Poultry Lovers Club

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Which type of fowl is your favorite?

Standard Chicken
34%
Duck
15%
Geese
3%
Turkey
3%
Peafowl
4%
Pigeons
15%
Bantams
18%
Other
8%

Total votes : 471

Re: Poultry Lovers -- Chat Thread/Club

Postby Gà. » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:05 pm

Onew~
Do you dare venture chicken math?
Dare start a drug that can never be stopped? If you dare, then read along, or else shield your eyes.

Your coop holds 15 hens. Do you ever have to keep them in it 24/7? Can you add an extra roost?
If so, you just added 5-10 more chickens.
Roosters don't count.
Hens who don't lay count.
Chicks don't count.
Have 20 laying hens, 4 hens who aren't laying, and 2 Roos? You own 20 chickens.
This is called chicken math.
Buy 200 chicks? Nope, still have 20 chickens. Ducks don't count unless they're laying. Either.
If your hens aren't laying, or very sparsely, you don't own chickens.
If your max is 15, then get 15 ! Can you own 20? Then get 20
But only laying hens count. If they aren't laying regularly. They don't count.
This may not make sense now, but once you start getting chicks,....
Gà.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Onew~ » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:11 pm

Gà. wrote:Onew~
Dare start a drug that can never be stopped? If you dare, then read along, or else shield your eyes.

Your coop holds 15 hens. Do you ever have to keep them in it 24/7? Can you add an extra roost?
Roosters don't count.
Chicks don't count.
Buy 200 chicks? Nope, still have 20 chickens. Ducks don't count unless they're laying. Either.

o-o

dun dun dunnn.

But nah 15 would probably be my maximum. xD My coop could fit more(heck, way more if I had enough roosts and nestboxes and they were outside 12 hours a day), but still.
Onew~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaineiacJay » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:47 am

Onew~ wrote:
Gà. wrote:Onew~

Roosters don't count.
Chicks don't count.

o-o

dun dun dunnn.

But nah 15 would probably be my maximum. xD My coop could fit more(heck, way more if I had enough roosts and nestboxes and they were outside 12 hours a day), but still.

wrong. i wanted 6 chickens. i now have 9 pullets, 3 roosters and 13 chicks. sure you may have a max, but then you are gonna find some breed that you really like (silkies, polish cough cough) and then youll just HAVE to have one.. or 2... or 4. youre gonna se on craigslist a pretty little hen laying blue eggs and youll insist on having her, because you dont have a hen that lays blue eggs yet! youll stop at a chicken swap and see that silkie and your husband who "hates" chickens will insist on buying her. then he'll want a banty rooster cause he thinks they are funny..... ok hold on, talking about my life now!

anyways, long story short, there is no such thing as a "maximum" number of chickens. your coop gets too small? you build a second one or build onto the one you already have. lol
Birthday: July 13 | Anniversary: September 18
Welcoming our daughter 1/7/19 ❤
MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby spaceferrari » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:40 pm

Username: Space Ferrari
Why are you joining?: I'm from the old thread. Bl
Favorite poultry bird: All of 'em.
Other: http://cluckyeschickens.tumblr.com/

Aww yiss I started a new page.
breonna taylor.
spaceferrari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby spaceferrari » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:57 pm

Well, in recent news, here's my friend's boss spotted Sussex rooster, Kevin:

I know he looks a little pale, but trust me, his comb is a healthy red and his legs are the normal pink. The light was very harsh.
He's about a year and a half old now. He's such a big handsome boy, but very protective of his girls. He's a great rooster.
I'm pretty sure he hates my guts. We spar now and then; he tries to kickbox my shoes. He pecks (hard!) and can tear you up with his spurs, but if I manage to catch him he doesn't struggle that much.
If another rooster tries to get on one of his girls, he runs up and sometimes even bodyslams them off. He's wonderful.
Meanwhile, the dumbasses Charlie and Alan, the younger cockerels, run from everything (including food being scattered).
Ah well. My favorites, Hawkeye the Easter-egger, Dainty the D'Uccle and Pumpernickel the cochin are still around, and my friend hasn't lost any birds recently, so I hope they'll all be able to weather the coming winter. The ducks seem to have gone on vacation, but they must be around sometime, since last time I was over, we found an egg in the pond. Yuck!

Here's Pumpernickel, acting a little gender-confused.

breonna taylor.
spaceferrari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaineiacJay » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:43 pm

i love my roos! they are such characters! when we first started free ranging them, when they found the woods, they went crazy clucking away and crowing, they were SO excited. my girls dont do that. even when we throw food in the pen, they go crazy its so funny. we were so sad when a fox got Dom a month or so ago. rip Dom

i found pictures of my Easter Egger rooster, Afro when we first got him. his name suited him so much better back then!

but hes so much more handsome now! i love his burnt orange feathers! hes my favorite, but dont tell the others :silent:

my other 2 roos, Jake the silkie and Stumpy the Easter Egger.

and the newest member of our flock, Furby. she is a scissor beak silkie. we got her for $15. my hubby couldnt resist her (he who hates chickens). the regular silkies from the same hatch were $50. we have a soft spot for disabled animals (my rescue kitty was born with Radial Hypoplasia). i want to try filing her beak down a bit to see if that straightens it out a bit. anyone ever dealt with a scissor beak before?

and here is one of my polish chickens. im actually pretty satisfied with these guys, they look nice for hatchery chickens!

MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby dooze » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:34 pm

Username: berrynose.
Why are you joining: I love my chickens :D
Favorite poultry bird: My blue silkie bantam
Other:
                -maya angelou
dooze

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CrazyChickenDude » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:14 pm

Hai all!

Username: CrazyChickenLady
Why are you joining: I love birds. Like, I really love birds. All birds, but chickens especially. But pretty much all birds. And I love talking about them. So yah.
Favorite poultry bird: Standard Chickens, especially really big breeds. My favorites are gamefowl, mutts, and Cornish (hatchery birds, I don't much care for the SQ birds). I also love reaaaally tiny birds, like my super undersized Jap Banty, Castle. Oh, and Naked Necks. Looove NNs.
Other: Anyone else interested in Oriental Gamefowl or is it just me?
🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓I like chickens🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓
CrazyChickenDude

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 'Possum » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:34 am

MaineiacJay wrote:i love my roos! they are such characters! when we first started free ranging them, when they found the woods, they went crazy clucking away and crowing, they were SO excited. my girls dont do that. even when we throw food in the pen, they go crazy its so funny. we were so sad when a fox got Dom a month or so ago. rip Dom

i found pictures of my Easter Egger rooster, Afro when we first got him. his name suited him so much better back then!

but hes so much more handsome now! i love his burnt orange feathers! hes my favorite, but dont tell the others :silent:

my other 2 roos, Jake the silkie and Stumpy the Easter Egger.

and the newest member of our flock, Furby. she is a scissor beak silkie. we got her for $15. my hubby couldnt resist her (he who hates chickens). the regular silkies from the same hatch were $50. we have a soft spot for disabled animals (my rescue kitty was born with Radial Hypoplasia). i want to try filing her beak down a bit to see if that straightens it out a bit. anyone ever dealt with a scissor beak before?

and here is one of my polish chickens. im actually pretty satisfied with these guys, they look nice for hatchery chickens!

OMG! Stumpy looks like my two EE roo's Peedles and Squishy!

As for the scissors beak, my EE roo Peedles has a mildly crossed beak. He managed quite well till about 4 months old with no intervention and nothing special as far as feeding. Recently though, he was thinning down, his crop was always empty, and he'd spent every waking moment picking around and "eating" He'd also taken to drinking out of my goldfish pond's overflow filter (I believe because it is deeper than their hanging chicken waterers) So last week we filed his beak down, top and bottom with my Mom's Pedi Paws. Basically it's a little battery operated dremel tool for filing down dog nails. I filed till I saw the first spot of blood for his bottom beak and filed the top just back to the part where it starts to thicken up. I plan on doing it every week from here on out till I get his beak back to a level where he can eat easily again. I've also started feeding them all wet food. Sounds crazy but they all love it. I put a scoop of their feed which is game bird feed mixed with cracked corn and sunflower seeds into a glass jar. Top it off with warm water and let it sit over night. In the morning I let them out of the coop and spoon the wet feed into 2 dog bowls raised on bricks. by lunch time the bowls are empty. And for the first time in days, Peedles is fat and happy.

Anyway...

Username: 'Possum
Why are you joining: Because I love my Chickens and am hoping to talk 'da Hubby into some Pigeons soon.
Favorite poultry bird: Chickens. Specifically Easter Eggers and Mille Fleur Bantams
Other:
'Possum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaineiacJay » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:06 am

thanks for the insight!! Furby's beak isnt too bad, i took a really good look at it and i think if i file it down, it should actually straighten out. i used to carve glass with a dremel so i know my way around one so i may take my husbands out and try filing it down today before it gets dark. i put their water dish up on a cement block so its easier for her to keep water in her beak as she drinks and that seems to help her.

Im getting worried about the rest of my chickens. they keep jumping the fencing into the yard and free ranging themselves. it hasnt been a problem but today my neighbors came over and told me the chickens were close to the road today. luckily i have good neighbors, who also have chickens (and free range them), and they herded them back to the coop. we are planning on fencing in the whole yard and then switching to a dog kennel for the pen so we can free range during the day since they will be safe in the fenced yard. i didnt want to have to use a dog kennel because it would be so much smaller than the pen they have and there are 12 adult chickens and 13 young chicks total, so to coop them up all day long in a little dog kennel doesnt sit well with me =/ but it seems like i wont have much of a choice if they are going to venture down into the road.
MaineiacJay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me