The Cavy(Guinea Pig) Lovers Club

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: The Cavy(Guinea Pig) Lovers Club

Postby _silentsiren_ » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:20 am

My guinea pig, Tobi, passed away today. She was my first guinea pig and probably will be my last for a while. She passed away very suddenly while she was outside. She had food, water, and shade. Unfortunately I wasn't there to see her one more time as I'm visiting with my family in Texas.

She was the sweetest soul I ever knew, she was a super big hard head sometimes but I loved the hell outta that girl. She had some of the craziest hair I've ever seen. She had these big beautiful brown eyes and she loved, loved, LOVED, to cuddle me. She enjoyed the company of her brother and all I pray for is that she didn't suffer.

My parents were cleaning the house and my room, so they moved the pigs outside for some fresh air and grass. They cleaned and cleaned, they didn't think to check on the pigs because this wasn't their first time outside and they had everything they needed. My step-dad went to go check on them and found both of the piggies laying on the ground. My Mom tried to save her but it was too late. She passed away before she could get help. - My mom's taking her to get cremated so I can keep her with me forever.

I hope I can adopt another pig from a rescue but until then, I will be taking a break from them to give myself some time to heal.
    I'm glad shes at peace and she's up in piggy-heaven with her brother. Sorry for dampening the mood but, I needed to let some of the grief off of my chest.
Last edited by _silentsiren_ on Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
_silentsiren_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kate, » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:22 am

Look up "skinny pig" it's a hairless guinea pig!! I want one soooo bad
Kate // she/her // “ur mom”

Kate,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SnowStar » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:25 am

Yay I'm so happy I found this club! May i join? I own two guinea pigs at the moment.
Sake (black and white) and Bailey (calico).

The pictures were taken when they were around 5 weeks old, they'll be a year old around Thanksgiving. c:

They've grown a lot since I got them! (ignore the container they were in, they were in it temporarily while I was changing the cage).
So full of hate were our eyes
That none of us could see
Our war would yield countless dead
But never victory
So let us cast arms aside
And like discard our wrath
Thou, in faith, will keep us safe
Whilst we find the path

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Art block is hitting hard, sorry about not drawing much or being on lately.
SnowStar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby arcticwolf » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:42 am

It breaks my heart to announce that Nikki has crossed the Rainbow Bridge at the age of 6.5 years. I always had a false sense of hope that she'd live forever, or at least an exceptionally long time for a guinea pig. But, life doesn't always work the way we want it to. I have suffered many losses this year. The loss of one of the family's dogs, a near loss of another dog, the sudden death of my mom, and now the passing of dear Nikki.

Nikki was genetically prone to reoccurring bladder stones and heart problems, and while it was managed for a while, eventually, things got to be too much, too severe, too painful, and then I knew it was "time". I cried while holding her in my arms one final time, and even my boyfriend's eyes began to water a little. Nikki was his favorite pig. It feels wrong without her here, so very wrong. She was my elderly pig, such a unique and wonderful little one.

"A million times we've needed you,
A million times we've cried.
If love alone could have saved you,
You never would have died.

In life I loved you dearly,
In death I love you still.
In my heart you hold a place,
That no one could ever fill.

It broke my heart to loose you,
But you didn’t go alone.
For part of me went with you,
The day God took you home."

R.I.P. Nikki, in my care from 07-16-2011 --> 08-04-2017.
ImageImageStandard Poodle Mom Image Pro Dog Groomer Image Engaged Image Image
arcticwolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Starrats » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:11 am

I'm sorry for your loss :cry:
Image Image Image

My Birthday is October 23

Tiny Dwayne "The Pet Rock" Johnson
I'm a Boar
People with this sign are
said to have these characteristics:

Simple, honest, loyal, calm, thoughtful,
intelligent, hard working, strong,
peace-loving, trusting.
Sometimes they can be naive,
gullible, materialistic, clingy
Starrats

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leg » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:11 pm

arcticwolf im so, so sorry for your loss ): i recently lost my oldest pig on the 30th of may at around the same age from kidney failure. i still remember getting him when he was younger with one of his ears bright red and him looking like a rat with his long nose and scrawny self. felt odd seeing him become an old boy, but made it better seeing him get grumpy when i didn't give veg on time and purr when he reached the top of the stairs during floortime x run free on rainbow bridge nikki
leg

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby arcticwolf » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:05 pm

Starrats wrote:I'm sorry for your loss :cry:

leg wrote:arcticwolf im so, so sorry for your loss ): i recently lost my oldest pig on the 30th of may at around the same age from kidney failure. i still remember getting him when he was younger with one of his ears bright red and him looking like a rat with his long nose and scrawny self. felt odd seeing him become an old boy, but made it better seeing him get grumpy when i didn't give veg on time and purr when he reached the top of the stairs during floortime x run free on rainbow bridge nikki

Thank you both for the warm thoughts. <3

On lighter news, my boyfriend and I recently acquired a new sow, estimated to be around 4-8 weeks of age. I named her Cleopatra; Cleo for short.

