The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby Freakfox_draws1416 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:13 am

I have three baby gerbils they are all sisters named Ginny,Hermione,and Luna! They are all sisters but they don’t like each other anymore so they all have separate terrariums! What kind of cages do you guys keep your gerbils in?
Freakfox_draws1416

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mierose » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:29 am

Hi all! After months of researching, preparing, and looking at tons of different hamsters, I finally got to bring my boy home last night! He's a male, long-haired Syrian named Rue who I've adopted. I've looked at and met lots of different hamsters and out of all of them, he was the calmest and sweetest. Within an hour of being home he was running on his wheel and playing with various toys/chewing chews. I was expecting him to be more stressed than he was since it's a new environment, maybe pouch his food or hide it etc., but even with me watching, he would get his food and eat it as a typical hamster would. Since it's only his second day, I'd hate to bother or stress him with a camera, but pictures will come within the week. He's currently sleeping in one of his hides (it's daytime for me) and I just love him so much. I'm ecstatic about being a hamster owner and will put everything towards making sure he has a wonderful life.
THE. SECRET. OF. LIFE. IS. TO. KEEP. LOOKING. UP

MickiJayGonny
KiffKnightDimi

Call me mier or rose | She/her | Lesbian | Sagittarius

Buttermilks

. .. .
mierose

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:58 am

Mistykeka wrote:Hi all! After months of researching, preparing, and looking at tons of different hamsters, I finally got to bring my boy home last night! He's a male, long-haired Syrian named Rue who I've adopted. I've looked at and met lots of different hamsters and out of all of them, he was the calmest and sweetest. Within an hour of being home he was running on his wheel and playing with various toys/chewing chews. I was expecting him to be more stressed than he was since it's a new environment, maybe pouch his food or hide it etc., but even with me watching, he would get his food and eat it as a typical hamster would. Since it's only his second day, I'd hate to bother or stress him with a camera, but pictures will come within the week. He's currently sleeping in one of his hides (it's daytime for me) and I just love him so much. I'm ecstatic about being a hamster owner and will put everything towards making sure he has a wonderful life.

aw!!
it's so happy to hear he's already settling in so well!
id love to see some pictures of him! sounds like such a sweet boy!

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eff » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:29 am

Hi guys! I am considering getting a robo hamster. Any info on them?
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby womp womp » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:31 am

yellow; wrote:Hi guys! I am considering getting a robo hamster. Any info on them?

ahoy :'0

i'm not really that knowledgeable when it comes to robo hamsters specifically, as i own a syrian, but there are a few facts about em i could toss here ? <3 feel free to say if any of these are incorrect, though, since i am no means an expert on robos ;0

- really cute and really tiny, lookit them !! so they're prone to slipping through small spaces, of course, and if you're thinking about getting a wired cage of sorts, make sure the bar spacing is no more than 1/4 inch

- robos can live in pairs, if you're wanting to get more than 1, but some of the time pairs won't work out, so just be prepared to separate if it ends up not working! if you're just getting one, though, ignore this one aha <3

- i'd recommend a 6.5 inch wheel for them, and according to a website i stumbled across, apparently getting a wheel too large could make them struggle while running, though i'm not 100% if that's true so !! i'd probably just stick with a 6.5 inch c:

- it would be harder to tame a robo than a syrian, due to their small size and swiftness, though they can be tamed on occasions. i've heard holding them is a bit of a struggle, and i've never held one myself, so i'd really just suggest you search that up real quick ^^

annnd there we go, hope this is at least somewhat useful in a way! ;v;
womp womp

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:42 pm

yellow; wrote:Hi guys! I am considering getting a robo hamster. Any info on them?

hello! just like the person above me, I do not own a robo but i will be getting one soon. i have some gathered info that i can share with you!

• they are the smallest breed of hamster. very swift and escape artists. they are harder to tame than the other breeds of hamster, due to their small size and swiftness. so if you're up to the challenge of taming, [ but this also means you have to spend a lot of time with your hamster! ] then go ahead :)

• robos should have an either 6.5" or 8" wheel. 6.5 seems a bit too small for some people, but an 8 inch might look too big. whichever one suits you the best. avoid getting mesh/wired wheels, as your hamsters feet could get caught. i reccomend a silent spinner.

• these sorts of hamsters [ and all hamsters ] love to burrow. id have at least two inches of substrate for them to burrow in. these little guys are from the desert, so they'd burrow to get away from predators.

• robos need a large cage to run around in. if you can't afford a large cage, a bin cage is a nice, cheap option instead. im not too sure on the size of bin cage you need, I'm pretty sure it's around 50 quart. something like this. remember, the height of the bin doesn't matter, as long as it can fit in a wheel and has enough room for the two inch substrate. you'll need to cut this bin to make room for some mesh wire, for ventilation purposes.

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eff » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:23 pm

thanks for the reply guys! I looked around for local breeders though I am far too undeducated to get one as of the moment and there are none. There are ones around a year old as a lot of people seem to be moving or their landlord says they can't keep pets (I live in an asnrea where people come and go often). Should I consider adopting an aged robo ?
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:07 am

yellow; wrote:thanks for the reply guys! I looked around for local breeders though I am far too undeducated to get one as of the moment and there are none. There are ones around a year old as a lot of people seem to be moving or their landlord says they can't keep pets (I live in an asnrea where people come and go often). Should I consider adopting an aged robo ?

roborovskis have a typical lifespan of about three years, taking good care of them of course and making sure they have the right diet and wheel size.
    so i would adopt a one year old, but it's totally up to yourself! before adopting one, I'd try to visit and see how friendly/curious/tame the hamsters are. it can also help if you decide what kind of hamster you'd like, maybe a sort of laid-back one or a super speedy one!

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yves » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:21 am

hey, so i’m only asking this for future reference but, you know.

i’ve heard of people using blankets to bed down rat cages instead of using substrate? solely because i’ve been thinking of potentially getting rats in the future, i’m curious if anyone knows the advantages and disadvantages of using blankets? i already know, obviously, the blankets would have to be washed — but i don’t know the specifics like how often etc. and would anyone necessarily recommend using substrate instead of blankets?

thank you. :^)
yves

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby eff » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:22 am

⠀⠀⠀  cosmic wrote:

hey, so i’m only asking this for future reference but, you know.

i’ve heard of people using blankets to bed down rat cages instead of using substrate? solely because i’ve been thinking of potentially getting rats in the future, i’m curious if anyone knows the advantages and disadvantages of using blankets? i already know, obviously, the blankets would have to be washed — but i don’t know the specifics like how often etc. and would anyone necessarily recommend using substrate instead of blankets?

thank you. :^)

rats urinate constantly. whilst some people are able to toilet train them, that may only be for poo, but it is a very natural thing. it is honestly a preference thing. rats get pongy, so you have to clean the cage fairly often depending on toys, amount of rats and cage size. fleece works well with all rat cages however using a looser bedding tends to get messy with mishievious rats. spot cleaning is generally easier with fleece in my opinion especially light fleece. fleece isn't that absorbant though so people do tend to use a mix of fleece and looser beddings or just plain old fleece with news paper beneath it to absorb pee. it's generally safer too as rats have such sensitive respiratory systems and fleece is very low dust.
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me