Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:32 am

middle earth. wrote:
    hey guys, what are your thoughts on the spider ball python?

Well, I hate to be brutally honest, but I think they shouldn't exist. The poor things end up with so many problems more often than not, and all just to get a "fancy" coloration. I'm honestly just not a fan of breeding specifically for coloration and patterns, most of the time breeders aren't even aware that they're breeding all of these problems into their snakes, and even in the case of spider BPs, they either don't care or try to sell their problems off as "cute."

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby minimire » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:29 pm

Queenie! wrote:
middle earth. wrote:

Well, I hate to be brutally honest, but I think they shouldn't exist. The poor things end up with so many problems more often than not, and all just to get a "fancy" coloration. I'm honestly just not a fan of breeding specifically for coloration and patterns, most of the time breeders aren't even aware that they're breeding all of these problems into their snakes, and even in the case of spider BPs, they either don't care or try to sell their problems off as "cute."

agree! and it's so frustrating to see so many people try to justify this by using different logical fallacies!

minimire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ABeardedDragon » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:14 am

I haven't posted here in a while.. But I've gotten more reptiles and I just wanted to show them off. You can see everyone else here!

My newest two are Akhdar the veiled chameleon and Bubbles the flat rock lizard, genus is Platysaurus! I bought Akhdar from my small local pet shop for my birthday and I honestly love him; she has a mountain horned dragon in stock and I'm really tempted... Bubbles was from another small pet shop, valentine's gift from my boyfriend. I don't like how this shop keeps their reptiles, tried to sell me calcium sand and a coil uvb bulb. Bubbles will turn bright blue with an orange tail when he matures, and I plan on getting two females for breeding in the future. Anyone here kept Platysaurus? There's not a lot of info on them, I know the basics though.
I'm planning on a big revamp of the reptile room. I'm planning on going bioactive, finally have the chance to change over after being scared into using tiles and that all those years ago. Going to be adding custom foam backgrounds. Getting new vivs custom built by a great guy. Everything is going to be in feet and LxDxH, we don't use fish tanks here so I'll put the gallons in for everyone else who uses those. My bearded dragons are being upgraded to 5x2x3s (225 gal), except Lillie who gets a 5x2x2 (150 gal) because she can't climb well, missing toes and things before I got her; my corn snake is also getting a 5x2x2. My leopard geckos are getting new 3x2x2s (90 gal). Bubbles is getting a 4x2x2 (120 gal) and Akhdar is getting a 3x2x3 (135 gal) or possibly bigger. I'm getting the first four vivs in September for $1200. I'll probably be back then to ask for ideas for my backgrounds and that, but if anyone has made their own background I'd love to hear how much foam I'd be looking at buying.. rip.

If I have any space left in the reptile room I'm thinking of adding a new reptile or two. I either want a uromastyx, blue head agama, or a pair of collared lizards. The blue head agama is my dream lizard but I don't think I'm going to find one unless I go to Hamm or something, I'm not sure if there's any captive breds or if they're usually wild caught either. So really I'm stuck between a uromastyx and the collared lizards, I like the colours of the collared lizards but I'm not really sure which one I want. I have plenty of time to decide, thoughts though? Any other fairly small colourful lizards? Care needs aren't an issue for me. I was considering anoles too. Maybe crocodile skinks again? I don't like how shy those are though.

I also want to recommend a facebook group, Advancing Herpetological Husbandry. I'm only a member but it's really helped me out. There's a sibling group specifically for royal pythons too. It's really great for learning, there's a lot of experienced keepers in there and I haven't seen anyone be rude except maybe once or twice. They're all about going above the minimum for your reptiles, improving your enclosures and using enrichment. Interesting stuff in there.

I also forgot. I've seen people mention dubia roaches as feeders. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here, but be careful with them. If you feed only roaches or feed your roaches high protein food there's possibly a higher risk of your reptile developing gout. I only heard about it a few months ago, but just wanted to let everyone know in case you didn't know. They're still good to feed, just be careful how much you feed!

If anyone wants to talk about reptiles and stuff I'm always open! <3
ABeardedDragon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby teaparty » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:53 am

i think my bearded dragon nacho is starting to shed ;=; he's about 3-4 months and i got him about 2 weeks ago, i'm a bit worried for him and his first shed.
teaparty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tyres » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:23 am

↳ hey uwuing, i also own a bearded dragon whose coming up to three years. so if you needed any help or advice regarding your scaly baby then feel free to pm me ! when it comes to your dragon shedding then they can usually do it by themselves during a couple of days up to a week dependant on how your lizard sheds (some shed large pieces off at once, whilst others shed smaller pieces). normaly when i notice if my bearded dragon is having some troubles shedding some of it's skin then i often use these two methods which help either dislodge the skin slightly so that they can get it off themselves or remove it entirely:

001). bathing your dragon in shallow warm water and use a toothbrush to gently rub over the retained shed. 002). applying butter cream or aloe vera to the stuck shed can help soften and dislodge it, but you may have to turn temperatures down slightly or keep them out of their vivarium for a short period of time so that the heat doesn't react with the oils in these products.

i can confidently say that these two products have always worked if and when my lizards are struggling to shed. please remember that it's never ideal to pull off any retained shed as it can damage their new scales underneath ! you never know, your scaly baby might be absolutely fine when it comes to shedding their skin.

i hope all goes well. ♡
Tyres

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby teaparty » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:28 am

thanks! i'll be sure on keeping an eye on him. he seems to love warm baths so i plan on doing that today.

do you think i should be handling him while he's going through the shed or for the most part just leaving him be? i don't want to stress him out but i also don't want him to become too skittish again if i decrease handling.
teaparty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tyres » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:36 am

no worries and aw that's so precious. mine likes to splash around in the bath quite a lot and just generally be destructive lmao.

personally i handle mine during her shed as she doesn't seem too fussed about it, but ! that being said, all dragons will react differently to being handled during their shed, if you are worried about them becoming skittish then try to handle them as if you were going about your daily routine with them, but if you can see that it's bothering them/stressing them out then it's best to put them back into their vivarium and leave them be. once they have finished their shed you could always increase your handling time for a couple of days so then they are still getting that one to one sessions with you that they might not have been able to get.
Tyres

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Samurott12345 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:28 am

I posted here a few years ago saying how I wanted a ball python very badly, and well I'm happy to report that I did indeed manage to get one last year! Her name is Khalessi. She's a pastel enchi and super sweer and calm. She is also a great eater and I've almost had her for 2 years now! I keep her in a very spacious T8 tank from Animal Plastics (great tanks but be prepared to spend a lot!) I got her as a very small baby and she's almost 5 feet long now.

I also still have my bearded dragon Goddric. He is doing great and is 3 years old now :D I do hope to give his tank and upgrade some day.
Samurott12345

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LOCW_Bluestarwarrior » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:13 pm

middle earth. wrote:

They shouldn't be bred. Quality of life over aesthetic. Can't believe I have to say that :/
------------
------------Call me Blue
------------adult // fan of a great
------------many things
------------ImageImageImage
------------
------------
------------ImageImage
------------Art credit - me
------------
LOCW_Bluestarwarrior

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sel » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:50 pm

LOCW_Bluestarwarrior wrote:
middle earth. wrote:

They shouldn't be bred. Quality of life over aesthetic. Can't believe I have to say that :/

i wish this would become one of the few things the reptile community could unanimously agree on, but greed is a powerful drug to breeders.
x
x

x
x

hello, my name is sel! i see you've found me!
i love art, but if you stick around long enough
you might get to witness me eating
my entire drawing tablet out of frustration.
she/her | art shop | deviantart | toyhouse
x
x

sel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me