Calling All Rat Lovers/Owners!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

How Much Do You Love Rats?

I LOVE THEM TO ALL THE GALAXIES AND BACK!
50%
I ADORE THEM!
14%
I love them.
6%
I think they are cute. (Never owned one so I don't know the greatness of them)
30%

Total votes : 545

Re: Calling all rat lovers/owners!

Postby StrawberryBunny » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:56 am

I adore rats and am hoping to get some in september, but have never owned one before. I'd like to get two female rats to keep each other company, but i'm not sure wether i'd need to get tewm from the same litter. Do they need to be of the same litter?

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

I love feminist literature and evolutionary science

I study zoology and collect plants

I have 3 kittens, 10 mice, a syrian hamster, a toy poodle, a blue-tongue skink, a crested gecko, a mossy gecko, a tortoise, 2 toads, and many many woodlice.

my pronouns are she/her

pls trade me syrian hamsters

StrawberryBunny

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby heartleafed » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:18 am

forestwolfforever wrote:I adore rats and am hoping to get some in september, but have never owned one before. I'd like to get two female rats to keep each other company, but i'm not sure wether i'd need to get tewm from the same litter. Do they need to be of the same litter?

Nope, not always. While it does differ with some rats, from my general experience, they're good with most anyone else.
Only two of my four girls are related, and they all get along perfectly. The only thing is that, if you get two who aren't related, try getting two who are close in age, so if and when something happens, the other won't be lonely.
If you can't though, you can try getting a pair of girls who are the same age, to keep the other company.

You should also look up methods of introducing unrelated rats, since there is a method to it. Just so things go smoothly.
Image{ mars ` he ` toyhou.se }
heartleafed

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby StrawberryBunny » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:21 am

-Bigbang-
Okay :) i'll think about that. Thankyou :D :D

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

I love feminist literature and evolutionary science

I study zoology and collect plants

I have 3 kittens, 10 mice, a syrian hamster, a toy poodle, a blue-tongue skink, a crested gecko, a mossy gecko, a tortoise, 2 toads, and many many woodlice.

my pronouns are she/her

pls trade me syrian hamsters

StrawberryBunny

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cek00 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:37 pm

Hate to repost, but I am afraid that my post might be missed.

Thanks! I did a bit of research today, and I think I can handle owning 2 rats, and a lot of it is similar to other animals I already knew how to care for. But, £100 is a lot for a pet rat's vet bills, after all, I thought they only live for 2-3 years. I saw a table of common health problems and it only included mites, tumors, overgrown teeth, and traumatic injury, so what did you spend the money on?

One more thing, cages that could fit rats are quite expensive... The cages that are cheep are too small for two rats. Has anyone built their own, or know where to get a reasonable cage?

Edit: Does anybody use/suggest this product? http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... lInUS%2FNo
cek00

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby UnicornDoingDressage » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:29 am

Sorry, I'm back!

My last pair of rats got cancer and tumors.
I recommend that food as well!
UnicornDoingDressage

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby UnicornDoingDressage » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:39 am

My little rescue rats finally leaned to jump in my lap :D I am so proud of them, before me they had no handling what so ever, and they were NOT meant to be pets... -gulp- If you know what I mean... You know snake food? :/
UnicornDoingDressage

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cek00 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:48 am

How many of your rats have gotten tumors, cancer, etc. and had to go to the vet?
cek00

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby heartleafed » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:51 am

♥Dяєssagє♥ wrote:My little rescue rats finally leaned to jump in my lap :D I am so proud of them, before me they had no handling what so ever, and they were NOT meant to be pets... -gulp- If you know what I mean... You know snake food? :/

That's so sweet, one of the best feelings in my opinion, to see them getting friendlier and being happy.
I feel so bad for the snake food rats like my Helly, and I have to keep convincing myself not to take a bunch of them in (since I live in an area where snakes are very very popular, so there's almost always some for sale).

cek00 wrote:How many of your rats have gotten tumors, cancer, etc. and had to go to the vet?

Only one of my girls so far. Ryu developed two when she was 2+ years old, one on a Mammary and the other by her lungs.
heartleafed

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cek00 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:24 am

So, how many rats have you had?

I found this and I think it is pretty good, but would the single story one work okay for two rats?
cek00

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby heartleafed » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:59 am

cek00 wrote:I found this and I think it is pretty good, but would the single story one work okay for two rats?

I love the Ferret Nation. I've been trying to get one for forever, but Gummi is gonna get right through the bars she's so small. I think just the bottom should work for just two decent sized girls or boys. Just keep in mind it's a Ferret cage, so the spacing is a bit wide, it wouldn't work well for very petite rats or babies.
heartleafed

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me