The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby pizzas and scream » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:45 pm

you who all enjoy the rodent. are not pet rodents as clean as pet ones? there is talk of how much cleaner mice and rat are than human, because they groom a lot. but you would never do unwise things like let them run around where you eat and prepare food, and not clean it. right? a fancy mouse that has been crawling around your food, are less germy than a wild one?
LF pet to be ||Kimmy Shmit|Roy Mustang||Ban Midou|jason mendoza(the good place)|maes hughes|Krylancelo Finrandi|
-----------------------------
older than an embryo
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
pizzas and scream

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby womp womp » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:17 pm

so i've primarily just been using carefresh + aspen for my hamsters bedding lately, but i've been poking around to see what other beddings there are. i've noticed a few other brands that are quite less expensive than carefresh, though i'm wondering how good they are? :0 i still have a good supply of my ham's current bedding but if i do end up switching i'd love to know how well these bedding work!

the ones in question are healthy pet crittercare and premier pet uber. i'd expect crittercare to be pretty similar to carefresh though since they're both by the same company (healthy pet) but i'd love to know any pros/cons/differences with carefresh for these two brands ! [for reference, these are what they look like: crittercare and uber
    ]
womp womp

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Valac » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:39 am

I need some serious advice.. Is it a bad idea to out of the blue decide to buy a rodent? My guinea pig who i've owned for almost 8 years passed away a couple days ago and honestly I'm not taking it to well... I was hoping maybe getting a new animal might help fill that void my previous pig left and help with the pain. My local shelter has three lovely male rats that I was considering getting.. I'd put them on hold while I'd get a cage set up.
I've researched rats for years and have been planning getting some for quite a while now.. and maybe now is the time? (It should be noted I know everything about basic care, life-span, etc, I know the commitment i'd be making)

I don't know if I should wait or go for it? Is buying out of grief irrational or could it help?

Thanks to anyone who might respond.

Returning player. Not sure whats going on anymore
Valac

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .cherry blossom. » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:55 am

LizardsAreLovely wrote:I need some serious advice.. Is it a bad idea to out of the blue decide to buy a rodent? My guinea pig who i've owned for almost 8 years passed away a couple days ago and honestly I'm not taking it to well... I was hoping maybe getting a new animal might help fill that void my previous pig left and help with the pain. My local shelter has three lovely male rats that I was considering getting.. I'd put them on hold while I'd get a cage set up.
I've researched rats for years and have been planning getting some for quite a while now.. and maybe now is the time? (It should be noted I know everything about basic care, life-span, etc, I know the commitment i'd be making)

I don't know if I should wait or go for it? Is buying out of grief irrational or could it help?

Thanks to anyone who might respond.

I've been in a same situation. My best response to greif due to the passing of a pet is to buy another soon to distract me and give me something to do other than mourn. I think it is fine to abruptly buy a pet out of greif, as long as you are prepared for the responsibility. I hope this helps c:
.cherry blossom.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:31 am

I had to rehome my sweet boy just over a week ago. My allergies developed into something more serious and I had to part with him, for my benefit and his own. He's living with a lovely lady now and has new cagemates and friends. I miss him terribly and I'm sad I will no longer be able to have rats in my life, but I'm glad he was happy. My heart rat will live a great senior life <3

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cswolf. » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:44 am

Sometimes I miss having rodents so this thread is amazing because I can get my fill of rodent cuteness by scrolling through all of these photos of all of your cute little babies.
lurkin!

CATCHING UP MY REMAINING LOLO MESSAGES <3
THANKS ALL FOR VISITING ME :)
cswolf.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nuvola » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:16 pm

these are my two fancy mice, honey (short for honey bee because of his color) and beau!
I haven’t posted picture of them on here before, but I just got them a new cage topper
and they seem to really love it, so I wanted them to shine! also because it’s New Years.
does anybody have any suggestions for toys for these guys? I have the wooden cube, some
wood sticks, a wooden ball, and a wheel, but I kinda wanted some other things for them?
Idk hdbsjdns

(I went to the pet store today and I saw this absolutley ADORABLE blonde and white mouse
and I have to restrain myself from buying him hdbjwhrhjw ALSO THE FERRETS WERE PRECIOUS)
Imagexx Imagexx Imagexx Image
𝐌𝐀𝐊𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐌 𝐀 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐘;
𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐈𝐋𝐋 𝐁𝐄𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐓𝐑𝐔𝐓𝐇
███████████
hi! call me nuvola or momo ♥️
adult. libra. wildlife eco. she/her
my bees. vault. ruin

- -- ─────────────── -- -
nuvola

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby satuurnity » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:41 am

nuvola wrote:

these are my two fancy mice, honey (short for honey bee because of his color) and beau!
I haven’t posted picture of them on here before, but I just got them a new cage topper
and they seem to really love it, so I wanted them to shine! also because it’s New Years.
does anybody have any suggestions for toys for these guys? I have the wooden cube, some
wood sticks, a wooden ball, and a wheel, but I kinda wanted some other things for them?
Idk hdbsjdns

(I went to the pet store today and I saw this absolutley ADORABLE blonde and white mouse
and I have to restrain myself from buying him hdbjwhrhjw ALSO THE FERRETS WERE PRECIOUS)

I'm not sure if mice will like them or not, but my hamster loves the Rosewood climbing frames and houses. Amazon has quite a few of them if you're interested c:
satuurnity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby monsteras. » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:25 pm

well, it turns out the female guinea pig i bought from the pet store is pregnant. any tips and advice is very much appreciated.
monsteras.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bluesky213 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:53 am

bow.and.arrow wrote:
    well, it turns out the female guinea pig i bought from the pet store is pregnant. any tips and advice is very much appreciated.

Are you planning to keep them? If so, make sure you have adequate cage room, they require a ton of space. The guidelines are easy to find online as I can't remember off the top of my head.

If you're not planning on keeping them I know many places have guinea pig rescues, perhaps you could search around online or on Facebook for something like that?
Bluesky213

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me