Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby Faybell » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:40 pm

I hate putting a damper on things but I'm pretty depressed. Aika isn't getting better and even acted aggressive towards my SO yesterday. She treats me like a stranger if I'm gone for a day or if I'm wearing new clothes and it just hurts to be excited to see her after being gone but her not caring and even acting like she will bite me when I return. Me and my SO are talking about rehoming her or bringing her back to the shelter... but it's just if she acts like this would anyone even want her? We've had her for four months. Shouldn't a dog be bonded to us by now? :(
Faybell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby skypoppy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:21 pm

Hello there dog owners/lovers!
My family’s getting a puppy for Christmas! I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on breeds? We are planning on getting a purebred - but we’d like a more uncommon breed. Probably around medium sized, no spaniels and pretty fluffy is what we’re thinking. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

hey! i'm sky!
i like music and animals
i have a lot of nostalgia for this site
so i hop on occasionally
always open to trades, my pets
are kinda rotting
she/her

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

skypoppy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:34 pm

SkyPoppy wrote:Hello there dog owners/lovers!
My family’s getting a puppy for Christmas! I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on breeds? We are planning on getting a purebred - but we’d like a more uncommon breed. Probably around medium sized, no spaniels and pretty fluffy is what we’re thinking. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

There's a "What Breed for Me" form on the first page you can fill out. You haven't provided enough information of what you're looking for to narrow it down. What kind of energy level does your family want? Will this be your family's first dog? What activities does your family want to do with the new dog?
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby awakening souls. » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:36 pm

SkyPoppy wrote:Hello there dog owners/lovers!

Thanks!

Try filling out this form so we can better help you!

Have you had dogs before? What breeds?
Are there any breeds that have already caught your eye? If so, why?
How much time a day do you have to devote to training your dog?
What kind of grooming needs are you prepared to handle?
What kind of energy level are you looking for?
What do you plan on doing with your dog?
What size dog are you wanting?
What age dog are you looking for?
What kind of livestyle do you live? (Active, couch potato etc)
awakening souls.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby warmblood » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:00 pm

RWBY Rose wrote:I hate putting a damper on things but I'm pretty depressed. Aika isn't getting better and even acted aggressive towards my SO yesterday. She treats me like a stranger if I'm gone for a day or if I'm wearing new clothes and it just hurts to be excited to see her after being gone but her not caring and even acting like she will bite me when I return. Me and my SO are talking about rehoming her or bringing her back to the shelter... but it's just if she acts like this would anyone even want her? We've had her for four months. Shouldn't a dog be bonded to us by now? :(

sorry to hear that. if you brought her back to a shelter a no-kill one would be best, as I'm not sure that people would want to adopt her if she acts like this, unfortunately. I haven't been keeping up on this thread but what's her back story, or any info that might help me understand her situation a bit better? every dog is different and she might just need more time, however she might and will probably get harder to deal with as she gets older.

something helpful to keep in mind is that animals aren't like humans. I believe they do everything for a reason. they aren't spontaneous and random.
warmblood

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:17 pm

@
Imzadi83 ^ Aw, do you have a picture of her in it?

you mean the selfmade dog coat? yes...but im unsure to show it...i like it and family says its cute and not bad for that i did start to crochet and some little knitting only a month or so back^//^...but it is my very first try on this, it was done with crochet...only did scarfes and 2 easy to make hats and such :oops: so let me think about showing it, for a bit :lol:

-------
@
RWBY Rose wrote:I hate putting a damper on things but I'm pretty depressed. Aika isn't getting better and even acted aggressive towards my SO yesterday. She treats me like a stranger if I'm gone for a day or if I'm wearing new clothes and it just hurts to be excited to see her after being gone but her not caring and even acting like she will bite me when I return. Me and my SO are talking about rehoming her or bringing her back to the shelter... but it's just if she acts like this would anyone even want her? We've had her for four months. Shouldn't a dog be bonded to us by now? :(

may i ask...what do you do each day with her...how much workout training does she get,...how do you say hello to her ...it is not easy to say when one does not know much... :?:

could you do a video with one of this "attacks" . :?: .it could be also a true fearful reaction and not simply aggression...then you need right training!
when she is checked out by a vet, and no problem with blood, bone, brain and such...then there could be something else...like how you come home and say hello...

...but there is this old saying "you dont get the dog you want, but the dog you and the dog need, but sometimes it is bether to try out if there is not a bether owner for the dog " and not every dog will trust you..sa as it is...or you Need to find the right Thing to break down the fearful walls around her..

with rehoming, do you know People who would be interested?....maybe let her find her own person...ask people who would be interested in her, to come ad sit around let the dog sniff them out, when you are lucky she will go to one...
Last edited by Luzien on Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eleutheromania » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:25 pm

my photogenic drag queen and the turd that can’t take pictures to save his life on our four mile trail walk today. loki actually seemed at home on the fall tree that was over five feet above the ground. had to get the bf to get him up there and pose lol.

eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Faybell » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:02 pm

She's a 9 month old dachsund mix. We got her at 5 months old. She had a previous own who gave her up claiming they couldn't afford her. My boyfriend said he thinks remember reading on her papers that she was on the street before the last owner.

The first month we had her she was mostly a normal dog. She would try to get people to pet her and try to be friendly with other dogs. She nipped really bad though... like she would grab a foot and try to shake it. After a week of stopping playing with her when her teeth touched us she started just lightly play nipping. She did have a temper though.. if we left the room for her biting she would toss her toys and grumble.

After the first month she started barking at people far away... and it just esculated to her trying to lunge at people and barking aggressively.

I'm home pretty much everyday because of my disability and I'm her main caregiver. I've taken care of her four months... but if I'm gone for even one day she treats me like a stranger for a few minutes, barking and growls at me. If I try to pet her before she is done smelling me she will aggressively nip at me.

As far as we know there is no reason she should be acting this way. We use only use positive training. The worst just telling her no or ehh when she nips too hard. We've heard that dogs go through a fear faze but she acts like she doesn't even trust us sometimes... and it makes us feel like she doesn't have any sort of bond to us. She has her moments where she acts sweet to us but it's more how I expect a strangers dog to treat me, not my own dog.

Luzien: I'm with her all day. I've trained her, she knows sit, lay down, shake, stay, leave it, drop it, hi five, and roll over. I talk to her... I treat her like a human child. I talk to her, play with her, etc. This isn't from not getting enough exercise. I've had a couple dogs growing up (among horses, cows, chickens, rabbits, etc. I grew up on a farm) and so has my SO... and all my family members agree she's not acting like a normal dog. There isn't anything wrong with her physically. It's fear aggression... I can feel her heart racing when we pass strangers.

The thing is she has no reason to be scared of me and my SO. We've only ever treated her kindly... she wasn't abused as far as we are aware. Her being afraid and not trusting us after FOUR months of us only being gone a day makes me feel like there is no attachment to us and that she doesn't trust us. I can understand a mont or two... but this is four months since we adopted her. If we wait another four months it's only going to hurt more to give her up.

She is nice to us don't get us wrong but like I've said she treats us like I expect a strangers dog to treat us. She will come up to us and play with us but she acts like she doesn't trust us.

Edit: and no we don't know anyone who would be interested. Everyone we know has kids and as is I would not trust her around kids.
Faybell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby warmblood » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:14 pm

@RWBY Rose

Perhaps you could incorporate some negative training (only verbal, of course). I find it to be much more effective, and less confusing for the dog. Whenever she nips or acts aggressively, just tell her no, firmly. The lunging is no good, it could get her in some trouble. Luckily she is (I'm assuming, because of the dashsund) a smaller breed. I've seen tiny dogs get away with horrid things that would get a larger dog put down, just because of their size. Your choice would be best though, as you know her the best. If you insist on using positive training, a clicker might help. I've found that a clicker is a effective way to reward and clears up confusion.
CRAZY ,
┌───────────┐

formerly halø & pills
i enjoy roleplaying, &
playing a large variety
of sports. i ♡ music ;)
i also show jump horses!
i love dogs,and currently i
own a red boston terrier,
feel free to give me a pm, or
send me a trade. I speak
several languages.

└───────────┘
❝ MY REALITY IS ❞
JUSTImage
── FROM YOURS . ──
CRE
DIT

────────
bee!
[[ link here ]]
[[ link here ]]
[[ link here ]]
[[ link here ]]

warmblood

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:28 pm

RWBY Rose wrote:She's a 9 month old dachsund mix. We got her at 5 months old. She had a previous own who gave her up claiming they couldn't afford her. My boyfriend said he thinks remember reading on her papers that she was on the street before the last owner.

The first month we had her she was mostly a normal dog. She would try to get people to pet her and try to be friendly with other dogs. She nipped really bad though... like she would grab a foot and try to shake it. After a week of stopping playing with her when her teeth touched us she started just lightly play nipping. She did have a temper though.. if we left the room for her biting she would toss her toys and grumble.

After the first month she started barking at people far away... and it just esculated to her trying to lunge at people and barking aggressively.

I'm home pretty much everyday because of my disability and I'm her main caregiver. I've taken care of her four months... but if I'm gone for even one day she treats me like a stranger for a few minutes, barking and growls at me. If I try to pet her before she is done smelling me she will aggressively nip at me.

As far as we know there is no reason she should be acting this way. We use only use positive training. The worst just telling her no or ehh when she nips too hard. We've heard that dogs go through a fear faze but she acts like she doesn't even trust us sometimes... and it makes us feel like she doesn't have any sort of bond to us. She has her moments where she acts sweet to us but it's more how I expect a strangers dog to treat me, not my own dog.

Luzien: I'm with her all day. I've trained her, she knows sit, lay down, shake, stay, leave it, drop it, hi five, and roll over. I talk to her... I treat her like a human child. I talk to her, play with her, etc. This isn't from not getting enough exercise. I've had a couple dogs growing up (among horses, cows, chickens, rabbits, etc. I grew up on a farm) and so has my SO... and all my family members agree she's not acting like a normal dog. There isn't anything wrong with her physically. It's fear aggression... I can feel her heart racing when we pass strangers.

The thing is she has no reason to be scared of me and my SO. We've only ever treated her kindly... she wasn't abused as far as we are aware. Her being afraid and not trusting us after FOUR months of us only being gone a day makes me feel like there is no attachment to us and that she doesn't trust us. I can understand a mont or two... but this is four months since we adopted her. If we wait another four months it's only going to hurt more to give her up.

She is nice to us don't get us wrong but like I've said she treats us like I expect a strangers dog to treat us. She will come up to us and play with us but she acts like she doesn't trust us.

Have you talked to your vet about trying some medications to try and help her anxiety? Have you tried any anxiety aids like a Thundershirt, calming collar, etc? These things could aid in training and maybe help her overall demeanor. Sometimes with severe fear/anxiety it can take a long time especially if you haven't found the right mix of things to help her yet. Honestly if she did experience some kind of trauma in her past four months may not be enough but I understand if you're not able to continue on.

Try to continue to manage the situation as best you can, for example if nips when you try to pet her upon first greeting then stop doing that. I know it seems obvious but can be difficult as you have certain expectations of her which she may just not be able to fulfill. Let her sniff you and ignore her, letting her come to you. It may seem like a small thing but to her it may be big thing in learning to trust you.

I don't think her playing with her toys and grumbling when you leave the room is her displaying a temper. She's lost her toy in you and is simply turning her attention onto something else.

If you consider re-homing her I would choose the home/rescue you use carefully. If you can offer to foster her until another home is found. Be honest though about what is going on and what you've tried as this will help in finding a suitable home. It may be that she is just not a good match for your family. The stress that this is causing you and your SO is likely not helping the situation either and could be adding to the problem. She doesn't trust you, you don't trust her, she knows you don't trust her so doesn't trust you, around and around in a negative cycle. Something needs to break that cycle and only you and yours can determine how best to proceed.

In the meantime though I would continue to work on her leash reactivity as best you can so at least if you do decide to rehome she's had a consistent training experience with you. Did I provide you with resources for that before? I'm a bit burned out from the holidays and can't remember, but if I didn't let me know and I'll be happy to send them your way if you want them.

Document all you can, both on paper and video if possible. You don't have to track every minute, but try to write down every time she reacts with fear/anxiety, in what way, for how long, what the reaction is of humans/animals present, what she does after it's over, what you do and how you feel. This information can help others determine what exactly is going on and how best to help. Even if you decide that rehoming is the best option it can be a valuable resource for the rescue and/or new owners to help her.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me