Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Postby vencrypt » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:06 pm

Hey guys! I've been obsessed with reptiles for a while now, and I'm planning to get a leopard gecko because I heard they are great beginner reptile pets! I've been researching them beforehand, and I noticed that they don't need a UVB lamp or a heat rock, which is quite different from a bearded dragon. I have made a whole note-full of things that will help me on owning a leopard gecko in the near future (planning to get one in June) But here's the list of supplies I'm planning to get:

Budget is $150 for 2(?) female leopard geckos
MUST HAVES
* 20 gallon tank
-Exo Terra Outback Terrarium, 25”Lx19.6”x13.3”H would be a dream ($85)
xxxx-If not, just purchase it for ($30)
* Under tank heater (UTH)
* Thermometer and/or Thermostat
* Substrate (flooring) - The following are diff. options
xxxx- Coconut fiber
xxxx- Terrarium moss
xxxx- Excavator clay
* Vitamin Supplements
- Calcium without D3 powder w/vitamins
* Hides: Warm, cool, & moist (between hot and cool side)

OPTIONAL ITEMS
* Day & Night Reptile bulb
* Analog Time Power
* Can get decorations from some art store
* Mealworm dish

I would also like to ask about substrate. Now I know that any sand is terrible for leopard geckos. I want to ask which substrate would be the best for them that is more natural to their environment, safe, and doesn't look terrible? I want to spoil them as much as I can, and I don't really want to use paper towels since it doesn't look very nice to me.
I would also like to ask if anyone can give me more tips and if I have anything off with my list please let me know! I would like to do the best I can (:
Also does anyone know where I can get these supplies cheaply in one go as well? I would like some website options as well ! Any tips would be great.
Last edited by vencrypt on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

herpetology | aquascaping | entomology
xxxxthey/them | artist | ecologist

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

❝ ❝
Don't you ever feel like you've been destined for something bigger than your skin?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX❞ ❞
xxHeyo I'm Ven. I like reptiles and fish. Currently in college pursuing
a major in Ecology and Environmental Science degree, with a focus on ichthyology.

xxxxxxxx
img by
crowprince
xxxxxxxx
vencrypt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:20 pm

vencrypt wrote:Hey guys! I've been obsessed with reptiles for a while now, and I'm planning to get a leopard gecko because I heard they are great beginner reptile pets! I've been researching them beforehand, and I noticed that they don't need a UVB lamp or a heat rock, which is quite different from a bearded dragon. I have made a whole note-full of things that will help me on owning a leopard gecko in the near future (planning to get one in June) But here's the list of supplies I'm planning to get:

MUST HAVES
* 20 gallon tank
xxxx- Coconut fiber
xxxx- Terrarium moss
xxxx- Excavator clay
* Vitamin Supplements
* Hides: Warm, cool, & moist (between cool and cool side)

OPTIONAL ITEMS
* Analog Time Power
* Mealworm dish

I would also like to ask about substrate. Now I know that any sand is terrible for leopard geckos. I want to ask which substrate would be the best for them that is more natural to their environment, safe, and doesn't look terrible? I want to spoil them as much as I can, and I don't really want to use paper towels since it doesn't look very nice to me.
I would also like to ask if anyone can give me more tips and if I have anything off with my list please let me know! I would like to do the best I can (:
Also does anyone know where I can get these supplies cheaply in one go as well? I would like some website options as well ! Any tips would be great.

are you planning on keeping them in the same tan? if you are, I strongly urge you to get one. While it is safer to house two females together rather than two males, there is still a risk that one will end up with severe injuries. There is no benefit to the reptile, other than you not having to spend money on two set ups, and while everything may go well for a while, it's always ok until its not. A gecko can end up dead because the other snaps at it even after years of living together.
I prefer excavator clay for substrate, even though its a little pricier than others. It looks the nicest in my opinion and its easy to clean and revamp when you want to.
I also noticed that you listed day/night bulb- if you're going to get a bulb, which isn't a bad idea imo, you don't need any light on at night. If you need additional night heat, use a ceramic heat emitter on a dimmer. Light at night can disrupt sleeps cycles which affects mental health and the body in more ways than just not getting sleep.
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jayus » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:24 pm

vencrypt wrote:Hey guys! I've been obsessed with reptiles for a while now, and I'm planning to get a leopard gecko because I heard they are great beginner reptile pets! I've been researching them beforehand, and I noticed that they don't need a UVB lamp or a heat rock, which is quite different from a bearded dragon. I have made a whole note-full of things that will help me on owning a leopard gecko in the near future (planning to get one in June) But here's the list of supplies I'm planning to get:

MUST HAVES
* 20 gallon tank
xxxx- Coconut fiber
xxxx- Terrarium moss
xxxx- Excavator clay
* Vitamin Supplements

OPTIONAL ITEMS
* Analog Time Power
* Mealworm dish

- They are great beginner pets, but you can't cohab them! They're really likely to fight, and will be pretty stressed if you cohab them.
- Most people don't put night lights on their reptiles--we're not quite capable of getting lights to produce as little light as the moon does, so it's preferable to just turn all lights off at night.
- I have Peep in $1 plastic flower pots, just from the dollar store. I cut doors in them, and they're her favorite hides. I also put torn up paper towels in them, which holds moisture for her and also enrichment. I have UVB on her per the vet's recommendation (she's a rescue leo with MBD), and she will shove the scraps in the door so that light doesn't come in.
- I have both my geckos on tile! I got it all for less than $10 from Home Depot, and you can pick colors/designs. Make sure that they have something soft to climb on if you do go this route though. Peep has a fabric bag to hide in, Eros has a little beanie and fabric scraps.
- some geckos are moss eaters. be careful lol peep throws hers EVERYWHERE like a child
- here's a good tumblr blog with a whole tag devoted to leopard gecko tanks! http://amazingpetenclosures.tumblr.com/ ... ard-geckos
- get separate calcium and vitamins :0 I put out a dish of calcium for the both of them, so they can freely lick it up. (Do not free feed calc w/d3, they can OD). I then dust their food with vitamins, and also dust the food's food with vitamins haha (I give the mealworms and dubias veggie scraps to make them nutritious. also peep spits out vitamin dusted food. what a toddler).
- amazon has e v e r y t h i n g
jayus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CSF » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:01 pm

MUST HAVES
* 20 gallon tank
xxxx- Coconut fiber
xxxx- Terrarium moss
xxxx- Excavator clay
* Vitamin Supplements

OPTIONAL ITEMS
* Analog Time Power
* Mealworm dish

I agree with the first two people, except they don't really need lights. I just let the light coming through from my window and my room light be enough. As long as you have their UTH and thermostat, you shouldn't need additional heat lights unless your room temp is unusually cold.

Leo's are crepuscular, so they are most active during the early mornings and evenings. While some don't mind lights, they can cause issues for albino morphs. I've had my leopard gecko, Ghost for a few years now and I keep her on non-adhesive shelf liner. While it isn't the most natural, it is easy to clean and comes in many patterns. It also helps prevent impaction. The one below is the one I have. Also, loose substrate of any kind isn't ideal because leopard geckos have a Jacobson's organ which causes them to lick everything. It helps them know the space around them. Excavator clay is fine as long as you vacuum the loose pieces.

As stated above, co-habbing is strongly advised against(even with two females). They are solitary creatures and will only see each other as competition. When you see in pictures that two are sleeping in the same spot they are not cuddling, it is them trying to show dominance by claiming that spot as theirs.

Have you thought about feeders yet? You might also want a temperature gun so you can monitor the surface temp where your gecko will be living. This can help you set your thermostat to the proper temps. You have a pretty good list now and have clearly done research ^-^ I commend you on that because I've seen cases where people think a pet is cool and they buy one with the kit that the pet store recommends and it isn't even close to what they actually need.

Here is another helpful link about care :)
http://lizardbeans.tumblr.com/post/1098 ... gecko-care

Be careful with heat rocks, they have no way of regulating their temp and can get too hot and burn your reptile.
Attachments
shelf liner.jpeg
shelf liner.jpeg (42.33 KiB) Viewed 112 times
CSF

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FriedApplePie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:08 pm

Hi there!

I didn't know this thread existed, but does anyone own chameleons? I've had Jackson's and Panther Chameleons, who were all easy to handle, but a few months ago I got a Veiled Chameleon. She's been doing well, but what's the best way to get them used to you? She was on sale at a pet store, 75% off because she wasn't small any more, and I was able to get her. I unfortunately do not know her exact age, but she is young. I do not think she's over a year old. She was on the top shelf since they got her, usually ignored, and was known to be very aggressive. The employees were afraid to even put their hands near her, and they literally had to get multiple people to catch her. At first I could not even get any where near her without her being distressed, so I've been working very slowly with her. She now will eat out of my hand and will occasionally let me pick her up so she is making progress.

She's also a very picky eater, unlike my other chameleons. My other chameleons enjoy eating pretty much any feeder insects I can get a hold of, but she seems to only enjoy crickets? She just seems very uninterested no matter what I do. For example, if I have meal worms she will very seldom touch them. I usually keep them in a feeder bowl so they're easier to find, I feed with both a shallow bowl and let some insects roam, but she hardly touches anything except for the crickets. It is very strange to me since my other chameleons love a different variety but she seems to only care for crickets. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Other than that, she seems to be perfectly healthy and active. I assume that she must just be used to feeder crickets, or they're just simply her favorite thing to eat.

Just as a question: What is your reptiles favorite treat? :)
Personally my Jackson's love anything that's worm-like and my Panther loves roaches (I hate when those suckers get out :lol:)

████
████
𝗼𝘂 𝘄𝗮𝗻𝘁 𝗮 𝗽𝗶𝗲𝗰𝗲xx

.xxImage
...▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
┌───────┐

Returning Member
October 12th
Loving Apple Pie

└───────┘
x
- of
me?
FriedApplePie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vencrypt » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:53 am

@control @jayus @CSF
Thank you so much for the advice! They really help, and that link of the gecko tanks really inspire me :D I've watched a bunch of videos to get some ideas and some personal opinions from others. I still have some questions, since I want to try my best ahhhHHhHh

So all of you said that housing 2 female leos aren't recommended, and I see why, but I see many people housing 2 or more leos together, whether it be 2 females and 1 male. I'm not sure if it's just for breeding purposes or to save money. But I've heard that you set them apart with a divider in the middle, so they can be able to see and smell each other by that and can get used to each other that way? I've also heard you should also give enough hides, food, and space so they don't compete.I just want to see other opinions on this, since I've seen this a lot of people and geckos have no problem with this, I presume.

I would also like to ask about morphs. I see some morphs are much more expensive and some are cheaper. I was wondering why it's like that, considering maybe supply and demand factor into the price I'm guessing? I was planning to get a raptor or super snow, or as a dream, a black velvet. But as a starter, I should just purchase a common morph. Anyone have any ideas?

I heard there's different types of worm that are available, such as mealworms and hornworms and all that. Which ones are the best to start out with, and what type of nutrition do they hold? I would also like to ask on behalf of the crickets as well. When and how much should I give in one setting? I've heard multiple answers such as when dawn kicks in and feed them until they're full.

And last question about holding them and taking them out of their tanks. I've heard to let them take a week off in their tank to get used to it and find out where everything is. I've also heard that it could tank at least a week or more for them to get used to you if you hold them for 10-15 minutes a day. How long can I handle a gecko out of its enclosure without letting it get cold? Also what do you do if one bites you? Because if anything bites me I usually start thrashing my hand out and I really don't want to do that with a Leo.

Thank you for the tips and I appreciate this thread ahh (just trying my best to not kill anything else rip)

❝ ❝
Don't you ever feel like you've been destined for something bigger than your skin?
a major in Ecology and Environmental Science degree, with a focus on ichthyology.

xxxxxxxx
img by
crowprince
xxxxxxxx
vencrypt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CSF » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:40 pm

vencrypt wrote:@control @jayus @CSF
Thank you so much for the advice! They really help, and that link of the gecko tanks really inspire me :D I've watched a bunch of videos to get some ideas and some personal opinions from others. I still have some questions, since I want to try my best ahhhHHhHh

So all of you said that housing 2 female leos aren't recommended, and I see why, but I see many people housing 2 or more leos together, whether it be 2 females and 1 male. I'm not sure if it's just for breeding purposes or to save money. But I've heard that you set them apart with a divider in the middle, so they can be able to see and smell each other by that and can get used to each other that way? I've also heard you should also give enough hides, food, and space so they don't compete.I just want to see other opinions on this, since I've seen this a lot of people and geckos have no problem with this, I presume.

I would also like to ask about morphs. I see some morphs are much more expensive and some are cheaper. I was wondering why it's like that, considering maybe supply and demand factor into the price I'm guessing? I was planning to get a raptor or super snow, or as a dream, a black velvet. But as a starter, I should just purchase a common morph. Anyone have any ideas?

I heard there's different types of worm that are available, such as mealworms and hornworms and all that. Which ones are the best to start out with, and what type of nutrition do they hold? I would also like to ask on behalf of the crickets as well. When and how much should I give in one setting? I've heard multiple answers such as when dawn kicks in and feed them until they're full.

And last question about holding them and taking them out of their tanks. I've heard to let them take a week off in their tank to get used to it and find out where everything is. I've also heard that it could tank at least a week or more for them to get used to you if you hold them for 10-15 minutes a day. How long can I handle a gecko out of its enclosure without letting it get cold? Also what do you do if one bites you? Because if anything bites me I usually start thrashing my hand out and I really don't want to do that with a Leo.

Thank you for the tips and I appreciate this thread ahh (just trying my best to not kill anything else rip)

Some people co-hab for breeding and claim 2 females and 1 male is okay, but the truth is they can snap at any time and you won't see it coming until after the damage is done. They could be fine for years but then one attacks the other for seemingly no reason. I personally wouldn't risk it. Also, when you have more than one gecko you have to be aware that if one gets sick, there's a decent chance the other one will if they're in the same tank. Many people use dividers to put two geckos in one tank, but I wouldn't make it transparent. It will stress them out and they will be worried about an enemy gecko encroaching on their space.

Certain morphs are more expensive than others, especially when you buy from a breeder and you know the specific genetics. You don't necessarily need to know their genetics, unless you plan on breeding them. Then genetics is an absolute must. I got my leo from a friend who didn't want theirs and they got her from a friend who I believe got her from a pet store. I know what her visual morph is but not genetic morph. I have a super hypo tangerine carrot tail baldy.

For feeders, I started out using crickets but switched to dubia roaches because crickets were smelly, not that nutritious, and can bite the gecko. Now that she's full grown I give her mealworms and superworms. Always make sure the insects you give are the proper size so they can properly eat and digest them ^-^ Most recommend giving as much food as they can eat in 15 min. As for how often, young geckos should be fed every day. Fully grown leos can be fed ever other. Make sure to dust your feeder insects and/or gutload them before giving them to your gecko.

Definitely wait 1-2 weeks for your leo to settle in. You can set your hand in the tank for 10-15 min every day so they can get used to your scent and know you're not a threat. If they seem distressed, remove your hand. You can also leave a small towel, glove, or shirt in their enclosure so they get used to your smell. When attempting to pick up your gecko, try not to come down from above them as this can frighten them into thinking you're attacking. When startled they may bite or in some cases drop their tail. A young gecko will shake their tail and/or scream at things that scare it. Tail shakes can also be a sign of excitement when they're hunting.

If one does bite you, try not to thrash or remove the gecko. That can cause further damage to you and them. To help eliminate the chances of being bit, make sure to keep your gecko's tank somewhere where it can get used to seeing you and hearing your voice. Mine is in my room on my desk. I'm not always by my desk, but she can peek her head out and recognize me and she knows what my voice sounds like so she is used to it. Now when I put my hand in the tank she will often climb on to it if she wants to come out ^-^ I've had her for 2.5 years now and have never been bit. Sometimes I'll walk into my room too fast and she'll freak out and scurry into one of her hides, but she's not afraid of me.
CSF

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:56 pm

vencrypt wrote:@control @jayus @CSF

yeah, lot of people do keep them together, but that doesn't make it right. The bottom line is that somewhere along the line there is a possibility for one to snap at the other, and there's no reason to even risk it. The options are house one and there's no chance of it being injured by another or keep two in the same encolsure and there's a constant risk that one will end up injured. I believe its ethically wrong, but also, that's a risk for pricey vet bills to consider as well

some morphs are more expensive because they're new, or because the genetics aren't fully understood yet and so they're harder to breed. supply and demand also play a part. Common morphs are also cute, but morph doesn't play a part in care at all (except albinos) so you don't have to start with a 'normal' if you don't want to. There's lots of cool morphs that are still really affordable for new keepers

Superworms should be fed over mealworms, they have more 'meat' to them so to say. But really, superworms are extremely high in fat and should be fed only a few a week. Crickets are better, but if you can, dubia roaches are the most nutritious. They don't smell, can't climb smooth walls, and can't fly, and can't infest your home (unless you live in like florida). As well as other roach species, but dubia are most common as feeders. They're much better to use as a staple for the health of the animal, but crickets work as well. Superworms do not, as you will end up with an obese animal with fatty deposits around internal organs very quickly.

Yes, you're right, give them at least a week to settle in. Some people then begin by picking the gecko up and holding it in their hand in the tank for a few minutes a day, or every other, before graduating to taking them out completely. I like to let new animals get used to me by keeping them in the living room for the first week or two so they can get used to my movements and me and the dog being around. They are then moved to their permanent spot, and I interact with them by just putting my hand in the cage for a few minutes a day and letting them come to me to check me out, then starting to pet them or touch them. When they're comfortable enough to crawl into my hand I then begin to pick them up for a few minutes at a time, and then move on to taking them out of their cage entirely. I think this helps keep their stress much lower than basically being assaulted by being picked up and removed forcibly. Its important to be in tune to your animals body language and behavior while doing this, as its the best indicator of stress. Every animal is different in how long they can go being handled before becoming stressed. You'll get to know your specific animal and their signs over time
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mi ainsel » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:07 pm

It’s important to mention as well that Leopard Geckos, like many reptiles, are not social animals. They do not gain any benefit from being kept together, it is solely for the sake of the keeper that they are cohabbed, whether that be due to breeders saving space or people who do not know any better.

As someone who owns a bearded dragon with a leg and half his tail missing because he was cohabbed at the store he came from, I feel it’s important to put the needs of the animal before your own. You may gain enjoyment from owning two geckos, but they gain nothing positive, and you should always put them first.

My deviantART
Guess who’s back on CS? It’s been a while.
art by trashqrince <3

mi ainsel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vencrypt » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:08 am

Alright, thank you so much ! I guess I'll just get one gecko then (:
And thank you all for the tips, I really appreciate it !

❝ ❝

xxxxxxxx
img by
crowprince
xxxxxxxx
vencrypt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me