Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby ryukrem » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:49 am

Soul Of Winter wrote:I'm so sorry! I have scoliosis and can still ride, I have pain but manage it with ibeprophen, but I'm so sorry you might have to quit riding! I'm ure you wont have to forever, I'm sure you could go on rides occasionally?

Depends on the situation because if my spine gets fused, I can't risk falling or my spine will break. I should know by the end of this month or next what my future will hold. My degree is pretty bad and I'm in constant pain. Riding hurts it to no end, but I just love it so much.
Ana the Derp wrote:I have a very bad posture problem and had a curved spine and riding helped me my spine uncurved and I am now the best rier at the stables. I guess it runes in the family. my aunt competed at world championships and my grandmas borther was a world champion and so on.

Riding makes my curve worse. Much worse.
Livid-Silver wrote:@Ryukrem; If you do have to quiet riding, you could always look into driving :) There's heaps of stuff to do in that, from dressage to marathons and combined driving! Take a look at Boyd Exell if you're not sure what I'm taking about. I really hope you don't have to quit riding, but if the worst comes to worst there are plenty of other things you can do with horses. Don't let your condition stop you from doing what you love :)

We don't have any driving resources or competitions around here, but I certainly plan on keeping horses in my life. Alice's owner told me I can spend as much time with her as I want, so that will make me happy.

ryukrem - lesbian - taken <3

prefer to roleplay off site. pm me.

roleplay search
ryukrem

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Albino_ » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:33 am

ryukrem wrote:
Soul Of Winter wrote:I'm so sorry! I have scoliosis and can still ride, I have pain but manage it with ibeprophen, but I'm so sorry you might have to quit riding! I'm ure you wont have to forever, I'm sure you could go on rides occasionally?

[list][list][size=85]Depends on the situation because if my spine gets fused, I can't risk falling or my spine will break. I should know by the end of this month or next what my future will hold. My degree is pretty bad and I'm in constant pain. Riding hurts it to no end, but I just love it -snip-

Yikes! My spine degree is 52 degrees, it hurts for me to bend over and constant moving but im use to the pain. But i am wishing you goodluck!
Albino_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby warmblood » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:59 pm

Luzien wrote:
pills wrote:does anyone know of some really soft, preferably affordable spurs?

why? and for what? what level are you at?

I ride jumper, occasionally hunter or xc and some beginner dressage for lessons. Outside of lessons just trails, different gaits for when I’m excersizing or doing rehab for a horse (walk to gallop). some jumping courses where a maintained and consistent speed is definitely needed, also they would come in handy for when I ride that pony digger, as he will ignore my leg and crop to the extreme. I consider my self a pretty soft rider, and I’m very careful with mouth pressure, and how I use the crop (just small flicks and taps). I’m at a crossroad of riding sort of between intermediate and advanced, and I’ve surprisingly never needed to own spurs up until now. I’ve never owned my own horse, only leased or ridden someone else’s, sometimes for pay as a excersize rider. Spurs still aren’t necessary but would be a aid for my riding. Whenever I’ve needed spurs, I’ve always used my coach’s or someone else’s. I believe my legs to be strong enough without.
warmblood

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kestrell » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:24 am

ahhh it's been so long since I've posted,,, whoops :lol:

@Pills
My Prince of Wales are usually my "go to" in the spur world. They come in a variety of lengths (like most spurs) and do not have a sharp edge like disk spurs or points like rowel spurs . If you really want soft, there are rubber spurs out there as well. Although, I find those pretty unnecessary because if a horse really needs spurs,,, well you get it.

@Scoliosis
I'm so sorry to hear that! I am lucky enough to have had minor enough scoliosis that I grew out of it during childhood, but I know how sore you must get :(

@My question for you guys
Now that show season seems to be just around the corner (for those of you that DO show) and summer seems to be coming up fast, what is everyone doing to get ready? Do you have any showing plans coming up? What are you guys excited about?!

