Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby acronymm » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:46 am

Ack, my 4yo Arab/QH has such an attitude?? c": We can't put leg on her or she gets upset, either tossing her head and jumping forwards, or when my friend got on her, kicking out. Like I had said before, she definitely wasn't broken properly, most likely abused and kicked around. Does anyone have any tips working on a young horse? She turns 5 next month as well!

Another thing, she loves to hop around when she's cantering. She only hops when somebody's on her, not in the round pen. I usually push her through it, but it unnerves me sometimes. She responds mainly to voice, but I know I'm babying her and that I should probably start squeezing, if not, gently kicking.

about wrote:
hey there!
acro/lyn ▴ she/they
feel free to send me a message, im friendly!
████████████
████████████
━━━━━ 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████

status wrote:
on
and off
doing oekaki things
xxxx♡ ♡

━━━━━━━━━━━━ 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐬 𝐚
acronymm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sunny*days*ahead » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:24 am

Arabs are a very sensitive/spirited breed in general, which I love about them! It does make learning to "take a chill pill" something that usually - has - to be taught, unlike some other, more naturally relaxed breeds.

edit: just re-read and notice that you have in the round pen! anywhoo Have you tried lunging her at all? (especially if she's in a small paddock/stall most of the day?)
Something fun to try while you're lunging, is to desensitize her to objects hanging from her saddle/touching her sides. Things that will be safe if they fall off -- a plastic bag tied to the horn/stirrup, or an old plastic water bottle with a few small rocks bouncing around inside it. These are great to start off with, and will help her to learn that not everything new on her back (like people - even though you aren't "new" exactly, but new within the past 24 hours. xD) needs to be reacted to. It doesn't seem as if she's scared or afraid of your leg/you - just overreacting to it, typical of young ones! (: if she does well with a plastic bag and rock bottle, try an old bedsheet or "cape" like object, just something light that flows (but always keep it away from her legs - and make sure it's flimsy enough she can tear it up rather than break a neck if she does happen to step on it!)

Once she's great at ignoring light objects, try heavier ones! I've used bailing twine tied to the buckles near the horn of my saddle to hold things like a very small, but still weighty, tire from an old kid's bike, something that has a little impact (but obviously doesn't tear up/bruise them!) to simulate your leg. From there, it's easy to switch to intentionally bouncing your legs'/heels on her sides rhythmically while walking, trotting, and even loping! It doesn't sound like you'll be able to over-do it and make her "dead-sided" (believe me, it takes way more than that to make them dull. Horses are way too smart!)

Does she collect/give her face to you at all while under saddle? That is also a good place to start when trying to teach "good" pressure. If you can teach her to flex to both sides, and put her head down when asked (good to practice for bridling/haltering too lol) it's great to transfer those things into saddle.

Another thing (I'm so sorry this is so lengthy already lol) is, if it's forward motion she's being overly sensitive to, to practice using your legs in a way that doesn't mean "go forward." For instance, things like pivoting on the fore and hindquarters uses leg, but doesn't mean "speed up." Also, teaching her to side pass is incredibly useful and will help soften her reaction to her sides. And again, it's best to teach these things on the ground first (youtube videos of showmanship are a nice visual of #goals lol) before the saddle. And when you get to where she's good at pivots/sidepassing under saddle, you can move on to more forward things like leg-yields super easily!

I hope this helped, but definitely don't feel obligated to try anything you don't feel safe about/ready for. :)
_
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."- Proverbs 16:24

sunny*days*ahead

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby acronymm » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:45 am

Thank you for all the tips! I will definitely try out all of that!! ❤️ I don't ride her in the round pen, I do lunge her there though! I ride her in the arena c; I also ride English, so unfortunately, the saddle doesn't have a horn to hang stuff on to. But I have been working with her ground manners, which she had been doing amazing with so far! She also does pay attention to me when I'm riding, often giving me glances when we're just resting in the middle of the arena!

When we first got her, she was so skinny, with scars and no muscles. Now, she's a little round to say the least, definitely feeling a whole lot better and more spirited. She indeed is a sensitive baby girl though, I'm very proud of how far she's coming!

Again, thank you so much for all the help! I enjoyed reading it all, no matter how lengthy lol!! ❤️❤️

about wrote:
hey there!
acro/lyn ▴ she/they
feel free to send me a message, im friendly!
████████████
████████████
━━━━━ 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████

status wrote:
on
and off
doing oekaki things
xxxx♡ ♡

━━━━━━━━━━━━ 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐬 𝐚
acronymm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby paleosuchus » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:55 am

Hello, has anyone ever gotten a proffesional photographer take photos of their horses? I want a wedding shot similar to the one linked below of myself and my lease mare but I am a little worried she might freak out when she see's the cameras and a stranger. I had my senior photos with this photographer so I know she is really great and can capture nature beautifully so I'm not too worried but just curious. :)
Cred of photo to maybel pictures
Selene . they/them
aries . adult
Hoarding the Halloween’22 gummy snakes!
Stay foolish to Stay sane

Pet's name: Gumsworth, Lord of the Gumlings
credit . link . hoard
paleosuchus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Stargazing » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:04 pm

Hello everybody!

I used to LOVE taking horseback riding lessons, but unfortunately it was giving me tons of knee pain and making my knees bowed a bit. The thing is, I only did it for the whole school year and I already had something happen to me? I really want to start riding again, but my knees will just give me problems again. Have y'all have this happen to you? What can I do to fix the situation?

