Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Postby Skysuits » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:24 am

vencrypt wrote:
Skysuits wrote:Hey guys! I'm thinking about getting a crested gecko soon and was looking for some tips, set up tips and handling tips please!

I currently have a 10 gallon,which I read was a good size for a baby and then upgrade them into a bigger one when they are older, but I'm not sure what some good things to put in it are? What do you guys use?

you should have lots of cover for them. Good cover would be some long pvc pipes. You should have at least a 30(height)x12(width)x12(length) enclosure for an adult. This can be either a plastic bin or a glass enclosure, just have to have humidity.

Silk leaves are advised though, plastic ones can do. The best way to go is bioactive too (;

for now I got 3 fake plants, a fake stone hide that is pretty tall so they can climb to the top,some wooden sticks, and fake vines so they can climb around. I will post a picture once everything arrives!

I will try to do a bioactive enclosure next year maybe, just want to get used to caring for the gecko first without having to worrying about the plants for now!

I will also upgrade it to the exo terra small tall terrarium when they get older!
Skysuits

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vencrypt » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:35 am

Skysuits wrote:
vencrypt wrote:
Skysuits wrote:Hey guys! I'm thinking about getting a crested gecko soon and was looking for some tips, set up tips and handling tips please!

I currently have a 10 gallon,which I read was a good size for a baby and then upgrade them into a bigger one when they are older, but I'm not sure what some good things to put in it are? What do you guys use?

you should have lots of cover for them. Good cover would be some long pvc pipes. You should have at least a 30(height)x12(width)x12(length) enclosure for an adult. This can be either a plastic bin or a glass enclosure, just have to have humidity.

Silk leaves are advised though, plastic ones can do. The best way to go is bioactive too (;

for now I got 3 fake plants, a fake stone hide that is pretty tall so they can climb to the top,some wooden sticks, and fake vines so they can climb around. I will post a picture once everything arrives!

I will try to do a bioactive enclosure next year maybe, just want to get used to caring for the gecko first without having to worrying about the plants for now!

I will also upgrade it to the exo terra small tall terrarium when they get older!

that's good. if you ever do go bioactive, you should have the enclosure running alone without the gecko for about a month so you can keep track of the growth and such.

aloe~ wrote:
Hello guys!
I’m getting a Leopard Gecko very soon (in the next month I believe)! It’ll be my very first reptile I’ve ever owned and I’m quite excited! I’ve done loads of research on them, so I’m really confident in my ability to take care of the little guy. I was just wondering about what type of hides would be appropriate on each side however. I was thinking a log hide on the warm side and a cave on the cool side. Also maybe a cave for the humid hide (might just use a cleaned out sour cream container though lol). Would those hides work well?

It doesn't matter what hide you use tbh. I have had 5 Leos of my own and all of them have different ones, ranging from plastic tupperwear with a hole cut in it (and sanded on the edges) to real good store bought hides. As long as they have something above their heads and enough room to move around and the temperature gradient is good, I don't think the types of hides matter.

herpetology | aquascaping | entomology
xxxxthey/them | artist | ecologist

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

❝ ❝
Don't you ever feel like you've been destined for something bigger than your skin?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX❞ ❞
xxHeyo I'm Ven. I like reptiles and fish. Currently in college pursuing
a major in Ecology and Environmental Science degree, with a focus on ichthyology.

xxxxxxxx
img by
crowprince
xxxxxxxx
vencrypt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AuraDragoness » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:15 am

So I got a few slider turtle questions for anyone with experience.

1. What's the hatch rate of slider turtle eggs if they are dug up and put in an incubator? I ask 'cause we got 3 nesting females on our property and just a few minutes before this post I saw a rat (i think it was a rat) around the nesting area and those things eat turtle eggs. (and if there's 1 rat then there's usually more right?)

1a. Do mice eat turtle eggs?

2. How many days do slider turtles lay eggs for? Do they lay them all at once or do they space it out between a few days until they've laid the maximum amount?
🐦 ♥ Rest in peace my sweet little Rainbow ♥ 🐦
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
AuraDragoness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Skysuits » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:51 am

Can anyone make a list or something of crested gecko morphs from least expensive/ rare to most expensive/ rare ? or just summarize some?
Skysuits

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vencrypt » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:47 pm

Skysuits wrote:Can anyone make a list or something of crested gecko morphs from least expensive/ rare to most expensive/ rare ? or just summarize some?

Crested Gecko Morphs+Colors Genetics info

Crested Gecko morphs for sale

I listed some crested gecko info, but there isn't a crested gecko morph chart that actually rates the most expensive to least expensive because a lot of crested geckos of het genes that don't display it but when you breed, the babies will. Morph market is a great place to check for morph prices because they fluctuate significantly depending on their genes.

Here is an article about the fluctuation of prices for cresties

❝ ❝
Don't you ever feel like you've been destined for something bigger than your skin?
a major in Ecology and Environmental Science degree, with a focus on ichthyology.

xxxxxxxx
img by
crowprince
xxxxxxxx
vencrypt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:07 pm

Have any of you ever worked at a reptile shop and helped improve their care? How'd you go about it? I am working at one right now, it's my second job ever, and their care is pretty bad. It's gotten significantly better since me and my friend started working there, but it still needs major improvement, particularly with their lizards.

Here's a leopard gecko i took home before i started working there. I was told I could take her since she was so sick, but she bounced right back after she was given proper husbandry.
(top pics are from september 9th, bottom are from october 10th. ~19 g. to ~48 g.)
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby endermiss » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:18 am

maninkari wrote:Have any of you ever worked at a reptile shop and helped improve their care? How'd you go about it? I am working at one right now, it's my second job ever, and their care is pretty bad. It's gotten significantly better since me and my friend started working there, but it still needs major improvement, particularly with their lizards.

Here's a leopard gecko i took home before i started working there. I was told I could take her since she was so sick, but she bounced right back after she was given proper husbandry.
(top pics are from september 9th, bottom are from october 10th. ~19 g. to ~48 g.)

probably just talk to your manager about your concerns.

"I noticed that [animal] doesn't have [item]. on all care sites ive read it says they need [item]."
endermiss

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vencrypt » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:06 am

maninkari wrote:Have any of you ever worked at a reptile shop and helped improve their care? How'd you go about it? I am working at one right now, it's my second job ever, and their care is pretty bad. It's gotten significantly better since me and my friend started working there, but it still needs major improvement, particularly with their lizards.

If you work at big chain companies like (Petsmart or petco) then most likely you may not be able to care for its needs not because they don't necessarily 'care' but because they have a specific policy that prevents them from doing so, so it's not up to the employees how they care for the animals. I had a friend who worked at my local petco and they had a sick giant mountain lizard who they weren't able to save because it was "against their policy." I think its because it cost too much to help them rather than just getting a new replacement.

If you work at a local pet store that's not part of a chain store, then you're more likely to help considering if you asked the store owner or your manager. Best of luck!

❝ ❝

xxxxxxxx
img by
crowprince
xxxxxxxx
vencrypt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby endermiss » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:26 am

what up I'm Ender and I have 2 geckos

Zulu - African Fat Tail Gecko (normal morph)

Domino - Crested Gecko (yellow brindle with dal spots)
endermiss

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vencrypt » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:07 am

@endermisa ahhh they’re so cute I love them!!! My aft sleeps so much );

❝ ❝

xxxxxxxx
img by
crowprince
xxxxxxxx
vencrypt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me