Poultry Lovers Club

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Which type of fowl is your favorite?

Standard Chicken
34%
Duck
15%
Geese
3%
Turkey
3%
Peafowl
5%
Pigeons
14%
Bantams
18%
Other
8%

Total votes : 466

Re: Poultry Lovers Club

Postby Winstalgia » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:32 am

I've been doing some research since it started, but one of our Hens, Bean, Is acting more aggressive recently. She keeps getting small fights with Sasha, another hen. I believe sasha is high in the pecking order, if not her, then another hen Vivian. But bean, whenever I go to enter the enclosure, has started charging at me (or any person). She never attacks but abruptly stops and turns around to leave.

She has been spending a lot of time in her coop. And she isn't accepting treats I give her anymore. She used to be the shyer chicken, but let me pet her and even hold her a few times if I had food.

Sasha prevented her from getting food we scattered around the enclosure, and Bean has been acting frantic, running around like a lunatic.

Any theories? I'm still learning how these chickens act, they're the first ones our family has had. My Dad doesnt seem all too bothered about beans behavior but it came out of nowhere and was concerning me.

We have 7 chickens total, all hen's, as we had to get rid of our rooster last year.

If I am sitting on a log, bean will jump up beside me, but she doesnt look at all friendly. She'll ruffle her feathers and squawk, but she never pecks me or anything to actually harm me.
"𝕹𝖔𝖙 𝖆𝖑𝖑 𝖙𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖘𝖚𝖗𝖊"
adult
Hi! Call me Rain or Wins! hope all is well.
I love philosophy, paradoxes, and thought
experiments. Fermi paradox is my favorite.
Really avid blink-182 fan! I love their music.
I also really like DnD and fantasy stuff.
Currently working on a visual novel!

"𝖎𝖘 𝖘𝖎𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖌𝖔𝖑𝖉."
Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby magnapinna » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:30 am

anybody got tips for a new duck keeper? i'm getting a female duck today or tomorrow after the person i'm getting it from has had their entire chicken and duck flock die after a animal (?) attack.

-pfp by lifora
magnapinna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Deliriousz » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:40 am

Username: Deliriousz
Why are you joining:
I raise and show high quality bantams, and would like to share/talk/hear about others’ birds and pets! I also have old English bantams, Wyandotte’s, call ducks (bantam ducks), and some other random breeds scattered about the flock.
Favorite poultry bird: Modern Game Bantams. They are my main breed that I raise, but I do have to say that white leghorn bantams are pretty close in following. They are so pretty!
Other: Pictures!!

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
swag money yolo
Deliriousz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ruthless » Fri May 15, 2020 7:41 am

I wasn't sure where to share this. I'm not much of a chicken person but one of our chicks got attacked by my aunt and uncle's boxer puppy. They thought it was dead and had me go pick it up but it turns out she's still very alive. I put some antibiotic ointment on her and decided to keep her in my room for a while. Three days later she's my little buddy. I can't say we're out of the woods yet but she's got the spirit.
ruthless

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

IF YOU OWN CHICKENS IRL PLS CLICK!

Postby .. a weird wolf .. » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:03 am

I own 8 chickens, 5 chicks and 3 adults. However, one of my adult chickens who is a rooster keeps fighting with my other rooster and the hen. And on top of that, the smaller rooster is trying to mate with my hen. We have enough and can't afford another coop at the moment and it's actually illegal to have more than 6 chickens I believe in my state. So, any tips on how to stop the chickens from mating? My roosters fighting? Depending on the breed type deal,,? Thank you!
Hey! Check my stamp collection for more facts about me! She/her | Bisexual | Furry
.. a weird wolf ..

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Syn_cat » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:36 pm

Repaugnant wrote:I wasn't sure where to share this. I'm not much of a chicken person but one of our chicks got attacked by my aunt and uncle's boxer puppy. They thought it was dead and had me go pick it up but it turns out she's still very alive. I put some antibiotic ointment on her and decided to keep her in my room for a while. Three days later she's my little buddy. I can't say we're out of the woods yet but she's got the spirit.

That sounds awful. I'm glad your chick is still alive and hopefully she pulls through.
A dog killed one of my geese a year ago and left gnarly gashes on my other goose. I took him to the vet and they did the same thing your doing but they used Manuka honey. His neck fully healed so hopefully your chick will too <3

♥️ Autumn Spring ♥️ wrote:I own 8 chickens, 5 chicks and 3 adults. However, one of my adult chickens who is a rooster keeps fighting with my other rooster and the hen. And on top of that, the smaller rooster is trying to mate with my hen. We have enough and can't afford another coop at the moment and it's actually illegal to have more than 6 chickens I believe in my state. So, any tips on how to stop the chickens from mating? My roosters fighting? Depending on the breed type deal,,? Thank you!