And here's a picture of the trio, featuring Callie being a photobomb/hog/dork all in one. That tongue, lol!
ImageImageStandard Poodle Mom Image Pro Dog Groomer Image Engaged Image Image
arcticwolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Help Needed, Please!

Postby icetea » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:17 pm

hello everyone! please don't hate me for this post, i'm trying my best. also, if there's a better place than this thread for my post, please notify me by pm.

I have one guinea pig. Her name is Tootsie. My cousin had gotten her when he was around 14/15/16. After about a year, he didn't want her anymore, so he and his mom tried to find someone they could sell her to. I convinced my parents of taking her into my care, and they eventually agreed. After she had adjusted to being with me, in an entirely new environment with new people surrounding her, I convinced my parents to look for a friend for her; considering guinea pigs do best in herds. She was about 7-8 years old at the time. We took her to a local cavy care place (just a woman who housed and took in neglected/poorly cared for guinea pigs in her home). We tried many different piggies, seeing if any would get along with her.

I expected her to be submissive and, if anything, get hurt by the OTHER guinea pigs, just because of how loving and sweet she was with humans.

She fought every. single. dang. pig.

We had given her 15-45 minutes for every pig, depending on how well it had gone.
    So, we thought maybe she was getting stressed. We had already introduced her to 3-5 piggies (reminder, this was at least two years ago, I don't remember every exact detail). So, we went home and came back a few weeks later, hoping she would be more relaxed, or there was another guinea pig she may get along with.

No.

Tootsie didn't have it.
    She, again, fought every. single. pig. there.
    When I say fought, I mean she stood up on her hind legs and made noises at each one before the other got scared and she pounced.
    So, we stopped. We stopped trying. I had given up trying to give her a friend. Maybe it wasn't enough time for her to warm up to them, maybe she was abused by my cousin, maybe there was another reason she wasn't getting along with them. I'm not sure.

She's about 9-10 years old now, an American short-hair, who loves to go outdoors. If anyone knows why this was happening, I'd love to know.

I promise I'm trying my best to keep her happy and healthy. She's been with me for around 3-4 years, and she's getting pretty old. I take her outside when the temperature's okay, she gets held nearly daily, and has free range in my room and/or outside everyday, as well as baths 2-4 times a year, along with timothy hay available all day, everyday (same with pellets; i also don't give her the pellets with the colourful bits, just because it doesn't look the most nutritious, and i've heard it's pure sugar). Along with that, I give her fresh veggies in the morning and at night, (a few pieces of leaf lettuce with each meal, some celery, very small amounts of carrot, and then sometimes other vegetables like parsley or the leaves on radishes). She also has a 10 square foot cage.

I feel extremely guilty for how she's living, but I don't know what else I can do. If anyone could quote and reply to this post, or pm me about this, I would love you forever. I hope this doesn't come off wrong, but I thank anyone who's taken the time to read and think about this.
youtube39 daysgame
icetea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:56 pm

If you can find one you could try a neutered male?

Though it's rare, some guinea pigs just can't get on with anyone else. It sounds like you've done everything you can to find her a friend so you shouldn't feel bad. As long as you hold and interact with her every day so she doesn't get lonely you shouldn't feel guilty. Maybe move her cage to a busier area so she gets more attention?
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby icetea » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:40 am

Lonin wrote:If you can find one you could try a neutered male?

Though it's rare, some guinea pigs just can't get on with anyone else. It sounds like you've done everything you can to find her a friend so you shouldn't feel bad. As long as you hold and interact with her every day so she doesn't get lonely you shouldn't feel guilty. Maybe move her cage to a busier area so she gets more attention?

thank you. she'll be moved back up into my room soon. (i forgot to mention in my first post that she's been downstairs in the guest room/office for the summer because we don't have air, and my room can literally melt candles during the day) so she'll have me in the room with her, at least. maybe she is just one of those rare piggies that doesn't get along with others. again, thank you for the advice ^-^
youtube39 daysgame
icetea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me