Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Postby CSF » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:31 pm

Queenie! wrote:Has anyone else had issues getting their leopard gecko to eat food from tongs? My gecko, Sobek, has poor vision, so he struggles catching his food on his own. I bought a pair of tongs yesterday and tried to feed him with them, but he wouldn't grab the food while it was in the tongs. I've tried feeding him both a cricket and a meal worm this way, but he wouldn't take either one unless I dropped them in front of him. I'm not sure if it's because his vision is mostly movement-based at this point, or what. The tongs are bright red in color for some reason, maybe the color might be putting him off? I'm kind of grabbing at straws at this point, any help is very much appreciated. ;u;

Maybe a bowl for the mealworms? I feed dubia roaches and superworms out of a bowl. This way they can't get too far if they miss ^-^
CSF

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:54 pm

CSF wrote:
Queenie! wrote:Has anyone else had issues getting their leopard gecko to eat food from tongs? My gecko, Sobek, has poor vision, so he struggles catching his food on his own. I bought a pair of tongs yesterday and tried to feed him with them, but he wouldn't grab the food while it was in the tongs. I've tried feeding him both a cricket and a meal worm this way, but he wouldn't take either one unless I dropped them in front of him. I'm not sure if it's because his vision is mostly movement-based at this point, or what. The tongs are bright red in color for some reason, maybe the color might be putting him off? I'm kind of grabbing at straws at this point, any help is very much appreciated. ;u;

Maybe a bowl for the mealworms? I feed dubia roaches and superworms out of a bowl. This way they can't get too far if they miss ^-^

I never thought of doing that, actually. ^^" I'll have to go and buy a bowl soon. Hopefully that helps for the mealworms, at least. Any ideas for the crickets? I've heard that removing their back legs is supposed to make them slower, but doing that makes me feel bad. ;; I will if I have to, just want to know if there's anything else I could try first.
Edit: I'm gonna buy some regular tweezers and see if that helps.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CSF » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:20 am

Queenie! wrote:
CSF wrote:

I never thought of doing that, actually. ^^" I'll have to go and buy a bowl soon. Hopefully that helps for the mealworms, at least. Any ideas for the crickets? I've heard that removing their back legs is supposed to make them slower, but doing that makes me feel bad. ;; I will if I have to, just want to know if there's anything else I could try first.
Edit: I'm gonna buy some regular tweezers and see if that helps.

I'm not sure about the crickets. I stopped feeding mine that. For the bowl, make sure it's one that is glazed/sealed so the surface is slick enough the mealworms can't climb out of it :)
CSF

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vencrypt » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:27 pm

I've got this food bowl for all my geckos. works awesome.

herpetology | aquascaping | entomology
xxxxthey/them | artist | ecologist

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

❝ ❝
Don't you ever feel like you've been destined for something bigger than your skin?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX❞ ❞
xxHeyo I'm Ven. I like reptiles and fish. Currently in college pursuing
a major in Ecology and Environmental Science degree, with a focus on ichthyology.

xxxxxxxx
img by
crowprince
xxxxxxxx
vencrypt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cosmicsky » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:10 pm

If you have a gecko that does not show food aggression or tank aggression, I feed mine by hand as she is very gentle and does not orient my hand with food.
cosmicsky

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:43 pm

Youngxwild wrote:

If you have a gecko that does not show food aggression or tank aggression, I feed mine by hand as she is very gentle and does not orient my hand with food.

Well, he sort of does, is the problem. He's lunged at my fingers before, though I'm not sure if it was on purpose or because he thought my finger was the worm. I've hand fed him twice before, on the second time he missed and latched onto my finger, so hand feeding isn't a good idea for him. He's also extremely picky with his food. If it touches him even a little bit, he's completely put off from eating for at least an hour after. So I have to be really careful with him or else he just won't eat.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raven_Wolf » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:04 am

Anyone on here have a lot of New Calidonian geckos? I got a baby Chahoua gecko not that long ago and would like to get a Gargoyle gecko and a Leachianus gecko. Pic of my baby Chahoua for entertainment ^^

ImageImage
Raven_Wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cribunni » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:43 pm

Haven’t posted in awhile,, thought I’d share Sage’s growth with you all!

[few days after I bought him]

[recent]

He’ll be 6 months by the end of February! He’s grown so much since December~

(Big post sorry hh)

ImageImageImage
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
MATTY !! ANY PRONOUNS !! LESBIAN
deviant art . toyhou.se . art shoppe .
cribunni

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Taiger Lilly » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:21 am

What's everyone's favourite thermostat?
I've got Buttercup ( Female Pastel BP) set up with a herpstat intro+ but the probe started to fail occasionally (I had the old version) and I had to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a replacement probe since I'm in Canada.
Taiger Lilly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CSF » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:45 pm

Taiger Lilly wrote:What's everyone's favourite thermostat?
I've got Buttercup ( Female Pastel BP) set up with a herpstat intro+ but the probe started to fail occasionally (I had the old version) and I had to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a replacement probe since I'm in Canada.

I have a jumpstart one ^-^
CSF

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me