Update?:
wooooow so much has changed since I gave my last update- but I'll keep it short and sweet. I've switched instructors, leaving my coach that has known me since I was 10 to join one of the top eventing coaches in the area as well as taking extra lessons from my farrier! I've had to revamp basically everything with my riding and I've come out the other side so much more confident to the fences and my flatwork is just way better :lol: I hope I can get my hands on some pictures to compare because it's like night and day... I'm really looking forward for this summer because I'm working for an eventing coach in exchange for rides (which I'm excited about! Because i'd really like to take advantage of all the riding I can possibly get before school comes again). My main coach has her hopes up that we can possibly spend time up in Wisconsin or Kentucky showing- which is super cool because due to difficulties in the past I haven't shown in over 4 years :shock:
Last edited by Kestrell on Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello I am Kestrel! Call me whatever
I go by she/her pronouns
I am very fond of any sort of art
I am usually very shy...but I don't bite!

LinkLink
coding
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kestrell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby APH Italy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:01 am

Kestrell wrote:@My question for you guys
Now that show season seems to be just around the corner (for those of you that DO show) and summer seems to be coming up fast, what is everyone doing to get ready? Do you have any showing plans coming up? What are you guys excited about?!

I'm so excited for show season!! It'll be my first year showing so I've been putting in a lot of hard work with my lease horse. She's a great horse to start with. I've been taking lessons and working on my own (trying to learn to make sure im on the right diagonal without someone telling me, checking my legs, that kinda thing)

I still need to get show clothes, but im looking into buying off of stateline tack since they seem to be much cheaper than dover-

If y'all have any pointers I would love to hear them? We'll be doing basic walk/trot classes, probably adding canter in a little later
APH Italy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cacticollie » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:03 pm

i brought home my first (technically) horse on yesterday
ive been riding since i was a little kid but just got back into it last year
here's his papers if you like look at those
i team sort with him next Sunday and im so excited to see how he does
cacticollie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby andrewminyard » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:33 pm

I go riding every Saturday and I love it soooo much. Horses are my favourite animal and my friends call me horse obsessed/crazy haha. I wish I owned a horse or a pony, it would be amazing!!!!!!!!!!!
andrewminyard

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Livid-Silver » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:51 am

@Callum hunt; Yeah its a super fun training method! I taught Reggie spanish walk using a target-based method =D Targeting spooky objects can also be very useful in desensitizing, I do find it often makes the horses more curious and likely to approach an object they'd usually find frightening.

@Kestrell; We're sorta starting to wind down our showing season, but I had hope to maybe do a few more eventing comps before the season finished. Might not get the chance as Reggie seems to be a little funny in the hind legs atm, but to get them comp ready I usually do a fair amount of hacking out and fitness work. The thoroughbreds don't really need so much of this, but being a draft cross, Reggie takes a decent amount of time to get fit :lol: So in an ideal world, you'd do 2-3 dressage sessions, 1 hack and then one set of speed/hill work per week after I'm legged him up and gotten to a base level of fitness. Every other week he might have a jump session in place of a dressage if I think he needs a tune up, but I don't tend to jump all that often. Reg doesn't need a ton of jumping coming up to a comp anyway.
That's really exciting you might get to show up in Kentucky or Wisconsin! If you keep working hard I'm sure it will be no problem :) Keep us all posted!

@Mehingan; Your horse looks very sweet :) I'm not familar with any of his breeding, but he seems like a nice little horse.

@Luna; It really depends on the use of the whip and/or spurs. You can certainly hurt and injure a horse using either of these tools, if they are used in a harsh manner. I would probably argue that any area on a horse is sensitive, hence why the use of these tools is so important. A spur can be used on a trained horse to limit the amount the leg needs to move about, as the pressure is concentrated in a smaller area; but because the pressure is concentrated in a smaller area, they must be used gently or they will cause pain. Whips can be used to reinforce a leg aid on an untrained horse or one that needs a bit of backup for the leg, but again, it concentrates the pressure to a smaller area. So you don't need nearly as much force to get the same (or a greater) effect. The flanks/hindquarters of a horse are still extremely sensitive (think, they can feel a fly land anywhere on their body) so we, as riders, have to take that into account and make sure we don't misuse our tools.

