The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby .Middy. » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:44 am

We have babies! I took this photo a few hours ago, and 30 minutes ago heard squeaks! She’s still in the nest so haven’t been able to look at them yet, but hopefully she gets out soon and I can count and grab a quick pic!
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:51 am

Mmm, I went to bed thinking about the chores I needed to get done regarding the rattos And I dreamt about buying them new food and cleaning their cage. I'm such a dork aha.

Also,, Salvador has a tumor in his abdomen and I don't know how much longer he's got?? It makes me tear up thinking about it. I love him so much gahh
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jade, » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:22 am

Cocoa, my second hamster, died today. She was becoming thinner and thinner and today I was playing with marshmallow, my second hamster, and when I went to do the same to cocoa, she was under the wheel, still, stiff and not breathing. She will be forever loved, just like snowball. Rip my dearest, closest friend. My message to you guys, love your pets before he or she is gone forever. Thank you for all the support I could get, and as i said,

cocoa, you will be forever loved.

★ ★ ███████████████
𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐒 ────────

jay | she/her | sep. 2
hihi im jade/jay, im n
ot very active on this
site anymore but still
feel free to pm me <3

██
██
██
██

────── 𝐌𝐔𝐑𝐀𝐋𝐒 𝐎𝐍
██
██
██
██
──────────
coding shop
art shop
coding cred

──────────
██
██
██
██

█████████
────────┐

───────
████
─────𝐁𝐔𝐓
jade,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby synastry » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:32 am

mellifluous. wrote:
      hey everyone !!!

so, my parents have been open about getting me a hamster, but they're worried about two main things:
      • the short lifespan of the hamster and how i'll be affected emotionally after it passes
      • what the hamster would do/where it would go whenever my family goes out of town

any help with changing their minds about these things, and information on what i can do would be appreciated!!

@floofems i would love to see her !!! she sounds adoRABLE already <3

@the lost gremlin congrats on becoming a mice parent !! i'll be anxiously awaiting their photos c:

@storming aaAAA !! what sweethearts <3 do you and your best friend live together in an apartment/house/dorm/etc?

Hey! I've had my 2nd hamster for around 6 months now. With the short lifespan thing, it is going to happen. You can only do so much about how long your hamster lives, especially if they come from a pet store. This sounds a tad bit harsh, but I was devastated for around 1 week, but then time went on and I just accepted it.
As for the traveling thing, it depends on how long you are gone. If it's only 1-3 days, and depending on how often you feed your hamster, they will be fine. Give them a normal amount of food before leaving, maybe set up 2 water bottles. If it is for extended periods of time (1 week or more) I suggest getting a friend to help out. Have them feed your hamster, replace the water, etc. If you have a large(r) cage, just clean it before you leave it it will be fine. I find that labeling the food containers with "give 1 pinch" or "2 tsps" is the simplest way, and they won't forgot or overfeed.
synastry

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ᴇʟʟɪᴏᴛ » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:58 am

Hey guys! I'm new to this thread. I have 2 American shorthair guinea pigs, Rocket and Alexander Hamilton (Alex or Hamilton for short) I've been thinking of buying fleece instead of regular bedding, is there any recommended or trusted buyers for fleece?

Rocket is the white one and Alex is the multi colored

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx"Oh hi! Thanks for visiting me while back"
xxx◂─────────🍕─────────▸
xxxxxanona ◦ he/she ◦ aroace lesbian
xxxxmlp ◦ madcom ◦ touhou ◦ cookie run
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ᴇʟʟɪᴏᴛ

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rat » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:55 pm

hello! new to this thread. i currently have 4 rats, 2 boys and 2 girlies. (very very soon to be getting 2 or 3 more does and another buck.) i also stole the best username in the world
..Image - fr lair - afrma - th - swe stables
    | nick
    |he/him

| i breed health tested american bullies irl :^)
    | guest artist for SWEs
rat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rat » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:59 pm

Fadingmist wrote:Hey guys! I'm new to this thread. I have 2 American shorthair guinea pigs, Rocket and Alexander Hamilton (Alex or Hamilton for short) I've been thinking of buying fleece instead of regular bedding, is there any recommended or trusted buyers for fleece?

Rocket is the white one and Alex is the multi colored

i wouldn't recommend fleece because it traps smells and gets gross very very quickly, but when i used it i bought the cheap fleece blankets from walmart when they went on sale.
..Image - fr lair - afrma - th - swe stables
    | nick
    |he/him

| i breed health tested american bullies irl :^)
    | guest artist for SWEs
rat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby stag » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:01 pm

synastry; wrote:
mellifluous. wrote:
      hey everyone !!!

so, my parents have been open about getting me a hamster, but they're worried about two main things:
      • the short lifespan of the hamster and how i'll be affected emotionally after it passes
      • what the hamster would do/where it would go whenever my family goes out of town

any help with changing their minds about these things, and information on what i can do would be appreciated!!

@floofems i would love to see her !!! she sounds adoRABLE already <3

@the lost gremlin congrats on becoming a mice parent !! i'll be anxiously awaiting their photos c:

@storming aaAAA !! what sweethearts <3 do you and your best friend live together in an apartment/house/dorm/etc?

thank you!!! we actually do live together in a house.
xxxx S T A Gx/ L U X

xxrat and bone lover •ᴗ• he/they, nblw
xxcs rat collection complete 12.26.22 ♡
xxImage Image Image
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXxx

xxx3.9.21 ♡ | pixel | vermin#7777 | ©
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXxx
stag

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gaymerwife » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:03 pm

Oml I didn’t know this thread existed until now but hi! I have 1 sweet little rattie and her name is pisces (-: she has one eye and hates other rats. I actually adopted her from my bf bc she kept fighting all of his rats so :-(( but she’s happy and loves to play with me and is a big cuddle bug ^^
╔════════════════ ∘◦❀◦∘ ═════════════════╗

𝚑𝚊𝚕𝚎𝚢 ♀ ♓︎ 𝚊𝚍𝚞𝚕𝚝 [𝚕]𝚐𝚋𝚝+ 𝟶𝟿/𝟶𝟺/𝟷𝟼

𝙸 𝚠𝚒𝚜𝚑 𝙸 𝚕𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚍 𝚒𝚗 𝚖𝚘𝚘𝚖𝚒𝚗𝚟𝚊𝚕𝚕𝚎𝚢 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚖𝚢 𝚐𝚏

╚════════════════ ∘◦❀◦∘ ═════════════════╝
gaymerwife

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gp5 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:54 pm

hey everyone!
    i'm thinking about getting two rats, but the problem is, I don't know what gender. I've had a female in the past before, and she was fun, but i've been doing research on males. I've read on how they can be territorial and aggressive towards each other if they aren't neutered, but i was wondering if anyone knew the average cost for getting a male neutered? Is it worth it?
    I've also read on how they mark everywhere if you let them out of their cages, so is that true? >> pee doesn't bother me, but if they do it all the time, i think my family will have a problem. (and i eventually will too.)

i'll probably stick with females, but i'm kinda hoping someone will change my mind. thanks!
gp5

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me