Poultry Lovers Club

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Which type of fowl is your favorite?

Standard Chicken
34%
Duck
15%
Geese
3%
Turkey
3%
Peafowl
4%
Pigeons
14%
Bantams
19%
Other
8%

Total votes : 467

Re: Poultry Lovers -- Chat Thread/Club

Postby Mothmanofficial » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:39 pm

SoundGarden wrote:
Sparkfire wrote:Then I think I will get something else because we live in a cold climate, and they would be a friend to my polish, who are flock outasts and live in a different pen because the bigger birds killed two of them through the cage bars of my "see but dont touch" cage. They live in a souped up doghouse, and it does not have the electricity that makes my large 25-bird coop so nice. I want bantams to live with my polish however because they are picked on heavily by the larger birds, and bantams would be easier for them to handle. Can you suggest any other breeds who would get along well with two polish that are on the smaller standard/bantam side? I am at my wits end with what to get for companions.

I'd suggest easter eggers. They are so gentle and sweet

I might try those. They are easy for me to get my hands on. I originally did not want those because a test with my EE hen ended in her cornering the polish. I had the polish out the other day though, and I think they like to attack whoever doesnt attack them so they feel powerful. Anyway, they terrorized a red star hen and my old buff orpington.

╔══════════════════════════════╗
Ace | He/him| INFP | Avatar FAQ | Carrd
╚══════════════════════════════╝

╔═════════════════════════╗
My head is filled with bees and all of
them are playing the trombone feature
from Phantom Regiment's 2023 show
|Thanks for coming to my TED talk|

╚═════════════════════════╝

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Poultry Lovers Club

Postby Soundgarden » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:55 pm

I have officially trained my chickens to jump up on anything with the pat of my hand and the click of my voice...

They have learned to jump on the counter, on the stove, and i even caught one chilling in the sink.

What have i done!?
▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

╔══════════╗
signature credit
╚══════════╝
Soundgarden

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mothmanofficial » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:09 am

SoundGarden wrote:I have officially trained my chickens to jump up on anything with the pat of my hand and the click of my voice...

They have learned to jump on the counter, on the stove, and i even caught one chilling in the sink.

What have i done!?

Once one of ours came into our front yard. Now to understand why this is unusual, you must know that we have a garden and field on the front of the house, while there is about 70 acres of solid woods, fields, and yard that we own behind the house. The chickens have always had free run of this place, as long as they did not venture up our 1/4 mile driveway towards a busy road. So, this visit was a first. We laughed as the hen bumped against our glass door and jumped back in confusion (she had never seen glass before and kept trying to walk into the house through the glass). We welcomed the visitor eagerly. Now, all the chickens but pur EE's and Leghorns will come to visit. I still remember the day one of the hens proudly brought our new heinz 57 rooster up to see the front yard, showing him the secret egg nest under the front steps and letting him explore, like he was on a tour. Now they dig up our plants and bury our daffodils, and broke the tops off of our small pine trees in the front of the house. And all because we thought that one hen was funny.

╔══════════════════════════════╗
Ace | He/him| INFP | Avatar FAQ | Carrd
╚══════════════════════════════╝

╔═════════════════════════╗
My head is filled with bees and all of
them are playing the trombone feature
from Phantom Regiment's 2023 show
|Thanks for coming to my TED talk|

╚═════════════════════════╝

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Soundgarden » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:36 am

Sparkfire wrote:
SoundGarden wrote:I have officially trained my chickens to jump up on anything with the pat of my hand and the click of my voice...

What have i done!?

Once one of ours came into our front yard. Now to understand why this is unusual, you must know that we have a garden and field on the front of the house, while there is about 70 acres of solid woods, fields, and yard that we own behind the house. The chickens have always had free run of this place, as long as they did not venture up our 1/4 mile driveway towards a busy road. So, this visit was a first. We laughed as the hen bumped against our glass door and jumped back in confusion (she had never seen glass before and kept trying to walk into the house through the glass). We welcomed the visitor eagerly. Now, all the chickens but pur EE's and Leghorns will come to visit. I still remember the day one of the hens proudly brought our new heinz 57 rooster up to see the front yard, showing him the secret egg nest under the front steps and letting him explore, like he was on a tour. Now they dig up our plants and bury our daffodils, and broke the tops off of our small pine trees in the front of the house. And all because we thought that one hen was funny.

My chickens know how to knock... whenever they want in they jump and scratch their claws on the door, or peck the door.

They also like to lay eggs in the house, and sometimes they actually sleep in the house
▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

╔══════════╗
signature credit
╚══════════╝
Soundgarden

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Soundgarden » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:37 am

And here we have my Big Red

This boy is my baby, and he was the first ever chicken i had

He's such a sweet boy, and he loves getting hugs and kisses
▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

╔══════════╗
signature credit
╚══════════╝
Soundgarden

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PumpkinVine » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:54 am

Username: PumpkinVine
Why are you joining: I've been keeping poultry for just over 9 years and i'm so happy to see a poultry community on here! :)
Favorite poultry bird: A toss up between Russian Orloff, Faverolle & Ex-battery hens (they have fantastic personalities)
Other: Can't believe i haven't found this topic sonner!!
ImageImageImageImage
PumpkinVine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Soundgarden » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:57 am

PumpkinVine wrote:Username: PumpkinVine
Why are you joining: I've been keeping poultry for just over 9 years and i'm so happy to see a poultry community on here! :)
Favorite poultry bird: A toss up between Russian Orloff, Faverolle & Ex-battery hens (they have fantastic personalities)

Welcome!
▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

╔══════════╗
signature credit
╚══════════╝
Soundgarden

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PumpkinVine » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:05 am

SoundGarden wrote:

Welcome!

Thank You!!
ImageImageImageImage
PumpkinVine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Soundgarden » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:10 am

PumpkinVine wrote:
SoundGarden wrote:

Welcome!

Thank You!!

If you ever wanna share pictures of your chickens with someone, i'm that someone! pls show me your chickens

I love chickens
▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

╔══════════╗
signature credit
╚══════════╝
Soundgarden

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PumpkinVine » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:22 am

Image (sorry if the picturs alittle big)

Here's a picture of one of my girls at one of the shows that i go to yearly. Very proud to say she came first! ♥
ImageImageImageImage
PumpkinVine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me