Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
84
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
189
56%
No, I like it the way it is
58
17%
Other (PM me with your idea)
4
1%
 
Total votes : 335

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby Floofems<3 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:18 am

Hey! So I was planning on setting up a tropical community in my thirty gallon, but now I’ve gotten permission to get a hamster I’ll be converting it to a hamster cage c: however, I still have my ten gallon tank, and I’m struggling to decide on stocking. I’ve had a school of tetra before so I don’t really want to do that again, and I’m thinking about getting a beta fish. I’ve also been considering three sparkling gourami and a lot of sites say that would be an okay stocking, but I’m wondering if I’d need more of them for them to be happy (if they wouldn’t be I’ll stick with the beta).
Thank you!
User avatar
Floofems<3
 
Posts: 15674
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:41 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby Trphlthdl » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:18 pm

Floofems<3 wrote:Hey! So I was planning on setting up a tropical community in my thirty gallon, but now I’ve gotten permission to get a hamster I’ll be converting it to a hamster cage c: however, I still have my ten gallon tank, and I’m struggling to decide on stocking. I’ve had a school of tetra before so I don’t really want to do that again, and I’m thinking about getting a beta fish. I’ve also been considering three sparkling gourami and a lot of sites say that would be an okay stocking, but I’m wondering if I’d need more of them for them to be happy (if they wouldn’t be I’ll stick with the beta).
Thank you!


While sparkling gourami don't normally show aggression, it best to keep them in tanks where they have enough room to get away and hide should they need to, and I'm not really sure if a ten gallon would be enough for three of them, even if they are tiny, tiny fish. Not to mention they need a soft pH, around 6.5 I believe.

While Betta Splendens thrives in a pH of around 6.5 as well, they're much more tolerant of change or the wrong pH, and one betta would absolutely love having a ten gallon to themselves. You could even throw in a little nerite snail, they don't breed in freshwater, if you feel like your betta wouldn't bother them. It just depends on the betta. Just... be warned nerites are absolute pooping machines. (and have algae tabs just in case there's not enough leftover food/algae in there for them to eat)
Image
------------------
Credit
Jack
Night
Wolf

-

My Kalons
My Characters
My Closed Species

------------------
---------------------------
Hello! I used to be Trixyr,
and recently changed my
username! It's a bit of a
mouthful, so feel free to
call me Trp if you like!

The art in my sig is
currently an editable
found here if you
want one of your own!

---------------------------
User avatar
Trphlthdl
 
Posts: 4243
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:38 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby Darrow » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:29 am

Hi I was wondering, does anyone have any idea how big this tank I found might be? I'm thinking it's around 1.5 and I'm planning on keeping some snail or shrimp, but can anyone confirm?
life and
other stuff
User avatar
Darrow
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:53 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby MapleNeko » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:36 am

darrow wrote:
Hi I was wondering, does anyone have any idea how big this tank I found might be? I'm thinking it's around 1.5 and I'm planning on keeping some snail or shrimp, but can anyone confirm?

Looks like a 2.5 to me, do you have dimensions on it?
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
╔════════════════════════════════╗
Image
Image
Image
▰▰ My WME Herd ▰▰
Click us!
ImageImageImageImage

Hey there! my names Mapleneko and im your typical Uni student <3 I absolutly adore animals with anything aquatic, feathered or feline being my favourite! i'm an Axolotl mom and breeder so please feel free to msg me if you want to know more about the silly critters.
the anime is Akatsuki no Yona btw!

╚═══════════════════════════════╝
User avatar
MapleNeko
 
Posts: 2071
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:35 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby Darrow » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:08 am

MapleNeko wrote:
darrow wrote:[center]Hi I was wondering, does anyone have any idea how big this tank I found might be? I'm thinking it's around 1.5 and I'm planning on keeping some snail or shrimp, but can anyone confirm?

Looks like a 2.5 to me, do you have dimensions on it?


