Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby Hime » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:18 pm

kalcifer wrote:
June Bug wrote:So I had a breed test done for my horse and It came back as Morgan and Akhal-Teke/Turkoman. My friends are all like "Wow, Teke! That's so cool!" and meanwhile I'm just super happy about the Morgan, lmao. Tekes aren't my style, so while it certainly explains a lot about him, they weren't really on my radar. Morgans are one of my favorite breeds though, especially the old style working type. <3

Anyone else done a breed test? Where you surprised? Disappointed? Happy?

reviving this thread because this question is interesting !!

I've never done a breed test on my boy but after not knowing his breed for 5 years I managed to finally get in touch with the owners who bought him from the breeder.

I always assumed he was mixed breed. he is 14.2hh, mostly white bay skewbald, very skinny fine legs and nice slightly dished face with large but fluffy ears. despite his slim legs his belly is a barrel. he gets very fluffy in winter with long fetlock hairs year round.

I've jumped him up to 1.20m and he is incredibly balanced around tight corners so jump offs with him were a breeze.
This lead to me believe that he was probably a mix between perhaps quarter horse (which would explain the balance and low center of gravity), arab (to explain his finer features) and perhaps some kind of more "native" pony breeds to generate that thick coat.

Turns out I was very wrong as apparently he is a purebred english riding pony...

I am not sure if I trust this "purebred" label as it doesn't really add up. for one I'm pretttyyyyy sure english riding ponies can not be coloured. secondly where did his overall body shape and fluff come from? and on top of that (although I recognise training is a huge factor in this) he doesn't exactly have that show pony attitude, more of a jerk that just wants to have fun attitude.

The only things this breeding explains is the arab-esque features he has, as arabs had a huge role in the breeding of the english riding pony and also the fact that he has more go than woah and thoroughbred bloodlines also influenced the english riding pony.

Anyways hopefully my rant made sense, does this breed determination seem dodgy to anyone else or am I overthinking it?
I don't deny that he could be part or even mostly english riding pony but the purebreed part just doesn't fit right with his description.
Give me your thoughts !!

From purely scientific view point breed tests can only be as accurate as the reference data they have to compare the samples to (and how accurate the markers they've chosen to use actually are). Currently I think in general they aren't very accurate from what I've heard (mostly about dogs, but very doubtful horse tests are anymore accurate than those) and results should always be considered with grain of salt. Like they might get something right but likely will get something wrong, and if something makes absolutely no sense it probably is not right (like if I would test a breedles horse that is from my country and the results showed quarter horse I would very much doubt the results). And also people who have tested their known pure bred animals get results with multiple breeds just shows that the data and methods used haven't quite up to par just yet. There's also the fact that some breeds are mix of other breeds (some more recent, others way back) so I would assume it's more difficult to find accurate unique markers for some breeds and there might be some overlap in genetic markers.
As for the pony case. The finer features cold be also be from welsh pony, which I think would highly likely be found in English riding pony lines. Generally though from what I've seen of *insert country here* riding horses/ponies is that they can be mixes of almost anything, so saying a horse/pony is *insert country here* riding horse/pony doesn't always tell a whole lot. Like most are mixes of various warmbloods and lighter pony breeds, but there can be quite lot of mixing in the ancestry (or even recent years dependign on the studbook) so what these horses/ponies actually end up looking like varies (like we have this tiny barely bigger than a large shetland German riding pony at the stable and then there are German riding ponies that are almost small horses in terms of height, yet on paper they are same breed). There are pinto colored warmbloods so getting a pinto colored riding pony would not be that far fetched actually or maybe there was a irish cob far in the line that gave the color and not much else of it's influence remains. Unfortunately if the horse has no papers or way of verifying it's identity through some registry, the breed or mix is really a big guessing game. If you were a breed DNA test a pony that is said to be English riding pony, which is I consider essentially a mixed breed. The test results might show mixed breed, generic warmblood/riding pony, English (or some other country's) riding pony or what ever breeds have gone into making that English riding pony depending on what methods and reference data that lab running the test has. And truly the pony could be very well be 100% English riding pony. ^^;
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kalcifer » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:17 pm

thank you so much
kalcifer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PaintedStar » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:19 pm

I take horseback riding lessons. I ride a 5 year old chesnut mare, Drifty. I am learning how to jump. Does anyone else jump?
I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior, and I am not afraid to admit it. If you are a Christian, please copy and paste this into your signature.
PaintedStar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby HorseLover! » Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:21 am

Hiiii!!!

I used to post here but I took a large break from this site but feel like I’m back!!

