Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: So, the pony that I ride...

Postby Snowywaterwings » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:08 pm

ayomi wrote:I have a question :3
So, the pony that I ride sometimes is a brat >.< He doesn't listen to me if I want him to turn when he is trotting. He either stops trotting and walks or immediately speeds up which is dangerous.
Does anyone have any tips on how to control him better?

To the person who wrote this; I ride a horse named ebony and I have some of the problems. She doesn't believe in the direction left. * groan * . for the speeding up and stopping, check that the horse's girth isn't rubing or that he doesn't have an injury. Horses know that stopping either puts less pressure on the injury or stops the girth from rubbing. And of course you don't want your horse to be in pain. Good luck and remember to always be gentle but firm with you horse :)
Snowywaterwings

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby Maven. » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:14 pm

Hello, everyone, I'm Alfred and I'm just starting out in English riding (Jumping to be exact) I have ridden western but only short trail rides I was wondering if any of you have any advice for me. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Alfred Pennyworth

Hello! I'm Maven, I use she/her pronouns!
Don't be afraid to message me or trade with me I don't bite :3
Maven.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby alouetta » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:26 pm

Alfred Pennyworth wrote:
Hello, everyone, I'm Alfred and I'm just starting out in English riding (Jumping to be exact) I have ridden western but only short trail rides I was wondering if any of you have any advice for me. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Alfred Pennyworth

Well, if you're just starting out with English I'd assume you're not starting out right away with jumping. :) Do you have a trainer? If you don't, also don't recommend jumping right away.
Assuming you have a trainer, always take what they say into deep consideration. Trainers LOVE it when you process their instructions to the max, when you follow their instruction right away, and when you really make an effort to fix a flaw. It's what really lets you progress in riding. Take notes at the end of your rides on what you did well and what you need to fix, and what you can do to fix your weak spots.

With that in mind, take it slow. Let the horse teach you until you feel ready to teach yourself, if that makes sense. English riding, particularly jumping, is worlds away from trail riding. Are you doing hunters or showjumping? Or a combination?
alouetta

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Maven. » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:34 pm

Marin wrote:
Alfred Pennyworth wrote:

Sincerely,
Alfred Pennyworth

Well, if you're just starting out with English I'd assume you're not starting out right away with jumping. :) Do you have a trainer? If you don't, also don't recommend jumping right away.
Assuming you have a trainer, always take what they say into deep consideration. Trainers LOVE it when you process their instructions to the max, when you follow their instruction right away, and when you really make an effort to fix a flaw. It's what really lets you progress in riding. Take notes at the end of your rides on what you did well and what you need to fix, and what you can do to fix your weak spots.

With that in mind, take it slow. Let the horse teach you until you feel ready to teach yourself if that makes sense. English riding, particularly jumping, is worlds away from trail riding. Are you doing hunters or showjumping? Or a combination?

Yes, I do indeed have a trainer and I should have said I want to do showjumping in the future along with dressage I take your advice to heart and yes I understand when you say "let the horse teach you until you feel ready to teach yourself," Thank you for the advice.
Maven.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:39 pm

blueroan wrote:
its been a minute but here’s a run down. i got kicked out of my last barn around november bc my ex gf is a monster, i got my horse back from her in april in horrible shape bc she neglected him, and i have to sell him again bc i cannot afford his chiropractic appointments and he’s still not what i need as a horseman or to financially stabilize as an independent adult. wrong timing. anyways i still work as a carhop at a fast food drive-in, it’s been a mess but im pretty good. going out to a racehorse farm for an interview tomorrow. don’t know if they need just a hand or a trainer or someone to breeze their horses but it’s a full time equestrian job regardless so. -shrug- my bf moves here at the latest by next year and i’ll probably be able to work with his filly since she’d be old enough to start over jumps... if he’s not doing full time cutting and reining work on her by then.

why did you let your horse stay there and so long too? i would have run them down with the police and a trailer asap after after, or not leave without the horse at all...

good that it got out, but when she hurt the horse she has to pay all vet and chiro and other thing needed....and even more so when she hurt and neglected an animal out of hate, how much does she do to others horses in her care...maybe just call your solicitors.
good that you have a possible job :)
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vash ♡ » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:23 am

Luzien wrote:
blueroan wrote:
its been a minute but here’s a run down. i got kicked out of my last barn around november bc my ex gf is a monster, i got my horse back from her in april in horrible shape bc she neglected him, and i have to sell him again bc i cannot afford his chiropractic appointments and he’s still not what i need as a horseman or to financially stabilize as an independent adult. wrong timing. anyways i still work as a carhop at a fast food drive-in, it’s been a mess but im pretty good. going out to a racehorse farm for an interview tomorrow. don’t know if they need just a hand or a trainer or someone to breeze their horses but it’s a full time equestrian job regardless so. -shrug- my bf moves here at the latest by next year and i’ll probably be able to work with his filly since she’d be old enough to start over jumps... if he’s not doing full time cutting and reining work on her by then.

why did you let your horse stay there and so long too? i would have run them down with the police and a trailer asap after after, or not leave without the horse at all...

good that it got out, but when she hurt the horse she has to pay all vet and chiro and other thing needed....and even more so when she hurt and neglected an animal out of hate, how much does she do to others horses in her care...maybe just call your solicitors.
good that you have a possible job :)

because he wasn't mine to take at the time. i had given him to her about 2 years prior since they needed a dressage prospect. that turned out cruddy.

ex trainer offered to pay for chiro since i gave him to them sound with no history of injury and he came back a hot mess. she left me on read when i asked.

════════════════════════════════════
she • adult • audhd & chronically ill
struggling equine nutrition student, im barely on here.

════════════════════════════════════
fell in love with a pisces moon,
now i'll follow you wherever you go.
vash ♡

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Huggles » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:14 am

Just got back from visiting my possible new horse! She's absolutely beautiful.. bay peacock, stunning. She's at a rescue barn atm, she was a kill pen rescue at first then she was alternated between 3 different trainers that weren't all that nice to her. Asked them some questions, rode her a bit. She's a little green, but only to the point where she just needs some consistency, which is perfect for me. We of course have a barn picked out and its only 10 miles away from where she's at so again, perfect. Now comes the vet check, which I have no doubt will go perfectly.
She does need some work of course. Needs to lose some chub on her and needs a bit of muscle for her topline and hind which should be a blast with all the hills at the barn. She has yet to learn to neckrein and is a bit stiff, and she needs to gain some stamina for anything above a trot. And I need to buy a hackamore piece because she doesn't respond to a bit and thats fine with me, whatever makes her comfortable.
The lady at the rescue really took a liking to me and loved the way I rode which makes me feel great. I could tell she wanted this horse to go to a good home, and I think she thought I could be that person.
After riding her I had to be a little rude and hide in the barn to cool off before I fainted aa, I'm terrible in the heat :(
So anyways, hoping for nothing but the best for her vet check, then they are going to haul her down for me!
Im quitting and ISO art! Link to refs and cs thread
Huggles

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nicolettexx » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:00 pm

heeeyy so i have a question
    how do you guys cope with not being able to ride?
    i had hip surgery back in april and my doctor doesn’t want me riding until august and it’s killing me. seeing all of my friends getting to ride and me not being able to really sucks :( its one of those things where i feel absolutely fine but i have to keep in mind that my hip isn’t where it used to be

so yeah how do you guys manage not being able to ride ??
nicolettexx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby warmblood » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:58 pm

lady stella wrote:
    i had hip surgery back in april and my doctor doesn’t want me riding until august and it’s killing me. seeing all of my friends getting to ride and me not being able to really sucks :( its one of those things where i feel absolutely fine but i have to keep in mind that my hip isn’t where it used to be

last summer i couldnt ride for 3 months because of a rlly bad concusion and sprained neck (doctors orders), it wasnt that long but it still made me miserable. i think that horse riding is a sport that you have to go into really loving the animal, so you should just spend as much time as you can with the horses. you could always look into liberty, driving, giving lessons, and just round pen work. hope this helps.
CRAZY ,
┌───────────┐

formerly halø & pills
i enjoy roleplaying, &
playing a large variety
of sports. i ♡ music ;)
i also show jump horses!
i love dogs,and currently i
own a red boston terrier,
feel free to give me a pm, or
send me a trade. I speak
several languages.

└───────────┘
❝ MY REALITY IS ❞
JUSTImage
── FROM YOURS . ──
CRE
DIT

────────
bee!
[[ link here ]]
[[ link here ]]
[[ link here ]]
[[ link here ]]

warmblood

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:07 am

I'm going to the barn today for the first time in almost two months after having to quit. I am excited to see my girl and my friends and instructors, but also still heartbroken. Guaranteed there are going to be tears, so I'm nervous.

lady stella wrote:

I had to quit altogether. It'll be a miracle if I get back in the saddle again. So just remind yourself that you will be back soon. Make a count down to August even!

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items