Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby Livid-Silver » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:58 am

@MochiTheDoggo; Also going to be bluntly honest here, but that horse is in no condition to be broken in, regardless of his age. If that picture is recent he is still very under weight. Plus he's still got an awful lot of growing to do if he's only two (I agree with Hime in the fact I am skeptical he even IS two. Looks more like a long yearling, but could be due to weight) He WILL need hard feeding in order to get enough calories and good nutrition to return to a healthy weight AND supply all he needs to grow into a mature horse and any hard feed/new feed you add in must be introduced slowly to avoid colic. In regards to your last post, he needs to get back to health BEFORE he 'gets used to a rider on his back'. 'Breaking' him now is probably going to do nothing in the long run. He is underweight and isn't going to have a lot of energy, so he probably won't have a lot of 'fight' (which a well prepared horse shouldn't anyway), but he behaviors will change once he is feeling better and you'll be back a square one. Plus, a two year old is very skeletally and mentally immature and the great majority of them are not ready for ridden work. You say is is very sweet but skittish and to me, that means he is not ready to be broken in. He's missed some handling steps per say. Furthermore, horses will often loosen condition when they are being broken. They often get a little stressed and their energy requirements increase, hence why its very common for them to drop off during this period. So that would be a third strike against him being broken in now.
Also, has he been checked for the presence of wolf teeth? Approximately 70% of horses have them and they do need to be removed before bitting a horse up. These teeth sit just in front of the first molar, pretty much right where the bit sits, so I'm sure you can imagine why they cause issues. They most commonly appear on the upper jaw, but I do believe some horses get them along the lower jaw as well. If these teeth aren't removed and you start riding them, there is the possibly of the teeth fracturing from pressure from the bit, as well as causing general pain and discomfort due to the interference by the bit.
I'm also going to echo the concerns about you getting some lessons in. The more the better. Young green horses are a different kettle of fish compared to your 'bog standard' horse. You have to remember they know literally nothing about being ridden and so the cues can be a little hit and miss for awhile, until they have more miles under their belt. In the beginning they need a lot of guidance and a 'helping hand' so they can become accustom and confident as a ridden horse. You'd have to confident and competent to deal with whatever young horse quirks he happens to have which could potentially include bucking/bolting/rearing, at the moment it would be impossible to say. However, whatever trainer you send him too, hopefully does a good job and it is not that extreme.
My tl;dr is that he needs more weight before being broken and preferably shouldn't be until he is at least a 3 year old. Expect his behavior to change as he gains condition. Get lessons as soon as you can with a good instructor and log some solid hours riding :)
Livid-Silver

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: New to this world... Kinda

Postby warmblood » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:25 am

MochiTheDoggo wrote:So I am new to this... k i n d a. I have loved horses for years, ever since I was a little bab; h o w e v e r, I am new to this in the since I am getting my first horse in a few months, he's being broken right now and he is in need of a lot of care and love which he will be spoiled with me, I have been riding horses for a couple of months, every time I hang out with my friend we ride, but I am nervous because I don't really know exactly what I am doing, I know I want to show him, my friend is going to teach me some English riding more but I also am going to learn western. So are there any tips because I will honestly take what I can get.

Background: His real name is Chance, his original owner got him from a kill auction, I am in the process of changing his name to Taavi (it means adored) His show name is Give me more money, also in the process of changing that to Willow Tree March. He is slowly putting on weight, was once extremely under weight, I am talking with someone to see if we should put him on special feed since his owner right now feeds him enough to keep him moving pretty much, he's two years old and a sweet heart but a little skittish.

20747152_1086377168173620_371147335_o.jpg

I apologize if this seems blunt, but you should NOT be getting a horse if you have only been riding for a couple months. I always tell my beginner lesson kids' parents that they shouldn't get a horse until they have been riding consistently at least once a week for a couple years. Even after they've been riding for ideally AT LEAST 2-4 years they should get a old and experienced horse, not a young green two year old. The expression green and green equals black and blue applies to this. A green rider and a green horse are a terrible mix, and will end up in lost confidence and lots of injuries. If you can, please hold off getting this horse at least for another year, preferable a couple and get a seasoned horse once you are comfortable and experienced in the equestrian world.
CRAZY ,
┌───────────┐

formerly halø & pills
i enjoy roleplaying, &
playing a large variety
of sports. i ♡ music ;)
i also show jump horses!
i love dogs,and currently i
own a red boston terrier,
feel free to give me a pm, or
send me a trade. I speak
several languages.

