The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby windsorblue17 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:33 pm

Do you love little rat kisses and mouse tails? How about a cuddling hamster or a squealing guinea pig? Us too! Welcome, fellow Brodents! Here we can discuss all kinds of things! Got a new rodent you want to share? We want to see! A problem? We'll help! Come one and come all!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Before purchasing any type of pet: Remember a living, breathing is now yours to take care of. Not your Mom, not your Dad, YOU. Think to yourself: would you rather be responsible for a long, knowledgeable life or a short, spur-of-the-moment life? Exactly. Do the world a favor and do your research.

Owner: Timber.
Co-Owner: Animalzrock123
Suggestions, questions, or concerns go to one of the two!
Last edited by windsorblue17 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
windsorblue17

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

The Rodents!

Postby windsorblue17 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:33 pm

C H I N C H I L L A S wrote:Chinchilla FAQ! With gentle handling from a young age most chinchillas will become quite tame and bond closely with their owners, although sometimes they do not like to be held or cuddled. They are very active and playful. Chinchillas can be kept singly, and usually will do fine as same sex pairs especially if they are litter mates or introduced at a young age. Read more.

D E G U S wrote:Degu FAQ! Degus are very social animals and can become very tame if handled from an early age. However, they do best if kept with other degus because of their social nature. They are playful and curious. Without social interaction and opportunity for exercise, they can be aggressive and neurotic. Degus are diurnal (active during the day). In the wild they live in communities (much like prairie dogs) and dig an elaborate system of burrows to live in. Read more.

G E R B I L S wrote:Gerbil FAQ! Gerbils are social animals, living in colonies in the wild, so do not do well as a solitary pet. Keeping a same sex pair (litter mates usually do well together) is much preferred. They generally have a pretty agreeable temperament and are generally only inclined to bite if feeling threatened. Read more. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

G U I N E A P I G S wrote: Guinea Pig FAQ! Guinea pigs are popular pets, especially for families, largely due to their wonderful temperaments. They are social and rarely bite, even when stressed. They do need a large cage and opportunity to exercise outside of the cage, and they need a diet that provides adequate vitamin C and roughage. Read more.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

H A M S T E R S wrote:Hamster FAQ! Hamsters are popular pets for children but they aren't always the best pet for small hands. Different breeds are known for different traits and any potential owner to be should learn about the choices they have before picking one out to take home. Read more. And more!

M I C E wrote:Mice FAQ! Mice are nocturnal and very social. They will be very active in the evening and night, but don't expect to do much with them during the day. Being social, they are best kept in groups. A pair of females is the easiest, although larger groups are fine if you provide the cage space.Read more.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

R A T S wrote: Rat FAQ! Rats are intelligent, social animals that can make wonderful pets.
They are easily tamed and relatively easy to care for, but are not low maintenance pets. Rats require a fair amount of attention and exercise time outside of their cages (at least an hour a day is ideal). They are very social and should never be kept alone. Same sex pairs or groups are ideal. Read more.
Last edited by windsorblue17 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
windsorblue17

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

The Gallery!

Postby windsorblue17 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:34 pm

No longer accepting!

(( Please only post personal photos of your rodents. If a picture is just an example of what your pet looks like, be sure to say so! It's not fair to claim a picture is of your pet when it's really not. Thank you! ))

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Pepsi and Cola: Owned by Timber.

Kiku, Yami, Kasey, Keegan, Hiroki. Owned by: Scarlet-Love97

Momo Owned by: Snail with a top hat

Bernard and Navin Owned by: { sureile. }

Sugar, Spice, and Freckle Owned by: Greeenspice

Ben and Jerry, Unnamed (We are aware she is not a rodent, but there is no hedgehog thread so it's alright) Timber, Minnie, Ripple, & Anastasia Owned by Animalzrock123

Coffee & Mason Owned by: MasonSteele

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

In Memory Of...

This section is to honor all of the lives lost. If you've recently lost a rodent and want their names here, pm me. Include their name, species, and a description of their personality or a memory (optional). You may also include a personal message to your deceased pet.

No longer accepting. Sorry to anybody who sent in requests - I am not active.

Snowy & Silver - Roborovski Dwarf hamsters
Mud - The young Chinese Dwarf hamster

Last edited by windsorblue17 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:10 am, edited 16 times in total.
windsorblue17

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: The Gallery!

Postby little rowzerz » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:38 pm

Timber. wrote:
Do you want your picture in the gallery? Simply send me a private message with the subject "gallery," with a picture of your rodents and their names. I'll do the rest!

