The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby The Lost Gremlin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:55 am

Kisiel wrote:
Harlow. wrote:
In Gordon's Best Interest I'm Trying to find Him a New Home
Because Of His aggression Towards Other rats He Needs a home
with people to Play with Him more than I can, The Other
Boys Would appreciate The Extra Room Gordon Would Leave
Behind. I believe A friend Of Mine Is taking Gordon So I'm exited
to Provide Him a better home, while also Being Able to say
Hello To Him If I'd Like.

Sounds like he needs neutering, not rehoming. Hormonal aggression is a health issue and requires medical attention from a vet, which will still be the case in his new home.

I second that with the neutering. If you can find a good vet who can do it and if Gordon is up to it health-wise, it would certainly be worth trying.
I had a rescue called Memphis whom was hyper aggressive towards other rats. I had him neutered, introduced him to a pair of girls and he became the happiest most chilled rat I had at the time. Never bit another rat ever again for as long as I had him.
The Lost Gremlin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ghostmaker » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:28 am

hey !!

i've been wondering abt what food brand + water bottle to get for one (possibly two) dwarf hamster.

i've been looking at higgins, is that alright for food??
      i don't know which water bottles leak or not, and if they are chewable, so any help with that would be appreciated.

don't worry, i've done a lot of research !! i'm getting carefresh bedding, most likely a detolf cage, many safe toys, a big enough wheel so their backs aren't arching, a travel cage, plenty of wooden chews, and i'm looking to find a hamster vet c:
ghostmaker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:01 am

I would rather rehome my rat than possibly kill him. He's too old.
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ryukrem » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:25 am

Harlow. wrote:
Popping In to share a Danny Picture! He's Getting Big!!

This is the cutest little ham oh my.

ryukrem - lesbian - taken <3

prefer to roleplay off site. pm me.

roleplay search
ryukrem

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:50 pm

I can Hear my rats boggling
in the other room. Wonder whats got them
so happy? I dunno but hearing them happy
makes me happy lol.
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FLYBOY » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:03 am

I don't currently own any rodents but I've had rats and guinea pigs before.
I actually used to work for a rat rescue- the rescue would take in rats rescued from poor living conditions, once they were fixed and cleared of any illnesses or injuries we'd take them in until someone was interested in adopting them. It was pretty cool to work with them, & less commitment than actually owning rats, once we decided we were done we didn't have to rehome them, just found our current foster rats a home & then didn't take on any more. I'd totally recommend fostering to anyone else who likes rodents!
xxxxxxxxx
┌──────────────┐
link • eldemore
link • link

────── ──────

male // bi // 18+ // usa
↠formerly rebel scum, reyes, ellis.
↠just here for the rp
↠ trying to finish my eldemore wishlist

└──────────────┘
FLYBOY

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:16 am

Good and bad news in my world lately.

One of my best mouse sires (an up and comer, Gold Rush) has two litters down right now. They're coloring up and I am -so- excited to see what they look like. They are the first out of him and I can't even handle how excited I am. One is off a black tan doe and the other is a linebreed to his sister so I expect a lot of satin short ear beige pieds. So far it looks like 3 black tan and 3 banded and blazed blacks off the first litter, the second being so light often won't color out distinctively until day 6 or more and they're only day 3.

Cash, my favorite mouse buck and Gold Rush's Father and great grandfather (Gold Rush was linebred to produce him) passed on last week. I miss him. Abdominal cancer. He was an old boy and he was comfortable up to the end but I miss him anyway.

And one of my favorite rats isn't far behind. She's got tumors in her uterus. That's the hard thing with rodents..they live such short lives.
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
"No one deserves my world quite like you do
And it's true, I hate everything but you."
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ryukrem » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:37 am

Harlow. wrote:I can Hear my rats boggling
in the other room. Wonder whats got them
so happy? I dunno but hearing them happy
makes me happy lol.

Boggling is my favourite sound they make. It's music to my ears!
FLYBOY wrote:I don't currently own any rodents but I've had rats and guinea pigs before.
I actually used to work for a rat rescue- the rescue would take in rats rescued from poor living conditions, once they were fixed and cleared of any illnesses or injuries we'd take them in until someone was interested in adopting them. It was pretty cool to work with them, & less commitment than actually owning rats, once we decided we were done we didn't have to rehome them, just found our current foster rats a home & then didn't take on any more. I'd totally recommend fostering to anyone else who likes rodents!

