The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby Kisiel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:55 am

.Middy. wrote:
Lots of DWS, a undermarked variegated, and a BEW! I’ve always wanted a BEW, I’m so excited lol

Goodness, BEW are a banned variety in the UK (for good reasons) so it's not something I've ever seen. Hairless are actually also banned but that's another story. Do you have any pictures of the BEW? I imagine it's very similar to ivory which is a very beautiful variety, although quite rare around here.

I may have already asked you this a while back (sorry, memory fails me), but what are your breeding goals?
Stay positive.

Kisiel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:30 am

.Middy. wrote:snip

Lots of DWS, a undermarked variegated, and a BEW! I’ve always wanted a BEW, I’m so excited lol

They are so cute oh my goodness!!! Did you name them?

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:26 am

I don’t have any good pics of the does yet, but here’s one from her breeder.

Why is BEW banned? I swear I’ve seen BEW in the UK...

These guys will be part of my new DWS line, though I am tempted to make a separate BEW line since I do love them so much haha. My main goal is always improving on temperament in each generation, and working on health. The undermarked variegated doe will be bred to my undermarked variegated buck to prove that he’s variegated and velveteen like we think.

And nope not named yet. I’m horrble at naming them, so it will probably be ages before I get them all named lol. I’ll probably get a friend to name them if I can’t think of anything lol.
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Lost Gremlin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:52 am

.Middy. wrote:I don’t have any good pics of the does yet, but here’s one from her breeder.

Why is BEW banned? I swear I’ve seen BEW in the UK...

These guys will be part of my new DWS line, though I am tempted to make a separate BEW line since I do love them so much haha. My main goal is always improving on temperament in each generation, and working on health. The undermarked variegated doe will be bred to my undermarked variegated buck to prove that he’s variegated and velveteen like we think.

And nope not named yet. I’m horrble at naming them, so it will probably be ages before I get them all named lol. I’ll probably get a friend to name them if I can’t think of anything lol.

I don't think BEW are outright banned as I'm almost certain I've seen a few before, but I hear they're not allowed to be shown at NFRS shows and the such due to the fact that they are apparently extremely prone to epilepsy and deafness, among other health issues. At least that's what a rather angry breeder told me when I mentioned that I too really quite liked BEWs on a forum some time ago.
The Lost Gremlin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:26 am

Yeah that’s what I found when I checked with a friend and did some checking into it. I don’t really know anyone in the UK, so it’s not something that’s ever really come up to me. I just knew I saw someone with some in the UK before lol
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby halloween.egg » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:45 am

i've got four rattie boys! once i have enough money to get a dcn (Double CritterNation, an amazing cage) i'm gonna get a few more!

i've got hamilton, who's my oldest. he's approximately 2.5 years old, and i adopted him from my local pet store. he was kept in a tank in terrible conditions as a breeder his whole life, so he's got a lot of health issues - but he's such a sweet boy, and i love him to death. he's almost always with me, sleeping on my shoulder <3 he's a siamese dumbo.

then we've got laurens and lafayette - my two middle boys. they're brothers from the same litter. laurens is a ruby eyed tan hooded, and lafayette is a black hooded. i adopted them from the same pet store as hamilton (along with my fourth boy, who i'll get to soon!) and at first they were both very timid. lafayette is my mother's heart rat, and they get along so perfectly. he leaps into her shirt from the cage and it's hilarious! laurens is my houdini, he's gotten out of his cage three times and he never wants to go back haha. they're both approximately 2 and a half months old.

my newest baby is named hercules, and he's only a month old. i've had him for almost a week. he's a black berkshire, and he's so adorable. he was weaned at only 2 weeks, which is super dangerous. i felt almost guilty adopting him so early but i wanted to save him from being fed to a snake (don't get me wrong, i love snakes - but i could never own one after having rats). he's actually doing wonderful! he's very sweet, he burrows into my shirt and he grooms my nose constantly. he's my baby, and i fell in love with him instantly. when i was playing with the babies in the pet store, he was the only one that wasn't timid. he ran right up my arm and onto my shoulder, and started bruxing and grooming me! i'm so happy <3

i don't have any pictures on my computer, sadly. but these boys are the light of my life <3

heyo! i'm em. i'm kind of a massive mess. i love bts
more than i love myself, and my biases are yoongi and
taehyung. i also love broadway! feel free to message me<3

[credit | tracking | trade | pixel credit]

halloween.egg

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:00 am

halloween.egg wrote:i've got four rattie boys! once i have enough money to get a dcn (Double CritterNation, an amazing cage) i'm gonna get a few more!

I could never have snakes for the same reason! I love them, but after owning rats, no way!
      Your boys sound cute. Perhaps you could adopt from a breeder instead of the pet store? Just a suggestion. That's definitely what I plan to do for my next boys.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eevee » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:36 am

Any name suggestions for my new baby boy?? <3

Eevee / Formerly Bleedingjay
looking to complete
my item collection. Any wl
items are greatly appreciated.
currently looking for dreamies:
pps malk dragon, td coontail, ba and bmd
I hoard B&W border collies and Grey Border Collies.
Please trade me them!

Eevee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MotherMother » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:47 pm

@Bleedingjay oh my gosh so cute!! Maybe Brook or River, because the white marking on his face kind of looks like a brook/river?

------

a
r
t

b
y

K
u
r
a
i.
Image Image
MotherMother

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mediocre mackerel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:39 pm

MotherMother wrote:@Bleedingjay oh my gosh so cute!! Maybe Brook or River, because the white marking on his face kind of looks like a brook/river?

Agreed!!!

platy she/her
came back for the oekaki (again)

insta gallery artfight
mediocre mackerel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me