└───────────┘
❝ MY REALITY IS ❞
JUSTImage
── FROM YOURS . ──
CRE
DIT

────────
bee!
[[ link here ]]
[[ link here ]]
[[ link here ]]
[[ link here ]]

warmblood

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby •Pony• » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:36 am

So I have been riding horses for the past seven years and I have recently been fortunate enough to get a horse. She is a 12 year old QH mare and a rescue horse with no name. I have been struggling to find a name for this sweet girl and I was hoping you wonderful people could help me. I am more interested in unique and less common names but I do not want a mouthful since she already has quite the registered name. I would rather not like her name to be tied to her registered name because it is not my favorite. A huge thanks goes out to anyone who tries to help and I really appreciate it!
IMG_8877.jpg
IMG_8877.jpg (259.01 KiB) Viewed 89 times

IMG_88762.jpg
IMG_88762.jpg (266.44 KiB) Viewed 89 times
xxxxxxx
links:
dusa
tolters
aiwp
coding
mae

bears created my avatar
Image Image Image Image Image Image
•Pony•

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kestrell » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:40 am

@Pony
I quite like Rowena! But what is her registered name? sometimes i like to theme barn names after a horse's show name!

@Mochi
I'm sorry, but it seems as though we all have the same opinion about your horse. I get it, you love horses and wanted to do some good. But you probably are doing that young horse a great deal of harm just because you really don't know all that much. In a perfect world I would suggest getting rid of him to a proper home that knows how to retrain a young horse. I have seen plenty of horses ruined by young owners who go out an buy just because they are starting riding lessons. They get the young horse that will "grow with them" and put them with a trainer. The problem is, young uneducated riders can't tell what a good proper rider is from someone who uses shortcuts in training they end up with horses that are unfit for work. And you really shouldn't be putting saddles near that horse. You should be feeding him and talking with a VET about his nutrition. He likely needs different feeds from normal horses because that poor growing baby probably has some catching up to do in the nutrition department. You could look up different halter and groundwork games to do. Get a trainer to help teach you to lunge (at the walk) because that's a skill he will need to know when getting saddled or ridden for the first few times. I don't know how skittish he is but just spend time with him. Feed him treats, pet him etc. The more he gets to know you the better and easier his transition into normal life will be. Although i really don't like when a green rider takes on a green horse (ESPECIALLY A RESCUE) I think you really need to make the best of your situation...

------------------------------------------------
Hey guys! I don't know if any of you would remember me since its been such a long time since I've posted here... a lot has changed since then. I used to own a dutch warmblood named Sam (and before that I've posted about my old lease horses). We ended up selling Sam due to reasons i don't want to really expound on. But in short as soon as we brought him home he started having behavior issues that just got worse and it was obvious he needed a better home. I am currently looking for my next partner... I've also completed my C1 in US pony club in the time i was gone and I still am an eventer! I'd love to meet all the new people who have joined since i left...
Last edited by Kestrell on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello I am Kestrel! Call me whatever
I go by she/her pronouns
I am very fond of any sort of art
I am usually very shy...but I don't bite!

LinkLink
coding
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kestrell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ❧Emmylou » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:18 am

@Mochi
Sorry to seem so obnoxious, but that horse shouldn't be broken in. It should be putting on lots of weight and getting lots of rest whilst maybe getting a bit of handling. And I hate to seem rude, but you probably shouldn't be buying a horse if you are new to this sport. If you in a position where you need a horse, maybe you should try leasing, but definitely take at least a year of lessons from a professional before leasing. Buying a horse is a huge commitment and (if you find the right one) leasing gives you a taste of that, with an opportunity to back out if it gives financial problems or you and the horse don't exactly 'click'. If I where you, I would look into leasing and lessons.

@Pony
She looks very calm amd sweet for a rescue! It may be hard to find a name for her since I never saw her in person, but I found one that may fit her- Amanah -A warrior at heart who is faithful and loyal. Hope that helps c:

The reason I poster here was because a week ago my horse passed away. Earlier in the week, he had a puncture wound on his inside gaskin (back left), and he must've had some kind of a small fracture, because by the day before I wanted to show him, his wound has looking good but he was still lame. Even though my trainer said he'd be fine, he's okay, I didn't show him, but the next day after showing with a different horse, I went to find him in the way back of the pasture with a broken leg that was bleeding from his artery. Needless to say we put him down.
We could've got a screening, but from that point his artery was draining completely, and his leg was definitely broken (I'll save you the gory details but it was absolutely horrible). Since he was standing up, and the 'wound' per say, was in the exact same spot it was ealier this week, it was most likely a stress fracture (two vet techs we know and the vet that there that night all said it was broken when he had the puncture wound.)
And what if I did show him like my trainer said too? He jumps and if that broken leg was a stress fracture I could've easily be killed. A couple states over, a barrel racer's horse had a heart attack whilst rounding the barrel, and no one made it.