@SilverTongue_11; If you stick with it, I'm sure you'll end up with a pony one day. Just got to put in the hard yards first, cause having horses is not easy in any way shape or form :lol:

~~~

I don't have too much to update on, Reggie still seems a little funny behind but I can't pinpoint exactly what. I rode him today to test and he was pretty good in all the trot and walk work, but he was still unable to pick up the canter lead nicely on one rein. He did in the start, but as you go on he gets choppy and ends up changing leads, so I'll put him back out into the paddock for a little longer and reassess. I would keep doing some trot work in the long lines but if its his stifle being a bit funny, don't really want him doing more than he has to on that. Went up and visited Cleo and Miles again since we had a public holiday. He's gotten so much bigger but still as friendly as ever. His favourite thing is to stand behind you and rest his head on your shoulder :lol: I've got to buy a new halter for him too (which I knew I would) so i took a few spares to try on for sizing- he only just barely squeezed into the largest one I had, which was a shetland :lol: I might have to try a pony halter for him, but that sounds ridiculous for a barely 4 month old foal. The STB foals didn't usually have to move out of their foal halters until they were nearly if-not-already weaned.

Miles in the shetland halter. The cheek pieces and poll strap seem to be problem areas for fit.
Doing some desensitizing. Not phased at all :roll:
Livid-Silver

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wonderlandfox » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:48 pm

Me and my horse have a growing bond {it's very strong already} and I'm curious if anybody has any tips to help strengthen the bond or any beginner liberty tricks I could try with him? <3
I see him once a week but over breaks such as spring break and long weekends I go out to give him a groom and a bit of small ground work such as leading and coming when called.
He isn't technically my horse but his owner isn't out very often and I'm one of the only people who ride him. {I'd be devastated if she didn't let me ride him anymore}.
He loves treats but he tends to want to eat your WHOLE hand. Any tips to help with this too? Heh.
This post is all over the place, oops!
Thanks for any replies/help.
xxxxxImage
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
...She/Her
...Cancer ♋
...♡ Equestrian ♡
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxImage

ImagexxxxImage
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
xxxxxxxxxImage
■■■■■■■©-■■■■■■■
xxxxxxxImage

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
...Currently looking
...to complete my
...cat collection!
...♡♡
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxImage
xxxxImage
xxImage
wonderlandfox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby inkyy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:54 pm

WonderlandFox wrote:
Me and my horse have a growing bond {it's very strong already} and I'm curious if anybody has any tips to help strengthen the bond or any beginner liberty tricks I could try with him? <3
I see him once a week but over breaks such as spring break and long weekends I go out to give him a groom and a bit of small ground work such as leading and coming when called.
He isn't technically my horse but his owner isn't out very often and I'm one of the only people who ride him. {I'd be devastated if she didn't let me ride him anymore}.
He loves treats but he tends to want to eat your WHOLE hand. Any tips to help with this too? Heh.
This post is all over the place, oops!
Thanks for any replies/help.

idk if these count as liberty tricks
-stretches are useful and helpful for the horse's muscles. the ones i do with my horse include, standing with my back against his shoulder and making him reach & stretch his head/neck around me (kinda like a hug) to reach a carrot. this stretches out his neck. i do this a couple of times on each side before and after we ride (you dont have to do it as often this is just instructions from his physio cos he had back problems). see how far you can make them stretch :)
I also hold a carrot between his two front legs so he reaches down & kinda puts his nose/head between his legs. this also stretches out his neck and if you're into liberty tricks you could turn this into a "bow".
my horse also knows how to "smile" (ie put his top lip up) idk how his owner taught him how to do this but its super cute (maybe try googling it if you're interested?)
note that, if you teach him tricks & hes cheeky he might do what my horse does and just do the tricks by himself at random times and then demand treats lmao

-basic ground manners ie asking him to back up (you could do this by tapping on his chest with your hand or a crop and rewarding him when he backs up. use the same vocal cue each time and soon he will back up without you having to tap his chest) or walk nicely alongside you and stopping whenever you stop/not pulling.
-with the treat issue, we tend not to feed horses by hand if they do that, rather putting treats into a bucket. maybe try bigger treats like carrots so hes not searching around your hand to find them?
hope that some of these helped! :)

live long and prosper!
pfp by millionfish

inky / they / adult
toyhouse flight rising
trade thread
inkyy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes