The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re:

Postby rat » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:18 pm

⠀⠀⠀  cosmic wrote:

hey, so i’m only asking this for future reference but, you know.

i’ve heard of people using blankets to bed down rat cages instead of using substrate? solely because i’ve been thinking of potentially getting rats in the future, i’m curious if anyone knows the advantages and disadvantages of using blankets? i already know, obviously, the blankets would have to be washed — but i don’t know the specifics like how often etc. and would anyone necessarily recommend using substrate instead of blankets?

thank you. :^)

i personally despise both blankets and fleece. i find they absorb ammonia and they all around don't work for me. they wouldn't be too bad for higher levels where loose substrate cannot be contained. I use a very small layer of PDZ stall refresher, a layer of pine pellets, and then a layer of kiln dried pine on top (with a sprinkle of PDZ halfway between cleanings)
..Image - fr lair - afrma - th - swe stables
    | nick
    |he/him

| i breed health tested american bullies irl :^)
    | guest artist for SWEs
rat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Re:

Postby Beans0fjelly99 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:33 pm

rat wrote:
⠀⠀⠀  cosmic wrote:

hey, so i’m only asking this for future reference but, you know.

i’ve heard of people using blankets to bed down rat cages instead of using substrate? solely because i’ve been thinking of potentially getting rats in the future, i’m curious if anyone knows the advantages and disadvantages of using blankets? i already know, obviously, the blankets would have to be washed — but i don’t know the specifics like how often etc. and would anyone necessarily recommend using substrate instead of blankets?

thank you. :^)

i personally despise both blankets and fleece. i find they absorb ammonia and they all around don't work for me. they wouldn't be too bad for higher levels where loose substrate cannot be contained. I use a very small layer of PDZ stall refresher, a layer of pine pellets, and then a layer of kiln dried pine on top (with a sprinkle of PDZ halfway between cleanings)

There are not really any studies that can prove or disprove the safety of kiln-dried pine beddings for rats, so I personally wouldn't take the risk if its avoidable. I find that fleece on top of some absorbent material like newspaper works best for the rats I have now, however I might be switching a portion of their cage to substrate because they do like to dig. The fleece is definitely safe because it's made of short strand materials and is dust free, and it's also easier to spot clean and cheaper. It needs to be washed once a week, no more or less, less and it'll get too much ammonia build up and more and the rats will overcompensate and, again, ammonia. You also have to make sure you're washing it with rat safe detergent, I typically use free & clear detergent and a bit of white vinegar.

Some people prefer substrate, it depends on personal preference mostly. There are definitely benefits and downsides to both!

┌───────────────┐

Cas || Aquarius || 18+

TRADE MEPM MEMY AUCTIONSxxx

└───────────────┘

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Beans0fjelly99

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby eff » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:06 am

hi guys! i am considering getting a syrian and have never owned any kind of small rodent like a rat, hamster or mouse before. i've done a bit of research yet don't plan on getting one any time soon. below is a few things i am considering getting, any opinions about them?

- alexander cage (here)
      - 13" wheel (here)
      - aubiose (here)
      - rosewood 3d nibbles (here)
      - supreme s. food (here)
      - small water bottle (here)

i really like the naturalistic style cages, so i don't really like the idea of carefresh. i have a few different toys from trixie, rosewood and sanwood that include puzzles, climbing and just other boredom breakers.

one quick question though:

i have a bit of room in my bedroom where the cage could be kept. i have a dresser, yet i never face my dresser and so i would prefer to be able to just watch my hamster without having to get on my tiptoes. it would also be hard to clean. i then have my cupboard, but i don't like the idea of that as the doors would have to be open for fresh air and light. and then there's my desk. about half of the desk is taken up by my monitor, my computer beneath the desk. but i heard that hamsters don't do too well with like the sound of them?
      also, my desk is right infront of a window. there is no cold drafts and i tend to keep my curtains down as i can't see the computer screen if the curtains are up. so if the curtains never really are kept open apart from sunsets/night time and there is no cold draft, will the computer affect the ham?
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nuvola » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:20 am

hey, guys!

I was wondering: would it be possible for me to add two new mice to my
      existing cage? at the moment, I own one male fancy mouse name Beau (
      whom I ADORE) and I’ve been wanting to add more mice because I’m not
      comfortable with the idea of him being alone. however, I can’t teally help
      the issue at all because I had rescued him from my job where he kept get-
      ting attacked by his litter mates. so, I’m not really sure what to do? I figu-
      red that if the new mice were young, then it would be fine. but, I’m still
      afraid he will try to fight with them. so, I came here to ask if it would be
      a good idea, or if I should leave him alone in his cage. any and all advice
      is more than welcome!! ♥️
Imagexx Imagexx Imagexx Image
𝐌𝐀𝐊𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐌 𝐀 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐘;
𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐈𝐋𝐋 𝐁𝐄𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐓𝐑𝐔𝐓𝐇
███████████
hi! call me nuvola or momo ♥️
adult. libra. wildlife eco. she/her
my bees. vault. ruin

- -- ─────────────── -- -
nuvola

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby MotherMother » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:55 am

nuvola wrote:
      hey, guys!

I was wondering: would it be possible for me to add two new mice to my
      existing cage? at the moment, I own one male fancy mouse name Beau (
      whom I ADORE) and I’ve been wanting to add more mice because I’m not
      comfortable with the idea of him being alone. however, I can’t teally help
      the issue at all because I had rescued him from my job where he kept get-
      ting attacked by his litter mates. so, I’m not really sure what to do? I figu-
      red that if the new mice were young, then it would be fine. but, I’m still
      afraid he will try to fight with them. so, I came here to ask if it would be
      a good idea, or if I should leave him alone in his cage. any and all advice
      is more than welcome!! ♥️

You should definitely try to give him some mouse friends! Mice are very sociable and like to live in groups. The key here is the introduction, you want Beau to feel curious about the new additions, not on edge because someone's in his territory. You'll need another cage, which will house the new mice before you can put them together.
First, let the new mice spend enough time in the new cage in order to get their scent in the bedding. Then, take one piece of bedding from the new cage and Beau's cage and switch them. This small amount of scent is enough for the mice to smell one another without meeting, and not too much for them to be alarmed. Over the course of a week or so, continue switching the bedding, more and more each time. Then, you can put the cages in the same room as one another. Week by week move the cages closer together, but never close enough for them to reach each other (they may try to grab each other through the bars if you're not using a tank). This should happen over 4 or so weeks, go slower if you see signs of aggression. Once they are comfortable with one another's presence, you can finally introduce them to one another where they can actually meet. Take them to a neutral territory in your house, somewhere Beau has never been before. A bathtub works if he's already been in every room. Supervise how they interact and be ready with thick gloves if you need to separate a fight without getting bit. Hopefully by now they're already used to one another's scent and don't want to fight.
Keep them in separate cages but let them interact together daily on the neutral territory. Finally, when there are no signs of aggression or fear, you can put them all in the same cage!

It's very exciting if you decide to get new mice, I hope it goes great!

------

a
r
t

b
y

K
u
r
a
i.
Image Image
MotherMother

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby HowlToTheWind » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:44 am

How do you pronounce Cuy? XD I have a pair of guineas that are Cuy-American hybrids and I don't wanna sound stupid mispronouncing Cuy lol
Cain ∙ all prns ∙ isfp ∙ capricorn
━━━━━━━━━━━━━
thstableart shopcredit
━━━━━━━━━━━━━
"stop thinking so much"
HowlToTheWind

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:12 pm

Please do not get more mice! Male mice can not live together. They will fight to the death. The only animals male mice can live with are female African soft furs. But that can be difficult as well because ASFs do not do well with adding to a existing colony, so you’d have to do it very carefully.
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:54 pm

hm, I've looked up about mice because I have an interest in them, but I'll be getting hamsters first.

but something that concerns me slightly is:
    (this is copy and pasted from the humane society of the United States)

1-3 mice need a 10-gallon aquarium
    4-5 mice need a 15-gallon aquarium
    5-6 mice need a 20-gallon aquarium.

do mice really not need that much space? I was planning on a 580sq inch cage for two mice??

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eff » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:42 am

meerkat boi. wrote:
    hm, I've looked up about mice because I have an interest in them, but I'll be getting hamsters first.

but something that concerns me slightly is:
    (this is copy and pasted from the humane society of the United States)

1-3 mice need a 10-gallon aquarium
    4-5 mice need a 15-gallon aquarium
    5-6 mice need a 20-gallon aquarium.

do mice really not need that much space? I was planning on a 580sq inch cage for two mice??

I don't think 10 gallon tanks are a lot?
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lady_Lycana » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:46 am

10 gallon tanks are fairly small and are mainly only good for quarentine when introing a new rat or mouse. I wouldnt recommend continuing the tank but looking into dcn or cages at your local pet store

I dont use them long term due to my rats and mice developing respatory issues as there is no airflow with a tank. I used hamster cages and happy trails for my mice and merry manors and dcns for my rats
Join my giveaways!
Lycana's Giveaways - April 2009 Very Rare
══════════════════════
Image/ Lycana / She/Her / Libra / Image

I see the gutter,
Feed on the foolish,
Outrun and kill the strong.
At daybreak, I roam,
Awake to who follows me.
I roam, I roam,
I am the hungry wolf.
(By: John Doe & Exene Cervenka)