Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby sunny*days*ahead » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:18 am

If riding without stirrups doesn't help, it might be your heels not staying down that's making your leg swing a bit?
My coach had us all keep a little plastic hoop on our toes while riding, because we (including myself!) used to have a hard time with loosing our stirrups at the canter transition too!
It helped a lot, because when you flex the leg muscles to keep your heels way down/toes pointed up, it stabilizes your leg quite a bit! I always thought I was good about keeping my heels down until I realized how many times I dropped my hoops :lol: since doing that a good number of times, it's gotten way better and I don't lose my stirrups anymore! (on accident anyway lol)
_
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."- Proverbs 16:24

sunny*days*ahead

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Deku_is_best_boi » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:41 pm

OK-

SO I JUST GOT A NEW HORSE TODAY!

She is a 5 year old paint mare, her previous names were pandora then nelly, but i love dakota for her name. (Currently dont have pics, will post some here when i have my phone) she has a bald face, one blue eye, one brown with some blue in it. She is a rescue and quite skittish but such a sweet bby. She loads into the trailer pretty well, and she rides pretty well. She is buddy sour but it happens and hopefully she will get along with my other two horses.

I was told she was a quick learner (and she is). I am only a minor so if anyone has tips for training a horse that would be highly appreciated. She just needs ground manners and i cnt really work her until her feet get done and i cant ride her till her teeth get done. I cant take her to shows until she gets coggins done too.

I am most likely gonna do barrels with her and liberty work since she is young so she will be easier to teach. Any tricks i could teach her possibly?
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
𝔹𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕖𝕣𝕤𝕠𝕟 𝕌𝕟𝕔𝕝𝕖
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
𝕀𝕣𝕠𝕙 𝕜𝕟𝕠𝕨𝕤 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕔a𝕟 𝕓𝕖
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
━━━━━ ❝𝕋𝕙𝕣𝕠𝕦𝕘𝕙𝕠𝕦𝕥 𝕖𝕒𝕧𝕖𝕟 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝔼𝕒𝕣𝕥𝕙, 𝕀 𝕒𝕝𝕠𝕟𝕖 𝕒𝕞 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕙𝕠𝕟𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕕 𝕠𝕟𝕖.❞ - 𝔾𝕠𝕛𝕠 𝕊𝕒𝕥𝕠𝕣𝕦 ━━━━━
╔═══════════╗

☁︎~~~~~~☺︎~~~~~~☁︎
𝐻𝑒𝑙𝑙𝑜 <3
𝑐𝑎𝑙𝑙 𝑚𝑒 𝐷𝑒𝑘𝑢, 𝑜𝑟 𝑎𝑛𝑦𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑦𝑜𝑢'𝑑 𝑙𝑖𝑘𝑒
𝐴𝑛𝑦 𝑝𝑟𝑜𝑛𝑜𝑢𝑛𝑠 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑜𝑘 𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑆ℎ𝑒/𝑇ℎ𝑒𝑦 𝑖𝑠 𝑝𝑟𝑒𝑓𝑒𝑟𝑟𝑒𝑑!
𝐼𝑚 𝑎 𝑏𝑎𝑟𝑟𝑒𝑙 𝑟𝑎𝑐𝑒𝑟, 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝐼𝑚 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑟𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡𝑜 𝑚𝑎𝑘𝑒 𝑎 𝑛𝑎𝑚𝑒 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑚𝑦𝑠𝑒𝑙𝑓!
𝑆ℎ𝑒𝑧𝑎 𝑤𝑜𝑚𝑎𝑛 𝑜𝑓 𝑓𝑎𝑚𝑒 (𝑎𝑘𝑎 𝑓𝑎𝑛𝑐𝑦) 𝑖𝑠 𝑚𝑦 𝑚𝑎𝑖𝑛 𝑏𝑎𝑟𝑟𝑒𝑙 ℎ𝑜𝑟𝑠𝑒
𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑖 𝑜𝑤𝑛 𝑡𝑤𝑜 𝑜𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑠: 𝐴𝑚𝑖𝑔𝑜 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑃𝑎𝑛𝑑𝑜𝑟𝑎
𝐼 𝑐𝑜𝑚𝑝𝑒𝑡𝑒 𝑖𝑛 𝑎 𝑓𝑢𝑛𝑑𝑟𝑎𝑖𝑠𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑏𝑎𝑟𝑟𝑒𝑙 𝑟𝑎𝑐𝑒 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑆𝑡. 𝐽𝑢𝑑𝑒 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟𝑦 𝑦𝑒𝑎𝑟,
𝑎𝑙𝑙 𝑝𝑟𝑜𝑐𝑒𝑒𝑑𝑠 𝑔𝑜 𝑡𝑜 𝑆𝑡. 𝐽𝑢𝑑𝑒!
𝐼𝑚 𝑎𝑙𝑠𝑜 𝑖𝑛𝑡𝑜 𝑃ℎ𝑜𝑡𝑜𝑔𝑟𝑎𝑝ℎ𝑦, 𝑀𝑜𝑡𝑜𝑟𝑐𝑦𝑐𝑙𝑒𝑠, 𝐴𝑛𝑖𝑚𝑒, 𝑒𝑡𝑐.
𝐷𝑚 𝐼 𝑑𝑜𝑛'𝑡 𝑏𝑖𝑡𝑒!!
𝑆𝑖𝑔 𝑖𝑠 𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑎 𝑊𝐼𝑃
☁︎~~~~~~☹︎~~~~~~☁︎
✨😌' D
😌✨
━━━━━━━━━━━━
🎨 | ☺︎ | 🛢
⚓︎ | link | link
link | link | link
link | link | link

