Poultry Lovers Club

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Which type of fowl is your favorite?

Standard Chicken
34%
Duck
15%
Geese
3%
Turkey
3%
Peafowl
4%
Pigeons
14%
Bantams
19%
Other
8%

Total votes : 467

Re: Poultry Lovers Club

Postby Barb_ » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:19 pm

allosaurusrock wrote:Thank you! His name is Blaziken.

Great name for a roo with all his gorgeous color!!
I love my chickens. Idon;t breed, we just have them as pets and for the eggs. I do have 12 day olds arriving Wednesday. The rule of thumb on sexing from this hatchery is that they are usually 90% accurate (on the breeds that don't sex-link color). I am hoping for one roo. I lost my old man Japanese Chabo at the end of winter and I miss having a friendly roo.
Barb_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby arcadia. » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:31 pm

Barb_ wrote:

I love my chickens. Idon;t breed, we just have them as pets and for the eggs. I do have 12 day olds arriving Wednesday. The rule of thumb on sexing from this hatchery is that they are usually 90% accurate (on the breeds that don't sex-link color). I am hoping for one roo. I lost my old man Japanese Chabo at the end of winter and I miss having a friendly roo.

aww, I’m sorry :( where are you getting your pullets from?
arcadia.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby allosaurusrock » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:07 pm

That is so bad to hear about your Chabo. I had a little Japanese bantam hen for a while right at the start of my chicken keeping journey and she was lovely.
allosaurusrock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Barb_ » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:01 am

arcadia. wrote:
Barb_ wrote:

aww, I’m sorry :( where are you getting your pullets from?

Thank you both for your condolences. ♥ I was luck enough to have him for 15 years, he was a gem. He loved to present food to all the hens he'd been with over the years. He would lay a treat down in front of a hen three times bigger than himself and stand there and look proudly up at her until she ate it.

I chose a hatchery in Ohio US since it is closer to me in NH US then many of the other ones out there. It's called Mt.Healthy Hatcheries,here's a link if you are interested in seeing what they have.
Barb_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me