The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby .cherry blossom. » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:59 am

I'm so excited....!
I have a male and female hamster, and I've been thinking about breeding them for a while now. Loki is brown and white, slightly long hair, Maybelle is a natural colored bab.They're both about five months now, and I'm very excited to breed them. To start, I put a piece of their bedding in each others cage, I let them sniff it. I repeated this for about a week, then let them smell each other, my girl was in her ball, and my boy Loki was in a free run. Yesterday when I placed Loki's litter into Maybelle's cage, she got very excited. She usually just sniffed it, then took it into her den, but today she got very alert and started running around her cage, tail raised (a hamster sign that a female is in heat). When I put Maybelle's litter into Loki's cage, he also got very excited and squeaked at me (he's a very chatty boy). I was super busy yesterday, so I didn't put them together, but I'm going to try on Wednsday if Maybelle shows she's in heat. Does anybody have any tips on breeding? And how much time breeding should take?
.cherry blossom.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:43 pm

The Enchantress wrote:I'm so excited....!
I have a male and female hamster, and I've been thinking about breeding them for a while now. Loki is brown and white, slightly long hair, Maybelle is a natural colored bab.They're both about five months now, and I'm very excited to breed them. To start, I put a piece of their bedding in each others cage, I let them sniff it. I repeated this for about a week, then let them smell each other, my girl was in her ball, and my boy Loki was in a free run. Yesterday when I placed Loki's litter into Maybelle's cage, she got very excited. She usually just sniffed it, then took it into her den, but today she got very alert and started running around her cage, tail raised (a hamster sign that a female is in heat). When I put Maybelle's litter into Loki's cage, he also got very excited and squeaked at me (he's a very chatty boy). I was super busy yesterday, so I didn't put them together, but I'm going to try on Wednsday if Maybelle shows she's in heat. Does anybody have any tips on breeding? And how much time breeding should take?

Please do not breed your hamsters if you do not know their backgrounds or genetic health! Breeding is very expensive and you will need to separate the babies very soon - I think it's three weeks. There can be lots of complications and you may lose not just the litter, but Maybelle as well.
    Why are you breeding? What is your goal? Where have your hamsters come from? Do you have enough appropriate size cages? Do you have the money to pay for vet bills if there are complications? Can you afford to take back any babies/keep them if they do not sell? If your hamsters are from a pet shop, if you are breeding because you want to see cute babies or make money, please do not breed! It is irresponsible to be breeding when you have not done the research. By your questions, I'd say you've not done enough and you need to stop.
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Tue May 01, 2018 3:26 am

My boys are going to make my hair fall out I swear.

Templeton had this nasty abscess on his back and Remington was lame, so I brought them both into the vet. Temp had groomed his abscess overnight before he went to the vet, so it was looking clean and was healing nicely when I brought him in. I got some antiseptic to clean it with to ensure it heals fully. As for Remington, the vet suspects a fracture in his foot, so she gave me pain medication to give him to see if it will heal on it's own. It's Metacam and he absolutely hates it xD My poor boy squeaks at me whenever I put the syringe in his mouth haha.

Question: Should I be giving Remington some form of probiotics once he is done his medication? I've heard that it's best to give your bunnies and guinea pigs probiotics after a run with medication, so should I do the same with my boys?

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby samm. » Sun May 06, 2018 4:09 am

Heyo! It's been a while since I last posted, and since then my rodent family has grown! On top of my three rats, Zeus, Zoey, and Zephere, I now am the proud owner of five mice! Ceili, which is pronounced as Kay-lee, Winston/Winny, Bruno, Sienna, and Raine are their names! I didn't get them all at once, I have some self control believe it or not lol. I got Ceili and Winny back in February, they're a pair of albinos and originally I was told they were both females, however upon closer inspection after getting them home I realized Winny was actually a male. Totally not the person who sold them to me's fault, I should've asked to get a closer look at them while I was there, rookie mistake. I got Bruno, Sienna, and Raine in April, Bruno wasn't a part of my plan, however one look at his little face and I couldn't resist. He's a light brown sort of brindle color, I call him my old man because the way he carries himself reminds me of a grumpy little old man. Sienna is a very pretty medium orange color, and Raine is a very, very light silver color. Don't tell the others, but Sienna is honestly my favorite out of the five. She is incredibly sweet, and isn't afraid of people in the least bit, even strangers! Her cage mate Raine on the other hand is terrified of her own shadow, although she has improved slightly since I got her. I should have pictures of them up sometime later today, my camera is currently charging and I might probably will end up falling asleep before its ready to use ^^;

edit: Woo, managed to get four out of five so far! Top two is Winny and Bruno, then below them is Sienna and Raine!
Image Image
Image Image
samm.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kainé » Mon May 07, 2018 3:56 pm

I would love some advice from any guinea pig owners out there.