That's the second horse that passed this year, the first was old and had colic. I just feel super depressed and I'm not sure I'll be able to ride well in my qualifiers next week. (We found a horse it's just a matter of learning it)
xxxxxxgryffindor - aries - INTJ
xxxPreferred Pronouns- Your Majesty
xxxxx───────────────────
llxHi! I am ~Emmylou and average
lldespite the fact that I am obsessed
with Eddie Redmayne. I love reading
xespecially old classics. My favorites
are P&P, Narnia, And LOTR. I compete
xxxin eventing with my horse Mister
xxxlxDarcy (May he Rest In Peace)
xxxxx───────────────────

❧Emmylou

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:27 pm

@ Hime

to the dog, i did write something in the other Forum p127^^

that really sounds so much stress and work with saddles :lol:
i was so lucky that i did not have the problem with my saddle or saddle with hose, that i still use, since when i was a kid or teen, must ask my mom when i got it^^

Great that it ooks like the right saddle for you and two of your horses, maybe Fykja too in some year, with the Mustang :)

It will be fun with Heta near your school, hope you get some nice lessons there when time, or when it is one lesson in school:)
Good luck with the srable-paddock-pasture friend for her.

Did you maybe think about sending Heta after the school is over, to a nice trainer or ask the owner of your barn to work her, to train her in more clean tolt...? and maybe really try a little bit more heavy shoes at the front hoofs.
and maybe ride some good tolting horses for some time too so that you get the bether feeling again for it, then you maybe could do the training of her too when L or other trainer watches. :)

My mom told me the same sometimes with my girl^^... push her a bit more, let her not so loose(still dont get what she did mean with this^^), that we could have both done nicely in show when we would not have been so lazy and i pushed her more....as she had a great tolt and pace, and nice other gaits...when she did want to and at good days.. but was to thickheaded and sometimes lazy when she was not to hot in work at some days.....,to work so hard for shows....could be great some day and the other day asking me if we really need to do this again... (kolkus line is sometimes no fun), and i was always to unsure an fearful riding in front of others, now im a bit bether but no horse here...^^ but she still did teach me so much^^

MochiTheDoggo wrote:Most of the stables and barns around me require you pay for a month's worth of riding and not just go for a week or so, and he has been, I am not sure how regularly he has been though, My original plan for him was she was just going to get him saddle broken so he's used to having one on his back and wearing tack then let him start to get back to health, doing light ground work with him when she can, I wasn't planning on riding him for a while, until he was back to full health and had been boarded at the barn I chose for a couple of months so he could get used to his new surroundings and such.

then talk with the stables and Barns, maybe there is a way, as you are a beginner and Need to learn as much as possible and ride different horses and get lessons by different Trainers you may Need to look around and try them out to find the right barn for your Needs and a trainer that works really well with you...and maybe in 1-2 years with you and your horse.
so maybe do a test month with contract, so when it works not well that you can get out and get money back.... when you offer to help out sometimes in the stable as you Need this knowledge too, they may do this and maybe give free lessons for some h work here and there.

dont start the training with saddle till he got more weight (this can take 1-3 years ), and enough muscle and his mind is ready for any Training from a human....and then only first time saddle or bridle, when he is fully trained from the ground in every way..after he got more weight, rest freetime, good food and muscle.....!!
so give him time, be patient, and start in 1/2-1year with light easy ground training like simply wallking on the trail or forest or street and so on....no tack than a long training rope, a rope halter and a normal leadrope and halter....

for this he needs free time on the pasture with other horses and lots of running there, good hay, Mineral feed, some grain maybe, oil like linseed...herbs..

But i see no problem with green horse and green owner and future rider
( as riding only will be in 2-3 years or so, and after he did go to professional trainer who can train a horse well enough for a green rider needs....or can tell in the Training when it really will not work for a green rider!!!)
and you di say that you want to get as much riding training as possible....^^
so maybe still sign up for a month, even when you do not like the Trainer 100%... as long as they are good with there horses and watch out for the rider and try to teach them well it should be a good start...and after this month you can try out an different trainer or stable-barn and riding style...Change between dressage,, jumping, western and trail and groundwork training classes so that you get enough from all of them and maybe find something that could go for you and your horse in some years when he is well again and professional trainer...
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LissaJo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:23 am

@Mochi

Most barns will allow you to do a trial week and see if you are a right fit in their barn..

