Chickens? Or Guinea Hens?

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Chickens? Or Guinea Fowl?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:08 am

-Chickens! There so cute!
43%
-Guinea Hens/Fowl
29%
-What are Guinea Hens/ Fowl?!?!?!
14%
-neither (both are lame)
14%

Total votes : 7

Chickens? Or Guinea Hens?

Postby Lady Norrington » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:08 am

This Easter i am really trying to convince my mom and dad to buy a couple chickens or guinea hens. I found a couple for good websites about the chickens and guinea hens.... and so far chickens sound better. BUT i still want to hear what other people have to say.... so you can go ahead and if you have chickens or guinea hens please tell me about them. or if you don't you can still say which you would rather have. vote and post!!! i still need to know a little info about chickens and guinea hens. =]
Thanks!
-jklfgs :lol: 8-) :D ;)
Lady Norrington

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Chickens? Or Guinea Hens?

Postby SouthernWhisp » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:06 am

DON'T DO THE GUINEA!! Chickens all they can do is peck you. Guineas have a defense that is very similar to a skunks and just as hard to get out of your skin and clothes. Also they constantly make noise. Well chickens cluck, but this is loud and very constant. They are considered the watchdog of birds if you will because of this. Also they aren't as social as chickens. Chickens you can at least pick up and handle, the guineas will spray you. My friend bought a flock of twenty thinking they would help keep flies and bugs down. She bought them as babies and handled them constantly. Once they were old enough to go and live with her flock of chickens, the squawked all night long. She let that go on for about a month. Then they also wouldn't let them near her anymore and constantly tried to spray her. Finally she couldn't handle it anymore and got rid of them. So yeah... just what I've experienced with them
SouthernWhisp

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Teresaann25 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:38 am

Chickens would be a better choice, but they still need alot of care. You can't just get them as chicks and feed them and thats its. They need special food for when they are babies and when they grow they need special food for laying/for hens.
They also need grit to help digest their food. They are very costly and time consuming. They are not simple pets, Those cute little easter chicks turn into mean roosters and big laying hens.

This is a great site to join to learn more about chickens and Guineas. www.backyardchickens.com
Teresaann25

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lady Norrington » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:19 am

thanks guys so far!
Lady Norrington