Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby stirrupirons » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:22 pm

Awesome, new thread! c:

@chachee: Cinder is so cute! :)

@gunpowder & lead: I feel ya! The Andalusians that I ride and groom at work have super thick manes and tails. We keep a tube of Cowboy Magic detangler in our grooming totes for them. It works really well in their tails, they're complete pigs and get them all tangled up in brush and mud out in their paddocks. :P I just take a drop of it in my hand and then rub it in using both hands, like I'm rolling a stick to start a fire. Then instead of using a comb, I use a mane & tail brush from Oster. That works so much better because it's a lot more heavy duty. And I just work from the bottom to the top. I can get tails done in about 5 minutes using that method, and then after I spray a whole bunch of Showsheen in them :)

@Blue: Congrats on (temporarily) full leasing Ace! :) Have fun!
    As for paddock boots and half chaps, try Ariat paddock boots and Tredstep half chaps! I prefer to ride in tall boots all the time but my Ariat paddock boots lasted a while, in fact they're still going strong. I wore them every single day this past summer and while they scuffed up, nothing came apart (leather peeled around the tongue area, but that area's covered up by half chaps so it didn't really matter). I do recommend Mountain Horse field boots though; I have the dress boot version of their Venice boot (I have the Firenze) and they're SO NICE. They took a week to break in and they're soooo comfy and look like high dollar boots, but they're under $250! If you have a Facebook, there's a group called English Tack Trader and members sell tack they don't want, including boots. I've seen a whole bunch of name brand field boots for super cheap there; I'm selling a saddle pad there right now ;)

--

I rode Apollo today! I wish I rode Thinker, but he had already been ridden that day and I didn't want to push him too hard. :( Hopefully I'll ride him this week, I miss my big baby boy.
    Apollo spooked a few times because people were doing groundwork in the indoor with yearlings and there were whips etc flying around... :/ So I made my friend come ride with me in the outdoor. xD I cantered Apollo around exactly 5 times in each direction and even tried half seat on the long sides! I didn't like it at all. xD He tripped when I was in half seat and I almost came off, so I'm sticking to sitting the canter, lol. It was fun though! I lengthened my stirrups like one of my trainers told me to do and I felt such a difference, my leg wasn't cramped up at all and it was just awesome <3
    Oooo and guess what! I sold a pair of boots that I never used and from them alone I have enough money to buy a new show pad <3 I'm just getting this pad in white with black piping. I have two of them already in black and gray and they're so perfect <3 And btw, if anyone wants to buy this pad, the link that I gave is "secret" and the listed price is $33! So you can get monogramming (Like I am) and still spend less than the listed price!
stirrupirons

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ayeo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:40 pm

@Bluebird22 : Aha, Thank you! I would love to see a picture of that gelding if you don't mind. Although you don't have to show me a picture, its all good whether you do or not. :)

@monchele : Thank you! :) By the way that show pad looks outstanding!

So is anyone here familiar with Danish Warmbloods? ( Im guessing most of you are XD ) Aha well a young lady had just recently started boarding a mare named Z' at our stable and let me tell you she is absolutely gorgeous. Shes a Danish Warmblood and during my last lesson the owner was lunging her in the arena. Z's trot and canter looked unbelievably smooth, and she moved at a such a graceful pace. Its was like I was in Horse heaven. :P

I really wish I could take some pictures and videos of her, but im not sure if the owner would allow it. Even though shes a very nice lady, she may not want me taking pictures of her horse to show. ( if that made sense? XD )
Last edited by ayeo on Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
        i barely use this account lol?
        but I came here to add this: taeng is my younger sister.
        please don't ban her, she's only interested in roleplaying.
        thank you.
ayeo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby June Bug » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:06 pm

I don't have a whole lot of time, so I'll make this post short. I'll reply to the rest of you later~<3

@ gunpowder & lead.
After going through the process of de-tangling the mane and tail of a neglected and very matted Andalusian (a breed known for having extremely long and thick manes/tails), I'll tell you first off that a plastic (but sturdy) human hairbrush will be your best friend! That and a little MTG (good for his skin and promotes healthy hair growth) makes brushing through even the nastiest tangles so much easier. If he's got brittle or easily-pulled hair, be gentle as you don't want to pull it all out. However, if you use the MTG, the hair should start growing in strong enough that you don't have to worry about being careful. My boy's hair grows in so nicely now that I can brush through both his mane and tail quickly and have no stray hairs come off onto my brush.

