Thoughts about pitbulls/pit chat!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Click if you ...

Are scared of them
9%
Would own one
60%
Have one
18%
Know anyone who has one?
13%

Total votes : 912

Re: Thoughts about pitbulls/pit chat!

Postby TheCuriousEspeon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:54 pm

My boyfriend's step mum owns a pit bull, and when his grandma saw the pit, she said they should feed him a poisoned hot dog! Sometimes people get on my nerves. Such a beautiful creature should not be killed because of some human's stupid decisions to take advantage of them.
Hello! My name is TheCuriousEspeon. I'm a huge weeb, and I love to hoard and collect cats! Feel free to send trades with any cats, wishlist or not! Thank you~
Also, Swiftalu is my senpai. All of her pets come out super cute and I adore all the pets she creates < 3
TheCuriousEspeon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:58 pm

StellaPup wrote:(Creator of this thread, just letting you know it's Pit Bulls not Pitbulls. Haha no offence)

The creator hasn't posted on this thread since 2013, lol
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheEpicElephant » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:58 pm

They are rather sweet dogs, too large for my taste though.
My friend has a mix of one, they’re extremely rough but pretty cute.

Like all dogs, a pit bull can become aggressive if not trained correctly, so in fact, not every pitbull is an angel due to a human’s corruption.
This is all my opinion though, so believe what you will c:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
heya! I'm TheEpicElephant!
female/dino lover
/currently: dunno man

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxx
so, anyway,
right now
I'm sorta
obsessed
with naruto
and life
in general???

xxxxxxxx

TheEpicElephant

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby halogen. » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:21 pm

Kind of sick of people getting on this thread and going 'it's all about how you raise them' and 'its all about how you train them' and none of them are even talking about actual pitbulls anyways. Genetics can make a dog human or dog aggressive. Hate people who talk without knowing what they're talking about.

Like Spade, I didn't train her to fight or be aggressive. She was raised in a loving home, around kids and other dogs, but due to genetics she is dog aggressive.
My pretty pups-
Image Image
thank you so much peachy days<33
halogen.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Redwyn » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:33 pm

Depends which bully breed we're talking about, as it is often a blanket term used to cover multiple bully breeds and BBM (as much as I agree or disagree with it being used as such). So we'll briefly cover the American Pit Bull Terrier.

The American Pit Bull Terrier is a breed specifically bred for animal aggression if we are talking about a responsibly bred dog meant to be temperamentally appropriate and a representation of the breed. They were a breed that first originally started popping up in England after boar baiting became illegal in the 1800s. To fight other dogs.

Human aggression (HA) in the breed usually meant the dog was culled. HA is unfortunately a occasional side effect of breeding for gameness, the purpose of the original APBT. When back yard breeders started producing them, the HA dogs were no longer culled as often which is why we sometimes see the human aggressive APBT.

In conclusion:
The breed is more likely to be human and dog (or other pet) aggressive because it was originally bred for game. Both genetics and environment play a role in dogs. If it didn't, we wouldn't have specific breeds for specific dogs: border collies are bred to herd, hunting dogs are bred to hunt, cavaliers are bred to be well tempered lap dogs. Are there exceptions? Yes, in every breed. Especially one so watered down and over produced by back yard breeders. Does it mean all pit bulls are bad dogs and need to be banned? No. But people getting them should be aware of what they were bred for and keep them appropriately, not anthropomorphize them. That's how you end up with accidents like the ones you hear in the news and when they ban BBM in certain places.
Redwyn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:22 am

Redwyn wrote:Depends which bully breed we're talking about, as it is often a blanket term used to cover multiple bully breeds and BBM (as much as I agree or disagree with it being used as such). So we'll briefly cover the American Pit Bull Terrier.

The American Pit Bull Terrier is a breed specifically bred for animal aggression if we are talking about a responsibly bred dog meant to be temperamentally appropriate and a representation of the breed. They were a breed that first originally started popping up in England after boar baiting became illegal in the 1800s. To fight other dogs.

Human aggression (HA) in the breed usually meant the dog was culled. HA is unfortunately a occasional side effect of breeding for gameness, the purpose of the original APBT. When back yard breeders started producing them, the HA dogs were no longer culled as often which is why we sometimes see the human aggressive APBT.

In conclusion:
The breed is more likely to be human and dog (or other pet) aggressive because it was originally bred for game. Both genetics and environment play a role in dogs. If it didn't, we wouldn't have specific breeds for specific dogs: border collies are bred to herd, hunting dogs are bred to hunt, cavaliers are bred to be well tempered lap dogs. Are there exceptions? Yes, in every breed. Especially one so watered down and over produced by back yard breeders. Does it mean all pit bulls are bad dogs and need to be banned? No. But people getting them should be aware of what they were bred for and keep them appropriately, not anthropomorphize them. That's how you end up with accidents like the ones you hear in the news and when they ban BBM in certain places.

I don't think HA is a side effect of gameness. Gamedogs definitely aren't more likely to be human aggressive, they've never been bred for HA traits, they're not guard dogs. I don't see how the ability to fight even when they're beat down makes them more likely to have HA, but if they were that'd be bad. Watered down show APBTs aren't more likely to be HA either, these dogs ace temperament tests.
The only reason I can see them being prone to HA is through absolutely terrible breeding. These dogs are not likely to be HA.
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby dragonwing, » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:48 am

I just found this thread and I have something to say.

pit bulls are beautiful dogs. people think they are aggressive due to other peoples stories. my friend used to own a pit bull and she was the sweetest dog imaginable! all of the siblings of the pit bull were put down due to being too aggressive for peoples liking but my friend's pit bull was super sweet. she wouldn't ever hurt a fly. she had to be put down herself due to medical issues. </3
yeet yeet im dragonwing

i love to roleplay warrior cats
dragonwing,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ☆ Lincoln & Grover ☆ » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:50 am

I think pitbulls are stereotyped like a lot of dogs. People always think that a pitbull is super vicious and mean, but they are not. My friend owns a pitbull and they are such sweet dogs! Although they can be very protective! Pitbulls are amazing!
HI THERE! YOU SHOULD CHECK THESE AMAZING ADOPTABLES OUT! MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW THE RULES! Image CHECK OUT THIS GIVEAWAYImage AND THIS AMAZING ADOPTION CENTER AND GIVEAWAY Image

Pet's name: Winston
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
I WAS FORMERLY MRTOPPY
☆ Lincoln & Grover ☆

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shadowthegreatwolf » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:53 am

I saw this and immediately clicked on it because of how passionate I feel about this topic. Pit bulls are just dogs, and just like any other, they can be mean, and they can be nice. You only ever hear bad things about them, because that's the way people think about them. I've personally had two, and neither of them did anything to harm me or one another. They were like sisters and were always excited to meet new people and dogs. They will always be my first example of why you shouldn't assume all pits are bad.
ver gay

[b]Pet's name:
Kha' Zix Image
Shadowthegreatwolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlueOrca2000 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:40 pm

One of my neighbors has a female blue pit bull that got out one morning and was roaming around in our front yard. My sisters glanced out the window and saw her, thinking she was our immediate neighbor's blue pit bull (whom we thought at the time was potentially aggressive through the fence but we've met him and now know he's just kinda nervous) but this one in our yard was a lot fatter than the male.

So I went outside and clapped my hands to call her over and she looked over at me, tail immediately wagging, and ran over to me. She didn't jump up on me (cuz she's so chubby) just licked me and let me pet her. I even told her to sit and she did! She was super sweet and cute and I love her. We let her go (cuz we didn't know she belonged in the neighborhood) and we went back inside.

She got back home, of course. We'll drive by her house sometime and she'll be in the garage with her owner..

But anyway, I've met at least 5 pit bulls in my life and none of them have been mean. One of them (in the immediate neighbor's fence; white and gray) i like better than my own cat who regularly attacks me and my other cat!!!
BlueOrca2000

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me