested. He started going shortly after and the bloating has already gone down. :D

That's wonderful! I hope the bloating stays down and that he gets better! <3

He's entirely back to normal now. Thank you so much for the help!
Kat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FireWolf52 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:53 pm

Hi everyone! I had some questions! I recently got a very healthy looking galaxy koi male Betta from petco (and seriously, the thing is active and inquisitive, everything I would look for in a healthy Betta which is surprising for my petco at least). I have a 5 gallon tank and I’m planning on putting some live plants in it! I’ve never done a true natural aqua scape, and I’ve never taken care of aquatic plants nor am I very good with land plant but I wanted to give it a shot! Any suggestions on plants that go well in Betta tanks?

Going through a rough time right now, trying to stay active in trades but I might answer slowly, I apologize!

My Fayrian Kelpies
My Khimaira Friesians
My Cupido Drafts
My Ferox Welsh Ponies
My Yukon Drafts

"You could rattle the stars, you could do anything if only you dared."

Ravenclaw ~ Aries ~ Animal-Lover ~ Breyer Horses
FireWolf52

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery