Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Postby Raven_Wolf » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:46 am

Queenie! wrote:
Catsplat18 wrote:
Raven_Wolf wrote:
If you get the chance, try black soldier fly larvae. They're very nutritious and I have heard reptiles eat them when they have a hard time eating anything else

I've tried black soldier fly larvae. They don't really wiggle around, so some geckos won't eat them. But mine will eat anything as long as I hold it in the tongs and make it shake a bit. He even ate the pupa from the tongs, which are super high in calcium. And when a few pupa hatched, he enjoyed the adult flies (I fed them to him before their wings could properly unfurl, so they couldn't fly). I think I'll get them again, as now I also have some mantises that prefer flies (they're getting sick of mealworms and I'm sick of having to hold them up and taunt the mantis into eating them). So I recommend black soldier fly larvae only if your gecko has a good feeding response and doesn't need moving food.

I would have to order them online anyway, and with the weather getting colder that's just not feasible right now. He needs moving food because he has poor eyesight. Crickets were too fast for him and didn't move around enough on the tongs, so mealworms are really his only option that I can obtain easily from the pet stores around town.

Have you tried Repashy grub pie? That might be more helpful for reptiles with eyesight issues. It has a smell that would be easy to sniff out and it won't run away (pic so you know what it looks like)

ImageImage
Raven_Wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:49 am

Raven_Wolf wrote:
Have you tried Repashy grub pie? That might be more helpful for reptiles with eyesight issues. It has a smell that would be easy to sniff out and it won't run away (pic so you know what it looks like)

I haven't tried that yet, actually. I'll see if one of my local stores has it in stock, maybe he'll like it. But he has been put off by smells before, so it's kind of 50/50 if he'll take it. Still, it's worth a shot.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Targaryen » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:43 am

Thanks @Catsplat18 :)
I'm super excited to have them end up 8ft and 6ft respectively. Though they won't be my largest as I'm working on getting another species that will end up over 10-12ft eventually. :D
Targaryen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Catsplat18 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:35 am

Targaryen wrote:Thanks @Catsplat18 :)
I'm super excited to have them end up 8ft and 6ft respectively. Though they won't be my largest as I'm working on getting another species that will end up over 10-12ft eventually. :D

That's awesome! What's your dream snake? Realistic or unrealistic. In a perfect world I'd have a Boelen's python.
reload to see a new adopt from
my uma storage xx

never forget
summer 2018
she/they|| istp || true neutral ||
slytherin || scorpio || agnostic || bi/pan/queer
♥️ reptiles, birds, arthropods ♥️ my carrd ♥️
♥️ occasional adopts ♥️ my CS collection goals ♥️
Catsplat18

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Targaryen » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:07 am

Catsplat18 wrote:
Targaryen wrote:Thanks @Catsplat18 :)

That's awesome! What's your dream snake? Realistic or unrealistic. In a perfect world I'd have a Boelen's python.

Hah. I'm the same actually. Boelens for me is probably the most realistic dream snake I have. Id love an oenpelli python but I don't live in AUS.
Targaryen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ♡ Kohaku ♡ » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:06 am

yo !! ٩( ᐛ )و this is my bearded dragon kaiju ! i hyperfixate with reptiles among a few other things, so i’ll try to make this post relatively short (key word: “try”, haha) !! ↓

i rescued him about two months ago or so and he has a crooked tail because his previous owner did not take care of him nor provide him with the correct amount of calcium (which leads to bone deformities and other really bad stuff which is too sad to get into right now), but besides that, he’s incredibly healthy & such a character! when i rescued him, he immediately clung to my shirt and laid in my arms, and i think at that exact moment i realized that he was going to be an amazing part of my reptile family (i have a tortoise and a leopard gecko, I’ll post photos later!!) ♡ he’s two years old and i’ll be celebrating his birthday next year ☺︎︎

in the photo, i got him a bearded dragon gachapon figure to decorate his tank and thought it would be funny to put it on his head for a quick photoshoot lol, he didn’t really know what he was going on but he is quite a sassy model !

his name, kaiju, is also a japanese umbrella term for giant monsters, like godzilla! i’m a huuuge godzilla and pacific rim fan, and because of kaiju’s size (he’s almost two feet long), i figured the name would suit him !!
Attachments
453C874F-3424-4840-8E68-DF4FBA461C2A.jpeg
453C874F-3424-4840-8E68-DF4FBA461C2A.jpeg (295.39 KiB) Viewed 61 times
Image Image
♡ Kohaku ♡

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Catsplat18 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:44 pm