╚═══════════╝
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
Deku_is_best_boi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sunny*days*ahead » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:35 am

^Congratulations!! She sounds beautiful!! <33
Something easy and handy to do would be to teach her to lower her head when you ask. If she needs her teeth worked on, she's likely a bit weary of people's hands near her mouth, but regardless, having her lower her head when you ask will be SO handy in the long run for things like bridling, haltering, de-worming, and etc. (: if you need some tips how to do that you can ask here or look up youtube videos. It's just some pressure and release with good timing, and since she's young (and smart!) she'll pick it up fast! Starting with pressure and release on small things makes it an easy transition into bigger things like pressure of the leg means move off of it, pressure on the rein means give to the bit, etc! (:
Good luck with your newbie and post pics when you have a chance! <3
_
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."- Proverbs 16:24

sunny*days*ahead

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Deku_is_best_boi » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:00 am

sunny*days*ahead wrote:^Congratulations!! She sounds beautiful!! <33
Something easy and handy to do would be to teach her to lower her head when you ask. If she needs her teeth worked on, she's likely a bit weary of people's hands near her mouth, but regardless, having her lower her head when you ask will be SO handy in the long run for things like bridling, haltering, de-worming, and etc. (: if you need some tips how to do that you can ask here or look up youtube videos. It's just some pressure and release with good timing, and since she's young (and smart!) she'll pick it up fast! Starting with pressure and release on small things makes it an easy transition into bigger things like pressure of the leg means move off of it, pressure on the rein means give to the bit, etc! (:
Good luck with your newbie and post pics when you have a chance! <3

Thank you for the advice! I think teaching her that would help so much! She does have a tiedown so hopefully this will help so i dont have to use it! And she actually isnt to bad with people touching her mouth.

One thing tho is that she doesnt stand still for tack but it is something that will be worked on, she is just skittish about it.

And im going to get full body pictures of her today. Or at least try too.

I cant remember if i mention she has sunburn on her face. What sunscreen would you suggest i use for her? (We are planning to get a fly mask that covers her nose)
Here she is!

20190807_081243-1.jpg
20190807_081243-1.jpg (358.05 KiB) Viewed 144 times

20190807_161137-1-1-1.jpg
20190807_161137-1-1-1.jpg (194.12 KiB) Viewed 144 times

20190807_161112-1-1-1-1-1.jpg
20190807_161112-1-1-1-1-1.jpg (483.11 KiB) Viewed 144 times
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
𝔹𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕖𝕣𝕤𝕠𝕟 𝕌𝕟𝕔𝕝𝕖
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
𝕀𝕣𝕠𝕙 𝕜𝕟𝕠𝕨𝕤 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕔a𝕟 𝕓𝕖
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
━━━━━ ❝𝕋𝕙𝕣𝕠𝕦𝕘𝕙𝕠𝕦𝕥 𝕖𝕒𝕧𝕖𝕟 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝔼𝕒𝕣𝕥𝕙, 𝕀 𝕒𝕝𝕠𝕟𝕖 𝕒𝕞 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕙𝕠𝕟𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕕 𝕠𝕟𝕖.❞ - 𝔾𝕠𝕛𝕠 𝕊𝕒𝕥𝕠𝕣𝕦 ━━━━━
╔═══════════╗

