The Great Ferret Alliance

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: The Great Ferret Alliance

Postby Eevee » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:28 am

Ahaha yes! Ferrets can eat raw eggs because they are obligate carnivores ^-^ they are supposed to eat raw meat, their bodies aren’t like ours with the salmonella. And raw eggs are especially good because it helps with hair balls (really good at this time of year due to changing of the seasons) but salmon oil does the same thing too if you aren’t comfortable with the egg c: salmon oil is just bit, fishier lol. You can find salmon oil in the dog or cat isles in Walmart or pet stores (with the salmon oil, I think there shouldn’t be more than 4 ingredients). But make sure you google how much salmon oil they are supposed to have a week! You don’t want to give them too much ^-^ and your babies are sooo cute!! They look so photogenic! Mine are so hard to keep still for a picture

Eevee / Formerly Bleedingjay
looking to complete
my item collection. Any wl
items are greatly appreciated.
currently looking for dreamies:
pps malk dragon, td coontail, ba and bmd
I hoard B&W border collies and Grey Border Collies.
Please trade me them!

Eevee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:39 am

Bleedingjay wrote:Ahaha yes! Ferrets can eat raw eggs because they are obligate carnivores ^-^ they are supposed to eat raw meat, their bodies aren’t like ours with the salmonella. And raw eggs are especially good because it helps with hair balls (really good at this time of year due to changing of the seasons) but salmon oil does the same thing too if you aren’t comfortable with the egg c: salmon oil is just bit, fishier lol. You can find salmon oil in the dog or cat isles in Walmart or pet stores (with the salmon oil, I think there shouldn’t be more than 4 ingredients). But make sure you google how much salmon oil they are supposed to have a week! You don’t want to give them too much ^-^ and your babies are sooo cute!! They look so photogenic! Mine are so hard to keep still for a picture

Actually ferrets can get salmonella and you should be just vigilant with your carpet sharks as with your dogs and cats.
https://m.petmd.com/ferret/conditions/d ... monellosis

You also need to very wary of botulism when feeding raw ( if you leave it in longer than a day) as this hits very fast and is often fatal in many cases when a ferret gets it.

I've also seen posts about leaving dry biscuits in for two days ferret food has a tendency to loose it's nutritional value if it's left in for longer than 24 hours I advice to only put in as much as the ferrets are eating maybe twice a day. It prevents a lot of waste and stops the hoarding ( which they do with any food ) and they also get all of the protein which is lost when food is left to go stale.

I've had ferrets on and off for over 20 years, I've had rescues and bred my own working line. Currently have only 1 boy as my other passed away from old age ( don't worry a friend has ferrets he plays with daily).
CharsArt WantedTradescredit
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something
Sarcastic and witty with this but
We cant be bothered. We go by
Angelus One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh lover

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eevee » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:49 am

Angelus Gaston wrote:
Bleedingjay wrote:Ahaha yes! Ferrets can eat raw eggs because they are obligate carnivores ^-^ they are supposed to eat raw meat, their bodies aren’t like ours with the salmonella. And raw eggs are especially good because it helps with hair balls (really good at this time of year due to changing of the seasons) but salmon oil does the same thing too if you aren’t comfortable with the egg c: salmon oil is just bit, fishier lol. You can find salmon oil in the dog or cat isles in Walmart or pet stores (with the salmon oil, I think there shouldn’t be more than 4 ingredients). But make sure you google how much salmon oil they are supposed to have a week! You don’t want to give them too much ^-^ and your babies are sooo cute!! They look so photogenic! Mine are so hard to keep still for a picture

Actually ferrets can get salmonella and you should be just vigilant with your carpet sharks as with your dogs and cats.

You also need to very wary of botulism when feeding raw ( if you leave it in longer than a day) as this hits very fast and is often fatal in many cases when a ferret gets it.

I've also seen posts about leaving dry biscuits in for two days ferret food has a tendency to loose it's nutritional value if it's left in for longer than 24 hours I advice to only put in as much as the ferrets are eating maybe twice a day. It prevents a lot of waste and stops the hoarding ( which they do with any food ) and they also get all of the protein which is lost when food is left to go stale.

