Poultry Lovers Club

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Which type of fowl is your favorite?

Standard Chicken
34%
Duck
15%
Geese
3%
Turkey
3%
Peafowl
5%
Pigeons
14%
Bantams
18%
Other
8%

Total votes : 466

Re: Poultry Lovers Club

Postby neverandnone » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:50 am

Luzien wrote:
emo moth wrote:User: emo moth
Reason: REQUIRE ASSISTANCE BLE A S E
ok a y hi everyone! I’m a new chicken owner, we’ve got 8. Awesome do dads, all female (we flip trip whipping hope) and they’re like.... all different breeds.
The guy was like “yeah we have no idea what happened to these guys, the shipment was all messed up, so it’s a coin toss what breed you get :) have fun!”

One’s a jersey giant, one is a rode island red, there’s two meat chickens. And the rest we have no idea. Yes I’m aware of the choices we made and just how awful they are but we don’t really care because we love them all anyway. Rn there about 8 weeks old, living in a pen in our basement, yeah that was the plan I promise we do not abuse these babies. Anyway I’m gonna be honest w/ you, my mom grew up with these but I haven’t the slightest clue how to chicken.
I’m the epitome of that girl in the “look @ all those chickens!” Vine.

So like, we’re making them a chicken coop that costs more than my birth so they’ll be gucci. Any advice for someone about as intellectually adverse in chickens as a pine cone that’s been chewed by your dog, and as impulsive as a god dang Mercedes Benz?

Judge me and my dad all you want, I deserve it. This was th greatest awful idea we’ve ever conjured up.

Favorite birb: m e

Other: I’m desperate please

- Research permit requirements
- Coop placement is important—shade in summer, dry location in rainy climates
- 'People-friendly' coops and runs are easier to clean and maintain

-
- give them enough leavy greens, herbs, plants for chicken, fruit and vegi, baby chicken feed for, mineral and vit. that they need, keep them warm but with enough space to get away from the ceramic heat lamp or Brinsea EcoGlow Brooder for Chicks or Ducklings, they Need different size perch

-watch that the coop is proteted from mice, rat, an whatever....(wire or net not is predatoor prof...low quality chicken wire is not predator-proof—use hardware cloth or such) , also from cold and heat or rain and snow^^
- let a vet have a look a them if they realy are healthy^^
- as you got big and small chicken, you need a coop and run that is big enough for all of them(Buy or build a bigger coop than you think you need. Chicken math is real....go bigger the bether with all animal)
- outside in there run make it nice for them and interesting to move around, a habitat will alwys chage or grow for them, put in a dust bath...and a loose sand bath and earth ...as some chic like to bath in dry earth other in fne dust or sand, stones and perches to sit on, a chicken swing, wooden chicken flexible ladder, plants and places to hide under, animal grass, wood shavings.....chicken or bird toys...feeding ball

books that maybe can work^^
- Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre by Brett L. Markham
- The Chicken Chick's Guide to Backyard Chickens by Kathy Shea Mormino
-
101 Chicken Keeping Hacks from Fresh Eggs Daily:Tips, Tricks, and Ideas for You and your Hens Kindle Edition by Lisa Steele

- The Chicken Whisperer's Guide to Keeping Chickens, by Andy Schneider
The Chicken Whisperer's Guide to Keeping Chickens, Revised: Everything you need to know. . . and didn't know you needed to know about backyard and urban chickens Paperback – July 15, 2017

by Andy Schneider

- Chicken Coops: The Essential Chicken Coops Guide: A Step-By-Step Guide to Planning and Building Your Own Chicken Coop (Chicken Coops For Dummies, Chicken Coop Plans, How to Build a Chicken Coop) by Andy Jacobson
-Raising Chickens: Backyard Chickens for Beginners: Choosing the Best Breed, Feeding and Care, and Raising Chickens for Eggs by Maggie Gingrich