Pepsi and Cola: Owned by Timber.

They are adorable!! I wish I had rats, but I have my hands full with guinea pigs and dogs(plus will be getting a rabbit). I think they are cute. :) I used to have a teddy bear hamster named Cinnamon, but he passed away May 24th, 2013. :cry: Rest In Peace Hammy.
Please check out my goat thread in the Animal Chatter forum, it has a poll for extra fun: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1765712
Jesus <3ImageImage
THANK YOU so much, Depressed Shadows for my dreamie!!
My biggest gift: 137 pets(all wish list) and 53 items(all wish list)! :D
little rowzerz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby .Middy. » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:45 pm

What color would your rats be? I can't tell from the pic. (I'm still learning to recognize the colors by sight, but give me a genetic code and I can tell you the color lol.)
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby windsorblue17 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:51 pm

~•MidnightDreamer•~ wrote:What color would your rats be? I can't tell from the pic. (I'm still learning to recognize the colors by sight, but give me a genetic code and I can tell you the color lol.)

I'm actually not sure. They are very interesting colors, definitely nowhere near solid or easily identifiable. Cola (though you can't tell in the picture their actual fur colors, the light washes them out) is mainly agouti, though he has a light grey undercoat. Pepsi is most blue, but he has different shades around his body. I'm no expert, I'd just call them agouti and blue agouti, I think?
windsorblue17

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Serenade~ » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:54 pm

Hi, I own and rescue Guinea Pigs and have for quite a few years. Right now I own three girls, Fus, Ro Dah, and Godric. I've owned a rat before and love them, I plan on getting a pair at some point.

Just thought I'd correct something though "...largely due to their wonderful temperaments. They are social and rarely bite, even when stressed." They are prey animals and tend to see humans as huge predators and most guinea pigs take quite a while (If ever) to even not be scared of them. Most guinea pigs aren't really social with people, more their own kind which is why they should at least be kept in pairs. I've had my five/six year old (Godric) since she was a baby and she still loathes being held and picked up, even after all these years. :lol: She'll bite occasionally so I have to hold her in a way she can't get to my fingers.

Some pigtures :)

Godric

Fus

Ro Dah

Nova (One of the pigs I rescued and adopted out)

~Serenade~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby n e m o » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:57 pm

^ Godric is such a cutie!!

New thread deserves a photo of the new fleece I put in. c:

And a pic of brothers sharing some nibbles.

And this cute little gremlin being squishable.
Last edited by n e m o on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
v i s i t . m y . c h a r a c t e r . t h r e a d ?
v i s i t . m y . W M E . t h r e a d ?
v i s i t . b l o o m . d a p p l e . a d o p t s ? [ c l o s e d ]

ImageImage
n e m o

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby windsorblue17 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:59 pm

~Serenade~ wrote:Hi, I own and rescue Guinea Pigs and have for quite a few years. Right now I own three girls, Fus, Ro Dah, and Godric. I've owned a rat before and love them, I plan on getting a pair at some point.

Just thought I'd correct something though "...largely due to their wonderful temperaments. They are social and rarely bite, even when stressed." They are prey animals and tend to see humans as huge predators and most guinea pigs take quite a while (If ever) to even not be scared of them. Most guinea pigs aren't really social with people, more their own kind which is why they should at least be kept in pairs. I've had my five/six year old (Godric) since she was a baby and she still loathes being held and picked up, even after all these years. :lol: She'll bite occasionally so I have to hold her in a way she can't get to my fingers.

Thanks for the information and lovely pictures- would you like them to be added to the gallery?

Also, I don't know much about guinea pigs, personally. How would you like me to change the information? c:

N e m o - awesome set up, awesome cage, awesome rats! :D
windsorblue17

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby n e m o » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:01 pm

Thanks! ^_^ <3
It's still pretty boring because I don't want to get new toys until I'm done medicating them, so all the old toys got tossed... looking forward to making it more fun for them once everyone is feeling better!

That cage up top is their new travel cage but I leave it open because Spock (the gremlin) in specific loves to climb up there and play in it... strange little creature.
Last edited by n e m o on Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
v i s i t . m y . c h a r a c t e r . t h r e a d ?
v i s i t . m y . W M E . t h r e a d ?
v i s i t . b l o o m . d a p p l e . a d o p t s ? [ c l o s e d ]

ImageImage
n e m o

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me