Thank you for reading! <3
ImageImage
Image ImageImageImage
Stargazing

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:30 pm

@Honeybears: Kinda. My friend photographs as a hobby for most part, but she's pretty good and has fancy camera that she knows how to use. I just don't like to be in the pictures myself, so I've just let my friend take pictures of my horses for most part (for practice mostly though). Though maybe one day it would be nice to get a picture of myself with all 3 of my horses, but unfortunately 2 younger ones might not be patient enough for that... ^^; Graduation picture with them or one of them would be really cool considering how much has happened with them during past 3 years, I would just would need to finish a thesis first and then it's going to be October and the weather is likely icky. : P

@Starbutterfly: I have had occasional knee pains from riding. It can be a tack thing, like your stirrups are too short and you have excess tension on your knee and I've also heard that people with knee issues say certain type of stirrups are better than others for them. But really the most likely issue is that you are not using your body correctly, which is causing wrong type of stress to your knees. I had a pilates instructor point out that most commonly if your knees hurt from exercise, like when riding a bike, you are not holding your legs straight and the knee is not bend in right angle. Of course there could be actual underlying health problems, but for young person those are unlikely. Seeing a physiotherapist could help and they can give you tips on how to strengthen the knee area more. My mom has also found osteopathy helpful for her knee issues, which the doctors can't find a solid reason.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sunny*days*ahead » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:36 am

honeybears - I'd say if your horse is chill enough for you to wear a large, flowy dress like that while on it's back, they are not likely to be sensitive to the camera person or their equipment. If you're still worried, though, it wouldn't hurt to ask the photographer to use a longer lens, which will make them have to stand farther away. (And it gives great DOF!)

Star Butterfly: What style of riding do you do? Typically English is rougher on the knees simply because it requires more movement in the trot, or half seat in the canter, but have you gotten the chance to ride Western style? Many people find it's still a workout, but easier on the knees in particular! It's also possible like Hime above said, that your equitation may be off a bit, causing too much pressure on your knees. Try asking your instructor/coach about your form!
Also, what type of horse do you ride? If it's possible, request a horse with a more narrow frame. I ride english and western, but it's far easier to ride a wide/fat horse in western tack than english! xD If you don't have to widen your hips as much, it'll help keep your legs under you more and you won't have that "bow-legged" feeling nearly as much!
_
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."- Proverbs 16:24

sunny*days*ahead

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Stargazing » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:41 am

sunny*days*ahead wrote:honeybears - I'd say if your horse is chill enough for you to wear a large, flowy dress like that while on it's back, they are not likely to be sensitive to the camera person or their equipment. If you're still worried, though, it wouldn't hurt to ask the photographer to use a longer lens, which will make them have to stand farther away. (And it gives great DOF!)

Star Butterfly: What style of riding do you do? Typically English is rougher on the knees simply because it requires more movement in the trot, or half seat in the canter, but have you gotten the chance to ride Western style? Many people find it's still a workout, but easier on the knees in particular! It's also possible like Hime above said, that your equitation may be off a bit, causing too much pressure on your knees. Try asking your instructor/coach about your form!
Also, what type of horse do you ride? If it's possible, request a horse with a more narrow frame. I ride english and western, but it's far easier to ride a wide/fat horse in western tack than english! xD If you don't have to widen your hips as much, it'll help keep your legs under you more and you won't have that "bow-legged" feeling nearly as much!

I have ridden English saddle and my instructor one time fixed my legs on the stirrups and I felt so much pain, but why? I always tried to make sure my back is straight and such, and my instructor never really corrected me on my posture or anything... I have never ridden Western saddle, since my stable does not have that. Most of the time I used to ride wider horses (draft horses) but sometimes smaller ones. Thank you for the help! Also thank you to Hime!
ImageImage
Image ImageImageImage
Stargazing

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Huggles » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:02 am

Star Butterfly wrote:Hello everybody!

I used to LOVE taking horseback riding lessons, but unfortunately it was giving me tons of knee pain and making my knees bowed a bit. The thing is, I only did it for the whole school year and I already had something happen to me? I really want to start riding again, but my knees will just give me problems again. Have y'all have this happen to you? What can I do to fix the situation?

Thank you for reading! <3

I used to have the same issue. You may be using your body incorrectly or it may just be how some people are. I personally use shock absorbing stirrups and its made a big difference, but since you are taking lessons that might be a bit inconvenient haha. I would suggest play around with stirrup length, how you put your feet in the stirrups etc. If you are straining your feet/over flexing it strains your knees, so dont brace on your feet. That was my problem. It sucks but do no stirrup work, build up your muscle, and it will make a big difference.
Im quitting and ISO art! Link to refs and cs thread
Huggles

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sunny*days*ahead » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:34 am

Star Butterfly - Oh no! Bummer about no western riding, lol! Hrm, you definitely shouldn't feel in pain, though. When I was correcting my leg positions in the beginning, it was very uncomfortable to hold it in the correct place, but you should start to get used to it, developing muscle memory and such. If you position is nice enough that your instructor (provided you have a good one hehe) isn't harping on you about something like your toes being pointed out or etc, it very well may be a problem unrelated to riding. Riding just may be the thing that sets it off, if that makes sense?

My best advice is to be straightforward with your instructor, saying something like "I'd really like to focus on my riding position during this lesson, riding is killing my knees and I don't want to have to quit the sport due to pain if it's something I'm able to fix through proper riding equitation."
If she/he doesn't have any groundbreaking tips/corrections for you, then I'd go to a doctor or a walk-in clinic (these are usually $25 upfront, and your insurance if you have any will cover the rest so it's typically cheaper than a doctor visit - sorry if you already know all this, I don't know how old anyone is here lol). There, you can explain your riding situation (and tell them to buggar off if they think it's not a real sport ;D) and see if there is some kinda physical therapy or certain exercises/stretches you can do outside of the barn that would help.
_

sunny*days*ahead

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me