- Raising Chickens For Dummies by Kimberley Willis and Robert T. Ludlow
- Backyard Chickens: Beginner's Guide To Feeding, Caring And Raising Chickens For Eggs: (How To Keep Chickens, Raising Chickens For Dummies, Backyard Chickens) (Raising Chickens, Feeding Chickens) by Toby Flynn
- Building Chicken Coops For Dummies by Todd Brock , David Zook, et al.
-

Wow thanks a ton! The chicken coop we’re building right now doesn’t even chicken wire so I’m pretty sure we’re good there. It’s give or take 40x59 square feet, aka it’s a monster for 8 chickens. Thanks for the books! I’ve actually read a few XP

We’ll be sure to give them extra perches and toys. We can use our local gardens and farms to get them plenty of good food instead of the bull they sell at that retched petco. We have 3 aces of land they can run on during the day as well. But this was really helpful! Have a nice day!
:)
neverandnone

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Postal Dude » Tue May 07, 2019 7:31 pm

Username: The Postal Dude
Why are you joining: Just love to hear about chickens and the different types
Favorite poultry bird: The Ayam Cemani chicken... they're so metal almost all of it's body parts are a black color. I think that's neat and punk rock of 'em.
Other: Never done this before... just here to see chicken talk.
Here's a secret...
It's always funny until someone gets hurt... and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!

Mason - it/he (trans guy) - gay

ImageImageImage
The Postal Dude

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 'Possum » Tue May 07, 2019 11:33 pm

emo moth wrote:
Luzien wrote:
emo moth wrote:User: emo moth
Reason: REQUIRE ASSISTANCE BLE A S E
ok a y hi everyone! I’m a new chicken owner, we’ve got 8. Awesome do dads, all female (we flip trip whipping hope) and they’re like.... all different breeds.
The guy was like “yeah we have no idea what happened to these guys, the shipment was all messed up, so it’s a coin toss what breed you get :) have fun!”

One’s a jersey giant, one is a rode island red, there’s two meat chickens. And the rest we have no idea. Yes I’m aware of the choices we made and just how awful they are but we don’t really care because we love them all anyway. Rn there about 8 weeks old, living in a pen in our basement, yeah that was the plan I promise we do not abuse these babies. Anyway I’m gonna be honest w/ you, my mom grew up with these but I haven’t the slightest clue how to chicken.
I’m the epitome of that girl in the “look @ all those chickens!” Vine.

So like, we’re making them a chicken coop that costs more than my birth so they’ll be gucci. Any advice for someone about as intellectually adverse in chickens as a pine cone that’s been chewed by your dog, and as impulsive as a god dang Mercedes Benz?

Judge me and my dad all you want, I deserve it. This was th greatest awful idea we’ve ever conjured up.

Favorite birb: m e

Other: I’m desperate please

- Research permit requirements
- Coop placement is important—shade in summer, dry location in rainy climates
- 'People-friendly' coops and runs are easier to clean and maintain

-
- give them enough leavy greens, herbs, plants for chicken, fruit and vegi, baby chicken feed for, mineral and vit. that they need, keep them warm but with enough space to get away from the ceramic heat lamp or Brinsea EcoGlow Brooder for Chicks or Ducklings, they Need different size perch

-watch that the coop is proteted from mice, rat, an whatever....(wire or net not is predatoor prof...low quality chicken wire is not predator-proof—use hardware cloth or such) , also from cold and heat or rain and snow^^
- let a vet have a look a them if they realy are healthy^^
- as you got big and small chicken, you need a coop and run that is big enough for all of them(Buy or build a bigger coop than you think you need. Chicken math is real....go bigger the bether with all animal)
- outside in there run make it nice for them and interesting to move around, a habitat will alwys chage or grow for them, put in a dust bath...and a loose sand bath and earth ...as some chic like to bath in dry earth other in fne dust or sand, stones and perches to sit on, a chicken swing, wooden chicken flexible ladder, plants and places to hide under, animal grass, wood shavings.....chicken or bird toys...feeding ball

books that maybe can work^^
- Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre by Brett L. Markham
- The Chicken Chick's Guide to Backyard Chickens by Kathy Shea Mormino
-
101 Chicken Keeping Hacks from Fresh Eggs Daily:Tips, Tricks, and Ideas for You and your Hens Kindle Edition by Lisa Steele