Thought I’d introduce my pony, a 14hh cob gelding called jasper! He’s the best boy ❤️❤️
We are tying to be successful at dressage, working slowly and steadily but the current issue we have his head set, he’s lifting through his back, pushing from his hind end but his contact is very inconsistent, sometimes too high, sometimes too low, but always has pokey nose. We have had saddle checked (absolutely fine) farrier is every 6 weeks and no problems, vet physio is one of my very good friends so he gets done quite often! Teeth done and fine, there’s no pain there at all! We are considering changing bits, he was in a NS loose ring with lozenge, we have moved to a full cheek with lozenge

Just wondering if anyone had any good links to schooling exercises to try and help him understand!

Many thanks!!
HorseLover!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AlphaLex » Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:23 am

i used to go to horse riding lessons got up to canter and never returned as the place shut down. i wish i could go again, it was pretty fun and esspecially enjoyable when i went on the beach to ride for my birthday before.
𝓐𝓵𝓹𝓱𝓪𝓛𝓮𝔁 - 𝓢𝓱𝓮/𝓗𝓮𝓻 - 𝓛𝓲𝓫𝓻𝓪
❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀❀ ❀ ❀ ❀ ❀
𝓗𝓲 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮! 𝓲 𝓪𝓶 𝓷𝓮𝔀 𝓽𝓸 𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓼 𝓼𝓲𝓽𝓮, 𝓶𝔂 𝓫𝓲𝓻𝓽𝓱𝓭𝓪𝔂 𝓲𝓼 𝓼𝓮𝓹𝓽.30𝓽𝓱,
𝓲 𝓪𝓶 𝓸𝓹𝓮𝓷 𝓽𝓸 𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓽𝓼 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓶𝓪𝓴𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓷𝓮𝔀 𝓯𝓻𝓲𝓮𝓷𝓭𝓼 𝓪𝓵𝓸𝓷𝓰 𝓶𝔂 𝓳𝓸𝓾𝓻𝓷𝓮𝔂 𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮.
𝓘𝓯 𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓻𝓮 𝓵𝓮𝓪𝓿𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓯𝓮𝓮𝓵 𝓯𝓻𝓮𝓮 𝓽𝓸 𝓳𝓾𝓼𝓽 𝓼𝓮𝓷𝓭 𝓶𝓮 𝓲𝓽𝓮𝓶𝓼 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓹𝓮𝓽𝓼 <3
𝓓𝓻𝓮𝓼𝓼𝓾𝓹𝓼! | 𝓣𝓻𝓪𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰! | 𝓒𝓻𝓮𝓭𝓲𝓽𝓼!

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
AlphaLex

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vash ♡ » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:41 pm

i haven't posted in here in ages.

i went to train in ocala with my horse for a working student position back in late summer/fall of 2020, and came back with sports-related PTSD. i inevitably decided to switch disciplines as my spark for eventing was not the same and i don't think it ever will be. i've swapped to mounted shooting as i'm a little more familiar with everything that goes into the sport seeing as my dad has been the regional rangemaster in my state for years and i grew up in that environment. i still plan on being consistent with my dressage lessons and if i get the random urge i'll pop over some jumps or on an xc course but not anything like i used to.

i did book my mare to be bred to a knabstrupper a few years back and i still plan on that cross happening next year even though it was definitely a purpose-bred cross. luckily i'm good friends with the stallion owner and she told me she really doesn't care what i do with the baby as long as it comes from imp (she's obsessed with her).

════════════════════════════════════
she • adult • audhd & chronically ill
struggling equine nutrition student, im barely on here.

fell in love with a pisces moon,
now i'll follow you wherever you go.
vash ♡

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby riri57 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:34 pm

lance ☼ wrote:i haven't posted in here in ages.

i went to train in ocala with my horse for a working student position back in late summer/fall of 2020, and came back with sports-related PTSD. i inevitably decided to switch disciplines as my spark for eventing was not the same and i don't think it ever will be. i've swapped to mounted shooting as i'm a little more familiar with everything that goes into the sport seeing as my dad has been the regional rangemaster in my state for years and i grew up in that environment. i still plan on being consistent with my dressage lessons and if i get the random urge i'll pop over some jumps or on an xc course but not anything like i used to.

i did book my mare to be bred to a knabstrupper a few years back and i still plan on that cross happening next year even though it was definitely a purpose-bred cross. luckily i'm good friends with the stallion owner and she told me she really doesn't care what i do with the baby as long as it comes from imp (she's obsessed with her).