☁︎~~~~~~☺︎~~~~~~☁︎
𝐻𝑒𝑙𝑙𝑜 <3
𝑐𝑎𝑙𝑙 𝑚𝑒 𝐷𝑒𝑘𝑢, 𝑜𝑟 𝑎𝑛𝑦𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑦𝑜𝑢'𝑑 𝑙𝑖𝑘𝑒
𝐴𝑛𝑦 𝑝𝑟𝑜𝑛𝑜𝑢𝑛𝑠 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑜𝑘 𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑆ℎ𝑒/𝑇ℎ𝑒𝑦 𝑖𝑠 𝑝𝑟𝑒𝑓𝑒𝑟𝑟𝑒𝑑!
𝐼𝑚 𝑎 𝑏𝑎𝑟𝑟𝑒𝑙 𝑟𝑎𝑐𝑒𝑟, 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝐼𝑚 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑟𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡𝑜 𝑚𝑎𝑘𝑒 𝑎 𝑛𝑎𝑚𝑒 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑚𝑦𝑠𝑒𝑙𝑓!
𝑆ℎ𝑒𝑧𝑎 𝑤𝑜𝑚𝑎𝑛 𝑜𝑓 𝑓𝑎𝑚𝑒 (𝑎𝑘𝑎 𝑓𝑎𝑛𝑐𝑦) 𝑖𝑠 𝑚𝑦 𝑚𝑎𝑖𝑛 𝑏𝑎𝑟𝑟𝑒𝑙 ℎ𝑜𝑟𝑠𝑒
𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑖 𝑜𝑤𝑛 𝑡𝑤𝑜 𝑜𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑠: 𝐴𝑚𝑖𝑔𝑜 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑃𝑎𝑛𝑑𝑜𝑟𝑎
𝐼 𝑐𝑜𝑚𝑝𝑒𝑡𝑒 𝑖𝑛 𝑎 𝑓𝑢𝑛𝑑𝑟𝑎𝑖𝑠𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑏𝑎𝑟𝑟𝑒𝑙 𝑟𝑎𝑐𝑒 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑆𝑡. 𝐽𝑢𝑑𝑒 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟𝑦 𝑦𝑒𝑎𝑟,
𝑎𝑙𝑙 𝑝𝑟𝑜𝑐𝑒𝑒𝑑𝑠 𝑔𝑜 𝑡𝑜 𝑆𝑡. 𝐽𝑢𝑑𝑒!
𝐼𝑚 𝑎𝑙𝑠𝑜 𝑖𝑛𝑡𝑜 𝑃ℎ𝑜𝑡𝑜𝑔𝑟𝑎𝑝ℎ𝑦, 𝑀𝑜𝑡𝑜𝑟𝑐𝑦𝑐𝑙𝑒𝑠, 𝐴𝑛𝑖𝑚𝑒, 𝑒𝑡𝑐.
𝐷𝑚 𝐼 𝑑𝑜𝑛'𝑡 𝑏𝑖𝑡𝑒!!
𝑆𝑖𝑔 𝑖𝑠 𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑎 𝑊𝐼𝑃
☁︎~~~~~~☹︎~~~~~~☁︎
✨😌' D
😌✨
━━━━━━━━━━━━
🎨 | ☺︎ | 🛢
⚓︎ | link | link
link | link | link
link | link | link

╚═══════════╝
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
Deku_is_best_boi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sunny*days*ahead » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:13 am

She's beautiful! <3 <3
And that's good that she's not shy about her mouth!
I agree, the skittishness will likely disappear once you are working with her regularly. When I first got my gelding, he was the same way about being tacked up, and I thought I was doing him a favor by going eeeextra sloooow tacking him up, but one day I just tried doing it at a normal speed like I do with my other horses, and it really helped! I had to remind myself that horses can sense anxiety and work themselves up over it, so it was better for him and he felt more at ease when I quit "walking on eggshells" ;P (not that you have/will have this problem, just thought I'd share!)

^Oh, that gelding I have is a Paint with a lot of white on his face as well (it dodged his eyes tho lol) but I just use the cheapest sunscreen lotion available at Walmart. ^^' But other people might use other brands/types! *shrug*
_

sunny*days*ahead

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby toskurra » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:41 am

Hey all! <3

It's so cool to see how many people there are on here who also ride/work with horses!

