Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby valyri » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:41 am

Deku_is_best_boi wrote:Apperently the vet came today and, thankfully, amigo only had a fever. He got some shots and was acting a lot better by feed time this afternoon. And he ate almost all his feed today! He left some over but it wasnt enough to effect his weight. Im just an overprotective mother towards him and was probably over reacting. But when it comes to my horses i do anything in my power to make sure they are ok. As for the other times of leaving more than half his feed over (before today) the vet didnt know about that and just assumed that he had a sore throat. I just want him to get better and im glad he is ok ♡

Also i need advice on how to train pandora, my newest horse. She keeps her head up really high and i cant even back her up. (The people we bought her from used a tie down). My father was like "oh she doesnt need it" but i think she does. She also doesnt listen well to any kind of turning signals and i have to almost beat her to get her to turn (dont worry i dont beat my horses, i just make them work more and try to correct their mistake). I plan on making her a pole and barrel horse but i cant do that if she doesnt listen to turning signals. She doesnt listen well in a hackmoore and even in the bit she doesnt listen to well. I would like to use a slightly stronger bit to see how that works but my father wont let me. He says it will "ruin her". He also continues to make me use the hackmoore on her and i hate it. I just want some advice on these few things.

Get the teeth and saddle checked, and make sure the noseband placement is correct on the hackamore and that the bit fits comfortably. I might also suggest getting a vet or chiropractor out to give her a check up (especially the spine!).
A horse that is in pain or discomfort isn't going to benefit from tie-downs, stronger bits etc.
Once you cross-off any pain or discomfort, then you can consider other reasons that she might act that way. Make sure that you aren't being too heavy with your hands - if you are, she might be trying to alleviate the pressure by holding her head up. Also make sure that you aren't "blocking" her with your hands, legs or seat when trying to turn or ride her. You want to ensure that she isn't getting confused by the aids :thumbup:

If it isn't the tack, it's isn't pain/discomfort and it isn't your riding then you can probably come to the conclusion that it's training. Unfortunately, lots of people do throw tack on and assume it'll solve a problem. However, that just means the horse won't learn to use her body properly on her own because the tack is doing it for her. So, I'd recommend avoiding adding extra tack. Of course, you can if you really want to but from my perspective it's much better for the horse if you teach her how to use her body on her own.

Groundwork is always a good place to start. Teach her that dropping her head is a positive thing (dish out some treats!). Then you could try putting tack on and doing the same thing with asking her to drop her head from the ground. Once she has it at a standstill, you can start getting her to move and asking her occasionally to drop her head. You can build up duration, add turns etc. Then you can try it from the saddle. I'd also recommend plenty of exercise that would encourage her to engage her hind, strengthen her topline and develop some roundness. Exercise like lunging (without gadgets and gizmos), hillwork (from the ground and in the saddle, helps with balance, self-carriage and engaging the hind), bicycle rides (lots of fun, plus she's more likely to drop her head and carry herself better - and plenty of motivation to be found there!), free jumping (helps her learn to engage her hind and have fun) and obstacle courses (lots of fun, motivation and she can learn to use her body).

If she doesn't have sufficient muscle and doesn't know how to use the rest of her body, then her front-end isn't going to look how you want it (that said, it shouldn't be about aesthetic - it should be about functionality!). The exercises I listed might not sound related and might sound a bit wacky but using the environment, having fun and teaching her to use her body that way could be an effective way to help. I wholeheartedly believe that if a horse struggles with something whilst ridden, then he needs to learn it from the ground. I also believe that experimentation with fun, wacky activities are the best way to solve body problems (this coming from a previously classically-minded rider lol).

All in all, I think that you should ensure your horse isn't in pain or discomfort, make sure your own riding isn't being a problem and then work on any training issues and possibly use some exercises tailored to helping her use her body and drop her head. I personally don't think that tie-downs or stronger bits will help her at all. They might do the trick and make her drop her head and magically respond to you, but it will never solve the actual issues at hand. Good luck :D
valyri

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sunny*days*ahead » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:52 pm

^ Very, very well said, Valyri! Everything I meant to say and more. ;D
_
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."- Proverbs 16:24

sunny*days*ahead

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby June Bug » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:17 pm

