Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby sunny*days*ahead » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:36 am

^ What a beautiful filly! (/mare now probably lol) I too, have a heart for buckskins and duns, as I went through a very similar experience as you (minus the bucking - my little plump gelding was far too lazy to hoist up that big QH booty!) with one I nicknamed "Earl." He was such an intelligent boy, and after all the work I put on him, he was too expensive for me to purchase. Which I guess was flattering, although pretty upsetting at the time. I totally agree though - such a rewarding and learning experience working with youngsters!

Thanks for sharing! A lovely read!
_
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."- Proverbs 16:24

sunny*days*ahead

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby QueenPebbles93 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:54 am

I haven’t posted on here in ages! I’ve done 5 English lessons so far- mainly just learning how to trot. That was from February- March. I haven’t ridden since then due to corona. It sucks but people’s health and safety is more important to me.
I’ve gotten to ride three different horses- Marsh, Val, and Lakoda. Lakoda being the main one. It’s honestly a lot of fun!
I have ridden before I started English but I did western. I didn’t learn how to ride properly but I still had fun regardless! Anyways, this is really choppy but I wanted to give everyone an update to anyone who cares :)
Last edited by QueenPebbles93 on Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“𝐈’𝐝 𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐈 𝐚𝐦 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐝 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐈 𝐚𝐦 𝐧𝐨𝐭.”
-𝐊𝐮𝐫𝐭 𝐂𝐨𝐛𝐚𝐢𝐧

natalia 🪐 (she/her)
QueenPebbles93

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blue_Aussie » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:53 am

I have been doing lessons for 7 years now. Dusty, a 17 year old chestnut with a white star/strip, is the horse I now ride every week because my favorite horse (that I've been riding for the past 6 years) is now retired at age 30.

So, Im the only person that uses Dusty for lessons because he's not a beginner horse at all. Yesterday was the second time I have jumped him and he's doing so good with it! My friend rode him one time last year for a jumping lesson and he threw her... so, big improvement, or he likes me better? Lol!

NEW EXERCISE: My teacher had my group do a new exercise that REALLY helped! Set up poles like normal. put your hands straight out above the neck as far as they'll go, keeping your body in the normal position, and tighten your reins. Then don't use your hands at all to steer going through the poles. This exercise will help you realize how much leg pressure to use in poles and how mush you usually use your hands.

Let me know if you've tried this and thought it helped you! If you have any exercises or tips, please, feel free to share! c:
Blue_Aussie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Soloee » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:58 am

I have been riding for 5 years now, but I started out pretty late. I only take riding lessons once a week with a group of around 8 other people. The thing I find sad is that since I started so late (and that I don't do anything more 'serious' than just regular riding lessons) I'm always way older than everyone else. The people I used to have lessons with for 4 years were all 2 years younger than me, and now I ride with even younger people. It makes me feel kind of like an outsider and that I should maybe quit riding if I don't want to do anything more serious. (My mom is also telling me this) But then again, I like horses a lot and I enjoy horse riding, BUT I'm not horse-crazy. + I have a lot of social struggles and similar and would not be comfortable at all to try to take care of someone elses horse for a couple of days a week/etc.

This sunday I'm going to a riding-camp, I have been to 3 other before, but last time was 2 years ago. Last time I was the oldest person on the camp. Imagine NOW 2 years later, will I be 3+ years older than everyone else?? That makes me nervous, I'm so going to feel like an outsider, I already have problems around people my own age. I'm not even that good of a rider, so it's not like I will be the "amazing rider" either. I really hope I didn't make a mistake here, ugh I HATE getting older.

Am I making a big deal out of nothing here? x,D I could really use some encouraging word to be honest, lol.
┍━━━━━━━━━━━━━┑
sHi, I'm Soloee <3 I love to draw,
xlwatch Youtube and play games
xxlike cs. I actually started to
xxplay cs November 15th 2017.
wHope to see you around friend!
┕━━━━━━━━━━━━━━──┙

┍━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┑
xI am a picky trader, but that's because
LxxI find it hard to give away my pets.
lxxTrades are still welcome any time :)

┕━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┙
┍≫ ──━━ ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ━━── ≪┑
xxxDappervolkFlight RisingToyhouse
┕─━━━━━━━━━━━━─━━─┙

┍━━━━━━━━┑
bxx𝓢𝓸𝓵𝓸𝓮𝓮
xllShe/her • Norway
┕━━━━━━━━┙
┍━━━━━━━━┑
xl"It's a weird thing,
xxxxwe call it life"

┕━━━━━━━━┙
Soloee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Verdana » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:41 am

Soloee wrote:I have been riding for 5 years now, but I started out pretty late. I only take riding lessons once a week with a group of around 8 other people. The thing I find sad is that since I started so late (and that I don't do anything more 'serious' than just regular riding lessons) I'm always way older than everyone else. The people I used to have lessons with for 4 years were all 2 years younger than me, and now I ride with even younger people. It makes me feel kind of like an outsider and that I should maybe quit riding if I don't want to do anything more serious. (My mom is also telling me this) But then again, I like horses a lot and I enjoy horse riding, BUT I'm not horse-crazy. + I have a lot of social struggles and similar and would not be comfortable at all to try to take care of someone elses horse for a couple of days a week/etc.

This sunday I'm going to a riding-camp, I have been to 3 other before, but last time was 2 years ago. Last time I was the oldest person on the camp. Imagine NOW 2 years later, will I be 3+ years older than everyone else?? That makes me nervous, I'm so going to feel like an outsider, I already have problems around people my own age. I'm not even that good of a rider, so it's not like I will be the "amazing rider" either. I really hope I didn't make a mistake here, ugh I HATE getting older.

Am I making a big deal out of nothing here? x,D I could really use some encouraging word to be honest, lol.

I think that only you can answer whether or not having peers your age is a deal-breaker. But I do not think you're making a big deal out of nothing. I started age ten, and had riding buddies my age all the way up to the start of university and it was great. And then life happened, and people went away to college (including me), and I quickly found myself the only person over the age of twenty-one and under the age of thirty-six riding regularly. I was also one of very few adult riders who was not leasing and did not own their own horse, and that was pretty lonely too.

If the social aspect is really important to you (completely legit) can you look at riding somewhere else perhaps? Alternatively, private lessons are shorter and less 'fun', but they will speed along your learning significantly. Sometimes, you just have to change barns a couple times before you find a really nice fit. And you can also outgrow a barn!

I guess you need to sit down, and weigh up the pros and cons, make a list, and think about whether you can talk to your coach to try something new (horse people can be weird, but a good teacher should also listen to your concerns), or whether you move, or whether you do a different sport for a bit. For me, peers or not, and whether I hated every single person on the property or not, my absolute love for horses always trumps it. I will climb through barbed wire fences to stroke a soft nose. Now that I have barn buddies, I love it, but it was not a deal-breaker for me to have zero friends.

Today we were stirrupless, working on smooth turns, transitioning up and down between halt, walk and trot, and a refresher on travers (I can feel more accurately what I want, but I still have limited success in recreating it. I know I want 'press inside hind in ground deCisively', but communicating that is another story). I really like the horse I've been riding. He's kind and safe, but not above pushing boundaries a little.
Verdana

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Soloee » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:04 am

@Verdana
Thank you so much for your answer! I will definitely think about the things you said, maybe it would be a good idea to change barn. Or I should at least not let me stop because of my age :)
┍━━━━━━━━━━━━━┑
sHi, I'm Soloee <3 I love to draw,
xlwatch Youtube and play games
xxlike cs. I actually started to
xxplay cs November 15th 2017.
wHope to see you around friend!
┕━━━━━━━━━━━━━━──┙

┍━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┑
xI am a picky trader, but that's because
LxxI find it hard to give away my pets.
lxxTrades are still welcome any time :)

┕━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┙
┍≫ ──━━ ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ━━── ≪┑
xxxDappervolkFlight RisingToyhouse
┕─━━━━━━━━━━━━─━━─┙

┍━━━━━━━━┑
bxx𝓢𝓸𝓵𝓸𝓮𝓮
xllShe/her • Norway
┕━━━━━━━━┙
┍━━━━━━━━┑
xl"It's a weird thing,
xxxxwe call it life"

┕━━━━━━━━┙
Soloee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby alfiq » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:52 am

@Soloee i see you're also in norway! :) i know theres quite a few instructors around that offer private lessons (though they can be a bit pricy), so i'd also suggest that. theres also a lot of small stables around that are happy to let you borrow a horse for a day in return for mucking and doing the daily chores in my experience, only downside is you'd probably be on your own with no instructor.

alfiq∙ adult ∙ lesbian
∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙
this town IS big enough for the both of us
BLM
alfiq

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sunny*days*ahead » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:34 pm

I agree with what the others have said! I don't have any friends to ride with anymore since I moved out of state and am currently horse-less (but I work and ride at a barn) and it can be very lonely when the only others around you are so much younger or older! But if you stick with it, maybe switch barns/lesson times if you can, or find a local riding facebook group to join, it can be so rewarding! <3
_
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."- Proverbs 16:24

sunny*days*ahead

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby alfiq » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:02 am

maybe a bit of an odd question, but i got my horses right next to a camping ground and theres quite a few german tourists. my german skills are extremely limited, so i was wondering if anyone knew how to nicely write something along the lines of "please don't feed the horses, they get sick easily"? i don't trust google translate

alfiq∙ adult ∙ lesbian
∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙
this town IS big enough for the both of us
BLM
alfiq

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:48 am

alfiq wrote:maybe a bit of an odd question, but i got my horses right next to a camping ground and theres quite a few german tourists. my german skills are extremely limited, so i was wondering if anyone knew how to nicely write something along the lines of "please don't feed the horses, they get sick easily"? i don't trust google translate

look at Amazon, did look into german amazon^^
when you can draw/copy this what is more easy^^, or buy it, and put it up they should understand, and it i funny and nice to look at.

like this on amazon.de
- trendaffe - Metallschild mit Pferde Motiv und Spruch: Bitte Nicht füttern
- FS Warnschild Bitte Nicht Füttern! (Pferd) Blechschild Schild gewölbt Metal Sign 20 x 30 cm ....
- Schatzmix Bitte Nicht füttern! Pferd stall koppel kolik Warnschild blechschild

i did look for funny warning sign for horses in german

but write it in english too so all can understand^^
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me