Wow that sounds so incredible! When I eventually get my own home, hopefully within the next three-four years, I plan to be a foster/rescuer for rats and reptiles.
MoonfallTheFox wrote:Good and bad news in my world lately.

One of my best mouse sires (an up and comer, Gold Rush) has two litters down right now. They're coloring up and I am -so- excited to see what they look like. They are the first out of him and I can't even handle how excited I am. One is off a black tan doe and the other is a linebreed to his sister so I expect a lot of satin short ear beige pieds. So far it looks like 3 black tan and 3 banded and blazed blacks off the first litter, the second being so light often won't color out distinctively until day 6 or more and they're only day 3.

Cash, my favorite mouse buck and Gold Rush's Father and great grandfather (Gold Rush was linebred to produce him) passed on last week. I miss him. Abdominal cancer. He was an old boy and he was comfortable up to the end but I miss him anyway.

And one of my favorite rats isn't far behind. She's got tumors in her uterus. That's the hard thing with rodents..they live such short lives.

Congrats on the new babies and I'm very sorry for your loss and sorry to hear about your rat :c

ryukrem - lesbian - taken <3

prefer to roleplay off site. pm me.

roleplay search
ryukrem

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cardboardteeth » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:42 am

my pet mouse, saluki, just died last night,, he was having seizures and before he went he was hopping instead of walking,, does anyone know what could have happened to him?? I miss him so much and I want to know if I did something wrong,,
mokiemeekie is my sister
very very inactive
cardboardteeth

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

!!!

Postby w0ah » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:52 pm

eggnoi wrote:
my pet mouse, saluki, just died last night,, he was having seizures and before he went he was hopping instead of walking,, does anyone know what could have happened to him?? I miss him so much and I want to know if I did something wrong,,

@eggnoi : I'm so sorry for your mouse Saluki. I too know what it feels like to lose mice. Even though they are such small, innocent creatures, you are able to bond with them so easily. It's such a shame they do not live longer, but the time they do have on this Earth is well spent, and they sure make a lasting impression.

You most likely did nothing wrong. I'm sure you gave him the best life you could provide, one rather then becoming someone's snake food, or worse. When mice age, their bodies will start to not function properly and slow down. Their organs will start to shut down. Your mouse was most likely dying of natural causes.

May I ask, how old was Saluki? If he was younger, it may have been from a sickness. But if he was older, it was most likely old age.

-------

I got my three females, Mary, Edith, & Sybil, about two and a half weeks ago. So far all has been well. I was easily able to wean them off of their old food that had no nutritional value, and have them on a much more efficient seed and lab block diet. They love to get fed. Mary, the largest of the females, will crawl up on one of their shelves and jump in my hand. She gets really adventurous at night, especially when I haven't fed them yet. I wonder if she's trying to tell me something... ( "feed me human!" ). They love their tank, especially since I have it arranged and decorated in a way to make it more interesting, with lots of surfaces to climb up on, and DIY hammocks they seem to really enjoy. This comes to show that even though I don't have the biggest tank ( i have them in a 20 gallon ), they can still enjoy it and feel as if they have enough space. I think of their tank as like a place they would nest in the wild, and typically stick around in the same area.

As time goes on, I can start to see the personality of the mice come out. Mary is definitely their "matriarch", as I like to say. She seems to control and boss around the other two whenever they are out together, and is definitely the more adventurous one. Edith is also very sweet, but shy. She loves to get in my hand, but at other times she will shy away from me. Sybil is the only little brown mouse, as well as the smallest, and she is the most cautious of them all. I rarely get to hold her, but it had only been two weeks, so I'm still hopeful. I think she'll eventually come out of her shell, and become more adventurous like her companions are.

I'm so happy to have them, and I'm hoping for many more memories. Here are a few pictures of them:
      Mary
      Edith
      & Sybil, x

Tell me which one is your favorite!
w0ah

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me