The Great Ferret Alliance

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: The Great Ferret Alliance

Postby Eevee » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:25 am

Angelus Gaston wrote:You can make it yourself if you don't mind cooking liver. I just soften it up in a pan blend it till it's smooth with a bit of blood from the meat. You can easily put it in kongs or other stuffer toys hours of fun for cats, dogs and ferrets. Just don't make it to wet or it gets everywhere.

You can also find all sorts on Amazon I've found some really weird treats but Mihawk doesn't really eat them because he thinks he is a dog not a ferret.

I’ll definitely look on amazon for some. I’m trying to implement more raw into their diet. Mine were all rescues and ate just Marshalls for the longest time. The youngest is very great when it comes to trying new food (she is younger than a year) I am fortunate I was able to switch them to a better kibble. I have tried to make a raw soup but they wouldn’t touch it and no matter what I did I couldn’t switch them. So I am trying more slowly now with giving them raw products as treats c:

Eevee / Formerly Bleedingjay
looking to complete
my item collection. Any wl
items are greatly appreciated.
currently looking for dreamies:
pps malk dragon, td coontail, ba and bmd
I hoard B&W border collies and Grey Border Collies.
Please trade me them!

Eevee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:40 am

Bleedingjay wrote:
Angelus Gaston wrote:You can make it yourself if you don't mind cooking liver. I just soften it up in a pan blend it till it's smooth with a bit of blood from the meat. You can easily put it in kongs or other stuffer toys hours of fun for cats, dogs and ferrets. Just don't make it to wet or it gets everywhere.

You can also find all sorts on Amazon I've found some really weird treats but Mihawk doesn't really eat them because he thinks he is a dog not a ferret.

I’ll definitely look on amazon for some. I’m trying to implement more raw into their diet. Mine were all rescues and ate just Marshalls for the longest time. The youngest is very great when it comes to trying new food (she is younger than a year) I am fortunate I was able to switch them to a better kibble. I have tried to make a raw soup but they wouldn’t touch it and no matter what I did I couldn’t switch them. So I am trying more slowly now with giving them raw products as treats c:

If you can frozen pet mince that can be fed in a small amount ( plus if you only chop of a bit it can be kept frozen) as a treat or even human grade mince meat slightly warmed. I added the blood from liver or kidneys to my babies and they loved it any who didn't I tried day old chicks and just popped them ( aimed for the yoke sack ) so it was the egg they got first.
I've been lucky as most of my rescues were young or fed raw with the old owners just incapable of looking after them properly.
CharsArt WantedTradescredit
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something
Sarcastic and witty with this but
We cant be bothered. We go by
Angelus One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh lover

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby arcнιe » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:46 am

Is there any way to get a ferret in california?
arcнιe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby swiftheart54 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:32 pm

Bleedingjay wrote:Ahaha yes! Ferrets can eat raw eggs because they are obligate carnivores ^-^ they are supposed to eat raw meat, their bodies aren’t like ours with the salmonella. And raw eggs are especially good because it helps with hair balls (really good at this time of year due to changing of the seasons) but salmon oil does the same thing too if you aren’t comfortable with the egg c: salmon oil is just bit, fishier lol. You can find salmon oil in the dog or cat isles in Walmart or pet stores (with the salmon oil, I think there shouldn’t be more than 4 ingredients). But make sure you google how much salmon oil they are supposed to have a week! You don’t want to give them too much ^-^ and your babies are sooo cute!! They look so photogenic! Mine are so hard to keep still for a picture

I see, hmmm ill probably just see how they like salmon oil. How about feeding them a cooked plain egg? would it be the same or would it make it diff? lol but i will definitely look for the salmon oil! That's a great idea to have it distract them while you clip there nails and such, mine haaaate it and will wiggle till they are free lol. They have clawed me and my fiends are like did your cat do that? lol Your ferrets are sooo cute!

StripedCat wrote:Is there any way to get a ferret in california?

They are illegal to own in California as far as i know unfortunately :c i want to go on vacation there sooo bad to visit people but i would need to take my ferrets with meh and they are not allowed. And even if you sneak one in California (I would def advise against!) You would not stand a chance to find a veterinarian if you needed one in an emergency. And i think if you are found with one it would get taken away from you :c Someone needs to change that law! Ferrets should be legal everywhere c:

Has anyone's ferret been in a dead sleep? mine will not and i seen all these videos on youtube and facebook omg its the cutest thing ever lol if i just look at my ferrets cage they have awakened lol And i wanted to share these pics of these ferrets ahhhh i wanted to take them all, they where sooooo cute "Petco ferrets"
Attachments
IMG_0795 (1).jpg
IMG_0795 (1).jpg (99.68 KiB) Viewed 190 times
IMG_0793.jpg
IMG_0793.jpg (128.71 KiB) Viewed 190 times
Last edited by swiftheart54 on Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
swiftheart54

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eevee » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:32 pm

Lullaboo wrote:I really like ferrets. I plan to adopt one. My friend has a couple of cute ferrets, when they have children, she will give me one. Her ferret is already pregnant, so I want to prepare a cage for a little ferret in advance. I read a lot of articles on the portal bestferretguide, but I have a few questions. What kind of food is better for a ferret - cat food or is it better for me to cook it food? I don't want my ferret to be in a cage all the time (only while I am not at home), how can I train a ferret to the toilet? When is it better to start doing?