Does anyone know of any US rescues or sanctuaries that take owner-surrenders? Preferably one somewhere along the east coast. I've looked into several local ones, but they're either full or don't take owner surrenders.
A little background on my situation, I'm a 20-something who's been out of work (despite applying for anything and everything I can find) for over 2 years now and ran out of savings long ago. My horse is a very good boy, but he's been in recovery, on and off of stall rest, for a year and a half now due to a string of unfortunate accidents (including breaking his elbow) and illnesses related to developing both Cushings and Insulin resistance at the same time. My vet and barn owner have been great and none of us expected him to bounce back from everything as well as he did. He is 100% sound in the paddock and will be starting back into work as soon as his wonky foot (which tried to slough off after a post-founder abscess) finishes growing out enough to secure a shoe to the foot. The shoe he's got on that foot now is being held on entirely by the lateral half of the hoof, but he should have a solid base after either this next shoeing or the following one.

In any case, I just cant afford to keep him as I have medical debt I'm still paying off, basic life expenses, and am now facing loosing my house as my parents are selling it. I was only able to live here as I was maintaining it so they didn't have to keep coming back to do things like mow the lawn and whatnot. I'm currently picking up odd jobs when I can, selling off some of my possessions, and working at the barn 5+ days a week, but it's not enough.

He is not a good candidate for sale, unfortunately. His medications cost $4-5 a day to keep him healthy and he cannot be on grass anymore. He's also now had at least three episodes of founder and has a 17 degree rotation on the left front foot and 13 degree rotation on the right. He requires a good farrier, shoes, and will likely need corrective pads forever. He has also had at least one major colic episode which if it wasn't for my barn owner's experience and a lot of luck would have required surgery, but instead he simply spent a week in Leesburg, Virginia's veterinary hospital on fluids.
Aside from the medical issues, he also has some mental issues as well. He's perfectly well-behaved with his people and children, but he doesn't "speak horse" well. He came from auction and his past is unknown, but the theory is that he was not raised by a mare or in a typical healthy setting for whatever reason so he doesn't really understand how to be a horse with other horses. Most of the time, it's just amusing as he didn't understand the herd hierarchy and would try to be first in for feeding every day and then seem very confused when the boss would bite his booty. Once he did get that there was a boss and he made friends with that boss, he then became dangerous as any horse added to the group, or even existing herd members that got reprimanded, would suddenly be on his own personal hit list. He has tried to murder at least five different horses, and I'm not exaggerating when I say he really wanted to kill them. Most of them he would simply chase mercilessly and tear at them with his teeth despite the rest of the herd and all humans on hand trying to intervene, but one of them he managed to hang over one of the fences when he tried to escape and tore him up despite multiple people trying to beat him off the other horse with whatever they could find. So absolutely no herd life for him anymore. He does well with one, more dominant, horse friend (because he really is a silly, playful guy at heart), but he is never allowed to be 'above' any other horses.
He's also got some lasting anxiety about vets and farriers so he needs a person he trusts to handle him for visits. if he trusts his handler, he is fine, but if he doesn't, he will try to escape by any means necessary.
So essentially, he's expensive to keep and has very specific needs.
He does have a few things going for him. He will be rideable, but no jumping, which is a desirable skill in this area. He's not too old, about 16 if the vet estimates are accurate. He's an easy keeper so keeping weight on him isn't an issue. He's also a very willing and forgiving ride. He tries his heart out and can be trusted with any rider of any level. He is also the kind of horse that can be out of work for days, weeks, even months and be totally fine to ride. I've ridden him bareback more often than I have with a saddle (I don't even own a saddle anymore) and I was working on going totally tackless with him when his health took a dive.

So, as wonderful as he is and as much as I love him, I'm already in considerable debt trying to hang onto him and deal with everything else on top of that and just can't keep him anymore.

I'm really hoping to find a rescue or sanctuary to take him. I'm not sure I have the time to go through the process of trying to find a home for him (likely a 'free to good home' situation) or if anyone would even want to take on his issues.

I'm not taking him to an auction. I'm very familiar with auctions and he's already been through at least once before. I couldn't do that to him.

My only other option would be to put him down, but I really don't want to do that after busting my butt for so long trying to rehab him. He's healthy, happy, and not ready to give up yet so I would hate to do it. If I can't find anywhere for him, it's the only thing I can do.

Wow, that was a lot longer than I intended, but here we are, haha. Any suggestions or advice is welcome.

TLDR: Horse has been a mess, but is a good boy. I can't afford to keep him, likely can't sell him for various reasons, and don't want to put him down just because my financial situation is in the toilet.
June Bug
Official Artist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:08 pm

@ June Bug
that is sad to read, hope you can keep your home and find good work soon. :)
Did you write up, that you are in search of work with your town or location some free organisations and Job recruiter, they can help you find work to from what i did read and help when you need to learn some more to get a working place^^
Also big race stable and other bigger horse stable often pay well and search people who know how to work with horses and there you can live there and get Food, insurance and sometimes even can bring a horse.

had a look but im not sure...
- https://unitedhorsecoalition.org/facili ... pt-horses/
- https://www.tripstodiscover.com/animal- ... n-the-u-s/
- https://www.greatspiritanimalsanctuary.org/blog
- https://eastcoasthorses.com/horse-rescue/
- NorCal Equine Rescue - Owner Surrender - YouTube
- http://www.roughstart.org/

you also could look into other rescue not only for horses, but some can take in a horse as they got farm animal :)

---> but when you give the horse up, set up a good contract to protect the horse, ...like feeding, med care, farrier, visiting right and to learn how your horse is and maybe pics of it every now and then....ask a free lawyer to help you or take a look at it if it is right like you did write it :!:

- https://www.indeed.com/q-Horse-Barn-Work-jobs.html

did you ever think about working with other animal? maybe you can find there smething with place to live and maybe even bring horses when enough money..., or on farm, or national park working with Kids, making Food, librarian, Deputy District Ranger , or such? ^^
im really not sure iff there is anything good, but maybe there is somethig, was only a real fast look i did

- h ttps://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=farm+worker+housing&l=
- https :/ /www.indeed.com/jobs?q=housing+provided&l=
- http s:// http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Barn+Work&l=
h ttps://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Barn+Work&jt=fulltime
- https://www.indeed.com/q-East-Coast-USA-jobs.html

-https://www.jobboardfinder.com/en/
-https://www.therecruiternetwork.com/recruiter/index.php
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vash ♡ » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:50 pm

so my trainer gave me a POA as a project pony last fall to begin breaking, who was barely halter broke. ended up bonding with her and she was given to me in february. have done the breaking/training process myself under the tutelage of my trainer. she is now to the point i am fine tuning her flat work for a dressage clinic next month and teaching her to get on the bit, and it’s been about a year since she last tested me. my trainer said it wouldn’t be the last time she did as our career goes on since she’s my eventing prospect, and lo and behold as her stamina increases the more energy she gets for working... she has taken to bucking in her upwards transitions until i work it out of her. trainer says im doing the right thing by not even acknowledging it and just working through it, says i don’t even need to punish it unless she goes full on bronc and is actually hindering my riding. it’s a new development that started a few days ago but it’s really not hard to fix, i just work her through a few transitions and work on lateral flexion and she’s fine but im just like... leave it to a pony mare to break my trust for a little bit. i just got cozy on you you little brat! lmao

in other news im starting a 3 1/2 year old and he’ll be my backup until we sell him! so hopefully when impy (my pony) starts her jumping training isaac will be her saving grace and save her from some burnouts. :^)

════════════════════════════════════
she • adult • audhd & chronically ill
struggling equine nutrition student, im barely on here.

════════════════════════════════════
because i finally found a lover who's better for my liver, and now i'll finally recover.
vash ♡

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lunamione7 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:25 am

What to do about a new horse (leasing same paddock) who is jealous of me paying attention to "my" horse?

He actually belongs to my neighbours who live up the road but since the paddock is immediately next to my house they let me play with him.

He is a very quiet, gentle boy who would sit down in the grass with me whilst I leaned against a tree and read a book, comes running when called and liked cuddles and grooming, walks on the leash.

But now there is this new boy, we don't know who he belongs to because the paddock belongs to the council and they won't tell us.

The new boy has decided he likes me and isn't up for sharing.

He kicks, bites and runs Buster off.

I'm firm with him and tell him off but I'm honestly beginning to wonder if he's a stallion (Buster is gelded) because this bossy attitude of his is crazy.

I'm a bit scared to go in the paddock because of him.

He grabs my shirt and pulls or paws the ground to demand attention if ignored, if Buster so much as looks at me he gets bitten!

I'm not sure of his breed, possibly ex-race horse/thoroughbred.

Buster is WW1 Australian Light Horse, Waler (might have spelled waler wrong so wrote ww1 horse)

It's been almost four weeks and we have yet to see the owner to talk about the problem.

