Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby Stargazing » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:29 am

@ Huggles and Sunny*days*ahead

Thank you both for responding to my post! I used to practice not riding with stirrups and my instructor said I was doing pretty well, MAN IDK THIS IS SO HARD. I will ask her about focusing on the riding position though! Thank you for that tip!
ImageImage
Image ImageImageImage
Stargazing

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby paleosuchus » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:10 pm

sunny*days*ahead wrote:honeybears - I'd say if your horse is chill enough for you to wear a large, flowy dress like that while on it's back, they are not likely to be sensitive to the camera person or their equipment. If you're still worried, though, it wouldn't hurt to ask the photographer to use a longer lens, which will make them have to stand farther away. (And it gives great DOF!)

My dress doesn't look like that lol, its an A-line dress and looks more like a fancy prom dress. The veil is really flowy though so I won't be wearing that for the photos because I don't want it to be tread on.
You make a very good point though ;) Why didn't I think of that lol
Selene . they/them
aries . adult
Hoarding the Halloween’22 gummy snakes!
Stay foolish to Stay sane

Pet's name: Gumsworth, Lord of the Gumlings
credit . link . hoard
paleosuchus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby Mothmanofficial » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:46 am

OutFoxed wrote:
@Steve Rogers - that must have been a fun project to build stalls. Is it a pipe-corral/mare-motel style or wooden boards - or are the stalls something else? Because you have goats - are the established stalls in the barn smaller or just not completely suited to housing horses? I don't think anyone would mind if you gushed about your goats for a minute either, XD

They are wooden stalls, but we are just going to tie them in there to eat and tack them up and things like that, so they are pretty small. The rest of the time we are just going to use it as a run-in shed, since it is only a bit bigger than a typical shed. The only reason we didn't just not build stalls is because it has a wide doorway in it, rather than an open side so we didn't want one horse to be able to keep the other one out by standing in the doorway so it couldn't get in, then eating both servings of food. It just had some pens made out of fencing in it before so that we could quarantine goats, and those weren't anywhere close to the size we needed for horses, so we just ripped them out because we haven't used them once since we got the goats 10 years ago anyway.

╔══════════════════════════════╗
Ace | He/him| INFP | Avatar FAQ | Carrd
╚══════════════════════════════╝

╔═════════════════════════╗
My head is filled with bees and all of
them are playing the trombone feature
from Phantom Regiment's 2023 show
|Thanks for coming to my TED talk|

╚═════════════════════════╝

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bantry bay » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:46 pm

Star Butterfly wrote:Hello everybody!

I used to LOVE taking horseback riding lessons, but unfortunately it was giving me tons of knee pain and making my knees bowed a bit. The thing is, I only did it for the whole school year and I already had something happen to me? I really want to start riding again, but my knees will just give me problems again. Have y'all have this happen to you? What can I do to fix the situation?

Thank you for reading! <3

man i've definitely been through that, riding - especially english riding - can be rough on the knees. when i started riding 6 days a week instead of two when i found a lease pony, my knees really started to hurt, eventually even outside of riding - from then on, basically every time i upped my activity level i'd be limping around for a few weeks. never found a cause, i just started icing them every day and taking pain killers once in a while and that seemed to help. faulty equitation could be a cause of it, though, i would suggest looking at some pictues of people who's positions are in balance and determine whether or not your riding is like that or not.
──-───────────
they/them/theirs
ve/vir/vis

───────────-──
███░████████ █

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
███░██████████████████████████ █
──-─────────────────────────────

i’m samael, a stablehand working towards an
animal science degree and vet school.
not particularly active.

─────────────────────────────-──
███░██████████████████████████ █
███░████████████ █
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──-───────────────
sig credit art da fr th dv referral
my dms are always open

───────────────-──
.•*¨¨*•.¸.•*¨¨*•.
███░████████████ █

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
███░████████████ █
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
bantry bay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Stargazing » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:01 am

bantry bay wrote:
        Star Butterfly wrote:Hello everybody!