I've been riding for about four years now, and recently moved up to showing First level. My mare and I have been schooling 2nd-3rd level, but I have never had a ton of time (or money :?) to show that often. A bit more nervous for this show coming up since it feels more serious compared to past ones which have just been at training level. Funny thing is, it isn't even the new elements such as the leg yield and lengthenings that I'm worried about(we've been schooling those forever). It's more that my horse can get very strong in the canter and really push her shoulders against my inside leg. She's an ISH, so a draft x, so she has very large and strong shoulders. Fortunately, my trainer is super and making you feel confident and giving good exercises in the warm up. My horse is also a star at shows- in fact, more often than not she's more focused off property than at home :)

If anyone wants to chat dressage, I'm always up for it :D love it more than anything else honestly x
toskurra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby amarok. » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:51 am

I've always wanted to, but it's extremely expensive and i've never had the money for it. if anybody's got tips on finding volunteer positions or something i'd love to hear them c:

─────────────────────────────────────────────────
back after a long/involuntary hiatus! bear with me while i get my bearings again.
my pronouns are she/they.

i left a lot of stuff here unfinished and can't remember most of what i was up to.
please feel free to shoot me a dm over on discord at amar#8393. my inbox here
is still swamped and i'm a little too intimidated to go wading through it

─────────────────────────────────────────────────

amarok.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby acronymm » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:53 am

So I rescued a 4 year old from a kill pen about 3 months ago! I love her so much and couldn't imagine my life without her ❤️ I named her Aspen, her previous names being Merry (kill pen name) and Angel (named by the rescue). She's gotten so muscular and shiny, she's a red dun with a dorsal of course. We believe she's a Quarter Horse/Arabian/Thoroughbred (I would post pictures but I don't know how to! c":). My other horse is a dun Kiger Mustang named Chai, he's a 9 year old gelding who acts like a stallion.

Anyways! I'm working on Aspen's cantering. She gets very excited, I don't use my legs on her much since we believe she was severely neglected before being sent to the kill pen. She has a scar from a wire, maybe from the last owners trying to pick her feet up or just being cruel. She's come so far! When we first got her, she'd flinch away. She has a sarcoid scar on her shoulder too (possibly her last owners didn't treat it and it got infected). She's very well trained though, and often gets in mischief. She loves picking up sawdust bags and throwing them around. She's also very gentle and sweet, we actually used her for pony camp last week! She's jumpy, as young horses are, and easily gets hives (where we have to inject her with a steroid). She doesn't like the mounting block, so we've been mounting her from the ground too. I plan to do Cross Country with her too, if we can get over the fact she loves to hop around after jumping and cantering! ❤️ Anyways, just wanted to share some history and what I'm doing with my filly! ^^

I was wondering if anyone has tips for introducing leg (ie squeezing)? I'm told I'm babying her, but I want to earn her trust. She does have an attitude though lol!
Last edited by acronymm on Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

about wrote:
hey there!
acro/lyn ▴ she/they
feel free to send me a message, im friendly!
████████████
████████████
━━━━━ 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████

status wrote:
on
and off
doing oekaki things
xxxx♡ ♡

━━━━━━━━━━━━ 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐬 𝐚
acronymm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby acronymm » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:12 am

Last edited by acronymm on Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

about wrote:
hey there!
acro/lyn ▴ she/they
feel free to send me a message, im friendly!
████████████
████████████
━━━━━ 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████

status wrote:
on
and off
doing oekaki things
xxxx♡ ♡

━━━━━━━━━━━━ 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐬 𝐚
acronymm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby paleosuchus » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:48 am

amarok. wrote:I've always wanted to, but it's extremely expensive and i've never had the money for it. if anybody's got tips on finding volunteer positions or something i'd love to hear them c:

I work at a barn as a manager and the best advice is to look for places in your area and just ask if they will take volunteers. Most of them will say yes. You can even be upfront and ask if you can get riding lessons in exchange for volunteering.
Selene . they/them
aries . adult
Hoarding the Halloween’22 gummy snakes!
Stay foolish to Stay sane

Pet's name: Gumsworth, Lord of the Gumlings
credit . link . hoard
paleosuchus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes