Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Postby drift. » Thu May 14, 2020 8:12 pm

I was relieved to see no margos here.

I recently acquired a leopard gecko who's roughly 5 years old.
She's lived on sand substrate with only two hides and improper lighting and
heat her whole life, so making the switch to bioactive has been a little rough on her
and I'm just wondering if anyone here has tips on how to help her adjust?
I went slow with adding the natural loose substrate and mixing it with her sand,
and added more clutter + a new hide about once every other day so she had time
to explore the new object and becoming comfortable before adding more. She
seems more active and has been eating fine (per her old owner's standards)
but she's super reclusive and will only come out if I've left the room. Even
then it's for extremely short periods of time :/
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vencrypt » Sat May 16, 2020 11:07 pm

opaquelin wrote:
    i'm looking into (hopefully) getting a tortoise at some point, but i have been unsure where exactly i should be getting one from? i'm especially looking into a hermann's tortoise, or potentially a russian tortoise. i've heard that you can get them at expos, but there aren't really any expos going on right now. i don't know much about any reliable sites either, so i was curious if anyone had experience? i've owned other reptiles, but i've never owned a tortoise before.

also, i was curious if there were certain reptiles that thrived in mesh enclosures? i currently have an empty one that i don't know what to do with.

I would suggest morph market, or going on facebook groups and finding tortoise specific groups. there will bound to be breeders, best to check up on their post history as well to see if they're credible.

as for mesh cages, it depends on how big it is.

herpetology | aquascaping | entomology
xxxxthey/them | artist | ecologist

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

❝ ❝
Don't you ever feel like you've been destined for something bigger than your skin?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX❞ ❞
xxHeyo I'm Ven. I like reptiles and fish. Currently in college pursuing
a major in Ecology and Environmental Science degree, with a focus on ichthyology.

xxxxxxxx
img by
crowprince
xxxxxxxx
vencrypt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ghastlytears » Sun May 17, 2020 1:46 am

I love reptiles, I was raised with a ball python for a pet my whole life until I was eleven or so, and now I'm getting a gray corn snake soon!
Emerald birthstone hoard Question mark rat hoard Lily dog hoard NPPS bunny hoard Egg bunny hoard SPD '20 horse hoard PPS pigeon hoard
Current hoard goal: 15 pets in each

Tysvm to ★rat king★ for gifting me the WHOLE SET OF LILY DOGS?! I'm forever in your debt!

DestinyWaffles2581 has been another level of kind. Please, gift this person so much they're drowning in happiness as they have done for me.

ᵖˡᵉᵃˢᵉ ʰᵉˡᵖ ᵘˢ ᵍʳᵒʷᵎ

70% of the world thinks that warrior cats are pointless, 25% just don't care. Repost this if you are part of that 5% that would point out that hitting someone with a book is assault.
ghastlytears

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Alita~ » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:52 pm

Ooh, this thread looks like a nice place.

I recently was offered a bearded dragon, (which I am going to take) by someone I know who can't take care of her anymore. I've done a lot of research already, though the one thing I'm kinda stuck on is what kind of substrate to use. In some places I was told that they need to burrow, so using stuff like baked topsoil is the best thing to use, (but not calci-sand, I know that) but in other places I was told that loose substrate is dangerous in case they eat it, or get it in their eyes. I feel like if they naturally burrow, that shouldn't be a problem? I WANT to use the topsoil, since I really hate the look of repti-carpet, but since I'm getting mixed information, I'm not really sure what to do. I don't have the beardie yet, but I suspect I'll be taking her home in a few days, and I want to be ready.
Alita~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Catsplat18 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:14 am

Alita~ wrote:Ooh, this thread looks like a nice place.

I recently was offered a bearded dragon, (which I am going to take) by someone I know who can't take care of her anymore. I've done a lot of research already, though the one thing I'm kinda stuck on is what kind of substrate to use. In some places I was told that they need to burrow, so using stuff like baked topsoil is the best thing to use, (but not calci-sand, I know that) but in other places I was told that loose substrate is dangerous in case they eat it, or get it in their eyes. I feel like if they naturally burrow, that shouldn't be a problem? I WANT to use the topsoil, since I really hate the look of repti-carpet, but since I'm getting mixed information, I'm not really sure what to do. I don't have the beardie yet, but I suspect I'll be taking her home in a few days, and I want to be ready.

Oops it's been a while and you probably have the beardie already, but here's my two cents: use tile as the substrate, and have a dig box with topsoil in a corner somewhere.
reload to see a new adopt from
my uma storage xx

never forget
summer 2018
she/they|| istp || true neutral ||
slytherin || scorpio || agnostic || bi/pan/queer
♥️ reptiles, birds, arthropods ♥️ my carrd ♥️
♥️ occasional adopts ♥️ my CS collection goals ♥️
Catsplat18

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:40 am

I dunno what's wrong with my leopard gecko. He just... doesn't like to eat? I try to feed him every other day, but most of the time he refuses to touch his food. It's not like he's sick or lethargic or anything, he acts totally fine, drinks water normally, even laps up some calcium every so often. I've tried every type of food I could think of, even freeze-dried despite its poor nutritional value. I thought maybe he didn't like the way his food crawled around, but that's not it. He's just a weird little dude I guess.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Catsplat18 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:04 am

Queenie! wrote:I dunno what's wrong with my leopard gecko. He just... doesn't like to eat? I try to feed him every other day, but most of the time he refuses to touch his food. It's not like he's sick or lethargic or anything, he acts totally fine, drinks water normally, even laps up some calcium every so often. I've tried every type of food I could think of, even freeze-dried despite its poor nutritional value. I thought maybe he didn't like the way his food crawled around, but that's not it. He's just a weird little dude I guess.

What substrate is he on? When's the last time he shed? Are you sure the temps are normal? What have you tried so far? Some leos are just picky. Do you use a dish, tong-feed, or feed loose?
reload to see a new adopt from
my uma storage xx

never forget
summer 2018
she/they|| istp || true neutral ||
slytherin || scorpio || agnostic || bi/pan/queer
♥️ reptiles, birds, arthropods ♥️ my carrd ♥️
♥️ occasional adopts ♥️ my CS collection goals ♥️
Catsplat18

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:34 am

Catsplat18 wrote:
Queenie! wrote:I dunno what's wrong with my leopard gecko. He just... doesn't like to eat? I try to feed him every other day, but most of the time he refuses to touch his food. It's not like he's sick or lethargic or anything, he acts totally fine, drinks water normally, even laps up some calcium every so often. I've tried every type of food I could think of, even freeze-dried despite its poor nutritional value. I thought maybe he didn't like the way his food crawled around, but that's not it. He's just a weird little dude I guess.

What substrate is he on? When's the last time he shed? Are you sure the temps are normal? What have you tried so far? Some leos are just picky. Do you use a dish, tong-feed, or feed loose?

He's just on paper towel, and yes his temperature is fine. He just shed about two weeks ago. I've tried mealworms, dubia roaches, even wax worms and nothing really seems to stick. I usually tong feed, but I have tried putting roaches in his food dish.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby crucifying. » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:55 am

i haven't posted here in a long while so i'll add my updated collection list:

-albino bell leopard gecko, bowser
-2 crested geckos, yoshi & misery. hopefully misery is a lady so i can breed them!
-a normal morph ball python, jeepers, who is my very first snake, and now 3 years old
-pastel pinstripe ball python, nereus
-blood red cornsnake, drakaina
-2 beardies, smaug & gary
-a GORGEOUS boa imperator, vulcan, who unfortunately, i have NO idea what his morph is, but he's stunning
-asian forest scorpion, freya
-emperor scorpion, kratos
-curly haired tarantula, paul

(also, no, none of my animals are cohabbed ^^)

we're going to be getting vulcan his permanent home soon, and i'm going to be purchasing another boa after that!
i'm looking at moonglows and snows at the moment, and am deciding between the name malfoy and draco, but i think i'm just going to go with the full name and call him draco primarily...

i'm so excited about how far my collection has come <3
crucifying.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby swampfiend » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:08 am

I realized you could view all your uploads on this site, and I found a photo of my Fluffy from 2014. He was super sick and wouldn't eat and generally very skinny, look at the poor thing:
So I thought I would show a side-by-side comparison of Fluffy today! He's about 8 years old and full of zest. Now he won't stop trying to eat stuff! (mostly my fingers and toes.)
The camera doesn't do his beard justice. It's massive. You could hide all your Christmas presents under that thing. It jiggles when he moves. It's a thing of glory.
Attachments
handsome gentleman.png
handsome gentleman.png (201.1 KiB) Viewed 45 times
hey im izzie and i like drawing
they/them - lizard enthusiast

i'm in a million AP classes, so i'm not super active ^-^''
swampfiend

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes