The Cavy(Guinea Pig) Lovers Club

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: The Cavy(Guinea Pig) Lovers Club

Postby Lonin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:03 pm

Griffin.Rats wrote:

They All live together.. I Separate The Guinea Pig to Feed them what they need And then they Start to Fret for the Rabbits once they Have finished their food.
My mother Was A Rabbit breeder for 25years and Always Had them together.And my Father-in-law is a vet and He said they can Live together. So I Listen to him Alot. And my Son Uses the other Part of our Yard so we can not make Another Big yard...

The Guinea Pigs love running Around, But the Rabbits are very Lazy for some reason

D: Noes you need to seperate them as soon as possible. Rabbits can injure, paralyse or kill guinea pigs by kicking them or landing on top of them. Rabbits also often carry bacteria that is harmless to them but deadly to guinea pigs, that will kill them if their immune systems weaken.
Lonin doesn't know how big a cage would have to be for 4 rabbits and 7 guinea pigs, but it'd be massive. You could always divide it so the rabbits are on one side and guinea pigs on the other. At least that would be safer for the poor things. D:
We'll direct you to this: http://www.guineapigcages.com/rabbits.htm
Even vets and breeders can get things wrong sometimes. And this is definitely wrong.
If vet opinion matters:
http://www.highcliffvets.com/help-and-a ... -pigs.aspx
http://www.hollyhousevets.co.uk/small-f ... ll-furries
http://www.vetssomerset.co.uk/domestic- ... uinea-pigs
As well as http://www.pdsa.org.uk/pet-health-advic ... ts/company
All advise against housing guinea pigs with rabbits. We can probably find more, but not all vet websites have this kind of information.

Masked Avenger wrote:I have four gorgeous girls.

From left to right: Sunny, Coco, Ceecee and Molly.
They're 5 years old. Coco is Molly's daughter, and Ceecee was given to us by friends who were moving and couldn't take her with them. They live outside, but love to come in for cuddles and food.

Those are adooooooorable.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sadies » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:30 pm

Masked Avenger wrote:I have four gorgeous girls.

From left to right: Sunny, Coco, Ceecee and Molly.
They're 5 years old. Coco is Molly's daughter, and Ceecee was given to us by friends who were moving and couldn't take her with them. They live outside, but love to come in for cuddles and food.

Aww... They are too cute :3
Sorry for my slow response time on RP's. My new job steals ALL my time. :(

xxxxx

Sadies

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Methalis » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:19 pm

Very, very cute.
I’m pretty much inactive these days.
Methalis

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tiata » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:38 pm

I have a guinea pig named Hershey :D he is about 2-3 years old boar, he is a father of two. I've had guinea pigs almost all my life, I got my first pig at about 5 years old and I still remember buying my first pig! Guinea pigs are not as my much my kind of pet but they are still very cute XD

Hershey, not the best pic of him. I can load better ones later if you guys want.

❤ You will forever be in my heart ❤

You have no right to use this gif without my written permission
tiata

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Snowytoshi » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:14 am

Lonin wrote:
Griffin.Rats wrote:

They All live together.. I Separate The Guinea Pig to Feed them what they need And then they Start to Fret for the Rabbits once they Have finished their food.
My mother Was A Rabbit breeder for 25years and Always Had them together.And my Father-in-law is a vet and He said they can Live together. So I Listen to him Alot. And my Son Uses the other Part of our Yard so we can not make Another Big yard...

The Guinea Pigs love running Around, But the Rabbits are very Lazy for some reason

D: Noes you need to seperate them as soon as possible. Rabbits can injure, paralyse or kill guinea pigs by kicking them or landing on top of them. Rabbits also often carry bacteria that is harmless to them but deadly to guinea pigs, that will kill them if their immune systems weaken.
Lonin doesn't know how big a cage would have to be for 4 rabbits and 7 guinea pigs, but it'd be massive. You could always divide it so the rabbits are on one side and guinea pigs on the other. At least that would be safer for the poor things. D:
We'll direct you to this: http://www.guineapigcages.com/rabbits.htm
Even vets and breeders can get things wrong sometimes. And this is definitely wrong.
If vet opinion matters:
http://www.highcliffvets.com/help-and-a ... -pigs.aspx
http://www.hollyhousevets.co.uk/small-f ... ll-furries
http://www.vetssomerset.co.uk/domestic- ... uinea-pigs
As well as http://www.pdsa.org.uk/pet-health-advic ... ts/company
All advise against housing guinea pigs with rabbits. We can probably find more, but not all vet websites have this kind of information.