In the land of good news, though, I told a friend of mine I'd like to ride bareback at some point (I've never had a chance to as the schools I've gone to don't allow you to ride schoolhorses this way and I've never leased or owned) and she told me I could use the old bareback pad that's in her locker any time I want. Grande/Alphonse doesn't ave a bony back or anything, but I kind of want to use a pad on the first try at least. I also got him a brand new fancy halter (burgundy and gold~). It fits perfectly and looks gorgeous on him <3
June Bug
Official Artist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Harleen Quinzel » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:23 pm

I got a 17yr old Egyptian Arabian named Ozay this year. He doesn't like to take his bit though. Anyone got suggestions? He wont let me put my fingers near his mouth, so I can't open it.

This is a picture of him btw (:
Harleen Quinzel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bluebird22 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:00 pm

About to head to bed, but I have time for a few replies (:

Monchele: thank you, I only have him all to myself until Feburary 2nd (just found out today), but I am going to make those two week count! I adore tall boots, I love everything about them, but my mom is worried that since I will be building more muscle in my calves (along with everywhere else) I will outgrow by boots quickly, so we are thinking getting a nice pair of paddock boots and chaps, then finding an inexpensive pair of tall bots to use for showing and schooling events. I think I am a member of that group, but I will double check. I am in so many groups I confuse them so easily lol

Chaa: this is my man
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y46 ... r/-3-2.jpg
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y46 ... 6c040b.jpg
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y46 ... 0321-1.jpg

Sassie: sometimes warming the bit helps

June: I'm sorry the lease situation is so hard, that really sucks it hasn't been figured out yet. Ace is the same way, I just prefer useing a bareback pad too. It offered more support to both of us. One is warms up enough. Am going to clean his pad really well, right now is is covered in dirt. I bet he looks amazing in his new halter :)
Bluebird22

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Livid-Silver » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:45 pm

Oooh nice new thread =D

I don't have time to reply to everyone, but I will tomorrow! I've just popped in to tell you how we went at Cockatoo ;)
We ended up leaving a little later then expected but both horses got on the float easy, so we got there on time. Donny was a little unsettled in the morning, but not too bad. I had XC first, so we weren't heading in with the best mind set lol Don was pretty good in the warm-up and much better then I was expecting. He thought about stopping when I put him over the first little log, but I just tapped him with the crop and he popped over it =D Then he went back to his normal XC self, which was awesome! The course was really easy with no super spooky jumps, so that help put my mind at ease. Donny was really good with the start box and we started out really well. There was a picket fence jump with all these flowers in front, and a lot of the horses were stopping at that. Donny had a bit of a look but I just clicked him up and he popped over it, so I was feeling pretty positive at this point. But then we got to the ditch xD Donny cracked it :lol: We cantered up to it and then Donny shoved the brakes on last second and started going through his routine when he's scared of a fence. I tried just walking him up to it and asking him to step over, but he'd just buck or go backwards :roll: The jump judge let me try and follow another rider over but no dice still, so we got eliminated. He gave some pretty awesome bucks though and I'm hoping my friend's dad got them on camera xD The vet was super impressed with how fit he was so that was awesome too! I took him back into the warm-up and popped over the logs again, which he was more then happy too, so we finished on a good note :) Then we had forever to wait until Show Jumping.
But he was a SUPERSTAR <3 He did look at any of the fences, even though some had things underneath. We had a super quick round and he jumped like super star! He didn't pull or wiggle, he just locked on and did his job <3 He actually thought the jumps were too small and just stepped over :lol: If we'd gotten home in XC I think we would have placed >.< Oh well, next comp. But I'm so glad he's back to normal with Show jumping <3 I'll just have to school him over XC a bit more to help with his confidence.
All in all it was a good day <3 If there are any photos from XC, I'll post them when I get the photo disk off my friend's uncle ;)
Livid-Silver

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Circean » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:16 pm

Oh yay! The other one was getting quite messy... hehe!