I've had ferrets on and off for over 20 years, I've had rescues and bred my own working line. Currently have only 1 boy as my other passed away from old age ( don't worry a friend has ferrets he plays with daily).

BUT, it’s very unlikely ferrets get salmonella (I never said they couldn’t, I said their bodies aren’t like ours, or like dogs/cats even. Because humans/dogs/cats aren’t carnivores) They have good gut bacteria, fast metabolism, and are carnivores. They aren’t like dogs and cats that were evolved to not be obligate carnivores. Ferrets poop every 3-4 hours for a reason! I have done plenty of raw feeding research and have raw fed myself before too! I get what you mean though c; always be safe and make sure your ferrets immune system are strong and the food you are giving is fresh. It’s all about safe handling! Also, I would never advise anyone to leave raw meat in their ferrets cage whatsoever! For many different reasons : P anyways, raw egg is safe for your ferrets to eat. Of course, feel free to research this yourself as I have c: but if you aren’t sure still, like I said before, salmon oil does the same thing as an egg does. I use both because I have a picky boy that refuses anything raw so he gets salmon oil. Also, the benefit of salmon oil, is it makes your ferrets coat so silky and soft! It’s great for them!
Last edited by Eevee on Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

looking to complete
Please trade me them!

Eevee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:02 am

Bleedingjay wrote:
Angelus Gaston wrote:

BUT, it’s very unlikely ferrets get salmonella. They have good gut bacteria, fast metabolism, and are carnivores. They aren’t like dogs and cats that were evolved to not be obligate carnivores. Ferrets poop every 3-4 hours for a reason! I have done plenty of raw feeding research and have raw fed myself before too! I get what you mean though c; always be safe and make sure your ferrets immune system are strong and the food you are giving is fresh. It’s all about safe handling!

Yes but brushing it off is not safe there is also the misinformation with stating they can not get it. If someone reads it and gets the wrong idea it could be fatal. I had someone bring me a sick ferret with symptoms of salmonella poisoning who had heard the same thing I had the ferret die in my arms ( vet wouldn't take exotics which is what ferrets are in the UK ).

It's better to be safe than sorry as I said prepare it how you would any other pets ( cats are also obligated carnivorous ) because it's not often doesn't mean it can't happen if you slack of.
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eevee » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:11 am

Angelus Gaston wrote:Yes but brushing it off is not safe there is also the misinformation with stating they can not get it. If someone reads it and gets the wrong idea it could be fatal. I had someone bring me a sick ferret with symptoms of salmonella poisoning who had heard the same thing I had the ferret die in my arms ( vet wouldn't take exotics which is what ferrets are in the UK ).

It's better to be safe than sorry as I said prepare it how you would any other pets ( cats are also obligated carnivorous ) because it's not often doesn't mean it can't happen if you slack of.

I didn’t say they couldn’t get it. I am not trying to be hostile or prove you wrong omg! I am just saying we both are obviously experienced and want what is best. I am literally saying, that a raw diet is what is BEST for ferrets. Obviously, there is precautionary actions for not only a ferret, but for humans. Ferrets, no matter what high quality kibbles they eat, will not get what they need from kibble alone. Even the high quality kibble that I myself use. Ferrets are exotics in the USA as well. Feeding anything raw to your animal, of course you need to be careful, all I am saying, is that ferrets bodies are meant to be eating raw meat. If a ferrets gets salmonella, it’s because
1.your ferret is sick/low immune system
2. Something is wrong with the meat you are feeding

Anyways, I don’t want to continue over a raw feeding debate when this was about feeding a egg when I said salmon oil does the same thing if they were not comfortable with that.

looking to complete
Please trade me them!

Eevee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:31 am

Bleedingjay wrote:
Angelus Gaston wrote:Yes but brushing it off is not safe there is also the misinformation with stating they can not get it. If someone reads it and gets the wrong idea it could be fatal. I had someone bring me a sick ferret with symptoms of salmonella poisoning who had heard the same thing I had the ferret die in my arms ( vet wouldn't take exotics which is what ferrets are in the UK ).

I’m not saying they cannot get it either! I am not trying to be hostile or prove you wrong omg! I am just saying we both are obviously experienced and want what is best. I am literally saying, that a raw diet is what is BEST for ferrets. Obviously, there is precautionary actions for not only a ferret, but for humans. Ferrets, no matter what high quality kibbles they eat, will not get what they need from kibble alone. Even the high quality kibble that I myself use. Ferrets are exotics in the USA.

I'm not trying to be hostile ether I'm just trying to point out the fact you nearly brushed of the salmonella. I think it's how you worded it in your post it came across as they couldn't get it not that it's low risk.

I don't really like using dry biscuits and the only time I do is during the spring and summer when it's hot ( they still get there raw just after dark when it's cooler but any left over is removed in the morning) and the risk of botulism is higher if they eat rotting meat. Mine eat a wide variety of fresh meat mostly rabbit because it's what we have permission to hunt but they get chicken, beef, lamb, hearts, liver, lights even ostrich. If we can eat it the pets get it.
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eevee » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:37 am

I also want to say how great salmon oil is! Not only is it great for their coat, but it’s so easy to groom your ferrets when you put it on their bellies! I put it on the belly so while they are busy licking away, I can trim their nails in peace without being clawed to death, or the risk of cutting their quick (kwik? Idk I’ve seen so many variations of the word). Here are my 4, as you can see, Tesla is stealing her brothers salmon oil c; (from left to right: Daxter, Dublin, Tesla, and Ireland)

looking to complete
Please trade me them!

Eevee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:46 am

Bleedingjay wrote:
I also want to say how great salmon oil is! Not only is it great for their coat, but it’s so easy to groom your ferrets when you put it on their bellies! I put it on the belly so while they are busy licking away, I can trim their nails in peace without being clawed to death, or the risk of cutting their kwik making them bleed. Here are my 4, as you can see, Tesla is stealing her brothers salmon oil c; (from left to right: Daxter, Dublin, Tesla, and Ireland)

I use a liver paste ment for my Border Collie they like it better than salmon oil ( think having raw fish the oil alone is unworthy of there attention ). Just get my brother to hold it and they roll over with no fuss they do better than the dogs and the cats when it comes to nail trimming. I blame it on being spoilt.
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eevee » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:49 am

Angelus Gaston wrote:
Bleedingjay wrote:
I also want to say how great salmon oil is! Not only is it great for their coat, but it’s so easy to groom your ferrets when you put it on their bellies! I put it on the belly so while they are busy licking away, I can trim their nails in peace without being clawed to death, or the risk of cutting their kwik making them bleed. Here are my 4, as you can see, Tesla is stealing her brothers salmon oil c; (from left to right: Daxter, Dublin, Tesla, and Ireland)

I use a liver paste ment for my Border Collie they like it better than salmon oil ( think having raw fish the oil alone is unworthy of there attention ). Just get my brother to hold it and they roll over with no fuss they do better than the dogs and the cats when it comes to nail trimming. I blame it on being spoilt.

Liver paste? I don’t think I have ever heard of that. The USA doesn’t have much raw stuff for dogs in our pet stores. Where do you buy it? I’d love to try it

looking to complete
Please trade me them!

Eevee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:07 am

Bleedingjay wrote:
Angelus Gaston wrote:
Bleedingjay wrote:

Liver paste? I don’t think I have ever heard of that. The USA doesn’t have much raw stuff for dogs in our pet stores. Where do you buy it? I’d love to try it

You can make it yourself if you don't mind cooking liver. I just soften it up in a pan blend it till it's smooth with a bit of blood from the meat. You can easily put it in kongs or other stuffer toys hours of fun for cats, dogs and ferrets. Just don't make it to wet or it gets everywhere.

You can also find all sorts on Amazon I've found some really weird treats but Mihawk doesn't really eat them because he thinks he is a dog not a ferret.
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery