Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby vash ♡ » Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:36 am

Sulin wrote:
Alright so I have posted on here a couple times before talking about cattle roping, now I still want to do that and plan on doing that soon but now I have a different set of questions that I think I want answered lol

1. I want a Friesian horse. I have heard that they can have skin issues, how true is that?
^ 1.5. And if it is fairly true, does it happen often?
2. Stallions! I heard that any breed of intact male horse can be aggressive, is it a good idea to get one if a stallion is what I want?
3. On average how much can I expect to pay for just the animal itself?

I think that's all I have for now, I have a horse friend IRL and have been asking her other questions too so If I need anything else I will come back an add to it.

ETA: the "we" in question is my best friend and i pertaining to the business we run!!

we have experiences w friesians and own/breed friesian sporthorses. we personally dont deal with any skin issues, and it could possibly be due to the outcrossing, but also friesians have notoriety for inbreeding issues and i believe that is a big contributor. hydrocephalus due to inbreeding is another issue. if youre responsible and do research on your lines they are easy with little to no health issues.

if you have no experience with horses, stallions are not a great idea. i do disagree with the comment that they dont make good pets - i grew up in equine repro and if our stallions did not have the mindset that you would expect any mare or gelding would have, they went on the chopping block. unfortunately, people normalize and dismiss studdish behavior too much and think that is the norm, when it shouldnt be. due to this fact, boarding that accepts studs is hard to come by, and fencing/facility setup that is stud appropriate is also hard to come by. regardless, an intact anything with the intention to breed should be left to more experienced horse people. a mare or a gelding would be a more seamless area to start.

friesians are very popular, i know our sporthorse mare that we have right now that has only had a few rides on her can go for at least 8k rn, and that is in the very crappy horse market that our state has currently. she'd probably be close to double if we were in better horse country.

════════════════════════════════════
she • adult • audhd & chronically ill
struggling equine nutrition student, im barely on here.

════════════════════════════════════
fell in love with a pisces moon,
now i'll follow you wherever you go.
vash ♡

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Reach4the_starz » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:31 pm

I loped for the first time on a ride with my friend and whewee did I catch some air 🤣

⭒⟵-♉︎-⟶⭒
Mars
She//They
Trade with me!
⭒⟵-♉︎-⟶⭒
Reach4the_starz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LissaJo » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:19 am

vash ♡ wrote:
Sulin wrote:
Alright so I have posted on here a couple times before talking about cattle roping, now I still want to do that and plan on doing that soon but now I have a different set of questions that I think I want answered lol

1. I want a Friesian horse. I have heard that they can have skin issues, how true is that?
^ 1.5. And if it is fairly true, does it happen often?
2. Stallions! I heard that any breed of intact male horse can be aggressive, is it a good idea to get one if a stallion is what I want?
3. On average how much can I expect to pay for just the animal itself?

I think that's all I have for now, I have a horse friend IRL and have been asking her other questions too so If I need anything else I will come back an add to it.

ETA: the "we" in question is my best friend and i pertaining to the business we run!!

we have experiences w friesians and own/breed friesian sporthorses. we personally dont deal with any skin issues, and it could possibly be due to the outcrossing, but also friesians have notoriety for inbreeding issues and i believe that is a big contributor. hydrocephalus due to inbreeding is another issue. if youre responsible and do research on your lines they are easy with little to no health issues.

if you have no experience with horses, stallions are not a great idea. i do disagree with the comment that they dont make good pets - i grew up in equine repro and if our stallions did not have the mindset that you would expect any mare or gelding would have, they went on the chopping block. unfortunately, people normalize and dismiss studdish behavior too much and think that is the norm, when it shouldnt be. due to this fact, boarding that accepts studs is hard to come by, and fencing/facility setup that is stud appropriate is also hard to come by. regardless, an intact anything with the intention to breed should be left to more experienced horse people. a mare or a gelding would be a more seamless area to start.

friesians are very popular, i know our sporthorse mare that we have right now that has only had a few rides on her can go for at least 8k rn, and that is in the very crappy horse market that our state has currently. she'd probably be close to double if we were in better horse country.