I am with everyone else. The horse is too young, underweight, and if you want a horse, please get one that will teach you.. we have a saying green plus green equals black and blue (inexperienced horse and rider equals injuries)
LissaJo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby canter that pone » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:04 pm

Hello there, I've been riding for about six years now, been riding the horse I'm on currently for about a year and a half. Her name is Red and she's a chestnut qh x tb that's about 6 years old. When I started riding her she was very green (still kinda is) and had a lot of attitude most times she was ridden but I've been really happy with her recently because she's starting to settle down and be going so good. It just makes me so happy to see how far we've come, from her being really green, not understanding what is asked, rearing and rodeoing if she felt overwhelmed and me falling off multiple times to now being calm and collected, having nice transitions and waiting for me to tell her when to jump instead of just taking off when she wants. There was so many times I wanted to give up because it felt like I wasn't getting anywhere with her but I'm so glad I stuck with her.
I support true equality.
Whether that be of genders, sexes, sexualities, ethnicities, religions, or anything else.
Straight? Fine. Homosexual? Fine. Genderfluid? Fine. Polyromantic? Fine.
I won't judge, and that's something I can always promise.
You are you, and you are wonderful, beautiful, anything you want to be.
Don't let anyone tell you differently.
// ISFP //
Feel free to pm me if you ever need to talk, I won't bite~ ^^
canter that pone

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:03 am

@Luzien: I think I read your post about the dogs, just been too busy lately to type up anything...
Honestly with how much money I have put into Tý's training and then probably lessons in future, I feel like Heta will be little less priority. Or at least I won't put any money on someone else training her. We've been doing okay recently, I think she's liking the new saddle, only issue we've had lately is her being not that nice from the mouth. I'm having her teeth checked out soon though, just in case. ^^ I've been actually pushing her quite a bit, sometimes I wonder if too much, and somethings aren't quite clicking currently, so I have somethings to figure out.
Busy busy... I realised last week that I have like 3 weeks until start of school, thus end of my summer course and I haven't done even half of my assignments(3, but 2 are divided into 2 parts so technically 5 tasks), which are to be presented someday next week. So I just spent the whole weekend trying to finish them up, and still not done as I get easily distracted. ^^;
R rode Tý at one point and pointed out the saddle does seem to tip forward little bit. So I've been keeping a folded over gel pad under the front lately. I don't know if it was R's riding or the saddle tweaking but he's been much better with tolt as long as I can keep my seat in check. I also gathered my courage and cantered with him on the arena for the first time today, as he's been pretty good othervise. ^^ That went pretty well too, like his canter is surprisingly soft. Only problem is that he's a typical unbalanced 5 gaiter, so ofcourse pace he goes in the corners. : P So I only cantered on the long sides couple times. He's also starting to shed his summer coat and grow the winter coat, and the temperatures have been bit too hot for that.
Heta got clipped today. XD Well partial clip and I left the hair tad too long maybe so I'll have to do it again tomorrow I think... Friend tipped me that a cheap dog clipper can be used, so I went and bought one for 12e. And it actually really worked. :o Like I doubt it would work on super thick winter coat of an Icelandic horse, but it did good job againts the fall version. The reason I clipped her is because the weather has been really warm when it's sunny and she has pretty thick coat already so she gets very sweaty even from light work and is basically dripping when actually put to work... First time I've clipped her and she didn't bat an eye to the machine. I have last clipped a horse like around 2008-2010, and that was once, so it's not the prettiest work I guess but it'll do.

I have been considering trying out different bit with Heta. While she works okay with the three piece snaffle, I've had some issues with her mouth lately. She sort of works and comes to the bit nicely at first, but then she gets too low, clingy and just not responding. Like I can lift my hand very up and she's not following it. I'm out of tricks with my other aids as well, and she's just not co-operating... I think curbs in this situation are out, as they tend to be more nose down way of working... Single joint snaffle I think I will try, but I don't know what else. Any suggestions?
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby xChry. » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:17 pm

Wow it's been months since I've been on 😳 Here's a quick update!! My horse and I are reaching a personal best. I have a gorgeous blue roan filly who I started over the summer and she's coming along FANTASTICALLY! I have ties to Jane Melby and Connie Combs and they both just love her. I have super high hopes! I am getting my WORA Permit and plan to fill that and get my pro card! You might see me on tv 😉 Even though you don't know who I am 😂😂 did you guys see STEVIS run?! She was smoking! Still is! On her five year old too!!
Barrel racer, cutter, and roper!
All things horse and God <3
xChry.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me