I adopted a companion for my sow today and the person I got her from said that the previous owner kept her confined in a small dirty cage, and she is in need of socialization. She’s calm around people, but absolutely can’t handle touching or handling. I haven’t put her with my other girl yet since I would like to get her settled first. Any tips on helping her get used to me, and introducing her to my other piggie?
Kainé

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mediocre mackerel » Mon May 07, 2018 4:16 pm

hand feeding works well, and doing it at a scheduled time can make your guineas look forward to meeting you. Also, talk to them often so she knows your voice. I don't know if this would work for guinea pigs, but i've heard that if you put the 2 wannabe companions in the same cage with a see-through divider, like a metal grid, they might get used to each other's smell and such. good luck!

platy she/her
came back for the oekaki (again)

insta gallery artfight
mediocre mackerel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Tue May 08, 2018 2:44 am

this is Juarez, yes I did name her after the g-force character,,
She's a ball of sass.

I've never posted her because she doesn't do much xd
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cardboardteeth » Tue May 08, 2018 1:36 pm

hello! I have three female mice living in a 20 gallon tank, and they all love each other so much and will almost always sleep together.

They are all healthy, happy girls, and there is nothing wrong with this, but I was curious if anyone has ever experienced the same thing I'm about to talk about. I have had one of the mice, Graybird, since February, after finding out my previous mouse [who has now passed] was actually a female. She is a gorgeous girl, red eyes, long, gray coat, who is very skittish and frightened until you can pick her up. After aforementioned female mouse passed on, I knew I needed to get her a friend or two, and so I did. My other two girls, Misty and Bluebell, were feeder mice I rescued. They were already bonded, so I put them in a 10 gallon tank while I kept Graybird in her 20 until I could introduce them. During their stay in the 10 gallon, they were very sweet and would always let me pick them up no matter where they were. It stayed this way until they were bonded with Graybird and were moved into the 20 gallon - once in the 20 gallon, they became much more like Graybird, shying away from my touch and running to hide.

There is nothing wrong with this, of course, because they do not bite me, but I am just sort of perplexed. Has anyone had something like this happen to them before, or know the cause?
mokiemeekie is my sister
very very inactive
cardboardteeth

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mediocre mackerel » Tue May 08, 2018 3:03 pm

eggnoi wrote:
hello! I have three female mice living in a 20 gallon tank, and they all love each other so much and will almost always sleep together.

They are all healthy, happy girls, and there is nothing wrong with this, but I was curious if anyone has ever experienced the same thing I'm about to talk about. I have had one of the mice, Graybird, since February, after finding out my previous mouse [who has now passed] was actually a female. She is a gorgeous girl, red eyes, long, gray coat, who is very skittish and frightened until you can pick her up. After aforementioned female mouse passed on, I knew I needed to get her a friend or two, and so I did. My other two girls, Misty and Bluebell, were feeder mice I rescued. They were already bonded, so I put them in a 10 gallon tank while I kept Graybird in her 20 until I could introduce them. During their stay in the 10 gallon, they were very sweet and would always let me pick them up no matter where they were. It stayed this way until they were bonded with Graybird and were moved into the 20 gallon - once in the 20 gallon, they became much more like Graybird, shying away from my touch and running to hide.

There is nothing wrong with this, of course, because they do not bite me, but I am just sort of perplexed. Has anyone had something like this happen to them before, or know the cause?

I don't know about mice, but I do know that humans and primates have these certain things in their brains called mirror neurons. Ever get that strong urge to yawn when you see someone else yawn? It's the mirror neurons. It makes the host do what their peers around them are doing. I'm not completely sure about this in mice though. Just a proposal :)

platy she/her
came back for the oekaki (again)

insta gallery artfight
mediocre mackerel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Tue May 08, 2018 3:25 pm

So as I said I was getting 5 new piggies from my best friend on my vacation, and two of my new sows popped out three babies each! The two to the left and the tri in the middle are boars, the two blacks and the tri Dalmatian are sows! Still have one sow possibly pregnant, hoping I’ll get some babies from her soon, right now she’s being a excellent babysitter to the babies though lol
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me