To add on to this, friesians have multiple known health issues that need extra care/precautions (specifically issues with their eyes and heart - the heart one they are still trying to learn more about to prevent death). A purebred, tested stallion can easy cost $50,000 or more. And reputable breeders/owners most likely wouldn't sell a stallion to you unless you prove you could show and stud him to his full potential.

Stallions don't make great pets because the word pet implies a much lower standard than is needed for their care/training. Most stallions will walk all over you and can become extremely dangerous if you aren't skilled and experienced enough to enforce the structure and discipline needed to make them behave like gentleman. Aggressive stallions and seriously injure or unalive you and it only takes once!
LissaJo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:20 am

Reach4the_starz wrote:I loped for the first time on a ride with my friend and whewee did I catch some air 🤣

That is great, hope you had fun :)

LissaJo and most other who did answer them, you are right i think.....but could be wrong...maybe a friesian stallion owner is here ! ^-^

true....i would also not say stallion....not really for new owner or rider!!!they had to be a perfect stallion for this with best care and training and breeding! It often does not work well and can be deadly for human and horses when wrong human. :!: ..and no to roping animal or such western sports with a friesian horse ...i think...!

.....yes they (stallion)can be sweet with friesian horses....but those are very well trained, raised, cared for and keeped in the best way possible..., but i also do think that no good breeder would give one away, to a beginner or new owner, and not knowing stallions........

Stallion and mares they are mainly under rule of the KFPS studbook, netherland studbook, they tell you with what mare to breed, how often ,then there is the showing of this stallions each year, till they can retire, and so on...and not breeding stallion maybe , most often become gelding when not good, as they have to be of good pedigree and health and so on, like atleast star-model or crown stallion and mare to even think about breeding.
(Horses registered at the Friesian Horse Association of North America (FHANA) and Netherlands Friesch Paarden Stamboek(FPS), who have strict standards, often have a higher cost.
Breeders with a good reputation usually provide several health test results, including an X-ray, clinical exam, blood test,dna samples/testing and registration, and governmental inspection results )

Western ...roping....and that...is not a good sport for friesian horses... and not really accepted as it looks in kfps.nl/sports predicate, competitions/projects...
...dressage-harness-cariage is there thing, some can do small jumps and go not to big endurance rides or fun hunts...but i really cant see them to much anywhere else like most western, not breed for this...

Friesians in the U.S. are currently being shown in western pleasure, show driving, dressage driving, ridden dressage, saddle seat and English pleasure, some Trailer rides

Yes they can get sick and get skin or stomach issues., heart and eye and some head..as they can react to stress and misstreatment and so on,...as it is said...they are also prone to digestive disorders and skin conditions such as pastern dermatopathy; and can be hypersensitive to insect bites.Friesians, like most feather-legged horses, can tend to have feather mites and dermatitis...skincare routine is needed and the right diet.

Maybe look around a bit more...
like friesianhorsesociety. c o m

-> stallion:
- need routine...like same handler, equipment, time,...
- teach to walk same pace as handler, stop,stand calmly, not circling or draging...
-punish bad beahvior with a timeout in the stall to calm down, and reward with more turnout time or nice trail walk or ride or hand grazing
- keep them with/near gelding or other nice stallion (yes also in turnout)
- the more and longer turnout the better
- big stall and possible with an all time going out when ever they want paddock infront of it
- they can have safe social contact if handlers plan for it properly. If they live in groups, under the auspices of very well-trained behavior experts, they need large pastures with plenty of space to get away from other stallions
-good stallion handler remain calm and do not punish normal things like "dropping" or such....are not timid or frustrated with there horse, no anxiety or fear...evaluate your own ability to handle and care for stallion

(Atleast that what i did write here ,that is what i found in the internet, and did hear of owner and did read, and did copy here )
[/size]
...@Sulin:
----> Maybe look into Quarter horses...or paint horses...good at roping...they are breed for this sport, western :)
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sulin » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:45 am

^ Hey mate thanks for all the tips and information. I didn't plan on getting the friesian for western stuff actually, that was a previous plan I had that I mentioned lol
(Click my pretty girl, Kashe <3 (above) for my CS safe TH) - Art done by Herrings!
------------------------------------------------------
XXX - Rae / Suli / Spooks | She / Her - XXX
Hi there, I'm Suli / Logan! I have a couple different issues
I'm dealing with currently, so please be patient with me, thank you.
I am a huge fan of MARVEL, TWD, the Witcher, and Good Omens!
I also love GoT, Blacklist, and Supernatural.
- Friends / Acquaintances -
Crow - Jay - Zach - Hyde - Marz-Barz - Temper
- Super Cool People -
Herrings - Rocky - Sweathie - Buzz - Cr0wz
- I Love you all! -
------------------------------------------------------
Sulin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby darwins » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:44 am

yall ive had my spicy little 5 y/o grade paint mare for almost 6 months now.
      im deeply considering adopting a 2-3 y/o mustang gelding out of my local holding facility. i wouldnt be gentling it myself right now though, i would send him to a trainer ive been speaking with to put 90 days of groundwork training on him and then ill continue him undersaddle...
      i adore him already, just giving myself some time to really think about if this is the best decision to make right now haha.
      i would like to do a lot of backcountry trail riding or packing this summer so im wondering if this is a decision that might hinder that. i would love to pony him over the summer in the mountains while continuing his undersaddle to education to prepare him mentally and physically for riding.

anyone here own a mustang?
darwins

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby coppercanary » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:07 am

hello all! this might get a bit long, so if you don’t want to read it all, the gist of my point is this: how do you get back on after a serious fall?

for some more context, i used to ride a lot up until six or seven years ago, when life got in the way and i had to stop. i was a perfectly good rider and did some low-level competitions occasionally, though not often. i still very much enjoyed riding but due to a mix of things i didn’t have the time or motivation to attend regular lessons or schooling sessions.

jump forward to may 2022 and i’m in the school with my mum and her horse at the time, tilly. mum asks if i want to have a ride and i agree since it’s been ages since i’d last ridden and i remembered how much i had enjoyed myself back in the day. i get on, tilly is being lovely, and i decide to take her into a canter - mum had warned me that she sometimes bucked when cantering but she had been golden so far so i wasn’t worried. unfortunately for me, tilly was quite the example of a moody mare, and ended up throwing me into a fence. i was severely concussed and sustained some major bruising and facial injury requiring stitches, though it has healed very well. all things considered i was rather lucky, as it could very easily have been much worse.

since then, tilly has passed away and my mum has a new horse named nancy. nancy is an angel and i love her dearly, but i can’t bring myself to ride her. i hadn’t thought my mental scarring from the event had been that severe but whenever i so much as think of riding nancy i feel the nerves building. part of it may be that nancy’s rather young (i believe she’s around 5? tilly was about 10 and previous horses i have ridden had been in their mid-late 20s) and i’m worried she’ll spook at something an older horse would be used to, but i know it’s the fear of my previous fall that’s holding me back.

does anyone have any advice?
(tilly and nancy, for anyone interested!)

// canary // they/them // zoology student //

hey! the name’s canary, i like to draw
things i enjoy are cats (esp genetics),
reading, dragons, and birds
// artfight // toyhouse // click the babas //

coppercanary

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:57 am

Bit late, but only now did see...Sorry my longer post was not send and no energy to write it out again fully...

Yes your mom should not have let you ride this horse, with her sometimes bucking ,...you made mistake of not listening to what she did say...and cantering on a horse you dont know well after long time no riding, who is known to buck then...
Sorry you where hurt so much, never good or fun...
..But maybe you learned something from this...falls from horses always are a good lesson to get better and change things...Sure always nice when nothing happens...but hope you can start new, and maybe can ride again :) good luck.

But to make it short... did you ever look into therapy and also horse riding therapy...
Therapeutic horseback riding..

Or what i once asked but nobody did answer...
Eventing -dressage- normal horse riding horse riding simulator, are great from what i did hear and read for rider training,
...and as it is no real horse, it will not rear, buck or try to kill you , you cant hurt it or push it to much, ask wrong things....you learn your riding mistakes...

...you can learn on it, better seat and all that, learn to trust something horse like again, till you know how to ride all gaits again... then go for a horse therapy stable or good beginner barn , they handwalk you, keep you on the lung line, on a nice gentle calm horse till you can ride well enough and feel safe to walk alone in lessons....after a bad fall or long time of a horse it can be good way to start in controller safe place :)

And to Nancy, maybe find a good gentle trainer who can train her well , when she is even for an unsure rider..
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me