Is there anything I can do?
Lunamione7

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lovehunter~ » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:28 am

My horse is named Luke and he is EVILL! He gets used to a routine, so say you canter in one section on the arena, it's hard to break that chain again cause all he wants to do is canter in that section xD
Help me achieve my goal of getting a UR bengal!

<3
lovehunter~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby knifemew » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:29 am

Yesh! My horse is named Rubia and she's pretty nice <3 i ride her sometimes in the weekend, she's pretty quiet and calm
Sam | she/her | enfp
have a beautiful day !
--------------------------
ImageImage

Toyhou.se
Instagram
Art fight
knifemew

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby valyri » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:13 am

Lunamione7 wrote:What to do about a new horse (leasing same paddock) who is jealous of me paying attention to "my" horse?

He actually belongs to my neighbours who live up the road but since the paddock is immediately next to my house they let me play with him.

He is a very quiet, gentle boy who would sit down in the grass with me whilst I leaned against a tree and read a book, comes running when called and liked cuddles and grooming, walks on the leash.

But now there is this new boy, we don't know who he belongs to because the paddock belongs to the council and they won't tell us.

The new boy has decided he likes me and isn't up for sharing.

He kicks, bites and runs Buster off.

I'm firm with him and tell him off but I'm honestly beginning to wonder if he's a stallion (Buster is gelded) because this bossy attitude of his is crazy.

I'm a bit scared to go in the paddock because of him.

He grabs my shirt and pulls or paws the ground to demand attention if ignored, if Buster so much as looks at me he gets bitten!

I'm not sure of his breed, possibly ex-race horse/thoroughbred.

Buster is WW1 Australian Light Horse, Waler (might have spelled waler wrong so wrote ww1 horse)

It's been almost four weeks and we have yet to see the owner to talk about the problem.

Is there anything I can do?

Certainly could be a stallion. With all of the hormones, they tend to be more boisterous. It could also possibly be resource guarding - he sees you as a valuable resource and wants to keep you away from the other horse. With the severity, it sounds an awful lot like he has some anxiety or insecurity there and is determined not to let any other horse get close to you. There could also be previous experience/training problems, especially if the owner gave him attention when he asked for it or reinforced the behaviour you are experiencing with him.

As for what you can do... I'd recommend talking to the owner ASAP. It's their horse and if you & your horse are being put in danger, then the owner needs to take responsibility. In the meantime, is there any way you could put out some hay for him whilst you do whatever you need to do with your own horse? That way, he should be more interested in the food and will have a different resource to worry about, so his anxiety won't be placed on you. If not, I would recommend keeping a safe distance and a close eye on his body language. Have someone supervise if you can.

Resource guarding/anxiety can quickly become dangerous and the shirt tugging and pawing is a cause for concern. Without the owner's input, there's not much you can do since you don't know the horse's history, training, context of the behaviour etc. I would recommend counter-conditioning and ways to manage the behaviour if I knew what the context was but without that, there's not much to be said. All in all, talk to the owner as soon as possible and keep an eye on the horse. Stay safe and don't risk an interaction if you could be in danger. Good luck and please stay safe!
valyri

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AmadeoVampire » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:19 pm

I ride weekly. I've always wanted to learn since I was in my single digit years but my parents always came up with an excuse to stop me; 'it's dangerous', 'it will be hard'. Those were awful 'reasons' to not take up riding, you don't get very far without some risk or hard work after all.
Now that I'm an adult and had the chance to have my first riding lesson in a group with university I took that opportunity and had a go. Since then I haven't looked back. I've gone from being on a lead rein to trotting and cantering. I still have a lot to learn but so far it has been amazing. Even on those days when I go away from a lesson feeling that I didn't do so well I always mange to have a good time.
I ride at a smaller riding school and have ridden almost all the horses (that are tall enough) at least once. I find it amazing how each one moves differently and how they all have their personality and quirks. My experience learning to ride has just driven me even more to do well in my studies to work in equine healthcare and welfare.

I do have one question for those more experienced in riding.
I could really use some advice on canter work. I ride English style on the school horses (so there is nothing I can do to train the horses, though most of them are very well behaved and do as you ask). There are a few horses that I find cantering on easier, it's likely because they are more forward and don't take a lot to go and do upward transitions.
However not every horse is so easy off the leg (all the school horses are cold-blooded cob types) and I can find it very difficult to get them going. It's harder to sit to a horse who does a few canter strides then trots, back to canter for a couple and then back to trot again. Is there something I can do/change about how I ride that can make it easier to ask these horses to keep cantering?
AmadeoVampire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me