Generally what people say is 4-5 hens per rooster.
Some ideas are;
- Getting rid of one rooster
- Getting more hens
- Keep them seperate with fencing? Omlet.com has some good chicken fencing (and chicken toys!)
- A chicken saddle to protect the hens back from the roosters

-------

I finally got my coop and yard set up for my birds. Its been 3 months since i moved out. i bought 2 girls and my chicken from my former home. I also got 6 chicks and their mum since my family couldnt look after them due to predators. (Foxes, hawks, snakes, etc)

New girls, name suggestions are appreciated !
They are the sweetest girls, they kept following me around the yard and was intrigued by what i was doing. (Cleaning the yard lmao)
Hedwig, her crown became floppy since the last time i saw her, any tips on how to fix it?
Also how do you clip chickens? Hedwig flew on top of the fence and almost went into the neighbours yard. Lucky i was watching them.

Inkwell and her babies
Syn_cat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Waytown » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:58 am

Username: Popee Performer
Why are you joining: Bird.
Favorite poultry bird: Peafowl
Other: can someone send me a pic of a dodo taken in 2020, or at least edited to appear as if taken in 2020? I want to make Animal Jam HQ freak out about how "Dodos still exist"

This world, it was made for two
It'll never be whole until you open the door

Waytown

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nervousdog » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:57 am

Hi ! We recently bought 6 baby chicks ( our state's minimum ) and might possibly add a few more to our flock as well : )
My boyfriends family has had chickens before- but I never have had much experience with them ! I know they will get good care and basic needs due to his family being knowledgeable and having experience but I would love to learn more and be able to help to the best of my ability !!
Do you guys have any recommendations for YouTube channels on raising chickens ??

We are not raising for meat or show, they are just pets who will provide breakfast lol
aquarius ♡ 3oh!3 stan ♡ dog trainer ♡ 5 . 10 . 20
nervousdog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby claypigeon » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:41 am

nervousdog wrote:Hi ! We recently bought 6 baby chicks ( our state's minimum ) and might possibly add a few more to our flock as well : )
My boyfriends family has had chickens before- but I never have had much experience with them ! I know they will get good care and basic needs due to his family being knowledgeable and having experience but I would love to learn more and be able to help to the best of my ability !!
Do you guys have any recommendations for YouTube channels on raising chickens ??

We are not raising for meat or show, they are just pets who will provide breakfast lol

I don't have a youtube channel but I've always found backyard chickens to be helpful!!
I've had chickens since I was pretty young, I live in a city so I only ever raised 2-4 at a time and just used for eggs, so similar to you : )
Backyard chickens has general information, and also a forum in case anything goes wrong (also just to get advice from people who are experts). anytime anything bad has happened I asked the forum !!
The only real thing to "know" is how to properly feed them, since laying hens need balanced diets. You can find that here & here
basically just get good feed and grit, and if you're letting them free range they'll eat worms n bugs all day long
my favourite scraps to feed them is yogurt and spaghetti because they look dumb as heck eating it (trust me its really funny)
otherwise chickens are incredibly easy to take care of, I doubt you'll have a single problem. hope this helped !

hi!
clay★ she/her
i have many classes, work and no time. ((so please be patient w me !!)
electric guitar connoisseur. dead head and led head
pm me if you need to talk or just want a friend !!
If I owe you an unfinished commission I never did from years ago, which I did often bc I was a horrible little gremlin, please just let me know : )
johnny says stay cool
claypigeon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nero1007 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:59 am

Does anyone have any name suggestions for Speckled Sussex, Buff Orpington, and maybe Rhode Island Red chicks? We are getting probably around 5 chicks Feb.5th and I can’t think of any names. These are pictures of our old chickens the red one is the sweetest Rhode Island Red rooster in the world he’s also the red-brown chick. These are names we’ve already used that I can think of: •Sunny •Sugar •Cinnamon •Nutmeg •Angel •Snowflake •Jessica •Felix •Pixie •Clover •Splotch •Fluffy •Buttercup •Ms. Glitter •Blackie •Luna •Button
Attachments
089438AD-ECF8-4640-8AC0-76F9716CE53B.png
089438AD-ECF8-4640-8AC0-76F9716CE53B.png (379.49 KiB) Viewed 81 times
88D8F79A-4553-49F4-9C19-0C6C39747DF3.png
88D8F79A-4553-49F4-9C19-0C6C39747DF3.png (332.5 KiB) Viewed 81 times
1FE38933-793E-46F1-B153-DA2FFF6105BB.png
1FE38933-793E-46F1-B153-DA2FFF6105BB.png (365 KiB) Viewed 81 times
She/Her
Check out my free base!
Forum/viewtopic.php?t=4731505
And my current adopts:
Forum/viewtopic.php?t=4774726
Forum/viewtopic.php?t=4661052
Forum/viewtopic.php?t=4678273
Forum/viewtopic.php?t=4680273
I’ll always accept gifts from my wishlist! Also trade me please!
Trade Group: accounts/viewgroup.php?groupid=7234101&userid=1007517
ImageImageImageImage Image
Nero1007

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me