LOCK? DELETE? OLD Rabbit Owners- NEW LINK INSIDE

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat!

Postby Takara » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:43 am

Wishful Thinking. wrote:
    I got 2 beautiful rabbits about 4 months ago and at first I kept them together but for the last 2 months I separated them because they started fighting with each other. They are still in the same pen, just separated by cage wire so they can see and sniff each other without being able to chase or bite. I was pretty sure for awhile they were both females but I woke up this morning to an unexpected litter of 5 babies...? She's feed them and cleaned them and I turned up the heat to keep them warm and gave her a 15 qt. plastic bin (only bin I got) to keep them off the floor which gets pretty cold. Was placing them in a bin a good idea? Will she continue to care for them? If I didn't put them in a bin they may have froze to death because it's winter here and the floor get very cold and I believe they'd have a better chance in the bin with some soft aspen shavings and hay (she placed the hay in there). The walls of the bin are big enough they can't wonder out and low enough that she can easily jump in and out. There's enough room in there to for her to move around without stepping on them accidentally. What do I do if she for some reason doesn't take care of them?

She should still take care of them, even if you handle them a bit. I usually check on babies a few times a day (Checking for full stomachs, putting them back in the nestbox if they escape,etc...). Momma bunnies normally pull fur from their chest/underbelly to put in their nests to keep the babies warm, but it's not uncommon for them not to. I suggest you look up other info about what momma bunnies usually do to farmiliarize yourself with what's what with your particular situation.
Takara

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lizbutt » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:47 am

I'm sad to say I think my friend has lost sight on the proper way to care for her buns. When we first met, she only had 2, a male and female Holland Lop pair. She had converted a very large dog kennel into a 2 story hutch; so it gave them some hopping room and kept the litter pan away from their water and food bowls plus she used a ex-pen in the living room for them to hop. (not that they were active, both are very chill lets just snuggle together types)

Sadly in the time I've known her, she got 2 more buns. Another Holland and a Lionhead mix. Some reason she wanted to convert huge TV wall unit into a large cage for the 4. I tried to convince her to look into C&C style cages first, but only the wall unit would do since it 'used the least amount of floor space'. That was why I didn't like it since it meant the cage would be narrow.

Here is an example, the one she used looks like this but her father added doors with wire over the front. Plus added ramps and holes. The one she has is a little smaller and was split into 3 areas between the 4. The only thing I was able to convince her to add was coroplast on the bottom so it was easy to whip clean since wood is the worst for soaking in urine. x-x

Ever since she moved all of them in there, it just seems so sad. There isn't much ventilation and her cleaning habits are little to none. It feels like these are my pets that live in her house since I'm cleaning the litter pans 90% of the time. What gets me steamed is her little regard to how important hay is for buns. The amount she gives them is less then a hand-full but i always pile it in when i come over. :c

If I didn't have to rehome my guineas because of the lack of room and having a prey driven dog, I would take her newest two off her hands. I would have gone with the C&C route and let them free-roam in my room (after I bun proof) for most of the day.

You can call me a L I Z B U T T

{coffee lover}
Sign: Gemini

My username use to be Carry.
Lizbutt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kadybeth123 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:39 am

So I had a rabbit named Ripley, a little Netherland Dwarf, but he had to be put down a few months ago. I was pretty sad, but I wanted a new rabbit, because I loved owning him cx So for Christmas, one of my presents was a bunny cx I love him to death <3 He's a lot different from my first bunny, but I thought that he would be different, my first one was about 2 when I first got him and was very mellow, this one is 6 months old and very energetic XD gah I just love him <3

This is the little bean, his name is Blizten~
Attachments
IMG_0062.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG (445.8 KiB) Viewed 64 times

╔═════════════╗

xxxxɪ αϝɾαιԃ f
xxxxHello! I'm Katie!
xxxxI like birds, The 1975, dodie,
xxxxmusic, and mcyts!!
xxxx♪~~~~~☆©︎☆~~~~~♪
xxxxhomo-Taurus (May 8th)-INFP
xxxxconcert & baritone uke, violin
xxxx2 birds, bunny, & dog owner
xxxxʜ ʜɪɴɢs ɪɴ ʏ ɾαιɳ
╚═════════════╝
kadybeth123

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby //Kitty cat » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:04 am

Hello all!
In the past I've had a castor mini rex named Beatrice (R.I.P, salty little girl.) She had a mate that was a black otter Netherland Dwarf named Jaz (R.I.P.) and they had several litters of babies. We kept one of them we named him Eevee (R.I.P...) He looked just like his mum. Currently I have a Hotot mix named Trillium Weiss. I love bunnies so so much oh my goodness <3 I'm thinking we're gonna get another soon!

────── ARD A ─
▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓

linkkkkkk
✶ linkkkkkk
linkkkkkk
✶ linkkkkkk
linkkkkkk
✶ linkkkkkk

──────────────────── ───

OF
OF
▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓

─── ────────────────────
──────────────────── ───

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ © ▓▓▓▓

▓▓▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
────────────────
I'm Lewis! (he/him)
EDS Warrior and SD Handler
-Not online often
Please be patient with
trades and messages!

────────────────
COLLECTION OF

─── ───────────────

▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓
//Kitty cat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Laark » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:33 am

recently discovered my black and white floppy eared bun (no idea on any of my rabbits true breeds, but we think this one is a dwarf lop?) is not female, but male! Im very lucky to have all three buns separated in different hutches, and the two "females" have never had contact. He has become quite the cuddle bug though, especially since when we first got him, he thumped at us and hid in his nesting box all the time...
Now hes totally chill with being loved on, and even stretches out completely beside us.
hey there, Im Laark, I am an adult player. I had baby number 2 on March 15, 2024 and will be absent from many games for a bit.
howrse / Lioden side / lioden main / wolvden/ feel free to add me on any!
Laark

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby //Kitty cat » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:13 am

Laark wrote:recently discovered my black and white floppy eared bun (no idea on any of my rabbits true breeds, but we think this one is a dwarf lop?) is not female, but male! Im very lucky to have all three buns separated in different hutches, and the two "females" have never had contact. He has become quite the cuddle bug though, especially since when we first got him, he thumped at us and hid in his nesting box all the time...
Now hes totally chill with being loved on, and even stretches out completely beside us.

I've had that problem twice before! I sexed them too young. Heheh... But something else I've noticed is that males are tamer and snugglier than the females are. Does that I've had have all had an attitude but all bucks are extremely chill.

────── ARD A ─
▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓

linkkkkkk
✶ linkkkkkk
linkkkkkk
✶ linkkkkkk
linkkkkkk
✶ linkkkkkk

──────────────────── ───

OF
OF
▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓

─── ────────────────────
──────────────────── ───

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ © ▓▓▓▓

▓▓▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
────────────────
I'm Lewis! (he/him)
EDS Warrior and SD Handler
-Not online often
Please be patient with
trades and messages!

────────────────
COLLECTION OF

─── ───────────────

▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓
//Kitty cat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:20 am

//Kitty cat wrote:
Laark wrote:recently discovered my black and white floppy eared bun (no idea on any of my rabbits true breeds, but we think this one is a dwarf lop?) is not female, but male! Im very lucky to have all three buns separated in different hutches, and the two "females" have never had contact. He has become quite the cuddle bug though, especially since when we first got him, he thumped at us and hid in his nesting box all the time...

I've had that problem twice before! I sexed them too young. Heheh... But something else I've noticed is that males are tamer and snugglier than the females are. Does that I've had have all had an attitude but all bucks are extremely chill.

That's interesting! It's been the opposite in my experience. My least calm rabbit is male and my most calm and snuggly is a female.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lincoln » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:25 am

PeachFuzz wrote:
//Kitty cat wrote:

That's interesting! It's been the opposite in my experience. My least calm rabbit is male and my most calm and snuggly is a female.

I think it just depends on the bloodline.
All of my bucks are extremely chill and quite affectionate.
I had a cuddly, sweet doe and bred her with one of the described bucks and the kits were all VERY sweet.
I still own one, a doe, she doesn't bite or charge at you. And then we have my other doe... who I can say is a demon without regret. Yes, she's that bad.
Lincoln

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:17 am

Yeah, to me bucks are just more calm and affectionate than does. And in terms of temper. I have some really sweet females rabbits, but if you tick them off too much they just might give a little grunt or nip. Only thing bad about bucks, in my opinion, is that they have a smell to them, no matter how often you clean their cage.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ShadowHunteress » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:33 am

I love my new rabbits, my only buck (who is neutered) is such a sweet heart. But the doe he came with is also sweet, just not as much. And my larger does who are together (Have been since they were I think 2 months? I got them at six months and they are now almost three I think) and they get along wonderfully. (they also just got upgraded to an even larger hutch this winter and after some getting used to it they seem really happy! It's 6 feet by 3 feet and from 2 to 3 feet tall (the roof is angled.) And it's sectioned where they have a closed off shelter in the back and an open run in the front. (But don't worry, all the rabbits are in a heated building for the summer.
Check out Lorwolf! Use my referral code to get the chance for a companion!
https://www.lorwolf.com/Refer/11524
ShadowHunteress

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me