- The Chicken Whisperer's Guide to Keeping Chickens, by Andy Schneider
The Chicken Whisperer's Guide to Keeping Chickens, Revised: Everything you need to know. . . and didn't know you needed to know about backyard and urban chickens Paperback – July 15, 2017

by Andy Schneider

- Chicken Coops: The Essential Chicken Coops Guide: A Step-By-Step Guide to Planning and Building Your Own Chicken Coop (Chicken Coops For Dummies, Chicken Coop Plans, How to Build a Chicken Coop) by Andy Jacobson
-Raising Chickens: Backyard Chickens for Beginners: Choosing the Best Breed, Feeding and Care, and Raising Chickens for Eggs by Maggie Gingrich

- Raising Chickens For Dummies by Kimberley Willis and Robert T. Ludlow
- Backyard Chickens: Beginner's Guide To Feeding, Caring And Raising Chickens For Eggs: (How To Keep Chickens, Raising Chickens For Dummies, Backyard Chickens) (Raising Chickens, Feeding Chickens) by Toby Flynn
- Building Chicken Coops For Dummies by Todd Brock , David Zook, et al.
-

Wow thanks a ton! The chicken coop we’re building right now doesn’t even chicken wire so I’m pretty sure we’re good there. It’s give or take 40x59 square feet, aka it’s a monster for 8 chickens. Thanks for the books! I’ve actually read a few XP

We’ll be sure to give them extra perches and toys. We can use our local gardens and farms to get them plenty of good food instead of the bull they sell at that retched petco. We have 3 aces of land they can run on during the day as well. But this was really helpful! Have a nice day!

The only thing I have to add is about your two meat birds...
What breed are they?
If they're any of the ranger or colored broiler breeds, they'll be fine and hens WILL actually lay very well. The ones I've known lay a huge cinder block of an egg 4 to 5 a week.

If, however, they're White Cornish Crosses, you need to restrict their diet, keep it low low low protein till they're grown and give the room and motivation to keep moving. They are designed to be butchered at 8 to 16 weeks and will sit and eat and put on weight until they literally cant move and their bodies collapse and suffocate under their own muscle mass. Like a beached whale.

Feed them sparingly when young and keep them moving, though, and they CAN make wonderful pet birds.
'Possum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby magnapinna » Wed May 15, 2019 11:55 pm

recently got 4 hens from an factory farm ( rescued.), which all 4 recently escaped and is living their life :P
apparantly they made a hole in the net where all 4 escaped thru.
magnapinna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CakeRetake » Thu May 16, 2019 3:23 am

Username: CakeRetake
Why are you joining: I own chickens, and I love poultry!
Favorite poultry bird: Chicken
Other: Uhh, Hi? :lol:
I have a flock of Icelandic Chickens and would love to be able to share stories and such about them.
CakeRetake

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby magnapinna » Wed May 29, 2019 12:21 am

today i woke up and heard my chickens being absolutley scared to death and i saw a fox, probably a tod, pacing back and forth in the chicken yard and 3-4 hens including my rooster in a corner.
the only losses so far is a hen and i suspect a hen who i got lately.

yes, the fox got out and the chickens are fine for now, rooster keeping an watch over his girls

-pfp by lifora
magnapinna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Boneabii » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:54 pm

Username: Boneabii
Why are you joining: I got some aggresive, mean chickens.
Favorite poultry bird: Chickens
Other: My 2 chickens are Wyandotte and Easter Egger. EE is named Strawberry and Wyan is Sprout

