Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby Luzien » Sat May 19, 2018 6:28 pm

@ Muffin_Wolf
i so feel you....we once had this, when we did help clean and wash and groom a white stallion, and the stupid silly thing...did roll in the only darn mud puddle on the whole pasture at the furthest corner of it...., shortly bevor people are to come, to see him for possible breeding with there mares (5-10mins are not enough time to clean a yellow brown green horse again to White...), in the old barn where we did stay once...part dirt in tail mane neck behind belly one shoulder 2 legs, some grass here and there...one could only cry....horses really like to make one very very sad and angry and partly laugh while you cry real hard....after i think 3h of useless work when i remembr right ... :roll:
hope you got your horse clean again...i tell you a blanket helps sooooo much after a bath and if need too, use one with belly and neck and tail cover to make it more safe that the horse stays clean till fully dry... :D
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby northy. » Tue May 22, 2018 8:15 am

so... i started loaning a pony! only two days a week. she is a 12 year old 14hh connemara x cob.
shes a bit moody, but is a great ride. i hope to do lots with her in the summer!

another thing i wanted to say here was mention a youtube channel i love called Fair Horsemanship. If you're open to the more R+ side of horsemanship, then its definitely the channel for you, her animated series is amazing! Just wanted to let you know since she isn't very well known, but she has a book that is defiantly on my wish list. obviously, this isn't an attack on those who don't agree with those ideas, more just something i love and fine super interesting.
northy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby intothejungle » Tue May 22, 2018 12:52 pm

Hi everyone! I'm new to this thread, so I thought to introduce myself! I do jumpers on an awesome grey horse who I love dearly named Odyssey. He isn't mine, and I hope to get around to leasing him over the summer c: My trainer is currently picking out possibilities and I am so excited! I've been working with her for almost all of my riding career, so I'm excited to see who/what she finds! It's cool to be here!
intothejungle

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wren, » Tue May 22, 2018 2:15 pm

I had a pretty good ride today! I rode Hully, a 16.2 bay OTTB who is my favorite in our IHSA program. Sadly he might be leaving because the English team isn't a fan of the coach (including me), but hopefully if she leaves we'll get a more qualified group of horses and coach.
Wren,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Wed May 23, 2018 2:47 am

I miss riding so much. My plans to fix my chronic pain have gone down the drain and it's not looking like I'll be riding again any time soon, or if ever. I don't know what to do.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Huggles » Fri May 25, 2018 6:17 am

ayomi wrote:I have a question :3
So, the pony that I ride sometimes is a brat >.< He doesn't listen to me if I want him to turn when he is trotting. He either stops trotting and walks or immediately speeds up which is dangerous.
Does anyone have any tips on how to control him better?

Flexing!! Make him super soft to the bit. Start on the ground or from his back. I prefer to start on a horses back to flex. Grab as close to the bit as you can and let the other side fall, bump the rein over. He will likely try to move in circles, just sit back and let him do that til he stops. Then do the other side. It might take a while, but the goal is to be able to pull his head over to your foot will almost no pressure. That will make him super soft to the bit and contact, and he will listen better to rein cues.
And getting him to move, use a crop, growl or yell at him, but DONT try to kick him harder. They can feel flies on their side, they should be able to feel leg cues. When you begin to kick a horse harder, they end up waiting for that hard kick to move and end up becoming numb to that cue. Give him a leg or verbal cue, if he doesnt listen, smack him lightly on his shoulder or bum. Edit:// If you dont want to smack him or if it doesnt work, smack your boot or the saddle and make a loud noise, that works on some horses better than tapping them with a crop!
And when turning, use leg, lots of leg. Start the circle with a bit of outside leg by the girth to move his front, then as he turns, move your inside leg further back to bend him around that circle, and finish off with more outside leg. Make sure hes solid on leg cues which you can talk to the owner of the pony to work on that if you are taking lessons.
Groundwork is helpful! Lunging, leading, disengaging, all that fun stuff.
I had to deal with the same kind of horse. I leased a four year old for a while and helped my trainer fine tune her. Best of luck to you!
Im quitting and ISO art! Link to refs and cs thread
Huggles

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Haze-L-Kitten » Sun May 27, 2018 9:51 am

Greetings fellow equestrians. I am a riding instructor and horse trainer under both English and Western disciplines. I have 12+ years experience as an equestrian. However, my certification is on hold since I'm currently in my first pregnancy! <3 I am more than happy to answer any questions pertaining to horses and ponies with bad habits to on the bit work and everything else in between. I am also very familiar with your high spirited horses known as OTTB's for I personally have a mare of my very own named Princess Spanky who's had her fair share of lessons she's taught me. Feel free to PM with any questions!

Discipline Highlights:
          ___[•]Enlgish:
          -English Pleasure
          -Hunt Seat
          -Beginner Level Dressage

___[•]Western:
          -Western Pleasure
          -Barrel Racing
          -Trail Horse

Haze-L-Kitten

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Maplefire309 » Mon May 28, 2018 6:09 am

ayomi wrote:I have a question :3
So, the pony that I ride sometimes is a brat >.< He doesn't listen to me if I want him to turn when he is trotting. He either stops trotting and walks or immediately speeds up which is dangerous.
Does anyone have any tips on how to control him better?

One of the horses at the barn can sometimes be a brat too, he likes to buck sometimes and does similar things regarding speed, but he's a great horse to ride otherwise. Sometimes if he won't behave at all we lunge him. However, lunging can be dangerous without experience. One of the horses my friend and I were lunging jumped the fence and took off.

To lunge, you'll need either a crop or a lunge whip. I recommend using a crop unless the horse is super stubborn. PLEASE DO NOT PICK A GIANT WHIP, AND NEVER HIT THE HORSE. Some horses are scared of a lunge whip if they have been abused, so you should ask the manager/owner first. A round paddock is best, and you stand in the middle.

You keep the horse going around the paddock in circles with the crop. To start, slap the crop on the ground enough to get the horse going. Then have the crop behind him, but point it to the ground. Follow the horse around, but stay in 1 spot in the middle. You want the horse to go at a trot or sometimes a slow canter. If the horse slows down or stops, hit the ground or yell (not too loud) at the horse, or make a clicking noise. Finally, to stop, wait at one spot and point the crop out. As the horse comes around, he should stop. DON'T APPROACH THE HORSE WHILE IT'S RUNNING. This is sometimes how they'll get scared and jump. When a horse is tired of running it may also jump. Make sure that you're not working it too hard. The first time you lunge, make sure to do it with someone experienced.

I've been in your shoes, so good luck!
Maplefire309

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby minimire » Tue May 29, 2018 2:01 pm

hello everyone! So i don't actually own horses but i do take riding lessons. And i have a question, how do you be more involved in horses and learn more ahout them? Not just about riding but about barn management, tsck, the different styles of riding erc?

minimire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby xNeverLostMyPride » Tue May 29, 2018 5:24 pm

Hi!
I am a horserider, don't own one, but take lessons :) So I think I will come and talk here sometimes :)
I love the Fjords and luckily I can ride them often. It's my favorite breed. I like them because they have their own way of doing things, like we have one that reverses things like garbage cans. My second favorite is the Haflinger, because of the same reasons.

What is your favorite breed?
xNeverLostMyPride

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me