I quickly measured it and it's around 6(width)x 12(base)x 8(height) in inches
life and
other stuff
User avatar
Darrow
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:53 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby MapleNeko » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:23 am

Yup that's exactly 2.5 gallons
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
╔════════════════════════════════╗
Image
Image
Image
▰▰ My WME Herd ▰▰
Click us!
ImageImageImageImage

Hey there! my names Mapleneko and im your typical Uni student <3 I absolutly adore animals with anything aquatic, feathered or feline being my favourite! i'm an Axolotl mom and breeder so please feel free to msg me if you want to know more about the silly critters.
the anime is Akatsuki no Yona btw!

╚═══════════════════════════════╝
User avatar
MapleNeko
 
Posts: 2071
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:35 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby Darrow » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:27 am

MapleNeko wrote:Yup that's exactly 2.5 gallons


aw nice thanks so much!
life and
other stuff
User avatar
Darrow
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:53 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby LizardsAreLovely » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:16 pm

Hi everyone! So I own a forty gallon tank and am soon going to be filling it with zebrafish! Since the zebrafish are more likely than not going to be temporary I don't know much about them. Does anyone by chance know how many zebrafish I can put in a forty gallon tank, what would be a good food for them and, how often should they be fed? Since i'm going to have them for a month or possibly longer I want to ensure they will be comfortable. I don't want them to be over crowded or fed too often/too little. Thanks to anyone that helps! <3
Taking a break due to an issue. Will be back soon.

clearing and redoing my profile.
LizardsAreLovely
 
Posts: 3348
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:48 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby MapleNeko » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:51 pm

LizardsAreLovely wrote:Hi everyone! So I own a forty gallon tank and am soon going to be filling it with zebrafish! Since the zebrafish are more likely than not going to be temporary I don't know much about them. Does anyone by chance know how many zebrafish I can put in a forty gallon tank, what would be a good food for them and, how often should they be fed? Since i'm going to have them for a month or possibly longer I want to ensure they will be comfortable. I don't want them to be over crowded or fed too often/too little. Thanks to anyone that helps! <3

Well if you plan on doing a species only tank with only zebra danios (I'm assuming that's what we're talking about) acordinnto aquaadvisor you could comfortably fit 30-40 of them in there. Most flake foods should be ok for them, try to find a slightly better quality one, and I typically feed my tropicals 1-2 times a day.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
╔════════════════════════════════╗
Image
Image
Image
▰▰ My WME Herd ▰▰
Click us!
ImageImageImageImage

Hey there! my names Mapleneko and im your typical Uni student <3 I absolutly adore animals with anything aquatic, feathered or feline being my favourite! i'm an Axolotl mom and breeder so please feel free to msg me if you want to know more about the silly critters.
the anime is Akatsuki no Yona btw!

╚═══════════════════════════════╝
User avatar
MapleNeko
 
Posts: 2071
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:35 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby LizardsAreLovely » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:06 pm

MapleNeko wrote:
LizardsAreLovely wrote:Hi everyone! So I own a forty gallon tank and am soon going to be filling it with zebrafish! Since the zebrafish are more likely than not going to be temporary I don't know much about them. Does anyone by chance know how many zebrafish I can put in a forty gallon tank, what would be a good food for them and, how often should they be fed? Since i'm going to have them for a month or possibly longer I want to ensure they will be comfortable. I don't want them to be over crowded or fed too often/too little. Thanks to anyone that helps! <3

Well if you plan on doing a species only tank with only zebra danios (I'm assuming that's what we're talking about) acordinnto aquaadvisor you could comfortably fit 30-40 of them in there. Most flake foods should be ok for them, try to find a slightly better quality one, and I typically feed my tropicals 1-2 times a day.


Thanks so much! You have helped me a ton!
Taking a break due to an issue. Will be back soon.

clearing and redoing my profile.
LizardsAreLovely
 
Posts: 3348
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:48 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests