The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby rose.bloom » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:27 am

hello :) i actually only own a rabbit, i don't own any rodents, but i would love to in the future get a hamster.
my mom will never allow it as she hAtEs rodents (she grew up on a farm? she said shes soon a lot of things involving rodents...oof) but even if i have to wait until i move out i will still be happy! have any of you had to convince your parents to get your pets?
rose.bloom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:43 am

@rose.bloom,
oml yes,, my mother despises rats, but after I got a job and a few bucks saved up and proved that I could be fully accountable for his health; my mom still was against it. And I specifically remember telling her that she could have rats in her home, where she wouldn't see them (in my bedroom) or have a mustang running on her land. (my grandfather was pushing my mom to take him in) she immediately chose rats, as I expected, and a month later I had a little dumbo baby named Salvy.

Now you're probably not in the same situation involving a BLM mustang, but maybe comparing a rat to a more difficult animal will help. Of course I don't know your mother so I can't say this will work. Maybe waiting is best, that way the hamster gets all the care and attention he needs. Anyway, hamsters can be really sweet (if you dont get them from a petco/petsmart) so just be cautious about where you're little hammy is coming from.
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:58 am

ello people, its me, again.

i have a question for you all.

in your opinion, which is better for a hamster? tank or cage?

im just asking because i can get a fairly large tank for about 50 euros off donedeal and most cages are worth a fortune.

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MotherMother » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:13 am

@meerkat boi. cages have great airflow which is really important for the hamster. Tanks are good for keeping in bedding that might otherwise spill out through the cage bars, however they have very poor airflow. Personally I'd go for a cage with a deep bottom, to get the best of both worlds c: if you can't find any affordable cages, perhaps you could consider buying one used?

------

a
r
t

b
y

K
u
r
a
i.
Image Image
MotherMother

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sunfang » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:43 pm

I personally like bins and cages for hamsters. My Syrian is in a 800sq in clear bin, with about 3 1/2 inches of substrate, and soon to have tunnels under the substrate to go along with the ones on top. I don't like tanks, because I feel they trap heat and ammonia pretty bad. Even when I had gerbils I ended up switching them to a big bin cage. I've rigged my bin so the tops have spare cage parts with bards 1/2 inch apart that ventilate better than mesh in my experience. None of my rodents have been bin chewers, knock on wood.

I feel like if you could find a cage with enough floor space and rig it to keep substrate in for fun tunneling it would be great. The UK has some really great hammy cages and I've yet to find somewhere I can import one for my boy. Though hammy goals!
Sunfang

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:44 pm

in your opinion, which is better for a hamster? tank or cage?

I think it depends what you can offer. There are a few suitable cages for hamsters, if you can get one with deep enough floorspace and deep enough to provide substrate for digging. I have read (though I can't remember where) that syrians do best with very deep substrate - 6 inches being a minimum amount to offer, but they can do well with up to 20! Obviously, tanks are better for this. Many professional vivariums have in-built ventilation systems, and you can always fashion a mesh lid for a second hand fish tank.
    It all depends on what you can use! I'd love to have a tank in the future, to offer better digging and burrowing opportunities and i prefer how it looks
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MotherMother » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:55 pm

I want to make a jungle gym/playground for my rats using wood. However, my rats mark. So if I build them the playground, they will mark it and it will soak into the wood and eventually smell. To avoid the soaking, should I paint the wood? That way I can actually clean it instead of having to throw the whole thing out. But I expect them to chew it and I don't want any harmful toxins in their body because of the paint. Any ideas? Should I paint it or no? Can I buy a substitute for paint, like matte or something?

------

a
r
t

b
y

K
u
r
a
i.
Image Image
MotherMother

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sunfang » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:03 pm

MotherMother wrote:I want to make a jungle gym/playground for my rats using wood. However, my rats mark. So if I build them the playground, they will mark it and it will soak into the wood and eventually smell. To avoid the soaking, should I paint the wood? That way I can actually clean it instead of having to throw the whole thing out. But I expect them to chew it and I don't want any harmful toxins in their body because of the paint. Any ideas? Should I paint it or no? Can I buy a substitute for paint, like matte or something?

You can paint it using non-toxic wood paints, it has to be a paint for wood as wood absorbs paint and ink. FolkArt Multi-surface, found at Walmarts and Home Depots and online, will work.

Next you need to seal it. It has to be a water-based sealer. I'm suggesting these sealants used in the rabbit fancy, as rabbit urine is potent and these are used for hutches. All of these are non-toxic.

The safest way is beeswax pellets and lineseed oil. Linseed oil is a natural oil from the flax seed and is non-toxic. Both these are used in food products around the world, and are safe by EU standards (since their health standards are stricter than the US). Here is a guide.
https://www.popularwoodworking.com/wood ... wax-finish

There's also RustOleum. RustOleum is commonly used in finishing bird cages, and less uncommonly rodent cages. It can be found at most Walmarts and home supply stores. RustOleum sprays are non-toxic, non-voc, most are non-zinc and are safe when cured. RustOleum's statement when asked about the safety to birds was:
"Let me first assure you that our products are lead free and are completely non-toxic when fully dry. We do have a few zinc-rich products, but these are boldly stated on the can that they are a zinc compound. I’m certain that our products would be safe for use with birds, as people frequently will paint birdcages with our enamels."
Source: https://www.beautyofbirds.com/refinishingcages.html
Make sure it is zinc and VOC free, check the back of the can. MUST CURE FOR TWO WEEKS IN WELL VENTILATED AREA such out an outside porch or driveway, metals can cure for one week in similar fashion.
~~~This is what I used to finish my rat cages after having them 2 years, cured OUTSIDE, pretty blue cage and rats are fine - even the bar nibblers.

There are many, many shellacs and resins, but because rats are prolific chewers you might be hesitant to use those, though that is based on the manufacturer's stance that they can't guarantee their product for animals that will gnaw and chew. However, many bunny and piggie fanciers do use non-toxic water based shellacs, sealants and varnishes for their hutches. They are inert once cured, but your choice to go with these is up to you. Most ones meeting those categories (non-toxic, no chemicals, and waterbased) would more than likely be fine as they are usually safe rated for children.

Because rats chew, these criteria must be met:
1) MUST be water based
2) MUST be non-toxic, the more stressed (safe for kids/animals/plants) the better.
3) MUST contain not VOCs (volatile organic compounds).
4) NO creosote or heavy metals (most non-toxic brands do not contain this)

Here are some brands that fit these categories:
http://seal-once.com/ [USA] - SAFE for plants, animals (including fish), and are environmentally friendly and come in colours.
https://www.protekwoodstain.co.uk/products/wood-stain [UK ONLY] Safe for plants and animals, environmentally friendly and come in colours.

Lastly, no matter what you go with, you must allow time to cure. Cure for two weeks in a well vented area, outdoors being best, keep away from rain and snow, but heat is fine.
Sunfang

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MotherMother » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:47 pm

@Sunfang: wow, I can't thank you enough! This is extremely helpful and I learned a lot from it, and all this valuable information will guide me in the right direction. I really appreciate it, thank you for being so thorough and helpful! I'm sure my ratties will be very grateful too when they have a safe jungle gym thanks to your help <3

------

a
r
t

b
y

K
u
r
a
i.
Image Image
MotherMother

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:57 am

So, I got a new hamster this weekend! I am still grieving for Bella, but I hope that my new boy will help me heal <3 It's so nice to have a little someone to look after!

Meet Liquorice! He's eight weeks old c:

Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me