♡ Kohaku ♡ wrote:yo !! ٩( ᐛ )و this is my bearded dragon kaiju ! i hyperfixate with reptiles among a few other things, so i’ll try to make this post relatively short (key word: “try”, haha) !! ↓

i rescued him about two months ago or so and he has a crooked tail because his previous owner did not take care of him nor provide him with the correct amount of calcium (which leads to bone deformities and other really bad stuff which is too sad to get into right now), but besides that, he’s incredibly healthy & such a character! when i rescued him, he immediately clung to my shirt and laid in my arms, and i think at that exact moment i realized that he was going to be an amazing part of my reptile family (i have a tortoise and a leopard gecko, I’ll post photos later!!) ♡ he’s two years old and i’ll be celebrating his birthday next year ☺︎︎

in the photo, i got him a bearded dragon gachapon figure to decorate his tank and thought it would be funny to put it on his head for a quick photoshoot lol, he didn’t really know what he was going on but he is quite a sassy model !

his name, kaiju, is also a japanese umbrella term for giant monsters, like godzilla! i’m a huuuge godzilla and pacific rim fan, and because of kaiju’s size (he’s almost two feet long), i figured the name would suit him !!

He's sooo cute! I'm glad you rescued him. And hey, I also have a (Russian) tortoise and a leopard gecko!
reload to see a new adopt from
my uma storage xx

never forget
summer 2018
she/they|| istp || true neutral ||
slytherin || scorpio || agnostic || bi/pan/queer
♥️ reptiles, birds, arthropods ♥️ my carrd ♥️
♥️ occasional adopts ♥️ my CS collection goals ♥️
Catsplat18

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ♡ Kohaku ♡ » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:58 am

Catsplat18 wrote:He's sooo cute! I'm glad you rescued him. And hey, I also have a (Russian) tortoise and a leopard gecko!

thank you!! I’ll be sure to tell him that lol <3

that’s so cool !! :^O what are their names ?

i’m currently thinking about investing some time and money into adopting another reptile to add to my family, but the problem is that everything is so expensive these days :’o) my options for my next reptile is either a blue tongued skink, a ball Python (thinking about getting a high end morph since i love their patterns, plus they’re just beautiful and sweet snakes in general), or a chameleon (which i will most definitely name rango, haha)! my other option is getting an amphibian instead, specifically a pac-man frog since they’re relatively cheap (about twenty five to thirty bucks) at my local reptile and exotic animals shop !
Image Image
♡ Kohaku ♡

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ZeroToInfinity » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:25 pm

♡ Kohaku ♡ wrote:i’m currently thinking about investing some time and money into adopting another reptile to add to my family, but the problem is that everything is so expensive these days :’o) my options for my next reptile is either a blue tongued skink, a ball Python (thinking about getting a high end morph since i love their patterns, plus they’re just beautiful and sweet snakes in general), or a chameleon (which i will most definitely name rango, haha)! my other option is getting an amphibian instead, specifically a pac-man frog since they’re relatively cheap (about twenty five to thirty bucks) at my local reptile and exotic animals shop !

I love ball python morphs! I really want a bumblebee morph someday. I also like pastels and clowns.
We're a system. We will most often sign off with who's fronting.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ZeroToInfinity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Targaryen » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:59 am

dino cat wrote:
♡ Kohaku ♡ wrote:i’m currently thinking about investing some time and money into adopting another reptile to add to my family, but the problem is that everything is so expensive these days :’o) my options for my next reptile is either a blue tongued skink, a ball Python (thinking about getting a high end morph since i love their patterns, plus they’re just beautiful and sweet snakes in general), or a chameleon (which i will most definitely name rango, haha)! my other option is getting an amphibian instead, specifically a pac-man frog since they’re relatively cheap (about twenty five to thirty bucks) at my local reptile and exotic animals shop !

I love ball python morphs! I really want a bumblebee morph someday. I also like pastels and clowns.

Id steer clear from bumblebees or anything 'bee' as it's a combo with spider in it.

The spider morph is linked to a neurological condition where the snake may not know up from down, be able to right itself if on it's back, will 'wobble', corkscrew, etc. How bad the neurological condition is will vary from snake to snake, but I know of a few keepers who have chosen to euthanise their spider ball pythons due to lack of quality of life.

Spider, champagne, hidden gene woma, woma, super spotnose and super sable all suffer from neurological disorders. Some combinations such as super spider, super champagne, etc are lethal.

I'm probably in the minority anyway in feeling the morph trade is highly unethical due to the fact that welfare is often sacrificed for convenience, rampant inbreeding, enablement of hoarding and trophy keeping, etc...

Mother nature does it best anyways after all :P
Targaryen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me