I agree with all of this, for those who are curious the bacteria would be Bordetella.
Snowytoshi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby little rowzerz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:34 am

I just got my first guinea pig last Monday, March 4th. He I a baby and is fluffy, he has different fur than the guinea pigs with course fur. He LOVES timothy hay. I feed him timothy hay every morning, which you're supposed to do (: , and he eats it right away, saving none for later. I give him fresh veggies everyday. He eats red or green bell pepper ( which is especially important because it contains lots of vitamin c and guinea pigs need vitamin c because they can't produce it on their own like other living things ), cucumber ( not high in nutritional value but high in water content ), carrot, baby tomato, broccoli, and romaine lettuce. He is a baby too, so he is smaller in size. His name is Carmel.

I have read in my hamster book than an only cavy is a lonely cavy. Lonin has also given me advice, thanks lonin! :) I am working on getting another one to go with my guinea pig that I have now.
Please check out my goat thread in the Animal Chatter forum, it has a poll for extra fun: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1765712
Jesus <3ImageImage
THANK YOU so much, Depressed Shadows for my dreamie!!
My biggest gift: 137 pets(all wish list) and 53 items(all wish list)! :D
little rowzerz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sadies » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:50 am

I need help.

I have had my guinea pig since the beginning of feb and they live outside in a hutch. My old boar is fine but the new one will not use the ramp.

I have tried leaving him upstairs and feeding him downstairs but he won't go down so I tried the other way but he won't go up. I tried leaving him for a while but he won't use it, he's got skinny because the otherone eats the food because he won't use the ramp.

He has been living downstairs with a shelter and I been feeding him downstairs but he still doesn't try to go upstairs. I have tried putting woodchips on the ramp but nope.

Today I spent about an hour in the garden trying to encourage him with celery. If I put him at the top he will go up but any lower and he just freezes there or tries to jump off.

It doesn't help that he is really shy and doesn't really like people touching him. But I tried to encourage him up by gently nudging him but he doesn't do anything. He will only go up if he is at the top.

I put a box in their today to raise it up so it's flatter and it's been all day and he still will not use it even though it's almost completely flat.

Any ideas?

xxxxx

Sadies

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:08 am

Sadies wrote:I need help.

I have had my guinea pig since the beginning of feb and they live outside in a hutch. My old boar is fine but the new one will not use the ramp.

I have tried leaving him upstairs and feeding him downstairs but he won't go down so I tried the other way but he won't go up. I tried leaving him for a while but he won't use it, he's got skinny because the otherone eats the food because he won't use the ramp.

He has been living downstairs with a shelter and I been feeding him downstairs but he still doesn't try to go upstairs. I have tried putting woodchips on the ramp but nope.

Today I spent about an hour in the garden trying to encourage him with celery. If I put him at the top he will go up but any lower and he just freezes there or tries to jump off.

It doesn't help that he is really shy and doesn't really like people touching him. But I tried to encourage him up by gently nudging him but he doesn't do anything. He will only go up if he is at the top.

I put a box in their today to raise it up so it's flatter and it's been all day and he still will not use it even though it's almost completely flat.

Any ideas?

If possible maybe make/buy a ramp with the steps closer together? We had a similar problem with some of Lonin's guinea pigs when they were babies, and the steps were too far apart so we glued some extra wood on for them to make extra steps. You could also try making a side/railing so they can't jump off and will also feel safer using it. c: But only the ones that had a ramp since they were very young have ever used it, out of Lonin's.
Otherwise put bits of food and/or him further and further up the ramp to encourage him to go up over a few days/weeks. c:
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sadies » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:15 am

Lonin wrote:

Any ideas?

If possible maybe make/buy a ramp with the steps closer together? We had a similar problem with some of Lonin's guinea pigs when they were babies, and the steps were too far apart so we glued some extra wood on for them to make extra steps. You could also try making a side/railing so they can't jump off and will also feel safer using it. c: But only the ones that had a ramp since they were very young have ever used it, out of Lonin's.
Otherwise put bits of food and/or him further and further up the ramp to encourage him to go up over a few days/weeks. c:

When we got the hutch we added more steps to make it easier for them. I will try to make a side to go onto it but not sure how practical it will be when it comes to cleaning, we can't take the ladder out, we clip it up.

I have tried food up the ramp to encourage him but he doesn't go for it then the other one eats it before him. :/

Porcelain isn't a baby, he's fully grown so I don't know if that should make a difference as he hams only lived in a single hutch before I got him but then my other pig only lived in a single cage also. :/

xxxxx

Sadies

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby little rowzerz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:13 am

Any ideas?

You could:
- Look up advice online, possibly google if you would like
- Gain more trust from your cavy, the step to gaining trust you can look up online or in a pet book. I'm not quite sure this would help though...

If I have any more ideas, I will pm you or post here. ;)
Please check out my goat thread in the Animal Chatter forum, it has a poll for extra fun: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1765712
Jesus <3ImageImage
THANK YOU so much, Depressed Shadows for my dreamie!!
My biggest gift: 137 pets(all wish list) and 53 items(all wish list)! :D
little rowzerz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me