I used to LOVE taking horseback riding lessons, but unfortunately it was giving me tons of knee pain and making my knees bowed a bit. The thing is, I only did it for the whole school year and I already had something happen to me? I really want to start riding again, but my knees will just give me problems again. Have y'all have this happen to you? What can I do to fix the situation?

Thank you for reading! <3

man i've definitely been through that, riding - especially english riding - can be rough on the knees. when i started riding 6 days a week instead of two when i found a lease pony, my knees really started to hurt, eventually even outside of riding - from then on, basically every time i upped my activity level i'd be limping around for a few weeks. never found a cause, i just started icing them every day and taking pain killers once in a while and that seemed to help. faulty equitation could be a cause of it, though, i would suggest looking at some pictues of people who's positions are in balance and determine whether or not your riding is like that or not.

Ah okay, thank you very much!
ImageImage
Image ImageImageImage
Stargazing

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Garovar » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:21 pm

First time posting in this thread - I just recently started riding as of about march. I am a working student at a barn that works with caspian ponies and norwegian fjords primarily, but also a few other breeds and random crosses. This has all been a genuine dream come true, especially because I have grown up poor, so having the opportunity to work off my lessons is a blessing! I have learned a lot in a very short amount of time, and I definitely get the addiction. I will be hooked for life ;v;

I have had experience so far with the basics of riding, driving, and liberty work. I am also certified through natural lifemanship to work with horses in a therapy setting with kids, which is also something that this barn does. In the future I would like to do a live-in working student thing at a barn in one of my neighboring states to get more professional dressage experience, but as of now I have to be home. One day!

wow what a life story hi i love horses
Garovar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dragongirl00100 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:50 pm

Hello! This isn’t my first time posting here, but since it’s been a really long time since I last posted here, I figured I might as well treat this like an intro.

I’ve been riding on and off for about 5 years at a barn I volunteer at. As it is a therapy barn, the horses are (usually) very calm and sweet and tolerate almost everything. Breed-wise it’s a bit of a small melting pot; there’s a haflinger, quarter horse, paso fino, and paint, as well as some cross-breeds such as a draft/quarter horse mix and, the newest addition, an appendix. They’re all geldings except for the paso fino mare. Working with these guys was my first and, so far, only real exposure to horses, so even though I’ve been there for five years, I still think I don’t have much experience.

I started riding more often for about the last six months to help exercise some of the horses, particularly the haflinger and paso. I’ve been practicing cantering with them, namely keeping my seat with the paso and working on transitions with the haflinger.

It’s something I hope to continue in the future, too. It’s a dream of mine to someday have a nice property where I could keep my own horses... maybe one day :D
Mostly Inactive on CS Now
Trading ALL CS pets/items for FR
CS->FR Trading Info
FR Account
Dragongirl00100

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Riding styles?

Postby ĸιттιe » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:04 pm

so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me as many "disciplines" (or whatever you'd call it) that you can think of. I know a lot already:
jumping, dressage, racing, liberty work, trick riding, vaulting, and then a bunch of western stuff (I'm not focusing in this because it's not really my thing; the only western things I'd like to try are pole bending and potentially barrel racing?). I want to know because I want to start training my horse to do something I'd really like, and I want to experiment too just to see what I enjoy most.

>also I know there's many different sub types like there's show jumping, cross country, etc., but feel free to list these as well!
ĸιттιe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sunny*days*ahead » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:20 pm

^ What discipline(s) do you currently ride? And what type/breed of horse do you own? It may help to narrow your focus down if you pick something your horse is already suited to. c:
Hunter Jumper, Hunt Seat Equitation, Eventing and Endurance riding are the only other English styled events I know of besides the ones you already listed.
_
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."- Proverbs 16:24

sunny*days*ahead

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby qkrdbwls » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:04 am

Does anyone here drive rather than ride?
I recently started driving a shetland pony and honestly, driving has grown a lot on me.
However, we don't have any sort of arena so I only and always drive on bigger roads in the forest.
Does anyone else do this? And do you have any fun ideas on what to practice while driving? Like small/big turns, backing up, zic-zac for example.
My imagination is running low and I can't seem to find anything like this, only how to put on a harness information etc.

Without passion, we'd truly be dead.

tumblrtwitch
qkrdbwls

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me