Yesterday I got to ride this beaut named Bogart! (I like to call him Bogo!) He is a bay quarter horse with a cool blaze! He used to be a dressage horse strange enough! I don't know much about dressage really because I'm an English Jumper, but Quarter horse doesn't really scream out dressage to me!
He is probably middle aged, but I'll take a look at his teeth next week to really see.
I am really hoping that I continue to ride him because I haven't ridden a HORSE in a long time, really. Besides Cooper on make up lessons. I've been stuck on little tiny lesson ponies and I feel like I'm kind of out growing them. I feel like a giant on them really haha! I'm 5'3". I'm not SO huge on taz because hes pretty built and Deedee, a cute little strawberry roan pony, she's is just a little twig! She is great and all, but I feel the need for an upgrade!
Bogo is still learning English styled riding, and you can tell it is very foreign to him! He get's very very confused when it comes to distances before and after jumps. He also isn't very good at taking a long distance before a jump... I experienced that the hard way... I legged him harder when I saw the distance to a jump a little long, and he kinda, attempted to "skip" over it, but thrusting three legs over the polls and leaving his hind leg behind! This jump was 2'6" so I wasn't huge or anything, and he's jumped this big fine before. But he ended up taking out the entire jump! The standards went down and everything! It was kind of embarrassing having to eventually lower my height to just ground polls because he didn't want to jump at all after that... and Gam over here got boosted up to 2'9", but I thought after a while that it is best for Bogo. He needs to take things slow and learn gradually how to jump and find better distances rather than leave his leg behind the jump! He doesn't even know how to "chip the jump" and it;s very bouncy when he tries! But He will get there, I have faith in him! I just hope I get put on him from now on, because I don't want it to be just a "one time thing" and have that lessons mean almost nothing to me and him together. I wanna continue teaching and training him to get better and to be able to see and feel his progress grow! He is such a sweetie!
I have some pictures of us below!

Image dont mind my feet they're just chillin
ImageImageImage

ImageImage

~ƇӇЄЄƦƧ ԼƠƔЄ!~
Circean

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Toppyrocks » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:57 pm

@gunpowder and lead- I have so much sympathy for you... my last lease horse had a tail that touched the ground and then another two feet. The most effective way that I have had of detangling tails is a wide toothed PLASTIC comb like thator even wider-toothed plus Cowboy Magic Detangler it's expensive but so, so worth it. I have never tried anything that works as well as that stuff does. Also if you are really interested in growing a thick, full tail good for shows, you could consider vet-wrapping her tail or braiding and putting it into a tail bag (which I can tell you about if you would like)
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not."
-Dr. Suess

Toppyrocks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby stirrupirons » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:37 am

Hey guys, stopping in because I need opinions quick!

I'm going to be asking for a new show coat for my birthday. I've decided on the coat, but I can't decide on the color! It's cheap enough that I could ask for both, especially since I'm going to be showing a lot in the fall... but I don't know!
    Link to the coat
    I don't like black show coats, so I don't want the black one, lol. My show pad will be white with black piping and my monogram in black. I can't decide between the charcoal and navy!
    I'm leaning towards the charcoal because it'll look nice and won't be so boring, and I love lighter show coats with darker horses (and the bulk of the horses that I ride are dark). Would the charcoal be too untraditional for dressage? It's pretty conservative and isn't even that light, but I just don't know :(
    I'm gonna ask my trainer about it Saturday and get her opinion. And maybe even beg my parents to let me get both for my birthday! :lol: (not gonna happen)

EDIT: Nevermind, I decided on the charcoal! I'll probably buy the navy before IDA starts this fall. The charcoal will match everything a lot better and I'm gonna love the whole white/grey/black look, I have a bonnet to match ;)

@Amy: You guys look great! :) Donny is so adorable! Glad you guys had fun :)

@Blue: Oooo I see, makes sense! I've heard really good things about Tredstep half chaps, I tried on a pair about a year or so ago and they were really comfy :) they look great too, their Victory half chaps look like tall boots. Saxon makes really cheap field boots, too, Chick's has them for $70 right now!

@Sassie: Why won't he let you put your fingers near his mouth? If it's because of previous abuse or something, then work with him and have him associate the bit with positive things. Put a little bit of molasses on the bit or wipe it with bit wipes, and give him a treat before and after you put his bit in. Has he had his teeth done recently? If not, then have an equine dentist look at his teeth. In fact, do that before anything else. Also, make sure your bit is clean and warm before you try putting it in. I soak my bits before and after every ride in warm water. Leftover grain/grass/etc crusts on the bit and they get super nasty. I sure wouldn't want to take one like that, haha. You can also find bit warmers online; I've heard good things about them, wish I had some though! Good luck.

@chachee: Thank you! :) It's such a steal lol, so excited about it! Omg Z sounds so nice, I wish we could see pictures, but I understand about the lady :)
stirrupirons

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Circean » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:51 am

@monchele
Ah! I love them all!! I think you should get the charcoal one though! It's light, like you said you liked, and beautiful! It's my favorite of all three! <3
ImageImageImage

ImageImage

~ƇӇЄЄƦƧ ԼƠƔЄ!~
Circean

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me