I had the an extremely similar experience in Ocala from 2019-2020 (which is crazy to think, small world lol). I haven't competed since, and it completely killed my love for the sport. I have a mustang now that i just play around with, but I haven't really ridden (other than the occasional trail ride or loose rein flat) for 7 months. I used to feel extremely guilty about it, considering it was my dream to make a living out of the show jumping world for years, but honestly it was so healthy for me to quit. I am so much happier just loving on my ponies. I miss competing and jumping so badly, but my mental health has substantially improved getting away from all of the toxicity. It's tough man
Okay also random sidenote, why are we so similar. I have been seriously considering taking mounted shooting lessons, and I love Phoebe Bridgers (quote from you signature):)
^Tessa Gray <3
riri57

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vash ♡ » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:41 pm

riri57 wrote:I had the an extremely similar experience in Ocala from 2019-2020 (which is crazy to think, small world lol). I haven't competed since, and it completely killed my love for the sport. I have a mustang now that i just play around with, but I haven't really ridden (other than the occasional trail ride or loose rein flat) for 7 months. I used to feel extremely guilty about it, considering it was my dream to make a living out of the show jumping world for years, but honestly it was so healthy for me to quit. I am so much happier just loving on my ponies. I miss competing and jumping so badly, but my mental health has substantially improved getting away from all of the toxicity. It's tough man

thats insane that we had such a similar experience, i had goals to go upper level and EVERYTHING and built up so much of my identity around eventing i was lost and didn't know how to enjoy being in the saddle again. changing my discipline was terrifying but my motivation has increased tenfold. it really helps that i've swapped to a sport where my pony doesn't have a limit on her abilities so i can be a team with her as long as i possibly can before i retire her, as well as the fact i absolutely adore POAs and can ride them for the rest of my life in this area haha. working student positions are literally so exploitative and abusive. never again. everyone i've talked to after i made my escape all agreed their WS experiences were traumatic. if you think about it, it'd be illegal outside of the horse industry lol. i wouldn't have made it back home if i didn't have imp with me through it all. also absolutely nothing wrong with just enjoying your horse for leisure, i was almost robbed of that and will never take it for granted again. getting out of competing for a couple years also got me incredibly into ethical training and +r so even if i DID get my spark back for eventing i wouldn't feel inclined to go upper level from a moral standpoint.

also dude!! you should so get into it, the atmosphere is sooo much more lax and friendly and it's quite literally a blast (excuse the dad joke) bahaha. and i love phoebe bridgers, she's my brother's favorite artist and introduced me to her but killer in particular has me in a chokehold.

vash ♡

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby riri57 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:52 pm

thats insane that we had such a similar experience, i had goals to go upper level and EVERYTHING and built up so much of my identity around eventing i was lost and didn't know how to enjoy being in the saddle again. changing my discipline was terrifying but my motivation has increased tenfold. it really helps that i've swapped to a sport where my pony doesn't have a limit on her abilities so i can be a team with her as long as i possibly can before i retire her, as well as the fact i absolutely adore POAs and can ride them for the rest of my life in this area haha. working student positions are literally so exploitative and abusive. never again. everyone i've talked to after i made my escape all agreed their WS experiences were traumatic. if you think about it, it'd be illegal outside of the horse industry lol. i wouldn't have made it back home if i didn't have imp with me through it all. also absolutely nothing wrong with just enjoying your horse for leisure, i was almost robbed of that and will never take it for granted again. getting out of competing for a couple years also got me incredibly into ethical training and +r so even if i DID get my spark back for eventing i wouldn't feel inclined to go upper level from a moral standpoint.

also dude!! you should so get into it, the atmosphere is sooo much more lax and friendly and it's quite literally a blast (excuse the dad joke) bahaha. and i love phoebe bridgers, she's my brother's favorite artist and introduced me to her but killer in particular has me in a chokehold.

YES. My biggest regret in life is not fighting hard enough to keep my show jumper after I got out of the sport. My pony now will never, ever be sold. It's a whole new world outside of competitions, and I love it
A lady who trains mounted shooting has been asking me for a couple of months to get my girl back in shape so I can give it a shot (I'll play your dad joke game lol). I think you just motivated me to actually do it lolll

Killer is such a good song! Graceland Too is my favorite <3
^Tessa Gray <3
riri57

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vash ♡ » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:31 pm

riri57 wrote:
YES. My biggest regret in life is not fighting hard enough to keep my show jumper after I got out of the sport. My pony now will never, ever be sold. It's a whole new world outside of competitions, and I love it
A lady who trains mounted shooting has been asking me for a couple of months to get my girl back in shape so I can give it a shot (I'll play your dad joke game lol). I think you just motivated me to actually do it lolll

Killer is such a good song! Graceland Too is my favorite <3

oh man i can't imagine how hard that was :( they tried to guilt me into selling my girl because she wouldn't make it past modified in florida and they were like oh she could go for 30k as a BN packer and you can get a nice OTTB. called my trainer/best friend bawling bc she's the one who gave me imp and i didn't know what to do and she's like "you know you can say no right? that horse has changed you." they lorded everything over my head but that was the one thing i set my foot down on. we rescued that horse entirely feral and i brought her from the ground up, she's my pride and joy.

BAHAHA glad someone else appreciates a good dad joke. lmk how it goes and if you need we can kinda navigate it together bc i'm still class 1 and working on getting all my gear!!

oh my god graceland too is my second favorite!!

vash ♡

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me