Hello! I am so excited for you! Owning ferrets are one of my greatest joys in life! I'm sure you will be in for a great time c: Anyways, there are different kinds of food you could purchase for your ferret. Cat food is fine for your ferret, make sure you get a high quality cat food. Some examples are Orijen cat/kitten, Young Again ZERO, EVO Cat, etc. Wellness Core used to be good too, but unfortunately they added peas higher up the on the ingredients list so I would stay away from that. You want to look at the ingredients and make sure there are no fruits/veggies, mostly meat. Higher the protein the better, ferrets are obligate carnivores c: I am in a ferret group, and what most people feed their ferrets are a 50/50 mix of Origin cat food+Wysong Digestive support ferret food. Wysong is the best kibble you can feed your ferret (I order mine off Chewy.com). People advice you to use a other food mix with these for 1 main reason:
1. In case one of the foods you are feeding gets discontinued. Ferrets are very picky eaters and imprint on their food.
Another reason in my experience, is that Wysong is low in fat, so your ferret may lose weight by just feeding Wysong. So I always recommend mixing kibble 50/50. c:

With your cooking food option, ferrets dont eat/shouldnt eat cooked meat. Cooking the meat looses the nutrients ferrets need. If you mean by raw feeding, then YES! Raw meat is the absolute best diet your ferret can have. But, this can be tricky. I always recommend research when going this route (You want to make sure what you are preparing is safe and your ferret gets everything it needs). And I would recommend reading Holistic ferret forums. These are loaded with tons of different information about ferrets, specifically diet.

With potty training, ferrets do their business in corners. I have a triple ferret nation cage, so I have three litter boxes in the corners they prefer to use most. I have fleece blankets lining the floors of my cage and lukcily for me, they dont poop on the fleece, so it works for me. I cant give much advice on this topic, because I was blessed with ferrets that are trained already : P But, there are plenty of potty training forums too!

Good luck! I hope I was I was clear in my response.

I do not live in California so I cant really speak with experience. I am in a ferret group, and there are ferret owners there that still keep them. I would recommend researching further. I found this very interesting.

looking to complete
Please trade me them!

Eevee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eevee » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:44 pm

swiftheart54 wrote:
Bleedingjay wrote:Ahaha yes! Ferrets can eat raw eggs because they are obligate carnivores ^-^ they are supposed to eat raw meat, their bodies aren’t like ours with the salmonella. And raw eggs are especially good because it helps with hair balls (really good at this time of year due to changing of the seasons) but salmon oil does the same thing too if you aren’t comfortable with the egg c: salmon oil is just bit, fishier lol. You can find salmon oil in the dog or cat isles in Walmart or pet stores (with the salmon oil, I think there shouldn’t be more than 4 ingredients). But make sure you google how much salmon oil they are supposed to have a week! You don’t want to give them too much ^-^ and your babies are sooo cute!! They look so photogenic! Mine are so hard to keep still for a picture

I see, hmmm ill probably just see how they like salmon oil. How about feeding them a cooked plain egg? would it be the same or would it make it diff? lol but i will definitely look for the salmon oil! That's a great idea to have it distract them while you clip there nails and such, mine haaaate it and will wiggle till they are free lol. They have clawed me and my fiends are like did your cat do that? lol Your ferrets are sooo cute!

They are illegal to own in California as far as i know unfortunately :c i want to go on vacation there sooo bad to visit people but i would need to take my ferrets with meh and they are not allowed. And even if you sneak one in California (I would def advise against!) You would not stand a chance to find a veterinarian if you needed one in an emergency. And i think if you are found with one it would get taken away from you :c Someone needs to change that law! Ferrets should be legal everywhere c:

Has anyone's ferret been in a dead sleep? mine will not and i seen all these videos on youtube and facebook omg its the cutest thing ever lol if i just look at my ferrets cage they have awakened lol And i wanted to share these pics of these ferrets ahhhh i wanted to take them all, they where sooooo cute "Petco ferrets"

I dont believe giving them cooked egg will do any harm c: as long as you dont put anything on them like salt or pepper! I think I have heard of people hard boiling their eggs and giving it to their ferrets. People even give them with the egg shell for added calcium. I personally dont because mine wont eat the shell and it makes a mess :0

ahhh, I hate going to petco because their ferrets are so freaking cute. ;3; I want to take them all. But 4 is enough for me big time!

looking to complete
Please trade me them!

Eevee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eevee » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:29 am

Daxter got to go outside today since it was so nice <3

looking to complete
Please trade me them!

Eevee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby swiftheart54 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:58 am

[/quote]I dont believe giving them cooked egg will do any harm c: as long as you dont put anything on them like salt or pepper! I think I have heard of people hard boiling their eggs and giving it to their ferrets. People even give them with the egg shell for added calcium. I personally dont because mine wont eat the shell and it makes a mess :0

ahhh, I hate going to petco because their ferrets are so freaking cute. ;3; I want to take them all. But 4 is enough for me big time![/quote]

Holy cow i wish this thread was more active! ooohhh i had some trouble with my baby Roamer :c I have been inactive because i just moved to a new place and so my internet access was all over the place and i have been soooooo tired lol. Roamer started losing his hair a while ago! i was sooo freaked out, I was reading things online and stuff and that could be a warning sign of adrenal disease so i rushed him into the vet. Tests came back normal (Thank god!) so the vet recommended changing his diet off of the marshals (Which i had already bought their new food!) While waiting for the new food to arrive i tried to give them a hard boiled egg but they where not a fan lol they did not like it at all ha. I am currently switching them over to the wysong and have been giving Roamer Duck soup and the extra vitamin tourine paste stuff. His hair is growing back! i am so thrilled he will be ok. I wouldn't know what i would do without the little fuzzball.

Awww Daxter is sooooo adorable!
swiftheart54

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Transkitty » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:40 pm

swiftheart54 wrote:
I dont believe giving them cooked egg will do any harm c: as long as you dont put anything on them like salt or pepper! I think I have heard of people hard boiling their eggs and giving it to their ferrets. People even give them with the egg shell for added calcium. I personally dont because mine wont eat the shell and it makes a mess :0

ahhh, I hate going to petco because their ferrets are so freaking cute. ;3; I want to take them all. But 4 is enough for me big time![/quote]

Holy cow i wish this thread was more active! ooohhh i had some trouble with my baby Roamer :c I have been inactive because i just moved to a new place and so my internet access was all over the place and i have been soooooo tired lol. Roamer started losing his hair a while ago! i was sooo freaked out, I was reading things online and stuff and that could be a warning sign of adrenal disease so i rushed him into the vet. Tests came back normal (Thank god!) so the vet recommended changing his diet off of the marshals (Which i had already bought their new food!) While waiting for the new food to arrive i tried to give them a hard boiled egg but they where not a fan lol they did not like it at all ha. I am currently switching them over to the wysong and have been giving Roamer Duck soup and the extra vitamin tourine paste stuff. His hair is growing back! i am so thrilled he will be ok. I wouldn't know what i would do without the little fuzzball.

Awww Daxter is sooooo adorable![/quote]

This is also the time of year when ferrets can lose a lot of their coat due to seasonal shedding. However, the test for adrenal disease has been known to produce false negatives. If his fur is coming back in it probably isn't adrenal, I just wanted to make sure you were aware that the test isn't the most accurate.

As for the vitamin paste you mentioned, what brand is it? If it's ferretvite, that's terrible for ferrets. It's basically sugar in a tube, which ferret bodies don't process. This increases their risk of insulinoma.
Transkitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby swiftheart54 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:59 pm

This is also the time of year when ferrets can lose a lot of their coat due to seasonal shedding. However, the test for adrenal disease has been known to produce false negatives. If his fur is coming back in it probably isn't adrenal, I just wanted to make sure you were aware that the test isn't the most accurate.

As for the vitamin paste you mentioned, what brand is it? If it's ferretvite, that's terrible for ferrets. It's basically sugar in a tube, which ferret bodies don't process. This increases their risk of insulinoma.
[/quote]

Oh, i see what you mean, but it was a ton of hair loss. My other ferret charlie still had all of his normal amount of hair, so i was sure something was not right with him. Roamer is a sable ferret and has always been dark colored on his back. All the hair on his back was so short and there was absolutely no top coat hairs what so ever, it was like soft fuzz and it was lighter colored. All around the bottom of there cage/floor was full of hair as well which did not happen before. But his hair is growing back surprisingly fast with just the higher quality food and it looks almost back to normal. My vet said it is probably because of the low quality food and that Roamer is small compared to charlie so he is most likely a food bully which is frustrating. They have always got a full bowl of food once a day and seemed fine. I have been making sure that Roamer eats enough by separating them so Roamer has first dibs with food. They are slowly however eating less and less because of the protein jump! cant wait to get them used to just Wysong. They are even less smelly then i remember! As for the inaccuracy of the test i was not aware, but since his hair is growing back i do not think its adrenal (fingers crossed!) Holy crap, well it is the marshals brand Furo-vite :x and that's probably the one you mean ugg. I wouldn't doubt your concern. gah i hate Marshals im throwing it out... my poor babbies... :(
swiftheart54

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me