So, I live in a busy city. My chickens are good layers, but are super mean. We also have mice in our house and coop, and I actually saw Strawberry eat a dead mouse. She didn't get sick, thank goodness, but I bet she was just plain lucky. More about the meaness and aggresive. I walked into the coop to check that the water was full, and Strawberry walked up to me and pecked my butt! A mouse bit me, and it bled a lot. Whaddaya know, Sprout, who is accros the yard, catches sight of the blood and tries to kill my finger. They constantly chase and bite us, and I can't fill water, or collect eggs, ect. without them trying to chase us out. I know that some of this isn't uncommon behavior, but I can't call a chicken trainer. The dog is like a mother to them, and he's gotten pecked on his ankles, and I'm afraid that if he gets pecked too many times, one day, he might lose it. I've heard stories where dogs who are totally fine with chickens one day kill or injure one. I have embarassed myself by walking to a neighbors house barefoot, and asking them to get
my chickens out of their yard. I have tried to keep them in their turf, but they keep using their chick light-ness to fly over fences and scaring cats. I am afraid to lock them in the coop because they could eat a live mouse, and they are extra cranky when I keep them confined. Too risky to put poison or kill traps in there, and the no-kill traps I put there, the mice don't fall for it. My chickens also stick their nosy little beaks in there, too. My parents just say, "Save up your own money. Those aren't ours! You wanted them!"
So, any similar experiances or suggestions for help? I really need it.

I just read this over and it sounds ridiculous. :what:
Boneabii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby magnapinna » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:27 pm

Boneabii wrote:Username: Boneabii
Why are you joining: I got some aggresive, mean chickens.
Favorite poultry bird: Chickens
Other: My 2 chickens are Wyandotte and Easter Egger. EE is named Strawberry and Wyan is Sprout

So, I live in a busy city. My chickens are good layers, but are super mean. We also have mice in our house and coop, and I actually saw Strawberry eat a dead mouse. She didn't get sick, thank goodness, but I bet she was just plain lucky. More about the meaness and aggresive. I walked into the coop to check that the water was full, and Strawberry walked up to me and pecked my butt! A mouse bit me, and it bled a lot. Whaddaya know, Sprout, who is accros the yard, catches sight of the blood and tries to kill my finger. They constantly chase and bite us, and I can't fill water, or collect eggs, ect. without them trying to chase us out. I know that some of this isn't uncommon behavior, but I can't call a chicken trainer. The dog is like a mother to them, and he's gotten pecked on his ankles, and I'm afraid that if he gets pecked too many times, one day, he might lose it. I've heard stories where dogs who are totally fine with chickens one day kill or injure one. I have embarassed myself by walking to a neighbors house barefoot, and asking them to get
my chickens out of their yard. I have tried to keep them in their turf, but they keep using their chick light-ness to fly over fences and scaring cats. I am afraid to lock them in the coop because they could eat a live mouse, and they are extra cranky when I keep them confined. Too risky to put poison or kill traps in there, and the no-kill traps I put there, the mice don't fall for it. My chickens also stick their nosy little beaks in there, too. My parents just say, "Save up your own money. Those aren't ours! You wanted them!"
So, any similar experiances or suggestions for help? I really need it.

I just read this over and it sounds ridiculous. :what:

chickens are omnivores, it will be near impossible to avoid them eat a mouse now and then since they eat whatever they come across that is smaller than them.
i would recommend spending time outside of their chicken yard and talk to them, it has always been quite an success for me when i tried to get closer to my chickens.

the color red may attract the chickens since its a sign of blood / injury, and is the reason why you should seperate injured hens from the flock until they have healed to avoid the flock seeing red, giving them the signal to peck at it.
Last edited by magnapinna on Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
magnapinna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Boneabii » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:37 pm

Thank you, I'll try that when it isn't midnight here. I'm gonna read them the book I got on the history of chickens. I'll remind myself to give them a meat treat so they aren't as tempted to eat dead mice. If they ever find one again. Or a cat toy.
Boneabii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:18 am

Chickens are literally mini raptors. Ive seen mine go after and eat lizards, mice, and song birds that get into their coop (didnt eat those). My neighbors birds have killed and eaten snakes. They wont get sick from it, its what theyre designed to do.

Also, if they are flying the coop, lol, I’d clip their wings to prevent it.
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes