The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby gamorasass » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:13 am

My rats are gone. They were rehomed yesterday.
      I still have Templeton since he's my elderly boy and he's been glued to me ever since his brother died.
      I'm so heartbroken.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:33 am

I came home today and found Bella has passed over the rainbow bridge. I don't know what to do with myself. I've forced myself to clean and empty her cage and I hate looking at it.
    Goodbye Bella, I hope I gave you the best six months of your life <3
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:16 pm

kiffell wrote:
hello!

i came here because im really interested in a guinea pig or two! Though, im needing a bit of advice on where i could get one/some and if the guinea is the best choice for me. I did have rabbits when i was really little, but i dont remember much about them except for the fact my family didn't take care of them well..

anyways!

i've been wanting a small creature for some time now, because i really want a hand held animal. But, i do have a dog, and im wondering if guineas will get along with my dog? I have some ideas on how to keep them both separated and happy at the same time, but im not sure how long i'd be able to do that aha.

and if i DO decide to get a guinea, where should i adopt it/them from? (if i have to get multiple)
i heard petsmart is a no go, but how about petco? I checked my local shelters website and they didn't have any piggies, but petfinder said there were a few in my area. Plus, im still in school so im not sure on how lonely one guinea would be and if i had to get two. Which that would work out fine because i have a little brother who is also interested in a pig!

thank you for any and all help !

Unless you are very patient I would highly recommend you stay away from name brand stored like that and go with a shelter. For THIS reason; Pet stores like Petco and Petsmart don't socialize their animals. You will be getting a scared, confused, essentially feral pig from them. I'd find a local breeder who alot of people trust or adopt. And about the number of pigs you get; Maybe start with two if you're away during the day? That way the piggies have something to do and will be less likely to tear into things. I hope this helped a little ^^ feel free to ask more questions. I have a female Jaurez(Pronounced War-ez) and she's a sassy queen, she is only kept by herself because she was a guinea mill baby and extremely territorial. Attacking any other Guinea in her space. She's content alone and a bit older so she's adapted to napping while I'm away and playing and demanding attention when I get back.

EDIT*** Baby, my b and w fancy rat has something wrong with her eye again. I got back from my grandparent's ranch and found her bleeding round the eye area. I'm only panicking because my vet is closed and it looks serious.
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MotherMother » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:30 pm

@drift., are you sure it's not porphyrin? Porphyrin is mucus that is red in colour and occasionally comes from a rats eyes and nose. It is 100% normal and no cause for alarm. The only time you should get worried, is if your rat had an extreme excess amount.
If it is blood then take her to the vet as soon as it opens. There might be a 24 hour emergency clinic, most cities have one. I hope your little baby gets better soon!

------

a
r
t

b
y

K
u
r
a
i.
Image Image
MotherMother

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:55 pm

No I'm almost positive it's not porphyrin, the same eye(left, right when facing head on) is glazed over, milky and protrudes from its socket. That's why I'm so worried. She has been perfectly healthy otherwise, still eats fine and drinks. Was drinking when I noticed, because she boggles her eyes when she drinks and her other eye wasn't moving. I moved my finger past that eye and I can't tell if she can see out of it or not. My vet opens at 8, i'll definitely be there. The only emergency clinic near me (less than an hour) doesn't have a vet that specializes with rats, but maybe he'll still know, so I will probably call.
Last edited by drift. on Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MotherMother » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:02 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope she's okay, fingers crossed for a speedy recovery <3

------

a
r
t

b
y

K
u
r
a
i.
Image Image
MotherMother

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby deoxyribonucleic » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:14 pm

hello! I am new to this thread. I have owned hamsters and gerbils before, but never multiple pets at once! now i own two gorgeous, loving gerbils (and a not so loving, more playful cat who thinks my babies look like toys).

I got them yesterday and they are so nice, not once have I been bitten but they're still a little anxious so it's hard to scoop them up.

here are my furbabies j chillin
I know the cage isnt the right size for two whole babies, so I'm saving up for extensions, for now we let them out a lot in hamster balls so they get their excercise.
moonwalkin'
noelle | she/her
───── ♤ ─────
you, too, deserve love
deoxyribonucleic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:48 pm

koyvii wrote:hello! I am new to this thread. I have owned hamsters and gerbils before, but never multiple pets at once! now i own two gorgeous, loving gerbils (and a not so loving, more playful cat who thinks my babies look like toys).

I got them yesterday and they are so nice, not once have I been bitten but they're still a little anxious so it's hard to scoop them up.

here are my furbabies j chillin
-snip-
I know the cage isnt the right size for two whole babies, so I'm saving up for extensions, for now we let them out a lot in hamster balls so they get their excercise.

Hi there! According to Woodgreen (they're an animal charity), gerbils do best in a tank with a mesh lid. This allows them to have a deep substrate which encourages them to display natural behaviours such as digging!

The minimum cage size for one or two gerbils is 100 cm. wide by 30 cm. deep by 30 cm. high (3 ft. wide by 1 ft. deep by 1 ft. high).

I would also offer them a similar sized wheel to a syrian hamster - 28cm across. This will prevent their spines from curving!

Congrats on your new additions!
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:34 pm

Update on Meatball;; Called the rescue while waiting for the vet to finish up with Baby's check up and they said they will ship her if I can't make the long 6 hour drive ;~;

Edit;; With a heavy heart I have to acknowledge that Baby crossed the rainbow bridge around 1:13 yesterday morning. Her health went downhill very fast around 12 and things never got better. I suspect there were other issues but if there was the vet never mentioned them. I'm heartbroken to see her go so early but I'm happy she is not in any pain anymore.
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ninetailss » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:38 pm

I have one guinea pig named Bacon (Now nicknamed Squek by my friend) I don’t think I can post an actual picture of my pig but here’s an example:
The story of how I got him is actually really weird and funny. So my neighbor got a guinea pig for his birthday from his mom’s friend. He got it and they were all happy. We occasionally would go over and visit it and I absolutley LOVED IT. That was one of the first times I remember loving a rodent. They actually weren’t taking care of it very well like leaving it’s cage unclean for a long time and forgetting to feed it. The one who took care ov it the most was their dog who thought it was his baby. Every thins the cat came over by it’s cage the dog would growl at it.
Jump to a few months later and they went on vacation. They asked us to watch the pig. We had done it before so we knew what to do. It was easy and they came back soon. The catch was, they never came to get the guinea pig. I honestly think the kids forgot about it or didn’t care. So we all just kind of accepted that the guinea pig was ours now.
The last time they’ve asked for it back is when my friend was holding it and she accidentally broke its nail. We called their mom and they came over with nail clippers. After she was done they were like “ok, you broke his nail and now we want it back because you hurt him” Needless to say, we still have the guinea pig and love him very much.
they/them meow meow meow
ninetailss

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me